Sign in to follow this  
Jack-UK

The Ideal ArmA System

Well ive played OFP since 2001, with much less lag than i can play ArmA now.

But this game is very hardware intensive, and as beautiful as it is, many people (like me) are struggling with the hardware requirements, although i am over the minimum spec i only acheive an FPS of 15 max on lowest settings.

So i was thinking, what sort of system IS ideal for Armed Assault? And no, i am not asking about the absolute TOP hardware, as they are out of reach of most of gamers, although people would love to spend £400+ on a DX10 GFX card most people cannot or will not pay so much.

I'm thinking of upgrading my system from a 2.4ghz AMD, 1gig RAM, ATI Radeon 9550 256mb. But im not sure whether i should wait for the top end hardware to come down. A lot of people are going out and spending good money on hardware, but is it worth it?

So, what sort of system do YOU think is AFFORDABLE, but will be quite OPTIMUM for Armed Assault?

Brainstorm away =)

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm running an AMD 64 X2 5000+, 3Gs RAM, and Radeon 1900XT with 256, and I'm still having preformance issues. ArmA seems too love certain systems and hate others. I'd suggest asking those who are running it very well, with most of the options on high, and request their system specs to better guage what you need.

I don't think a computer that can hack Armed Assault on full settings has been invented yet wink_o.gif I'm lucky to get above 20-25fps with a Core 2 Duo 6600, 8800GTS and 2gig DDR ram.

I don't think a computer that can hack Armed Assault on full settings has been invented yet wink_o.gif I'm lucky to get above 20-25fps with a Core 2 Duo 6600, 8800GTS and 2gig DDR ram.

Same problem as you.

There are those who are running it on high with good to excellent frame rates.

Yes this is very interesting topic, I need this information too. I have an old Athlon 1.4 GHz and Geforce 6600 GT system and if I am going to play Armed Assault then a new computer is a must. But I won't do any hasty purchases, this needs time, consideration and advice from Armed Assault players to get right.

Currently the Geforce 8800 graphics cards are way too expensive, even if you have the money, to be a reasonable purchase (I'm not saying I won't buy such card with today's prices but I try not to).

For the processor, it currently seems that only the Intel Core 2 Duo processors are worth of purchasing, but their price could come down a bit too. Hopefully AMD will soon release some competitive products with lower prices than the Core 2 Duo line has.

I will delay buying new hardware as long as possible so that A) game be released in my country B) hardware prices hopefully go down C) BIS has had the time to make some patches for the game before I get into it. As playing games is not what I normally do and Armed Assault being the only reason to get a new computer, I have no rush into buying hardware.

It would be very helpful and appreciated if the people who have Armed Assault running fine would post their system specifications here. Also people who have had problems with certain kind of hardware (not with old but relatively new hardware) could post their information.

Edit: There seems to be an existing thread for this kind of talk: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....3;hl=pc