Sign in to follow this  
bum71

Horrible Performance...

Im sure the other cave men were confused when they started getting wacked in the head when one of them used the a stick for the first time.

Im sure the other cave men were confused when they started getting wacked in the head when one of them used the a stick for the first time.

Yes... Probably... But ive no idea what are you saying tounge2.gif

people are quick to dismiss whisky as a loon.

Ok, but even when the developers say that the performance isnt limited my the HD but somewhere else, he continues with 'im right blabla'. He did the same with the FX vs C2D argument, and its just annoying and leads nowhere. There is nothing wrong with looking at certain PC parts in a way noone else did, but when its disproven he should just admit it.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]Another performance problem which i really cant understand (and to get off the HD subject, whiskey wont admit anyway):

Walking close to a bush cuts my (and other peoples) FPS in half! But the weird thing is that it only happens with bushes, not with trees

Bushes it Armed Assault have more textures then trees do and i know im repeating myself, but if your streaming X Mbps a second from your hard drive which is acting as a cap performance wise for your system its going to load so much of the bush and as you get closer it will load more of it causing the FPS to drop.

Quote[/b] ]Ok, but even when the developers say that the performance isnt limited my the HD but somewhere else, he continues with 'im right blabla'. He did the same with the FX vs C2D argument, and its just annoying and leads nowhere. There is nothing wrong with looking at certain PC parts in a way noone else did, but when its disproven he should just admit it..

And how was i disproven, you look at the spec rigs above and nobody i know of with a C2D is running at maxed settings.

Stated Here

Quote[/b] ]AMD 4600+ w/2gigs of 800mhz ddr2 and 2 XFX 7950gt cards sata 3gps- MAX EVERYTHING

Whiskey streaming data about a bush isnt going to cause you an FPS drop :\

Bushes need optimisation, and they will be optimised. Just be patient.. its not a hardware fault its a game optimisation fault.. therefore wait for a patch... they'll fix it eventually...

What all three rigs have in common SATA Hard drives.  Which the SATA 3.0GPS giving you there best performance because of the bandwidth supplied from it.

Arma is not HD-intensive. If you keep an eye on the HD-light on your PC while flying fast around the landscape you will notice the game is accessing your quite often but the LED barely flash. This means it is not fetching alot of data, but more like small pieces frequently. If the game was waiting on data from your H-D you would see your HD-light light up solid and the game would run slow while fetching the data (not low fps, just slow-mo).

The only reason I can think of for the H-D to be the bottleneck is if its severely fragmented so it takes significant time for the game to access the data. Streaming the landscape the way Arma does is pretty much the same as how most flight sims do it. The only requirement those games specify is the space required to store the game.

i have posted my specs before in this thread i think?huh.gif?

pc bought from pc-world 3 years ago-ish?

so gonna be nothing special inside!!!!!

p4 2.8

1 gig ram

ati x300se pro 128mb

game was like a slide show!

2 weeks ago upgraded the g-card to a-ocuk 7900gs 256mb!

game now runs a treat ALL settings on HIGH!!(shadows,AA,AF etc etc)!

VD = 2000

FPS never drops below 25(which is more than acceptable for any co-op,Dm etc i've played)!

Also i have few mates that had same probs-they get better cards=all sorted!

Quote[/b] ]Another performance problem which i really cant understand (and to get off the HD subject, whiskey wont admit anyway):

Walking close to a bush cuts my (and other peoples) FPS in half! But the weird thing is that it only happens with bushes, not with trees

Bushes it Armed Assault have more textures then trees do and i know im repeating myself, but if your streaming X Mbps a second from your hard drive which is acting as a cap performance wise for your system its going to load so much of the bush and as you get closer it will load more of it causing the FPS to drop.

Quote[/b] ]Ok, but even when the developers say that the performance isnt limited my the HD but somewhere else, he continues with 'im right blabla'. He did the same with the FX vs C2D argument, and its just annoying and leads nowhere. There is nothing wrong with looking at certain PC parts in a way noone else did, but when its disproven he should just admit it..

And how was i disproven, you look at the spec rigs above and nobody i know off with a C2D is running at maxed settings.

Sigh....

As soon as the bush comes into rendering range, the textures are loaded into the VRAM and the model into RAM, thats it, streaming done.

Getting closer to the bush does not magically make more textures or models need to be loaded (looking at the files in the plants.pbo each bush uses 1 or 2 textures so the 9 different textures for each lod thing is long dead)

Bushes are FPS killers because they are incredibly high poly structures with high res textures which have complex alpha channels. Nothing to do with the hard drive.

