Sign in to follow this  
.:50Ca_}{_Fe(A)R:.

Armed Assault is missing quite a few basics

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>HELLO THIS GAME IS NOT COUNTERSTRIKE THIS GAME IS NOT BF2 THIS GAME IS ARMA IT IS A TACTICAL SIMULATOR YOU CANT HAVE ANYTHING BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH</span></span>

I'm not usually one to resort to name calling but I'd like to congratulate about 1/3 of the posters in this thread for making total fucking idiots out of yourselves and the community you are representing... the little respect I had for many of you is now totally diminished. You should be ashamed.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree...

So what makes him an idiot? for suggesting some basic features that most other games have had the sense to add.

Quote[/b] ]See, that has nothing to do what I said. You were making requests for things already in the game that would seem hard to miss. And for your informtation, yes, I am a gamer and I enjoy playing other games.

some of his requests are already in the game, many are not, if you read carefully you would see he has the demo version which does not include the entire game content.

Quote[/b] ]

No, it's not. FPS is limited to shooting (hence the name), combat simulators (or more appropriate for ArmA, virtual battlefields) are more on the scale of a sim or role playing game. Perhaps you should ask the USMC and Army National Guard if they're training on expensive first person shooters. Well they aren't, they're using VBS1 - the same core technology from OFP that went into ArmA.

Um what in arma so far has not been shooting i ask?, ive seen no role playing, so what about mods maps missions that have non shooting elements then, but wait i can get the same stuff for other fps's, hell favourite lan game of mine is carball a ut2k4 mod no first person shooting there, games still a fps.

yes many armed forces are using vbs1 for real life training, battlezone(orginal) was also used for real life armed forces training to, it was a arcade game. Sims to us are games to you should rember, they serve no purpose other than to entertain.

Quote[/b] ]This is supposed to be a combat sim, how do you think soldiers on the field do it? They certainly make do with what they have wouldn't you say? Learn how, that's the point, BIS is trying to show you the realities of war, and confusion is often one of them. Go ahead, ask them yourself.

Its also a game to, many things in real life cannot be replicated ingame, especially multiplayer where its just random people thrown together, there is no realities of war to be found in that.

Quote[/b] ]Same key for all actions, that's why there's an action menu, because this is not just an FPS where you perform the same (limited) mindless tasks, you have options.

you should take his advice and try other games, your point of view is so narrow and arrogant.

Quote[/b] ]

No, these are crucial for coordinating in the absense of a chain of command, which is not the case in ArmA. You're supposed to follow orders, or give them. THAT is how soldiers coordinate effectively. Shouting things like "Cover me!" and "Need a ride!" get you no where if someone's not going to comply. In ArmA, radio messages are present, but they aren't just worthless sound files, they tell AI and player controlled soldiers what to do, or give them useful information. Still, if you feel the need, ArmA supports it. Just place custom sound files in your user/Sound folder and play them over the radio. That is, if you're too lazy to type them - you're not going to be in the heat of battle every second of gameplay, this game is slower paced.

chain of command is not always existing, do not forget players in differnt squads, hell even in real life soldiers have the ability to talk to one another, i see no reason against what he suggests none at all.

Quote[/b] ]You're problem is you're too accustomed to BF2 style games, but the fact is ArmA is different, and it's like the way it is intentionally. ArmA is built from OFP, which was around before the BF series was. To claim that these features are essential shows what you know about the OFP/ArmA series. Not satisfied? Then go back to what you're used to, it's your choice wether you want to play this game or not, and if you do want to play it then go ahead, but the community is satisfied with this game's style, and who do you think BIS is going to support - newcommers or those who've kept their product alive for over 5 years?

The game is much less differnt than you think, BIS will support those who buy the game, you think they would limit themselfs to the zealots who claim the game is the holy grail? They are a business not a charity.

