Sign in to follow this  
Grodin

Multiplayer AI warping?

Runs perfectly when looking to ping, fps or graphics, but the multiplayer AI...

In LAN or internet, dedicated or not, ping 5 or ping 50, AI soldiers seem to warp all the time every second few meters or so. On host machine it seems fine but all other players see the warping, quite strange this happens when ping is very close to 0. Also, the client machines see a stange brown "smoke puff" coming from weapon when firing wich doesnt happen normally huh.gif

Tried pretty much everything, turning firewalls off, turning router to bridged.. All the computers can run the game easily around ~50 fps so it shouldnt have anything to do with low comp specs either..

Wonder if everyone is experiencing this?

Doesnt happen to human players that are close, only the AI's..

570 K9N

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU

7950GT 512mb with latest drivers

4GB DDR2/800

ArmA 1.02 German

Latest DirectX

I've noticed this problem in MP too, e.g. when aiming through the M12 SPR scope, AI who are running across my field of vision appear to warp (disappear then reappear a few meters further along).

It really screws up yer ability to kill 'em by aiming ahead, because your always seeing the buggers disappear then having to re-adjust your aim once they re-appear.

It is really annoying and I know that a bug report has gone in but I'd be interested to read if anyone ellse has seen this and/or reported it?

This appears to be a problem with the game (OFP and ARMA). We play on a LAN and with only 2 players and the non-server (ie client) player always has this problem. If you do a search in the forums using the word "warp" you will see many other threads about this problem. I have not seen a clear response on how to minimise this. If I do I will post it here.

I have experimented with altering all the suggested parameters and have noticed no significant improvements in warping. With respect to the MinErrorToSend parameter I tried the following values: 10.0; 1.0 0.1; 0.01; 0.005; 0.001; 0.0001; 0.00001.

I have spent over 3 hours modifying the following parameters with no significant improvement: MaxMsgSend; MaxSizeGuaranteed; MaxSizeNonguaranteed; MinBandwidth; MaxBandwidth; MinErrorToSend.

The tests were done on a 100Mbps LAN with only 2 computers connected ( i.e the ArmA server and the client). Both computers run ArmA at about 40 fps on average.

Computer specs:

Core 2 Q6600 @2.4Ghz

4Gb Ram

8800GT (512MB Ram)

XP Home

Benq FP222w monitor (1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz)

those parameters are listed for dedicated servers i think.

try set up a dedi on your lan, then connect from the other machine see if the parameters work then.

you may be able to run a dedi on one core of the fastest box, and connect to it from both machines?

I run a dual opteran gigabit lan server and guess what I still get it so dunno even with changing the values

I did try it by setting up a dedicated server. The warping was still visible and altering the suggested parameters appeared to make no improvement.

I had the same problem with warping and changed the MinErrorToSend value to = 0.000001, and the warping was cut down drastically. I can actuallly snipe people at 1000m + now.

You did put the values in armacfg right? What are you using for a dedicated server? I'm using an AMD X2 4800 dualcore with 2G ram and it works way better than my old AMD 3800 single core.

MinErrorToSend and other server parameters work very well actually. The warping never is completely removed, especially considering distances of 1km and higher, but other than that you can get a pretty "jerk-free" experience.

Most important is that minErrorToSend and other bandwidth settings need to be inserted into the My Documents\ArmA\ArmA.cfg (or where-ever you have set your ArmA profile folder), and NOT in your dedicated server config file.

Also, as far as I've experienced, the lowest MinErrorToSend value is 0.0001. Anything smaller makes no difference whatsoever.

Thanks for the responses. I have tested these parameters again tonight setting up a dedicated server on a LAN with only 2 computers running. I know that ArmA is loading them as I can see variations in the warping (i.e. AI men warp more often or sometime completely freeze if too large a parameter value is used). However no parameter settings significantly improve the warping. Enemy soldiers about 500 meters away regularly warp 5 to 15 meters forward and then 5 to 15 meters backward every 1 second. By fiddling with the parameters I can get the distance they warp to be less but then they warp more often (i.e. may only move back or forward 5 meters but they do it every 0.5 seconds.

While this amount of warping may not sound like much it makes shooting a moving target almost impossible except if you fire enough shots you will eventually hit it by luck. Such an approach is no good if you are a sniper.

Given that you appear to have minimal warping it may be some other issue relating to my systems. However ArmA runs very well 40fps on high video settings and hardly ever crashes (i.e once every 5 hours of play).

It would be great to know what sort of warping other people are getting at about 500 meters view distance? By that I mean how far are enemy AI warping and how often? What parameters values are they using?

Playing with my brother which he hosted, I used to get AI warping too. He added this to the arma.cfg, which lowered his performance a fair bit, but warping was MUCH better for me. If you got more than 1 CPU core, host a dedicated as arma doesn't support multi-cores, 1 core for the dedicated and the other for the game. Though it still might be bad performance for the host. Try lower some values if it is such as max bandwidth:

Quote[/b] ]language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=7353.000000;

Resolution_W=1440;

Resolution_H=900;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

refresh=75;

FSAA=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="4318,915,-2113466301";

localVRAM=256438272;

nonlocalVRAM=394264575;

// These options are important for performance tuning

MinBandwidth = 320000; //* Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072

MaxBandwidth = 100000000; //Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

MaxMsgSend = 512; //* Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024; //Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 32; //Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

MinErrorToSend = 0.0001; //Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.01

MaxCustomFileSize = 1600000; //Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

Hope this helps. smile_o.gif

This one fixed my servers blipping AI 0.000001; kinda funny to watch the servers upload speed of 1.2mb/s now though luckily its closed lan 1gbit since my over the internet upload is 500kb/s before the upload without modifying the value it was 64kb/s upload now much at all