Sign in to follow this  
poitings

Gun view movement is "TERRIBLE"

Hi, i only have the demo rightnow; and i've noticed some things, among others... the weird aim shake that i don't gonna say what it reminds me to (because it costed me a warning level) but it moves too much when you're walking and aiming; i'm able of shoot in the real life in single shot, to a wooden target at 200m and advance towards it shooting in single shot, 2 magacines (40 bullets) but im not able to hit an AI at 50m in burst fire with a M4 (that have burst & single shot!?) how's that!?, the sight moves too much in comparison to how it moves in the real life, in flahspoint or in the AAO; and i don't know what those old "style" tracers keep doing there; if i had been one of the game makers i'll had done something like the BN tracers 1.24 and i'll had adapted it to be used by the weapons and not by the units. But that's another history. The 3D movement of the sight is not well done at least in the demo. Let's C ya

What's a good number of frames to render ahead? The default is 3 on mine.

What's a good number of frames to render ahead? The default is 3 on mine.

0 (like i said in my post)

Set the floating point to 0.

This means that the crosshair stays pretty much locked in the middle, this REALLY helps while driving and piloting, you dont have to drag for it to move. Also it means you wont have the 'free aim' which personally i prefer to have a crosshair locked in the middle.

When driving and flying you have mouse tied to steering directly anyway, there is no aimbox.

I think the lagginess is quite tied to frame rate. Now the question is why am I getting 12 FPS when everything is at the lowest settings?

I changed those settings. It seems to have improved a bit but it's just still not right.

The game looks beautiful, apart from the buildings and the horrible interface.

Just with the unweildly mouse to gun movement I find my self gripping the mouse really hard as my brain tries to figure out how to get it into more control. I'm gonna get carpal tunnel syndrome and sue BIS ha ha ha.

I think some people are falsely attributing a bug as a "feature." I've seen this kind of sluggish delay in mouse movements before in other games when the computer is preforming poorly. In fact, I think Red Orchestra had this problem. I wish I knew how they fixed it. It makes it feel like I'm aiming a bag of cement instead of a rifle.

I noticed when i first had this game, then upgraded my X800 XL to a 8800 GTS the aiming got a whole lot easier, especially with M4 aimpoint.FPS (frames per second) and LOD (Load Distance/time) have alot to do with your aiming and how smooth it is etc. I believe if you dont have atleast 40 or so plus FPS your aiming is going to get tuffer as the FPS decreases. Also the more i messed with sensitivity and did alot og aiming it got easier. And the 7600 GT isnt the greatest either, especially for this game i bet you suffer some FPS issues on normal and above settings.

Yeah i know my system isnt the fastest but i had the same problem, bag of cement he he, when i turned all the settings down to the bare minumum and ran it at 800 600.

What computer parts would one need to run everything on maximum inc. 1600x1200 res?

I just even did an uber test where i turned every thing off and i mean Eeeeeeverything and set the rest to 640 480. The graphics were just green blobs and the men looked like platic army men.

And 'still' it had the unweildly gun swayage.

Oh well.

Hi, i only have the demo rightnow; and i've noticed some things, among others... the weird aim shake that i don't gonna say what it reminds me to (because it costed me a warning level) but it moves too much when you're walking and aiming; i'm able of shoot in the real life in single shot, to a wooden target at 200m and advance towards it shooting in single shot, 2 magacines (40 bullets) but im not able to hit an AI at 50m in burst fire with a M4 (that have burst & single shot!?) how's that!?, the sight moves too much in comparison to how it moves in the real life, in flahspoint or in the AAO; and i don't know what those old "style" tracers keep doing there; if i had been one of the game makers i'll had done something like the BN tracers 1.24 and i'll had adapted it to be used by the weapons and not by the units. But that's another history. The 3D movement of the sight is not well done at least in the demo. Let's C ya

Yeah it's ridiculous... It's like they are having a seizure while walking and looking through the sight.

I can hold a heavy sniper rifle I have right now, slowly advance foward and still keep the aim decently smooth compared to this game where it skips all over the place. And I'm a skinny bastard! wink_o.gif

not had this personally,thou i have put the floating zone (in controls) to 0.

this stops the mouse cursor movement delaying before it reaches the "turn view",

in otherwords,when i turn left or right,so does the view screen,

where a high floating zone, will keep the camera fixed until you hard turn left or right,.

