Sign in to follow this  
WOLFGiJoe

Demo Dedicated Server

So, can anyone shed light on the new Demo server producing the :- 2Cannot Create 3d device " error huh.gif? Really bugging me.

So, can anyone shed light on the new Demo server producing the :- 2Cannot Create 3d device " error huh.gif? Really bugging me.

You are using the -server option?

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA Demo\ArmADemo.exe" -server -config=server.cfg

I would think that since the -server option makes in not start up into a game GUI, that it wouldn't need a high power graphics card. The only thing it creates is a small dialog box.

Here is my servers Specs:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/29/2006, 15:27:37

Machine name: WIN2K-BOX

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: GBT___

System Model: AWRDACPI

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, ~1.5GHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

Page File: 320MB used, 927MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINNT

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce3 Ti 200

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 64.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Default Monitor

So far it seems to run COOP pretty good, but my limiting factor is upstream bandwidth.

Yep Im running with -server -config=server.cfg thats why i dont understand why its throwing up that error. The Full game Dedicated server runs from the same box without any issues at all.

would an upload speed of 512kbps be enough for a 16 player ctf dedicated server ? 4mb downstream.

512kbps divided by 16 players = 32kbps per player.

Any know how to make the server startup with a given mission??

Tried the OFP way, but no success

Like tihs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Missions // list of missions that will be played in cyclic order

{

class Mission01 // any mission name here

{

template = 02CaptureTheFlag.SahraniLite; //

cadetMode = 0; // 0 = difficulty veteran, 1 difficulty cadet

param1 = 600; // sets parameter of the specific mission- see description.ext of the mission

param2 = 50; // sets another mission specific paramter

};

Can't seem to run a CTI server with that new binary. Server crashes on game start.

Please could any of you provide us with crash dumps?

Files arma.bidmp, arma.mdmp and arma.RPT are created in place like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\*_yourusername_*\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA Demo

Maruk -

I got the same problem - it seems it is the CTI map - I rar'ed the dump files up for you - their at:

http://www.asoldierswar.com/mods_maps/ArmA_Demo.rar

Thks,

s/ ASU

server.cfg<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

passwordAdmin = "********";

password = "";

hostname="Hanzeriks-ArmA-Dedicated Demo Server";

motd[]=

{

"Welcome to Hanzerik's ArmA Demo Server",

"DO NOT SELECT CTI MODE OR THE SERVER CRASHES",

"Have fun and play fair",

};

motdInterval=7;

voteThreshold=0.5;

reportingIP="armedass.master.gamespy.com";

voteMissionPlayers=1;

kickduplicate=0;

maxPlayers=16;

This is mine and it works fine except for CTI mode.

Create a shortcut to ArmADemo.exe and edit the Target line to read something like this.

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA Demo\ArmADemo.exe" -server -config=server.cfg

Thx!!!

I got it working @ last WOOT! notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Yep Im running with -server -config=server.cfg  thats why i dont understand why its throwing up that error. The Full game Dedicated server runs from the same box without any issues at all.

I believe, that it is because we are running the server off the entire demo versus a seperate dedicated server file for the demo.

The patch was to the program, so everybody had to put the entire demo on their server.

So believe it or not the fix was to go to Microsoft DX website (sorry no bookmark - all I did was Google it) download the latest direct x and installed it and we were right as rain...

Now I have a dedicated server running Win 2003 through a hosting company, so my access is basically using my computer as a "dumb terminal" through Remote Desktop Connection.

Any know how to make the server startup with a given mission??

Tried the OFP way, but no success

Like tihs

class Missions // list of missions that will be played in cyclic order

{

class Mission01 // any mission name here

{

template = 02CaptureTheFlag.SahraniLite; //

cadetMode = 0; // 0 = difficulty veteran, 1 difficulty cadet

param1 = 600; // sets parameter of the specific mission- see description.ext of the mission

param2 = 50; // sets another mission specific paramter

};

you were close, it should be:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class Missions

{

class MPCTF_01 // name for the mission, can be anything

{

template = M02CaptureTheFlag.SaraLite;

cadetMode = 1; // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)

};

class MPCOOP_01 // name for the mission, can be anything

{

template = M01Cooperative.SaraLite;

cadetMode = 1; // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)

};

class MPCTI_01 // name for the mission, can be anything

{

template = M03ConquerTheIsland.SaraLite;

};

};

NOTE: "capture the island" still seems to break something ...

YEAH yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  : biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  :

It worked!!!!!!  No more CTI, hopefully no more crahes till it is fixed......

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

s/ ASU

i have a few other questions concerning the configuration file of the demo server. after a bit of searching and some trial and error, i found out how to correctly load up a map after starting the dedicated demo server (with the -server -config switches). however, i'm a bit stumped as to how some of the settings work, as well as what other kinds of settings are available.

question one: maxPlayers = x; is this broken? if i set it to 60, the server browser reports 61 slots available. am i doing something wrong, or should i always set it to "maxplayers minus 1" to get the proper result? i haven't really gotten into it so far, so i don't know if the actual limit is 60, and only the browser reports it wrong or what.

question two: motdInterval = x; what is this measured in? minutes? seconds? hours? days? i've set it to five, but i don't see it popping up in game.

question three: #userid somehow all the connected players get the userid 999. is it a bug, or what? enlighten me.

question four: #vote admin any way to turn this off? at the moment i've had to (untried) set voteThreshold = 1.1 so that players cannot become admin by vote. of course, it's untried, so maybe that hack won't work.

question five: kickduplicate = x; is this for userid to be duplicate, or username? or something else?

did anyone else observe these problems/or has the answers to my questions?

