Sign in to follow this  
bum71

Horrible Performance...

Well i got my hard drive in today ups and i have posted allready performace before with my IDE hard drive in a earlier thread. So well see what i get in the same system with just changing the hard drive and ill report here the results. biggrin_o.gif this should show if the hard drive is in fact the bottleneck or not.

Well i got my hard drive in today ups and i have posted allready performace before with my IDE hard drive in a earlier thread. So well see what i get in the same system with just changing the hard drive and ill report here the results. biggrin_o.gif this should show if the hard drive is in fact the bottleneck or not.

Yeah, a new "clean" HD with a new OS and driver installations should give you better performance.

I'll congratulate you on your 5 fps improvement early tounge2.gif .

If you are so serious about this make proper tests, format your current hd and reinstall everything before making the ultimate HD comparison wink_o.gif .

edit: Be sure your current HD isnt damaged too...

Again i've got a decent rig p4 3.2,1 gig of ram and a geforce7600gs 512 mbram. Why should guy's like me even be reading stuff like chage bios setting's,overclock stuff,reformat,reinstall windows ect ect ect ?Flip in hec as the penny dropped with anyone yet that their is somthing wrong with this game Any one neds proof that us normal people with normal rigs are wasting our time trying to say somethings wrong with the game see sniper skulls rude and abusive reply 3 post's below

Yeah well put my friend .

System specs are...

ASUS A8N SLI MOBO

AMD 4800X2+ optimized

2 7800GTX's SLI OC

2GB CORSAIR XMS RAM

HIPER 580R PSU

AUDIGY SB2ZS

All under control and all kept cool also all the latest drivers.

I was getting damn hot fps running FEAR with 95% of settings flat out.

I want this game to run smooth thats all and this system should be doing this with its eyes closed.

I like this game alot but it's doing my nut in being unable to play it like it should be played.

Here's my specs.

XFX 7800GT 256mg 473/1150 (91.73 Tweaks R Us)

2gigs Gskill@ddr520 3-4-4-8-12

3200 Venice@2.6, socket 939

Defragged, Prime stable, good drivers, play AA, UT2k4 mods, Joint Ops maxed, GRAW medium details, all at 1440x900. Tried this demo that was recommended by a friend, and all I can say is, call me in 2011 when we're all playing on 4ghz octagon cores and 1 ghz/1gig GPUs. The engine in this demo is GARBAGE and good luck porting it to the USA where most people have a 6600 card and a P4 and a gig or less of ram. This game has serious potential yes, and I would love to play it, coop loocks great, but...

I would rather hit myself in the head with a hammer repeatedly then play any game at 22 fps with no AA AF or details at 1024x768, for my brains on the carpet would look much prettier.

I would rather hit myself in the head with a hammer repeatedly then play any game at 22 fps with no AA AF or details at 1024x768, for my brains on the carpet would look much prettier.

Do it, would mean one less moany bitch on here.

For those that are interested ill be putting all the data from before my hard drive upgrade and my results now here in the next day or two but heres something that was interesting.

Before

1280X1024

1200 view distance

Setting Normal

Advance Tab  every thing off

everything set on low

30 FPS

Now

1280x1024

5000 view distance *Update 10000 View Distance no FPS Drop OFF*

Setting: Very High

Advanced Tab: Everything Max

50 FPS

Also the ingame sounds sound alot better to me

No FPS drop off in the woods or bushes

Bullets fire Straight with hardly any drop at 500M

No shoot threw of soldiers or Vehicles

will hopefully get two testing different shader model 2 cards

ATI and Nvidia

Do it, would mean one less moany bitch on here.

lol but he does have a point. Hopefully futurepatches will help this issue as i too just purchased a new gaming computer and every other game i play is practicaly oh high, so.... i think more or less the problems many are experiencing are due to the many bugs and lack of beta testing, but.. i think only time will tell. all i know is there is no reason for a game with this much potential to have to be played with settings so low that it and the orginal flashpoint are not much different visually speaking lol ....

Quote[/b] ]For those that are interested ill be putting all the data from before my hard drive upgrade and my results now here in the next day or two but heres something that was interesting.