:/

might be what some of you are on about,cos i dont get this latency thing.

controls,floating zone slider bar wink_o.gif

thou i am suffering with 1 hour delay on "un-zooming" on the scope, i have to click the mouse like 50 times to return to normal view :/

anyone gettting that?

I can hold a heavy sniper rifle I have right now, slowly advance foward and still keep the aim decently smooth compared to this game where it skips all over the place. And I'm a skinny bastard! wink_o.gif

Heavier weapons tend to be more stable then the lighter ones (provided that they are equally balanced), so I am not sure if this is such a good example.

Besides, the real question is whether your aim would be just as smooth and steady in the real battle conditions after having sprinted for 200 meters and having your buddies mowed down by the machine gun fire, while some enemy grunt is aiming at you 50 meters away... I bet not!

Peace,

DreDay

Well i can't figure it out. This video looks mindblowingly nice and it seems very smooth.

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/armed-assault-soiree-nofrag-mission-1-22-12-video-29603.html

That video looks soooo beautiful and there seems to be no lag or sluggishness at all, lucky Frenchies.

Mine is barely smooth even on lowsettings. I was ten feet away from a Russian guy and my gun was in a dream like state and took me ages to setltle the aimbox on the guy. My mate got sick of it after one play and uninstalled the demo.

I guess i have to get a massively powerful rig if i wanna play it as it looks on this video. Maybe in two years when a duel SLI 8800 4Ghz dual core rig is cheap i can come back to it.

I have a big issue with the differnce between OFP and ArmA, its not the settings its the feeling of moving the mouse across the screen, i think its not fast enough like ofp, like he says it drags and for me when i first played ArmA that put me down cos it felt like it had took the sharpness away that OFP had and made it into another BF2 style game, thats the effect i got..

[The Movement of the mouse has lost all its sharpness that ofp had] and that gets me killed a lot in MP and Sp.

I thought I was going to uninstall OFP because ArmA was going to fil the gap, I was proven wrong. sad_o.gif

I have a big issue with the differnce between OFP and ArmA, its not the settings its the feeling of moving the mouse across the screen, i think its not fast enough like ofp, like he says it drags and for me when i first played ArmA that put me down cos it felt like it had took the sharpness away that OFP had and made it into another BF2 style game, thats the effect i got..

[The Movement of the mouse has lost all its sharpness that ofp had] and that gets me killed a lot in MP and Sp.

Someone already mentioned.. decrease the "floating zone" under your controls to 0, it helps alot smile_o.gif .

What computer parts would one need to run everything on maximum inc. 1600x1200 res?

A Current Generation motherboard

A Current Generation fast dual core CPU

A Current Generation video card (ie GF 8800)

A Current Generation fast SATA HD (ie WD Raptor)

A couple or GB of fast................wait for it................Current Generation DDR RAM!

This board is full of people with "this game doesn't work" posts, who are playing a game with Current Generation graphics, on 2 to 4 generations old computers.  banghead.gif

I don't have those problems. Why?

Because I not bought this Current Generation game yet because I am not building my Current Generation computer till after the first of the year. I just looked at the pre release screenshots and knew I needed a new computer to run ArmdA the way I want......maxxed...or close.

Simple...yes?

Lots of good tips around for people that have the Current Generation hardware to run the game. Please don't tell me about minimum specs......anybody who's been around for awhile knows what they mean.

Soon...........................

Nixer6 : I shouldn't have to spend £2000 on a Current Generation computer every month, games have settings for a very specific reason - To scale the graphics down too work on non-Current Generation systems.

At the lowest settings, the game should be playable. I have a machine that matches up (or higher) than the minimum specs. P4 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI Readon 9500.

But the mouse-aim shouldn't be effected by lower-speced machines, there's a few things in the ArmA MP demo (Which I've only played for about 45minutes, admitedlly I've probably played OFP for hundereds of hours, so I may be slightly biased, but..) the controlls in ArmA seem less usable than the OFP ones.