As for the C2D issue, I'm not even going to get back into that one. The ArmA mark figures speak for themselves on that one...

Im streaming the exact same amount of textures whether im 1m from the bush, or 3m, the bush is already in the highest lod anyway, this cant have anything to do with streaming from the HD. (and its 'terrain-streaming', not 'objects-streaming'wink_o.gif

And im not going into the FX vs C2D argument again untill i see a fair benchmark where a FX beats a C2D in both performance and 'price per perfomance'.

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]Bushes are FPS killers because they are incredibly high poly structures with high res textures which have complex alpha channels. Nothing to do with the hard drive.

While i agree/believe this, it still doesnt make sence to me that performance gets worse when you get closer to the bush which stays in the same LOD (those polies dont come falling out of the sky right?)

Quote[/b] ]As for the C2D issue, I'm not even going to get back into that one. The ArmA mark figures speak for themselves on that one

Dead are you playing on max settings with your C2D and your video card?

Quote[/b] ]AMD 4600+ w/2gigs of 800mhz ddr2 and 2 XFX 7950gt cards sata 3gps- MAX EVERYTHING

This one does

ofpforum

Quote[/b] ]Im streaming the exact same amount of textures whether im 1m from the bush, or 3m, the bush is already in the highest lod anyway, this cant have anything to do with streaming from the HD. (and its 'terrain-streaming', not 'objects-streaming'

well think about it this way for every 1m you move thats 1m of total objects you load/stream not just that bush.

EDIT:
Quote[/b] ]Bushes are FPS killers because they are incredibly high poly structures with high res textures which have complex alpha channels. Nothing to do with the hard drive.

While i agree/believe this, it still doesnt make sence to me that performance gets worse when you get closer to the bush which stays in the same LOD (those polies dont come falling out of the sky right?)

Well what might appear to still be the same lod might already be 1 or 2 LODs down from that which you experience "inside" the bush. I've seen a few LOD switches from the highest to the 2nd and even 3rd LODs and the switches are almost impossible to see they're that good.

Thats the only REASONABLE argument I can come up with that isnt plucked out of the sky...

Why it causes such issues on some PC's and not others can only really be explained by conflicting hardware/drivers somewhere in the setup...

P.S. Its "Polys" btw, pet peeve of mine tounge2.gif

Edit:

Quote[/b] ]As for the C2D issue, I'm not even going to get back into that one. The ArmA mark figures speak for themselves on that one

I don't see what "max settings" has to do with anything. And for the record, I don't even OWN a Conroe at this moment in time.

When I get my Conroe, I'll be happy with 5k view distance and everything else on high or very high - which has been documented over and over to be getting good scores on ArmA-Mark.

Sorry for the big pics but:

431-464-195.png

431-464-174.png

So, that's a page filled up smile_o.gif

tounge2.gif

Anyways, this solves the FX vs C2D argument, now i never want to hear something about it again.

Quote[/b] ]P.S. Its "Polys" btw, pet peeve of mine

I was close.. tounge2.gif

well think about it this way for every 1m you move thats 1m of total objects you load/stream not just that bush.

Yes, Whiskey. It must be all the many objects featured in this scene causing my Raptor to halt in its tracks. MisWhiskeyInformation. wink_o.gif Until the developers say otherwise, we just won't know.

foliage2py9.jpg

I am, and it screams. I really don't think we should revisit that issue (as Deadmeat pointed out), I myself will not because I got into a foolish argument that got me a warning last night. You need to come to terms with the fact that Conroe is the best CPU around right now. It's not debatable.

E

Ok just did some tweaking, my fps went from 50-70fps to 100-120fps by just forcing off vertical sync in manage 3d settings in controll panel. I have c2d e6600 oc 3.2ghz and 8800gtx. all settings on high 1200vd. and max res. Need screen shot just ask... thumbs-up.gif

Ok just did some tweaking, my fps went from 50-70fps to 100-120fps by just forcing off vertical sync in manage 3d settings in controll panel. I have c2d e6600 oc 3.2ghz and 8800gtx.  all settings on high 1200vd.  and max res.  Need screen shot just ask...   thumbs-up.gif

Yep, same deal in R6 : Vegas and our rigs are almost identical smile_o.gif

E

I think a lot of people are missing the point here.

Why do people with newer systems experience problems, while others don't. Why do people with older systems experience no problems, while others do? Why do some with older AGP cards out preform newer optimized PCI editions? If anyone can explain this too me I would greatly appreciate it, because I have no idea why the game should decapitate some systems, and not others of lesser or greater components. A unoptimized engine is the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Other PC titles readily adjust to the configuration of the given PC in which the game is installed. This game seems unable to do so. Why is it that I have a "power-box", yet I am given horrid FPS' when looking at foliage? I don't know. Again, it looks as if the engine is highly unoptimized. What it ultimately comes down to is sales sales sales. The min specs on the box are obviously highly intrusive at best, and if a company intends to produce a product, they should offer a honest requirement.

