Sign in to follow this  
bum71

Horrible Performance...

I have 8800gtx and have no problems.  This issue i think is with your main ram.  I never even use the maxmem feature and it worked fine.  Anyways there is a fps drop with the bushes but that goes away if you turn off aa and af.  Im getting around 70fps and in trees or forrest and also looking into a bush gets around 50..  With aa and af on i was getting 19fps in bushes.  Also check temperatures with 8800gtx.  There is an issue with the fans not going to 100% when it gets hot.  I had to manually turn fans to 100% in ntune but now i use rivatuner and it keeps them at 100%.  With fans at 100% my 8800gtx gets to 72C, you can imagine what temp it gets too at default fan speeds of 59%.  Also these guys using 8800gtx, read the requirements for power supply.  Just one 8800gtx needs 600w or more.  If you have two then i think it needs 750w or more.  If you dont have an enough power you might have some issues too.  Another way to help is defragging.  I used a program that puts all arma files on outer rim of hardrive.  This may help streaming data, changing to map, and also menu load times.  This program is called UltimateDefrag which is talked about in this threadHere

if anyone wondering

e6600 oc 2.8ghz

8800gtx 97.44

ocz 800mhz 2x 1g

680i nvidia board

Do a quick search, gents.

There are those here with medium systems and highend rigs like myself. A great deal of people are having problems running the game at even normal settings...with systems that exceed the rec'd specs. Again, do a search. Many people are also able to run the game at like settings with lesser components, while others with a newly purchased or custom built PCs, run into massive problems.

Again, theses issues seem very complex and random at the moment.

i got no trouble at all with my fairly high end system

e6600 @ 3.2Ghz

8800GTX

2 GB corsair DDR2 with some flashy lights, think i got a free upgrade

74GB raptor for apps

250GB for storage

X-Fi

all setting are on high/very high, AA and AF are on high, no driver tweaks, no OCing, everything at stock bar FSB

i use a CRT, at 1600x1200 refresh rate is set at 75hz, i was getting 75FPS in cities, 50+FPS in bushes trees etc etc, no problems with textures.

at 1280x1024 my CRT has a higher refresh rate of 85 so i play at that, cities and deserts rock solid 85FPS, bushes and forests 65+FPS.

i just don't understand why everyone has so much trouble with this game, i installed it, tweaked a few things in settings and its been playable ever since

e6600 @ 3.2Ghz

8800GTX

74GB raptor for apps

250GB for storage

X-Fi

all setting are on high/very high, AA and AF are on high, no driver tweaks, no OCing, everything at stock bar FSB

i use a CRT, at 1600x1200 refresh rate is set at 75hz, i was getting 75FPS in cities, 50+FPS in bushes trees etc etc, no problems with textures.

at 1280x1024 my CRT has a higher refresh rate of 85 so i play at that, cities and deserts rock solid 85FPS, bushes and forests 65+FPS.

i just don't understand why everyone has so much trouble with this game, i installed it, tweaked a few things in settings and its been playable ever since

You have no idea how well that post makes me feel thumbs-up.gif .

e6600 @ 3.2Ghz

8800GTX

74GB raptor for apps

250GB for storage

X-Fi

You have no idea how well that post makes me feel thumbs-up.gif .

I share the EXACT same sentiments. thumbs-up.gif

this seems to me something totally random with ppl specs rigs?huh.gif?

my ol specs:-

p4 2.9 ghz

1 gig ram

ocuk nividia 7900gs 256 (which i just bought)!

just ran the game,patched! all settings on high(i mean all settings)!

vd=2000

average fps 30!!

game runs a treat!!! yay.gif

It seems to be useles 8800 conspiracy thread, like this one here!

rofl.gif

Thanks for your useless comment.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

I only wanted to warn people not to waste their time reading a useless thread because I allready looked in it.

But what is here not useless, I am only keeping the standadrs up! wink_o.gif

RN Escobar wrote:

Quote[/b] ]i got no trouble at all with my fairly high end system

That's great to hear - you've just reassured me about my next system biggrin_o.gif

A couple of quick questions..

1) Have you tried at higher resolutions ? If so, is there much of a drop-off in performance ? My LCD is 1920x1200 - close enough to 1600x1200 that I probably assume I'll get similar framerates.

