Sign in to follow this  
Mongoose_84

"Team Leader Group Respawn" script - DONE

I plan on using this script in a map i'm going to make and maybe anyone else has use for it, too.

This script combines standard respawn scripts ("instant" or "base") with my custom group respawn method. It is meant to be used on players who lead a team of AI-units (exclusively). After the player's death he will respawn into the nearest unit of his team. If there aren't any, the game will make use of the standard respawn method instead. If new units are added to the player's team, the group respawn will work again.

- more about it in the readme

download:

armaholic.com

(thanks for hosting)

Something else I should've mentioned in the readme: You have to initialize base or instant respawning yourself in the description.ext. The respawn delay also applies to group respawning.

Please post here what you think about it, if it works properly and any suggestions of how to improve it.

btw: i haven't been able to actually test it with several clients - i just think it should work, from what i've learned about MP-scripting

Has the original group respawn of OFP been removed? crazy_o.gif

the original group respawn works differently, doesn't it? for example, you'd become a bird, after all your group members died.

or is that not what you meant? huh.gif

btw: if anyone knows a way of changing the player's class without using selectPlayer, i would love to hear - so the player's model could fit with the unit he takes control of. i don't really want to use selectPlayer for "respawning", because the group numbers always get mixed up that way and trying to avoid that by removing and adding units to the group is pretty unreliable, i think... though, if noone has another solution, i guess i will try and make it work that way.

edit: no... i don't think i want to use selectPlayer after all, because making use of standard respawning has so many advantages - most importantly, the game passes all the player's information (including eventHandlers) to the new unit. So, if anyone can think of another solution, i would still like to hear it.

another thing i'd like to add is the adaption of a unit's stance when respawning into them, but i think that's just not possible the way i handle it. still, if anyone has an idea...

We have added this script to our downloadsection.

I have called it version 1.0 BETA since you say you arent sure it works correctly in MP and you are still working on it wink_o.gif

Mirror here.

Keep up the good work notworthy.gif

We have added this script to our downloadsection.

I have called it version 1.0 BETA since you say you arent sure it works correctly in MP and you are still working on it wink_o.gif

Mirror here.

Keep up the good work notworthy.gif

thanks, though i would feel a lot more comfortable, if i knew whether it works or not biggrin_o.gif

hope, there'll be some feedback soon... i just read about eventHandlers causing a lot of trouble in MP.

if it doesn't work the way i described, maybe instead of adding eventHandlers in the editor (initialisation), it would be better to write this line into the mission's init.sqs:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

player addEventHandler ['killed', {[] execVM 'initRespawn.sqf'}];

don't know... shame, there isn't a way to properly test MP-scripts on a single computer.

Hello:

I'll make you a question...

Can u make a script for controling TEAM RESPAWNS?

For example:

I want to make a mission with 6 men and a respawn counter of 12 lifes for all 6 men.

If a man dies 12 times, the rest of the team has no respawns at all.

Is that posible?....

I came from GHOST RECON and it has implemented this very well.

Me and my teammates needs that for making multiplayer missions and play CTFs more tactically.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry my bad English.... wink_o.gif

Hello:

I'll make you a question...

Can u make a script for controling TEAM RESPAWNS?

For example:

I want to make a mission with 6 men and a respawn counter of 12 lifes for all 6 men.

If a man dies 12 times, the rest of the team has no respawns at all.

Is that posible?....

I came from GHOST RECON and it has implemented this very well.

Me and my teammates needs that for making multiplayer missions and play CTFs more tactically.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry my bad English.... wink_o.gif

sorry, i can't think of an easy and clean way to do this. you would probably have to use the selectPlayer (i don't even know, wether it works in MP or not...) command, when a team has run out of lifes to prevent them from respawning - and delete the former player's unit. but there would be no seagull for observing then.

unforunatley i'm also rather busy right now preparing for exams and i can't really afford spending so much time trying to find out, how something is done right in MP. i still don't know for example, wether this script i made is working or not... that kinda sucks. maybe by the time the semester is over the biki can provide all the important information, but for now i'm just sick of the fact, that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to properly test MP-maps, while you're making them... sorry, maybe someone else can help you.

Hi, I just stumbled upon this script and have been using it in ArmA. Its just what I have been looking for and works great! Thanks Mongoose.

I have a question however, Is it possible to add something to the script so that there is some kind of adjustable delay between the player being killed and taking over an AI??

and perhaps making the screen Flash red or go black for a second??

Also, any plans to make this work for multiplayer in ArmA 2?

(I know this is an ArmA thread, but my question relates to both ArmA and ArmA2)

Edited by Nuke2