Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

In the video, the view distance is set to 2000 meters and the pre-set altitude is 750m. I did notice that the 2000m view distance relates to terrain only, objects will only become visible from around 1000 to 1500 meters away.

The 2000 viewdistance works as a sphere, so if you're 750m in the air, then you'll only see the ground that it's 1250m away from you.

Besides that, nice work.

Is it going to be autonomous in every area?

We tested three different set-ups;

Remote UAV accessed from a ground station. Depending on what’s is available in the community, we may add our own interface for plotting waypoints e.t.c

Single seat aircraft with the ability for the player to switch between the gunner and pilots position.

Multi seat aircraft, with a player as pilot and at least one player as gunner.

While we may not implement all of the above, the functionality is there for anyone who wants it.

It would offcourse be completly uber cool if we could have like a container unit. Which could be "moved"/"transported" via the cargo system.

In which we can operate the UAV. Maybee its possible to like preplan a route, and pre plan an alternate route. And then have that as options for autopilot. So you could choose the pre planned route the UAV would take, either option A or B, and have the option for manual input when needed.

I dont know if its possible but it might be handy to have the Command and Control container unit it like its a vehicle, so the yellow vehicle chat channel could be used.

And when the UAV is no longer needed, you could put it at Auto Return and it will bring itself back. We can then leave the command container unit. And for instance use other aircraft to assist the lads.

huh.gif Possible huh.gif ??

Guest RKSL-Rock

It would offcourse be completly uber cool if we could have like a container unit. Which could be "moved"/"transported" via the cargo system.

Already done.  Just needs mapping and textures.

… And then have that as options for autopilot. So you could choose the pre planned route the UAV would take, either option A or B, and have the option for manual input when needed.

To be honest I really don’t want to add unrealistic stuff like that.  The intent with these addons was to create realistic systems for use in MP with all the limitation and foibles of real world systems.  If you want to use a UAV you have to treat it like a proper plane.  The majority of real UAV’s are not controlled by a frontline soldier.  They are operated by rear echelon teams.  Later generation UAVs can provide a video feed to ground units but they cannot control them.   We’re going for realism not arcade features.

I dont know if its possible but it might be handy to have the Command and Control container unit it like its a vehicle, so the yellow vehicle chat channel could be used.
 The “Container†is configed as a vehicle, once the pilot and gunner get in they will have all the benefits of a two seat vehicle/plane.
And when the UAV is no longer needed, you could put it at Auto Return and it will bring itself back. We can then leave the command container unit. And for instance use other aircraft to assist the lads.

huh.gif Possible  huh.gif  ??

Not realistic, but you will be able to destroy the UAV if you are that desperate to get out to another plane.

Get this:

The sweds are planing and creating a UAV heli,

wich is supposed to be operated by itself.

Flying a preplanned route doing a preplanned

mission, controlled (NOT OPERATED) and

supervised by a ground unit.

Was in the swedish news today...This is NOT

a joke...

Well, I hate to break this to you, but that sort of operation isn't exactly a new concept- many western nations are currently developing similar UAV projects. The US is currently in the forefront of the technology, and near to production of a helicopter-type of UAV known as the Fire Scout, and it's actually capable of being armed and carrying out fully autonomous combat operations. There are also fixed-wing UAV's that are also capable of fully autonomous operations, such as the Global Hawk.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Get this:

The sweds are planing and creating a UAV heli,

wich is supposed to be operated by itself.

Flying a preplanned route doing a preplanned

mission, controlled (NOT OPERATED) and

supervised by a ground unit.

Was in the swedish news today...This is NOT

a joke...

I'm not sure exactly what your point is supposed to be? As Viper said it’s not exactly news.  It’s just not very common.  Compared to the 100+ (According to Flight International) UAV systems currently in service out there right now only a dozen or so smaller UAV's can be operated/controlled by a frontline solo unit with the majority operated from a Control unit placed well behind the lines.  Out of that dozen a few “mini UAVs “ are rotary wing systems that can be used for local, short range and endurance roles which isn’t what we are trying to simulate here.

If your point is about fully autonomous systems, you might as well just place an AI unit and let it get on with attacking what it wants.

As UNN already said he’s developing this system for use with single and multicrew PLAYER controlled options to make it as flexible and useable as possible.  I really don’t see the point of making a system that anyone can just click into to at any time.  It would just give the player a ridiculous advantage over AI or anyone in a PVP game and as I’ve said a few times now wouldn’t be at all realistic.