The very worst thing about most realism games is often the players themselfs, some get it in their heads that they are like some "superior race" of gamers above quake unreal cs etc, often spurt biased unknowledgeable garbage about "mindless" games lesser people play often never even tried them once. Many replys in this thread including quoted just goes to show. IMO the most mature game community ive ever encountered is ut-ut2k4.

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Dec. 23 2006,01:16)]People dont need a chart to know the keys.... they know the keys better than their wifes.

They dont need no indication for which weapons killed whom, they know the sounds better than anything else.

OMG nice me8! you made my day!

one of the top quote at year 2006! rofl.gif

anyway this guy are only making suggestions, orthrought it doesnt seems to make sence for a game such as ArmA, he still are trying to make good suggestions, and for the sakes of respect i think these kind of flawing is no need, if anyone understand this should have delete their post b4 mods get into work

BTW, is it possible to edit the death message like in OFP?

Jeez, the amount of offensive posts is rather shocking, especially from the more experienced members... confused_o.gif

I first started playing ofp the day it was released and you know what, I thought it was shite. Then I played it again two weeks later and for some odd reason fell in love with it inlove.gif

For someone who was used to games like Half Life then, it was a big changeover to have to think tactically about what I had to do.

This is exactly the same as for someone new who is used to CoD, MoH, BF, etc etc. It will take them time to adjust.

@.:50Ca_}{_Fe(A)R:. (blimey that's a name to type tounge2.gif)

I say play the full game first mate, trust me, you have to play it for a while but soon you'll be chucking Moh and CS out the window wink_o.gif

Don't let some of these responces push you out the community.

xmas_o.gif

sim

FCF Bad Karma & Olemissrebel WL+1 for flaming.

Whilst a couple of the suggestions could easily have been found to be in the full game by doing some research (for example mission editor), there is no call at all for abusing someone when they clearly have a genuine desire to discuss some perhaps obvious things that ArmA should have to improve it's reception.

Shame on a number of you for exhibiting such poor behaviour, and kudos to those of you who took the effort to yourselves criticise that poor behaviour.

i think ofp could have and arma would benefit from the ability to 'broadcast' or 'shout' a selection of basic audible commands to teammates in the vicinity... not to replace the current system but maybe to expand on it. my wish would be some kind of ingame voip system that has two modes: shouting (to everyone that is close enough to hear) and broadcasting (to people you're connected via coms, like teammates etc). i'm aware that teamspeak offers a (limited) alternative to that but having it ingame would be even better imho.

Which is exactly what ArmA already offers - if you have a microphone you can just use the ingame VOIP to call out to players nearby, or select to broadcast globally, team- or groupwide - or just to those sharing the same vehicle. Same as the chat modes.

Custom sound files are an alternative to that, but then you are limited to the sounds you prepared in advance - and everyone has to download them on connecting to the server, which causes a lot of unnecessary traffic (especially as most sound files are just 'funny' clips that annoy everyone after a short while).

Hi .:50Ca_}{_Fe(A)R:.,

Most questions have already been answered, but I'll try to repeat them in a more friendly manner.

I suspect some of the confusion is based on the differences between the demo you play and the full game I play and maybe being new to ArmA and never having played Operation Flashpoint. All the features you're missing, you're missing. Probably because some are missing in the demo, or because they are hidden within the sea of controls.

Notifications for when people join thegame.

Are in full game.

Notifications for when player A kills player B, which specify what the weapon used was.

I think many consider it to be a arcade feature, learn each weapon's charateristic sound instead.

Armed Assault has a lot of keys for you to remember.  That said, one thing that I think that would be enormously helpful is the ability to easily pop up a chart (in-game) which reminds you of the current keymapping.

Press esc, options and check your controls.

In ArmA WASD+space to jump+left mouse isn't getting you very far. In that sense there's a bit of a lerning curve, one you'll enjoy in retrospect if you chose to get the full game. I always totally reconfigure my keys before I start playing a new game. In ArmA it took me 1½ hour to get them perfectly like I wanted them to be.