Before

1280X1024

1200 view distance

Setting Normal

Advance Tab every thing off

everything set on low

30 FPS

Now

1280x1024

50 FPS

ATI and Nvidia

I call BS. A hard drive can't make all that difference. Either the old one was broken or your just trying to ruffle everyone's feathers here. If its the latter then shame on you.

i have a old old system compared to many here and its no lie, whats the point in that because it doesnt help anyone that are having issues to do it. Im not some 15 year old kid trying to jerk people chains all along in this thread.

Oswald open the thread because of performance issues and it just seems that im the only one that tried to figure it out while every else just to me to go away and that im crazy that it cant be a hard drive bandwidth issue.

So you think after 20 some pages im going to lie about it? Come on bro get real and at least think about it.

I'm sorry but that's not very believable results

PC: AMD +4200 x2 (AM2), 2Gb ddr2 (800Mhz), GF 7900GT 256Mb

ArmA: everything on normal, aa off, af low, viewdistance 1200

FPS is about 20 on very foresty areas (like in the 'convoy ambush' sp mission) but usually runs at 25-28, except near bushes, can go up to 40-50 on more deserted areas...

You say things like these on the pages back:

Quote[/b] ]Where i think everyone needs to be is around 130 to 150Mbps which is a SATA Hard Drive to get there performance gains.
Quote[/b] ]What all three rigs have in common SATA Hard drives. Which the SATA 3.0GPS giving you there best performance because of the bandwidth supplied from it.

Well, I'm running the game on SATA 3gb/s which runs about 200Mb/s (can't remember the cache) so myth busted already huh.gif ..

Alll i can say is dont believe me and sit here and complain about your game not running correctly for the next 2 years.

Sometimes to solve issues you have to think outside the box solve them. Theres alot more stuff being stream from the Hard Drive besides just the island and my results reflect what are shown.

For those that are interested ill be putting all the data from before my hard drive upgrade and my results now here in the next day or two but heres something that was interesting.

Before

1280X1024

1200 view distance

Setting Normal

Advance Tab every thing off

everything set on low

30 FPS

Now

1280x1024

50 FPS

ATI and Nvidia

I'm gonna call BS on this one too...

Got some screenshots, maybe even some fraps video to prove these claims? Prefereably take a picture or two with a digital camera, or record footage on another pc so that the extra activity wont cause you slowdown.

To quote a popular phrase on another forum:

"Pics or it didnt happen"

Alll i can say is dont believe me and sit here and complain about your game not running correctly for the next 2 years.

Sometimes to solve issues you have to think outside the box solve them. Theres alot more stuff being stream from the Hard Drive besides just the island and my results reflect what are shown.

Why dont you do what Deadmeat said above, AND, run that silly test of yours again, so your magical HD is comparable to other HDs icon_rolleyes.gif

:/ It can't be related to your HD, I think it really is complex alpha or pixel shader, my 9800pro had same issues with shrubs up close an did go away once I upgraded to a x1950pro.. no new HD and prob is gone. wink_o.gif

Like i said above i am putting everything together, i guess you guys missed the whole point.

Increasing the view distance and settings to max = No frame rate lost.

Meaning the GPU isnt under load because it is only rendering what being streamed from the HD.

Just like in flashpoint and every other PC Format game when you incresed the settings you lost FPS because the GPU is under load.

I guess i sould start selling my magical computers to flashpoint/armed assault players and ill even say i can almost bet before i start testing Shader model 2 cards that the lower the onboard ram on the Video card the better like 128MB.

Quote[/b] ]

Now

1280x1024

50 FPS

All i can say berghoff is your 1950 playing at these settings

I guess i sould start selling my magical computers to flashpoint/armed assault players and ill even say i can almost bet before i start testing Shader model 2 cards that the lower the onboard ram on the Video card the better like 128MB.

Lower video RAM the better? Can a mod please ban him. Why do the mods not do anything about this guy spreading rubbish and spamming the forum?

Like i said above i am putting everything together, i guess you guys missed the whole point.

Increasing the view distance and settings to max = No frame rate lost.

Meaning the GPU isnt under load because it is only rendering what being streamed from the HD.

Just like in flashpoint and every other PC Format game when you incresed the settings you lost FPS because the GPU is under load.

This just gets better and better...

Ok, rather than argueing with you, since you seem so set in your ways that you have the perfect setup, I will pose you a question:

According to your ideal specification, my "old" PC should be pretty much the ideal PC to play ArmA on;

Its a single core P4 (HT turned OFF for this test) running @ 3.2GHz

2Gb of fast RAM (tho the RAM is apparently unimportant)

160GB HDD, on SATA, with data throughput of 150Mb/s max, and averaging around 135Mb/s

and a 9800 Pro with 128mb VRAM.