As UNN already said he’s developing this system for use with single and multicrew PLAYER controlled options to make it as flexible and useable as possible.

Are the users going to climb in then, or is a control booth needed?

Quote[/b] ]I really don’t see the point of making a system that anyone can just click into to at any time. It would just give the player a ridiculous advantage over AI or anyone in a PVP game and as I’ve said a few times now wouldn’t be at all realistic.

Thats true, I don't think we are going to see troops seeing what a UAV can see until the future soldier projects have matured. And unless your a misanthrope, you are going to be using it along side others, It will be way more fun to relay information realistically, imparting with your lads on the ground.

@Prydain, I think Rock answered that with that the container unit is allready done... So that would be a yes on the booth I think.

@RKSL

I thought the Reaper/Predator had a function to come back to base automatically.

And it doesnt have a autopilot function? crazy_o.gif

Sounds a bit strange that the aircraft can fly on the other side of the world but it doenst have autopilot? help.gifwink_o.gif

And with the preplanned route I mean you have like a map and then put down some waypoints that the autopilot can follow. Before it takes off, so as if it were uploaded into the aircrafts computer system.

And then you'd have the option for a alternate route.

(like we plan with flight ops)

And with manual input I mean changing the flight path directly from the control center while its performing its mission and allready flying, because of aa threat or what not.

But if it isnt realistic, then I dont think it should be added. I thought this sort of stuff was like basic stuff for this sort of hightech aircraft.

Thanks for the clear reply's! thumbs-up.gif

(hope you got some nice confortable chairs in the container!! wink_o.gif ) rofl.gif

Should have known you allready had the container unit allmost done... biggrin_o.gif

edit

Thats a good link you posted m8 interesting website.

Guest RKSL-Rock
@RKSL

I thought the Reaper/Predator had a function to come back to base automatically.

And it doesnt have a autopilot function?  crazy_o.gif

If does fly automated profiles on an autopilot.  But don’t try to be a smarty pants. smile_o.gif You’ve heard me describe our plans for UAVs on TS before now.

It (Predator) can’t take off or land itself apparently, a pilot is required to get it off the runway and up to operational altitude before flying the planned route.  Just like any commercial airliner.  At least according to the operational treatise I read in Flight International last year.  But the point I was making is that we don’t want to make a system that just has aircraft orbiting endlessly around fixed waypoints with a gunner ‘logging’ in and out.  The intent, as always is to provide a flexible system that has advantages AND limitations that you need to learn to use properly.  I really don’t like automated addons you should have to work within limits.

Sounds a bit strange that the aircraft can fly on the other side of the world but it doenst have autopilot?  help.gif  wink_o.gif

From what I understand it isn’t so much an autopilot more or a computer assisted flight control system.  Due to location of aircrew vs airframe there is up to a 3 second delay, my understanding is that the route is programmed on the ground, the pilot gets it to altitude then engages the ‘profile’ which they then adjust in the same way as any commercial airliner but at no time is the system left unmanned.  Which is the point I was trying to make.  

And with the preplanned route I mean you have like a map and then put down some waypoints that the autopilot can follow. Before it takes off, so as if it were uploaded into the aircrafts computer system.

And then you'd have the option for a alternate route.

(like we plan with flight ops)

With the Predator, Reaper and other multi-crew platforms I’m not keen to add autopilots I’d prefer to have them actively flown by players, it’s far more dynamic and interesting for the aircrew.

It’s my belief that these sort of aircraft should be made in such a way to encourage cooperative play.

Should have known you allready had the container unit allmost done...  biggrin_o.gif

Yes you should smile_o.gif

That’s a good link you posted m8 interesting website.

Flight Global is the best place to get all the Aviation and Defence news!  Well worth book making.

You’ve heard me describe our plans for UAVs on TS before now.
huh.gif You sure it wasnt about one of the other 30 addons? rofl.gifthumbs-up.gif

( huh.gif Ive kinda forgotten... huh.gif)

I guess it is going to be allot more interesting for missions if you are operating it constantly. Yes thinking about it its much better indeed.

I dont know how much power the predator has, and surely they would never do it in reality.

And I can imaging with the thin wing surface it would be difficult.

But could it actually do areobatics? crazy_o.gif

You’ve heard me describe our plans for UAVs on TS before now.
huh.gif  You sure it wasnt about one of the other 30 addons?   rofl.gif  thumbs-up.gif

( huh.gif Ive kinda forgotten... huh.gif)

I guess it is going to be allot more interesting for missions if you are operating it constantly. Yes thinking about it its much better indeed.