The ability to pop up a map, which shows the location of team mates (on foot and in vehicles) which, somehow, indicates the location of current conflicts, so you don't have to wander around forever looking for battles to particpate in.

Options/difficulty, enable extended map info. You'll see everything you need. But the server host control the server difficulty and veteran players play with veteran settings. There's no need for huge islands and view distances, if all you goto do is look at the map and not actually have to do any investigation on your own.

**********Server options!!!!!!!********

There are in the full game and more will probably follw.

A comprehensive scoreboard.  Should include kills, ping, etc.

'I' for scores, Infantery, soft vehicles, armored vehicles, aircrafts, boats and friendlies. 'P' for player stats, ping desync ect.

Uhm, I might have missed soemthing, but is there any way to communicate with your team mates (so that you can coordinate your efforts in order to encourag team work)?

White for global chat, Blue for team chat, Green for groupe chat, yellow for vehicle chat, purple for direct communication(proximity based). All chat channels are also used to toggle through VoIP radio channels. Although direct com VoIP don't work yet.

Server filter!

Incluses: Host name, max ping, min players, max players, show locked, shot full. You can also connect directly if you got the server IP. No favourite list yet.

When you get close enought o e a vehicle to enter it, a little ntoification should pop up which tells you what currently mapped key to use it is.

Attached to your mouse scroll you've got an action menu, which will display options when you get close to vehicles, ammo crates ect. A symbol also appears when you're close to active objects. Scroll, hit enter or press the mouse wheel.

Voting options.

#vote admin Dallas, #kick Dallas  ect.

Radio messages.

You got a radio channel on backspace.

BTW, I like how us Americans get the improved version.

Everything for you guys.  wink_o.gif

Thanks for the reponces guys.  That is, those that didn't take my first post so personally. wink_o.gif

I fully understand that ArmA is not CSS or BF2.  That's why it it is realistic (unlike BF2 or CSS) and  has good sized maps (unlike CSS tiny maps.)

I also realize that the demo isn't entirely an accurate representation of the full game, as it lacks some other things.

However, these are basics, and they belong in any game.  They will not contaminate or negatively impact Armed Assault. They are nesseary in order to for players to not beocome confused, among other things.

A note about the radio commands.  The comnander can't possibly issue such specific orders without a minimap.  Thus, the radio commands become useful.

As far as I can tell, these are the kinds of things that soldiers say to each other in real life.  They really lend themselves to a tactical style of gameplay, which, as far as what I know, is what Armed Assault is aiming for.

Just becasue you have a commander, who creates the strategy in a general sense, does not mean that soldiers will not need to communicate.  The commander can't possibly now exactly what is going on with every sinle person : what they see, their priorities, their decisons, etc.  These are the sort of things that only team mates working with them can be aware off and take it into consideration.

Oh yeah, Armed Assault is an FPS game, make no mistake (even if it is a very good one smile_o.gif ).  It pocesses no aspects of an RPG game (see any inventory management element?)  You shoot enemies from a first person perspective.

As for stats, I didn't mean you're own characteristics (as in an RPG_ but rather your accomplishements relative to everone elses.  How many total kills have you made?  How many vehicular frags have you made?

Oh, and I did play the orifinal Flash Point, but never got into it very muc because of how ambiguous the singleplayer objectives were and how far it had fallen behind the technology curve.

See you all online. xmas_o.gif

Edit : Anyway to sort servers?

Sort for what?

-If you want the servers with lowest latencies, hit the "Ping" word, perhaps twice, don´t know.

-If you are looking for many players, hit the "Player" word twice

-Servers in alphabetic order: Hit the "Host" word once for A-Z.

Oh yeah, Armed Assault is an FPS game, make no mistake (even if it is a very good one smile_o.gif ). It pocesses no aspects of an RPG game (see any inventory management element?) You shoot enemies from a first person perspective.