2) You didn't mention view-distance. Would be interesting to see a screenshot of your advanced graphics settings.

I personally have this:

AMD 64 3700+ @ 2.4ghz

1GB DDR RAM

ATI Radeon 9550 256mb

I run the game at around 15-30 FPS as ive overclocked the GPU from 400-450mhz. Ive recently overclocked to a 500 mhz and temps seem high.. but OK. Ive also just ordered an ATI Radeon x1950 PRO 512mb which is said to be an excellent card for the money (140 pounds).

RAM won't increase your FPS, it may stop the 'popping' of textures and slight smoothness.

I tried overclocking my CPU to see if it would improve my ArmA performance and it wasnt much difference.

I upgraded my GFX card as theres no point upgrading a PC completely right now (or so i feel...) as Vista + DX10 are released next year, meaning next gen cards (like the 8800 GTX) which at the moment are very expensive (400 pounds for the 8800 GTX) and when other next gen cards are released the price will drop substatially. I dont buy an absolute cutting edge PC as i feel its a waste of money to buy the absolute maximum possible, whereas i can get a very high 'mainstream' pc. Therefore i'd suggest for those who are considering of a complete upgrade that you wait till next year, Vista will be released, new memory management, new requirements, DX10 will mean next gen cards, and components will enhance and come down in price wink_o.gif

RN Escobar, can you please post a screenshot of your game settings & nvidia settings. Also what motherboard are you using? What forceware drivers?

Please get back with me.

P.S. a stock e6600 is not at 3.2GHZ. So don't give the BS story about not overclocking. You just overclocked your e6600. mad_o.gifbanghead.gif

Well any computer no matter what specs you have will have a lower fps in these bushes. I did some more testing and I overclocked my cpu to 4ghz with stock 8800gtx and the bushes still give lower fps no matter what. But like i said before turning off aa and af you will not have a large drop in fps in these bushes. Im not going to bother turning it off because the hit im getting isnt that bad. To tell you the truth, I never noticed it untill it was brought up here. I have a second computer amd 64 3800x2 with 7800gt and it runs game fine. My son and I play all the time and we keep settings on medium.

@Escobar have you tried testing your pc inside different bushes. For example i found some bushes have no hit and other have large impact on fps no matter what system you have.

Ive done numerous tests with this game for performance tweaks and im finding it has little to do with CPU, GPU, memory, or settings. So far i tested the game by underclocking my components one at a time, then gradually overclocking each one item to as much as 50%. So i did this test on the same computer with a frame counter to see the differences.

@800 x 600 res all low settings

For example,I just did these settings a few hours ago:

2.6 ghz , card clock 480/450 - 23 fps

2.6 ghz , card clock 520/475 - 23 fps

2.6 ghz , card clock 520/475 - 23 fps (tighter memory timings)

2.8 ghz Card clock 480/431 - 23 fps

2.8 ghz Card clock 520/475 - 23 fps

2.8 ghz Card clock 520/475 - 23 fps (tight memory timings)

3.0 ghz Card Under Clocked 475/440 - 24fps???

3.0 ghz Card Over clocked 520/475 - 24fps

3.0 ghz Card clock 520/475 - 24 fps (tight timings)

3.2 ghz Card clock 475/440 - 24 fps

3.2 ghz Card clock 520/475 - 23 fps

3.2 ghz Card clock 520/475 - 25 fps (tight timings)

3.3 ghz Card Under Clocked 475/440 - 24fps

3.3 ghz Card Over clocked 480/450 - 25fps

3.3 ghz Card over clocked 520/475 - 25 fps (tight timings)

As you can see there is no substantial variations in performance as far as CPU GPU and memory. Seems that balance is more important since bottlenecks are hard to spot here. I read Whiskey posting something about Hard Drives being key so I did the same tests above with a clean drive and Arma installed on the drive. The FPS jumped 2-3 frames on every test i did. Seems this game may heavily depend on a good (or very well formatted) HD for maximum benefits to hardware. In no way am I saying this proves anything one way or another, except maybe about how poorly optimized this game really is.

Oh, btw, video cards tested by another party has confirmed that the quality of the card has little bearing on performance outcomes. It's a total package of Hardware that seems to make the most differences. A great card with slow memory or outdated and cluttered HD= bad perfomance...ect..ect.

bingo... hard drive bandwitdth is the key to most of the performance issues everyone is having because of there hard drive being capped at X Mbps on an IDE drive. Where i think everyone needs to be is around 130 to 150Mbps which is a SATA Hard Drive to get there performance gains.