I dont know how much power the predator has, and surely they would never do it in reality.

And I can imaging with the thin wing surface it would be difficult.

But could it actually do areobatics?  crazy_o.gif

Makes EVO more fun too if someone is controlling it constantly and reporting troop movement or armor on TS to the others around the city wink_o.gif

Don't know about the areobatics wink_o.gif

I would prefer not to have to read all 60 pages of this thread to find out if this has already been covered. Does RKSL plan to implement it's own UAV system or 'borrow' EMSI' one?

Does RKSL plan to implement it's own UAV system or 'borrow' EMSI' one?

We haven't finalised exactly what's required.

But at the very least, we are looking for something that will work for both MP and SP. With the ability to map\modify a flight path before or during flight. The mechanics of getting the UAV into the air and back on the ground again, will be handled by a player.

We would also like to allow the UAV to be useable by the AI, for anyone who wants to play a supporting role to it. With the flight paths and target priority set by the mission designer.

The final phase of our goals, and the most ambitious. Is a fully autonomous system, were the AI or player can decide where and when to deploy the UAV, according to what happens during a mission and coordinate with whatever resources are available to it.

So it really depends on how easy it is, for any third party system, to satisfy all of these requirements. I think the deciding factor will be, what hoops we have to jump through, to get Arma's AI to comply with all of the above.

If it means we have to write our own system then that’s ok. Also as Rock said before, if someone has their own model\system, then it should be easy enough to bolt on our Laser Designator, if they want to use it.

when the a.i controls the UAV would it be like the A.i detects the opfor troops and then shows them as red triangles and red tank icons and whatever? smile_o.gif that would be pretty sweet and basic i think. For player control there is a whole lot more that can happen biggrin_o.gif Would be awesome to have a UAV recon operator "intelling" people the tactical situation on the battlefield from time to time.

Reminds me of many times in ofp cti where some people laser guided down LGB bombs and snipers sneaked on the flanks and reporting in enemies and the rest attacking in small teams with a.i squads controlled by players. inlove.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
when the a.i controls the UAV would it be like the A.i detects the opfor troops and then shows them as red triangles and red tank icons and whatever?  smile_o.gif  that would be pretty sweet and basic i think. For player control there is a whole lot more that can happen  biggrin_o.gif Would be awesome to have a UAV recon operator "intelling" people the tactical situation on the battlefield from time to time.

Reminds me of many times in ofp cti where some people laser guided down LGB bombs and snipers sneaked on the flanks and reporting in enemies and the rest attacking in small teams with a.i squads controlled by players.  inlove.gif

This system isnt really meant for AI. Frankly, no matter how well we scripted it the AI still coudnt use it as well as a person.

For what you want we'd have to make an entire new system that can do waht you describe. Its better jsut for the mission maker to script trigger and events than expect the AI to safely use either our system or EMSI's UAV control scripts.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Can I ask how is the actual status of your great looking Puma helicopter?

Its just short of:

- 4 res Lods

- Damage Textures

- Finishing the main textures and Normal and SMDI maps

Absolutely Brilliant Work RKSL team, i cant wait for the Lynx... fantastic stuff

the JTIDS sounds cool aswell! biggrin_o.gif

Just want to take this opportunity to say that I think all of what RKSL does is great! It gives me a semi.

Just want to take this opportunity to say that I think all of what RKSL does is great! It gives me a semi.

Ditto, just without the semi.

What happened with your Cessna that you were making?

And are your other projects progressing well?

When you release some of your British aircraft, will you be releasing some British pilots for use with them also?

Can't wait for your work to be released.......

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

...will you be releasing some British pilots for use with them also?

Theres a reason RKSL and UKF have close affiliation wink_o.gif AAC pilots will be in UKF Soldier Pack 1.0, and perhaps RAF pilot too but also perhaps at a later date. We'll see how things progess eh?

Rock you already know I think your work is top class. smile_o.gif

...will you be releasing some British pilots for use with them also?

Theres a reason RKSL and UKF have close affiliation  wink_o.gif AAC pilots will be in UKF Soldier Pack 1.0, and perhaps RAF pilot too but also perhaps at a later date. We'll see how things progess eh?

Rock you already know I think your work is top class.  smile_o.gif

Cool, thanks...............

notworthy.gif