I'm afraid you're wrong here again. There is, in fact, an inventory management system. wink_o.gif

My really friendly proposition: You should play the game more further, play some coop with athmosphere (music, cutscene and objectives) then come back and talk. I guess your statement will be different about the rpg side of the game.

Welcome to you and happy Christmas. xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]A note about the radio commands. The comnander can't possibly issue such specific orders without a minimap. Thus, the radio commands become useful

Well, the game has a "Command View," that zooms out a ways and gives the commander total 360 degree free reign to assign out orders. It just takes quite a bit of practice and some time to be comfortable with the commands. Remember, that all of those "medic!" etc calls are accessed with 5. In fact, Medic is like..5-1-4 or something, but the call to tell the Commander your injured is 5-4. 5-5 is "where are you" 5-6 is "under fire" 5-3 is "low on ammo" etc. Really doesn't need a minimap, though one could be helpful to newer commanders. If it could be a feature that can be disabled by either the server or the player, I don't see a problem with it.

Quote[/b] ]As for stats, I didn't mean you're own characteristics (as in an RPG_ but rather your accomplishements relative to everone elses. How many total kills have you made? How many vehicular frags have you made?

Why? If you and your team accomplish the mission does it matter if you or bob had more kills? The game is supposed to be a team effort, and if there is a tally for kills it will eventually degrade into Kill-Fests. See what I'm saying? I understand you may want this in order to gauge your individual ability, but try using other less-tangible methods of doing so, such as mission success, or helping your team in crucial moments.

Hope this answers some questions.

smile_o.gif

I just spend 10 min reading this topic just to find out that Dallas posted all the answers i wanted to post.

I do have to add that unlike in most games the key to bring up the chat box is / and to change channels , and . instead of the normal T and Y

And to the people that pounded this topic into the ground grow up.

Quote[/b] ]Why? If you and your team accomplish the mission does it matter if you or bob had more kills? The game is supposed to be a team effort, and if there is a tally for kills it will eventually degrade into Kill-Fests. See what I'm saying? I understand you may want this in order to gauge your individual ability, but try using other less-tangible methods of doing so, such as mission success, or helping your team in crucial moments.

Well, it's nice to know how you match up against all other players.

Stats provide a meaningful measurment of your skills and accomplishments.

Sheeyit, maybe this thread should be called "why did they leave out so many basics in the demo?""

The demo does't even let you sort. What is this, 1992?

Quote[/b] ]Why? If you and your team accomplish the mission does it matter if you or bob had more kills? The game is supposed to be a team effort, and if there is a tally for kills it will eventually degrade into Kill-Fests. See what I'm saying? I understand you may want this in order to gauge your individual ability, but try using other less-tangible methods of doing so, such as mission success, or helping your team in crucial moments.

Well, it's nice to know how you match up against all other players.

Stats provide a meaningful measurment of your skills and accomplishments.

Sheeyit, maybe this thread should be called "why did they leave out so many basics in the demo?""

The demo does't even let you sort.  What is this, 1992?

I understand what you're saying, and it is a fairly standard thing, but I dunno..it's just not that big of a deal to me anyways.

this game have a learning curve, which you might need time to get know most of the function you need, remapping the key is a must if you want to enjoy the game without worring about hitting the wrong key

getting into some coop which playes longer instead of normal run & gun would also help on remembering the control, then you could move to cti or back to ctf (acturally A&D would get yourself into the game more then ctf but everyone have their choose)

My really friendly proposition: You should play the game more further, play some coop with athmosphere (music, cutscene and objectives) then come back and talk. I guess your statement will be different about the rpg side of the game.

Welcome to you and happy Christmas. xmas_o.gif

i cant see why his views would shift, mine havnt and i played hundreds of coops and made them in ofp. System shock was far more rpg, but still fps.

Game is as much fps catergory as any other.

Why? If you and your team accomplish the mission does it matter if you or bob had more kills? The game is supposed to be a team effort, and if there is a tally for kills it will eventually degrade into Kill-Fests. See what I'm saying? I understand you may want this in order to gauge your individual ability, but try using other less-tangible methods of doing so, such as mission success, or helping your team in crucial moments.

