Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

Rock, will all of the the different aircraft (Harrier, JCA, Typhoon and Tornado) use a laser or different lock on systems and just how realistic is this when compared to real life target locks?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Rock, will all of the the different aircraft (Harrier, JCA, Typhoon and Tornado) use a laser or different lock on systems and just how realistic is this when compared to real life target locks?

My current plan (which is always subject to change) is to use this system for all our aircraft that require it. I want to develop a variant to simulate the Angle Rate Bombing System (ARBS) for the Harrier and any other Optical targeting system.

Harrier – ARBS, Sniper Pod

JCA (aka F-35) - Electro Optical Targeting System (EOTS)

Typhoon – PIRATE and Litening III Pod

Tornado – TIALD Pod or Litening III Pod

All would use a derivative of this system.

As to the accuracy with real world systems...  take a look on Youtube and compare video from TIALD, LANTIRN and Litening designator pods, that’s the sort of stuff we are using for reference materials.  We are hoping to make it as realistic as possible but obviously we are still limited in some ways by the game engine.

THIS sir is F* excellent! I mean uber excellent.

REALLLY GOOD WORK! AGAIN! thumbs-up.gif

In the tornado this is going to be awesome!

3,2,1 and splash! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Quote[/b] ]NEWS UPDATE: Fixed wing Turret and Laser Designation System

And... ? What's the idea behind the scripts ?

To be frank it shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  We intend on using this system for the Harrier (ARBS and SNIPER) and Tornado (TIALD/Litening III) aircraft.  Of course you have to fly the right profile to ensure the bombs lands on target.  But speed should be irrelevant.

Well I'm trained to call for and execute such missions (well okay from a ground perspective) and have some basic knowledge on such systems, so if you need some help, PM me. But I didn't know Brit Harriers were using SNIPER. I know they're using TIALD (or an article on their use in Afghanistan said they were) but I guess they bought those systems or looking into them? Sniper XR is an excellent system but never heard of ARBS though.

dude if i should ever get a kid ill name it after you.

well maybe not RockOfSl but you know...

tounge2.gif

I can help you with that, right now I wouldnt mind having a kid named after the creators of this wink_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]NEWS UPDATE: Fixed wing Turret and Laser Designation System

And... ? What's the idea behind the scripts ?

...<STUNNED SILENCE>... you are taking the piss aren't you?

I thought that was patently obvious. Watch the video and have a think about it. No one else seems to have a problem!?

It makes all sort of things possible:

- WW2 multigun bombers?

- AC-130?

- Any number of UAVs?

- TV guided missiles...?

- Finally adds a proper role for the gunner in a fixed wing plane.

...and lots of other applications.Working turrets on planes that you can fire a laser or any other weapon from... get it now?

To be frank it shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  We intend on using this system for the Harrier (ARBS and SNIPER) and Tornado (TIALD/Litening III) aircraft.  Of course you have to fly the right profile to ensure the bombs lands on target.  But speed should be irrelevant.

Well I'm trained to call for and execute such missions (well okay from a ground perspective) and have some basic knowledge on such systems, so if you need some help, PM me.  But I didn't know Brit Harriers were using SNIPER.  I know they're using TIALD (or an article on their use in Afghanistan said they were) but I guess they bought those systems or looking into them?  Sniper XR is an excellent system but never heard of ARBS though.

Thanks for the offer but I’m FAC qualified (admittedly from 13 years ago) and I’ve got a nice line into the Technical aspects of Harrier weapons systems.

TIALD has been dropped from UK use.  There are some still in (Harrier) use but only until they are upgraded to support Sniper.  TIALD didn’t have the resolution for ISTAR or precision CAS.  Sniper was bought under an Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR) as part of the Harrier Support Program.  The MoD finally admitted that TIALD wasn’t up to the job. smile_o.gif

ARBS is Angle Rate Bombing System.  It’s essentially the optical bombsight for the Harrier.  Its uses a TV system and a dual mode tracker.  We can adapt this system for use as the ARBS system.  You can go into ARBS mode, find the target (The harrier doesn’t have radar nor will our version) switch out and then you have a mark to aim at with the weapons, iron bombs guns etc.  You wont be reliant on the BIS Tab lock system so you can accurately attack buildings, bunkers etc as declared by your FAC.  Its adds an extra level of skill and training to use and should prevent the plane from owning the battlefield.  It should make flying that little more realistic trying to fly and find your targets.

ahh.. i thought it means "wing turret and laser designation -> status FIXED". wondering what is wing turret?

never would have imagined it means "fixed-wing aircraft" with turrets in it. lol... rofl.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
ahh.. i thought it means "wing turret and laser designation -> status FIXED". wondering what is wing turret?

never would have imagined it means "fixed-wing aircraft" with turrets in it. lol...  rofl.gif

I see you are another that didnt read the post properly. Its explained in the blurb. You just have to read the information.