Yet I am unable to get more than an average of 20FPS in built up areas, and I'm certainly unable to push the view distance beyond 2000m without it becoming a slideshow anywhere.

Now, my question to YOU (I know exactly why it actually happens) is why is this happening? Since my hard disc is certainly capable of streaming the data fast enough, and according to you my setup is "ideal" for playing ArmA (single core, 128mb gfx card, fast hdd). Surely whiskey, font of all knowledge, my rig should be capable of maxing ArmA out because it has everything you say I need to run ArmA maxed?

Disclaimer: I am well aware of what is actually causing my performance issues when trying to run ArmA, previous statements are simply made in an attempt to make WhiskeyBullets realise the crap he's trying to pedal simply isnt washing with those of us who actually have half a brain to figure out what is really at fault...

Ok .. getting bored now.

I am reading an awfull lot of discussion regarding the same thing over and over again.

WhiskeyBullets - I think I have seen you reitterate yourself enough times now. While this is a discussion on performance this is not a dicussion on your own personal opinion of the topic. Might I also add you may consider adding a touch of humility to your posts. Arrogance is an ugly thing to see.

Everyone else, can we move on from the HDD topic now, it has clearly been thoroughly discussed, some agree some disagree, thats life. Move on to other aspects or locked this shall be

Thanks smile_o.gif

This is my system before

P4 3.2 Socket 478

1024MB DDR 400 Dual Channel

MSI PT880 Socket 478 Motherboard

BFG 650 Watt Power Supply

BFG 7800GS 256MB AGP Video Card

Maxtor 7200RPM 16MB 250GB IDE HARD DRIVE

This is my system now

P4 3.2 Socket 478

1024MB DDR 400 Dual Channel

MSI PT880 Socket 478 Motherboard

BFG 650 Watt Power Supply

BFG 7800GS 256MB AGP Video Card

WD1600JS 7200RPM 8MB 160GB SATA 300 HARD DRIVE

Key FeaturesFast - 8 MB cache - Keeps more of your data in high-speed memory for unsurpassed performance in its class. Fast 7200 RPM spindle speed and next-generation SATA 300 MB/s interface. For even higher performance, consider WD Caviar SE16 SATA 300 MB/s hard drives.

Cool - Cool operation results in the highest reliability, even in intensely hot environments such as digital video recorders. That's why these, the coolest on the market, are the drives of choice for the world's leading consumer electronics and PC manufacturers.

Quiet - The technology that Tom's Hardware Guide called "very fast and nearly silent" is used throughout this family of drives. Our WhisperDriveâ„¢ technology minimizes noise to levels near the threshold of human hearing. To cut seek noise, SoftSeekâ„¢ technology streamlines read/write seeking algorithms, resulting in more efficient operation.

Ideal For

High-performance family and business computing. These drives easily handle photo editing and data-intensive multimedia applications.

now you tell me why deadmeat

Quote[/b] ]Arrogance is an ugly thing to see.

What you seem to think is arrogance but not the 20 some pages i have been beat down saying that im wrong and keeping my comprosure threw it.

WhiskeyBullets This will be my only reply/discussion regarding your reply.

Arrogance - someone who in the last 20 pages or so simply refuses to accept even the possibilty he could be wrong.

I have no problem with people fighting there corner, but to never entertain you might just possibly be wrong is foolish.

I do not want a reply to this.

If I see a reply +WL you shall receive.

Now move away from the HDD topic as I previously stated.

If the HDD makes so much impact on FPS (which I can't believe) than BIS should consider to redesign the Arma engine not to be so HDD demanding because it must not be so.

Also BIS can't await of all of all the customers to buy whiskeys type of HDD.

If BIS can't redesign the engine and all of this what whiskey says is true than Arma is the first game which is designed to run on WhiskeyBullets type of HDD. nener.gif

PS: Now moderators give Whiskey please also one WL I think he deserves one too for 20 Pages of arguing I got mine only for 3 pages. smile_o.gif

Ban me because i wont be back on here, you can try to hide the issue Rhodite from everyone but its out for everyone to see.

Later all and for those who take my advice, enjoy Armed Assault the way its suppose to run.