Tally for kills turn game into kill-fests? what u think in multiplayer everyone is just going to say hey make love not war. Team efforts occur when needed not when score board exists or not, even unrealistic games unreal wolfenstein etc required co-ordinated team efforts to accomplish goals.

Less-tangible methods are as helpful as a make belive car is in getting me to work.

Tally for kills turn game into kill-fests? what u think in multiplayer everyone is just going to say hey make love not war. Team efforts occur when needed not when score board exists or not, even unrealistic games unreal wolfenstein etc required co-ordinated team efforts to accomplish goals.

Less-tangible methods are as helpful as a make belive car is in getting me to work.

Good for you.

i think ofp could have and arma would benefit from the ability to 'broadcast' or 'shout' a selection of basic audible commands to teammates in the vicinity... not to replace the current system but maybe to expand on it. my wish would be some kind of ingame voip system that has two modes: shouting (to everyone that is close enough to hear) and broadcasting (to people you're connected via coms, like teammates etc). i'm aware that teamspeak offers a (limited) alternative to that but having it ingame would be even better imho.

Which is exactly what ArmA already offers - if you have a microphone you can just use the ingame VOIP to call out to players nearby, or select to broadcast globally, team- or groupwide - or just to those sharing the same vehicle. Same as the chat modes.

sorry about that wow_o.gif seems i still don't know a lot about what arma actually offers smile_o.gif

*opens the pdf manual for the first time*

come to think of it - why do people use teamspeak when voip is available ingame? just for pre-game preparations etc? or is the ingame voice quality not up to par?

I'm totally with DeadMeat on this one. This guy brought a fresh opinion (god knows we need more of them) to the forums, and you guys start a witch hunt, calling him clueless, an idiot, and a troll. Put your pitchfork and torch down for 5 minutes and learn to treat each other with respect. You owe that to every member on this forums, no less this guy because he enjoys other games.

That aside, some of his suggestions may sound a little strange for ofp dieharders. As he rightly pointed out, we love the ofp design philosophy and gameplay, and usually reject any ideas that aren't congruent with these basic elements. I, for one, wouldn't support weapon kill notifications, as it would provide information that a battlefield soldier would never be privvy to.

On the other hand, some of his suggestions are no-brainers. A key bind display? Great idea! If you look back at some old ofp reviews, you will find that nearly everyone was impressed at the key bind card that was included in the box. Server options? No problem there! If these functions could be programmed into the game, it would go a long way to easing the learning curve that the new community faces. Which, as it so happens, is exactly who our new friend represents.

I conclude with a simple message for forum veterans. What sort of fruitful discussion can you have when no one disagrees? Diversity is the source of all great strengths in modern times, and our forum should welcome it, not reject it.

/signed smile_o.gif well said

some people need to unplug from their "special game"

Some people criticize the idea of kill notifications and kill tallies. In my time playing the demo I see kill notifications come as radio messages: "Player X killed Player Y" and when you die/reach debriefing you have a kill tally. Do you people not see these things or something because I do? tounge2.gif

And the first two pages really shows what immature assholes we have here.

Great to see the ignorance and arrogance of some people here...

Makes me feel much happier in this community sad_o.gif

Join the Army, go to Iraq, than you have the realism you want. (And don't start whining when you're killed)

But this is still a game and he had quiet some good suggestions. But everything some people can do is bitching around in a really unfair way... sad_o.gif

You, my friend, are an idiot.

As previously said, this isn't Battlefield 2, CSS, MoH, or any of the other fairly lame games that pale in comparison to OFP/ArmA. For God's sakes don't try to make it such. One of the main reasons I continue to play OFP to this day are the lack of people such as yourself in the community.

Get a clue. icon_rolleyes.gif

No no. Don't be fooled...it is you who is the idiot. Don't be so hard on a guy who had a few questions.

Sheesh