Teaser -

I wondered about those too because I would like to boost up the max players in CTF and COOP. I got my MOTD set to 1 and only see it in the beginning (maybe between rounds but I will check to confirm)

However I did eliminate the player Vote Admin command - and all I put in the beginning is this:

Quote[/b] ]passwordAdmin = "xxxxxx"; // password to protect admin access

hostname= A Soldiers War ARMA DEMO Server

and I took out any reference to vote anything...The admin stuff still works with no problems.

This way your server admin can only administer it and no player can.

If you get any more info pass it on and so will I.

s/ ASU

MOTD interval is simply the interval between lines appearing when you CONNECT to the server. It will not repeat throughout the game as a scrolling message.

AllShotUp @ Jan. 02 2007,01:18)]Teaser -

I wondered about those too because I would like to boost up the max players in CTF and COOP. I got my MOTD set to 1 and only see it in the beginning (maybe between rounds but I will check to confirm)

However I did eliminate the player Vote Admin command - and all I put in the beginning is this:

Quote[/b] ]passwordAdmin = "xxxxxx"; // password to protect admin access

hostname= A Soldiers War ARMA DEMO Server

and I took out any reference to vote anything...The admin stuff still works with no problems.

This way your server admin can only administer it and no player can.

If you get any more info pass it on and so will I.

s/ ASU

sorry, but this does not work. try to connect to your server when it is empty, and then in the chat window type in "#vote admin your_own_nickname". this will give you admin rights. the only way to disable this, that i've found so far, is to set:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">voteThreshold = 1.1;which makes it so that 110% of all players must agree with the vote to pass it. of course, this is not an optimal solution, since you cannot vote for anything (not kick, not missions etc). i prefer it this way though.

MOTD interval is simply the interval between lines appearing when you CONNECT to the server. It will not repeat throughout the game as a scrolling message.

thanks for that input, really appreciate it.

Yes, MOTDinterval is the time, in seconds between each line appearing when you connect to the server. It has no effect if you only have 1 or 0 lines of MOTD, and the default is at 5 seconds.

Does anyone know how to disable AI (replacing empty slots) in a particular mission and/or server wide?

Quote[/b] ]Does anyone know how to disable AI (replacing empty slots) in a particular mission and/or server wide?

Log in as Admin, and disable em by clicking the AI button at the start of the mission whistle.gif

question five: kickduplicate = x; is this for userid to be duplicate, or username? or something else?

i'm going to answer my own question here (finally got around to registering). this is my thoughts on the subject, i will investigate a bit more tonight.

kickduplicate makes sure that new players get new id's. i.e. if you press 'P', you will see that each player has a number in front of their nickname. this is what kickduplicate controls. i have no idea if it sets a particular id per nickname, or what. i suspect that it does prevent id 1 from being reused, when the player who had id 1 disconnects though. in case kickduplicate is set to 1 that is.

#userlist still shows all players as id #999 though.

In the config file, I mean (duh).

was looking for that as well actually. :)

Quote[/b] ] question five:

kickduplicate = x;

is this for userid to be duplicate, or username? or something else?

That's for ID duplicates, I think. It's not wise to do that on a demo server for now, because all of the demo user ids are 999!

I have a question.

I want to tinker with the mission parameters in the mission config. I have cracked open the pbos to find out what that mission parameters are for CTF. I would like the dedicated server to run that mission a little longer. I can understand what the code is saying, but I'm not sure how to express getting the mission to run for an hour.

titleParam1 = $STR_MP_TIME;

valuesParam1[] = {10000, 300, 600, 900, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2700, 3600, 7200};

defValueParam1 = 1800;

textsParam1[] = {$STR_MP_NOLIMIT, $STR_MP_TIME_05, $STR_MP_TIME_10, $STR_MP_TIME_15, $STR_MP_TIME_20, $STR_MP_TIME_25, $STR_MP_TIME_30, $STR_MP_TIME_45, $STR_MP_TIME_60, $STR_MP_TIME_120};

Evidently, those numbers under the valuesParam1 are numbers of seconds. Would you then write in the config

class Missions

{

{

cadetMode = 0; // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)

$STR_MP_TIME = 3600;

};

or

class Missions

{

{

cadetMode = 0; // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)

param1 = 3600;

};

or something? huh.gif

class Missions

{

{

$STR_MP_TIME = 3600;

};

this will crash the server, so it is ruled out :P

class Missions

{

{

STR_MP_TIME = 3600;

};

neither does it work without the $ in the string above.

class Missions

{

{

cadetMode = 1; // difficulty 0=veteran 1=regular

defValueParam1 = 1800; // max time in minutes

defValueParam2 = 7; // max score

};

class MPCOOP_01

{

template = M01Cooperative.SaraLite;

cadetMode = 1;

Param1 = 0; // 8, 0, -4 - noon, morning, night

Param2 = 0.38; // 0.22, 0.38, 0.92 - sunny, overcast, rainy

};

one of these two ways is how i would assume it to work, but it doesn't. i've looked at the Avon lady's ofp faq (link) to come to this conclusion: either you set the params like how i do it in the coop mission (which seems most likely), or you do it by the defValueParam1, as in the ctf mission. neither works with the demo server though, so maybe it's broken -- or maybe i'm just too slow to get it.

finally got a screen shot of the D3D error the Demo server generates:-

DemoserverError.gif

The same serve runs the full game dedicated server exe without any issues.

Thanks for the reply, Leper. I read the avon faq and a few other sources too, and I couldn't get it to work. In fact, I found that by using the param1 = 3600; in the ctf entry stops the program from reading to the end of the config... so it will just read the ctf portion... and repeat the ctf mission. Weird behaviour. Looks like if we want different values for now we'll have to login as admin and change them manually for each mission.