This goes to what i said was the Major Flaw with the perfromance is streaming information from the Hard Drive because its doesnt matter what CPU,GPU and Memory you have with Armed Assault. Good information Bunks smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB

Theres you problem, 256 mb. You really need 512 to play it on high.

icon_rolleyes.gif

My 256Mb 7800GT plays fine with settings on very high. Man where on Earth did you get that info?

CPU: 2.66gHz

Graphics card: Nvidia 7600 GT XFX Edition 91.37, 256mb

Sound card: Soundblaster Live

RAM: 1.5GB

ArmA version: Demo

DirectX version: 9.0c

Even on low settings im getting pretty bad FPS and every resolution lags. What do you think the problem is?

i'd say upgrade ur GFX card if u can, i think thats what would be causing the most lags.. but that system isnt THAT bad.. what FPS do you get on what settings?

EDIT: For those talking about hard drives... Defrag regularly to increase performance, and if you get a program like UltimateDefrag you can put ArmA on the outside of the drive and that will allow for greator performance smile_o.gif

I have a real low spec system and still are okay with ArmA ...

Athlon XP 2000+

Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB

2x 512 Mb Corsair value Ram @ Pc-2100

Everything is running on medium, 1024x768

on Rahmadi = 25+ FPS

on Sahrani = ~ 15 FPS

Im quite happy with this low end system and such a performance... what I did:

Downloaded laste drivers for my grafic card

Changed some settings in ATI control center

Used system booster (not too sure if it worked)

Closed everything running in the background incl. explorer.exe (ended up with 18 things running only)

Made sure my CPU and Graphic card are cool

ArmA indeed is poorly optimized, good luck anyway.

i'd say upgrade ur GFX card if u can, i think thats what would be causing the most lags.. but that system isnt THAT bad.. what FPS do you get on what settings?

EDIT: For those talking about hard drives... Defrag regularly to increase performance, and if you get a program like UltimateDefrag you can put ArmA on the outside of the drive and that will allow for greator performance smile_o.gif

I upgraded from 9800 128mb to the 7600 GT. I get basically 20 FPS tops on the lowest settings.

Yeah its probably the GFX card.. you got more RAM than me and a faster CPU, i get 15-30 FPS (i overclocked my GPU of my ATI Radeon 9550 256mb)...

Ive ordered a new GFX card which should be here in a day or two... ATI Radeon x1950 PRO 512mb which cost me 140 Pounds.. its said to be a very good card for the money and players who use it with ArmA claim to have no problems.

How is it the graphics card? Its way better than the ATi Radeon 9800 128mb i believe.

I upgraded from 9800 128mb to the 7600 GT. I get basically 20 FPS tops on the lowest settings.

Tele, two people plus myself have been testing this game with differnt setups and vid cards and the performance is all over the place. Video cards provide a certain baseline on frame rates but performance seems to be associated with the weakest link in your hardware config. In ofp, the cpu was the 1st priority when it came to perfomance but Arma is not the same anymore.

Right now my guess(and i do mean guess) is that CPU and Hard drives can be almost on par with gameplay. With Graphic a close second. Memory speed seems to have little impact on frames but does affect the amount of hiccups you see in the game. Although I suspect as you add more AI and scripting to missions then the CPU will have a greater impact on keeping frame rates up.

So looking at your system, im assuming you have the 533fsb 2.66 chip. Not knowing your memory speed isnt critical but may be a factor. But the main thing is that your card upgrade from a 9800 to a 7600gt will have a minor change because your system has other weak points. And this game will play to the slowest part you have (which i suspect is your hard drive and CPU).

I suggest you try the following:

1)Defrag the HD with ultimate defrag.-Move the game files if you can to the outer part of your HD.

2)Over clock you processor if you can. Nothing major, just maybe a few ticks on your FSB to say 2.8 speeds.

Cause I suspect that the 7600gt is bottlenecked by that 2.66 cpu, but I could be wrong. But if you do the HD and OC, you may see a 3-4 frame increase overall. But not much more.

Wish I could be more helpful banghead.gif

Thanks man, i appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this demo running smoothly now.