Fixed Wing = Plane Class. Its been well touted (especially by bdfy) that turrets on planes dont work in ArmA. Well the news is that UNN has found a way to make them work!

guess i didnt.. thousand appologies. now that i have and fully comprehend it... it is a great feat of talent. good work  thumbs-up.gif

:edit for gramatical errors:

Guest RKSL-Rock
what happened to unn ?

Nothing. He's just out for the night. He asked me to upload the videos etc. I'm just the sad git thats been sat at home on friday night (im on call).

Why are you missing him?

Quote[/b] ]You wont be reliant on the BIS Tab lock system so you can accurately attack buildings, bunkers etc as declared by your FAC. Its adds an extra level of skill and training to use and should prevent the plane from owning the battlefield. It should make flying that little more realistic trying to fly and find your targets.

Excellent stuff! Tab killing with BIS standard ATGM is just boring. Creating new roles for players such as learning to gun in fixed wing aircraft is always welcome!

Quote[/b] ]Why are you missing him?

yes i always miss his scripts ,they are very unique and ingenious.

have you made any full models between your place and london lately ?. it all seems quiet apart from the usual.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]Why are you missing him?

yes i always miss his scripts ,they are very unique and ingenious.

have you made any full models between your place and london lately ?. it all seems quiet apart from the usual.

Oh yeah, but since you were so keen to accuse us of stealing FS models without any proof we thought we'd just sit on our stuff and continue to tease and tantalise you all.

The distance between my "place and (the exact centre) london" is 1.05 of a mile so the probability of that is pretty slim. Just as usual you don’t have your facts straight.

But I am a bit busy with ArmA stuff. I've got a lot of time off atm so we're making really good progress. Lots of mapping being done, lots of bug fixing. But either way im sure you'll find another way to spread unfounded rumours and lies again. Keep going son, we'll just prove you wrong. nener.gif

Thanks for the offer but I’m FAC qualified (admittedly from 13 years ago) and I’ve got a nice line into the Technical aspects of Harrier weapons systems.

TIALD has been dropped from UK use.  There are some still in (Harrier) use but only until they are upgraded to support Sniper.  TIALD didn’t have the resolution for ISTAR or precision CAS.  Sniper was bought under an Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR) as part of the Harrier Support Program.  The MoD finally admitted that TIALD wasn’t up to the job. smile_o.gif

ARBS is Angle Rate Bombing System.  It’s essentially the optical bombsight for the Harrier.  Its uses a TV system and a dual mode tracker.  We can adapt this system for use as the ARBS system.  You can go into ARBS mode, find the target (The harrier doesn’t have radar nor will our version) switch out and then you have a mark to aim at with the weapons, iron bombs guns etc.  You wont be reliant on the BIS Tab lock system so you can accurately attack buildings, bunkers etc as declared by your FAC.  Its adds an extra level of skill and training to use and should prevent the plane from owning the battlefield.  It should make flying that little more realistic trying to fly and find your targets.

Yeah I read an article about Harrier operations in Afghanistan, and admittedly old one at that (which discussed the pilots displeasure at using it for CAS). So that's good to know, thanks! thumbs-up.gif

I must say...wow...I'm at a loss for words, the slaving to targets was quite impressive, the possibilities this opens up... Congrats UNN on this fine achievement that will no doubt change many things.

Excellent smile_o.gif

Respect RockofSL and UNN!

Wow UNN is very talentied  notworthy.gif once again we have showed to BIS that we have broken yet another game engine on our quest to enlightenment. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]...<STUNNED SILENCE>... you are taking the piss aren't you?

I thought that was patently obvious. Watch the video and have a think about it. No one else seems to have a problem!?

I don't have traffic to see huge video files wink_o.gif Anyway i'm sure it's working so i wonder _how_ it's working ? what's the main idea you used ?

Quote[/b] ]...<STUNNED SILENCE>... you are taking the piss aren't you?

I don't have traffic to see huge video files wink_o.gif Anyway i'm sure it's working so i wonder _how_ it's working ? what's the main idea you used ?

Watch the

then. As for the methodology of it all, we'll have to wait for UNN to give us some details; I'm fascinated to know myself even though I probably won't understand any of it. biggrin_o.gif

As ever though, I think what UNN's done is astonishing and I can't thank him enough. He and a few others seem to be taking us to a whole other place in ArmA.

I'm just happy that I should now be able to hit ground targets with fixed-wing aircraft now; I'm rubbish at strafing.

btw, nice music this time.

This is looking incredible, cant wait to have a play, how will this system work in a single seater harrier though? the plane will fly striaght as the pilot uses a designator to target?

have you experimented with weapons such as turrets or multiple turrets?

I think what UNN's done is astonishing and I can't thank him enough. He and a few others seem to be taking us to a whole other place in ArmA.

Quoted for truth!