If BIS wishes to suffer the monetary gain because of it then so be it.

There is program that will benchmark your HD called HDtach its a free program that let you know how much bandwidth your getting.

Link here

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

Heres mine and i dont have a FPS drop at that bush performance is ok 30FPS.

1280x1024

View distance 1200

Everything set on low

Advanced tab items are set to off

Video Card BFG 7800GS AGP 256MB

HDtach01032007.jpg

HDSPEC010307_2.jpg

Second pic is my hard drive info threw everet home edition

Maybe we can get some people that dont have any issues post theres to compare performance.

Ok just did some tweaking, my fps went from 50-70fps to 100-120fps by just forcing off vertical sync in manage 3d settings in controll panel. I have c2d e6600 oc 3.2ghz and 8800gtx.  all settings on high 1200vd.  and max res.  Need screen shot just ask...   thumbs-up.gif

Sheesh.  That is to be expected.  That's just what vsync does.  It ensures that one frame is drawn per each refresh of your monitor, which means with a 60 hz monitor you get no more than 60 fps.  The 100-120 you get without it is pretty useless as your monitor is only updating 60 times a second anyway.  In short, turning it off isn't some magical tweak that boosts performance, it just allows your game to update faster than your monitor, which is totally useless.

The only reason to disable vsync is that if you get less than 60 fps, vsync forces the game to draw one frame every 2 monitor updates (to keep things synched) so you have to go down to 30fps.  With 60 hz and vsynch, the only possible fps values are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10 etc (60/2, 60/2 60/3 etc and fraps won't always show exact numbers).  That's the reason some people see their fps go from 60 to 30 when they look at a bush.  If you can get 50 fps but not 60, turn vsync off and you'll get 50 fps instead of 30 (though you'll see artifacts as some screens are half the previous frame and half the new frame since they are no longer synched to monitor refreshes)

If you can get more than 60, there's seriously no need to turn it off, you won't even see the extra.  In short, there can be good reasons to turn off vsync, but boosting your fps to >100 is not one of them.

which is why i get 85fps without tweaking v-sync or anything else

C2D e6600 oc'd to 3.2 per core

8800gtx at stock clocks with latest drivers

raptor 74Gb 10k rpm HD

2 Gb corsair XMS2 Pro

Xp pro 32bit

X-Fi

i do experience a drop around bushes, to about 60fps, but i'm not gonna grumble, my eyes don't refresh that quick anyway

Sheesh.  That is to be expected.  That's just what vsync does.  It ensures that one frame is drawn per each refresh of your monitor, which means with a 60 hz monitor you get no more than 60 fps.  The 100-120 you get without it is pretty useless as your monitor is only updating 60 times a second anyway.  In short, turning it off isn't some magical tweak that boosts performance, it just allows your game to update faster than your monitor, which is totally useless.

The only reason to disable vsync is that if you get less than 60 fps, vsync forces the game to draw one frame every 2 monitor updates (to keep things synched) so you have to go down to 30fps.  With 60 hz and vsynch, the only possible fps values are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10 etc (60/2, 60/2 60/3 etc and fraps won't always show exact numbers).  That's the reason some people see their fps go from 60 to 30 when they look at a bush.  If you can get 50 fps but not 60, turn vsync off and you'll get 50 fps instead of 30 (though you'll see artifacts as some screens are half the previous frame and half the new frame since they are no longer synched to monitor refreshes)

If you can get more than 60, there's seriously no need to turn it off, you won't even see the extra.  In short, there can be good reasons to turn off vsync, but boosting your fps to >100 is not one of them.

Actually in the case of R6:V, that simply wasnt the case. There was some issue with VSync being on that seriously affected FPS, and I get over 60 FPS in that game easily. Not really relevant to this discussion, but anyways.

E

Very little people run there monitor at 60hz these days, I know for me 60hz is horrible (bad flickering) compared to 85hz.

Heres mine and i dont have a FPS drop at that bush performance is ok 30FPS.

1280x1024

View distance 1200

Everything set on low

Advanced tab items are set to off

Video Card BFG 7800GS AGP 256MB

Obviously the bushes wont slow down your PC with everything on low icon_rolleyes.gif . It isn't the hard drive, man I am sick of seeing you talk complete crap - you know nothing about computers. Give up on it please.