For example : The seagull-crosshair, in OFP I could rotate the mouse over a building, and the seagull would rotate to face it, in ArmA, I move the cursour over and it stays centered, but rotates the seagull (So I have no idea how far I just moved the mouse)

Another more annoying "problem", in vehicles, the mouse-cursour seems to be gone completely, leaving me guessing how hard I'm turning. It's not "more realistic", if it were real, I would be psyically touching the wheel, and know how far I'd turned it. Games are *not* real, crosshairs, health-bars, respawns are all totally unrealistic (in the game-sense of things), but are very nessiary to make the game playable (Well, not in all cases, but you have to conpensate for the lack of human senses)

I suppose it will grow on me with time, are OFP was quite largely changed with patches, and I'm expecting a similar thing with ArmA (Again, my view is biased seeing as how the first version of OFP I played was around 1.46, I'm currently playing with the 1.03 ArmA, so it's slightly less.. mature)

And as you say, newer games play better on newer systems (Shockingly), so I imagine the controlls will be more usable on faster machines

There are a few seemingly fundamental problems with the game how-ever, far too tired to remeber most of them, but one which is extremely annoying is the little loading screen when I exit the map view, and the little fade out when I switch from first-to-third person view, and to commander view.

Other problem I can remeber is the helicopter flight model, which seems to be getting fiddled with, but if it was kept as it is, it'd fairly annoying (Again, I'm probably biased by the ammount of time I've been playing OFP, but then again, a *lot* of the people playing ArmA are ex-OFP'ers)

Anyway, enough fatigued-ranting for me,

goodnight.gif

- Ben

A Current Generation motherboard

A Current Generation fast dual core CPU

A Current Generation video card (ie GF 8800)

A Current Generation fast SATA HD (ie WD Raptor)

A couple or GB of fast................wait for it................Current Generation DDR RAM!

This board is full of people with "this game doesn't work" posts, who are playing a game with Current Generation graphics, on 2 to 4 generations old computers. banghead.gif

I don't have those problems. Why?

Because I not bought this Current Generation game yet because I am not building my Current Generation computer till after the first of the year. I just looked at the pre release screenshots and knew I needed a new computer to run ArmdA the way I want......maxxed...or close.

Simple...yes?

Lots of good tips around for people that have the Current Generation hardware to run the game. Please don't tell me about minimum specs......anybody who's been around for awhile knows what they mean.

Soon...........................

Well I've been looking at the Opteron 285, eats everything inc my money lol. I got a SATA150 on my next motherboard my HD can use 300 since it does both.

I noticed this game does lag and I will need to upgrade even before I played this.

Quote[/b] ]ATI Readon 9500

I think that's way down whats considered playable these days, really bottom of the barrell. I suggest getting new video card ASAP.

Merry Christmas folks.   xmas_o.gif

I can't afford to buy a new computer every year, never mind every month.   biggrin_o.gif

I have been working without a day off for over 60 days now and I have at least 60 more to go. I am building my own current generation computer withan eye towards upgrades in a year or so. Just the components are almost $2,500 US.

If I can't get get ArmdA to work GREAT on that baby, you'll hear me screamin too. LOUD!

IMHO, expecting a game to be playable nowadays on a minimum spec computer is.......optimistic.

Gnite and a Happy New Year to you all.

Happy Christmas.

It seems until just recently that you could get a PC game to work resonably well on an older system.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter wouldnt even run on an older system. I don't mean wouldnt run well i mean wouldn't actually work. Now AA only works acceptably well on high end, not even medium, systems.

Is it Direct X inspired lazyness or what. I mean, even oblivion ran, on low graphics settings, on my pc.

Merry Christmas folks. xmas_o.gif

I can't afford to buy a new computer every year, never mind every month. biggrin_o.gif

I have been working without a day off for over 60 days now and I have at least 60 more to go. I am building my own current generation computer withan eye towards upgrades in a year or so. Just the components are almost $2,500 US.

If I can't get get ArmdA to work GREAT on that baby, you'll hear me screamin too. LOUD!

IMHO, expecting a game to be playable nowadays on a minimum spec computer is.......optimistic.

Gnite and a Happy New Year to you all.

To keep the price down stay away from SLi and Crossfire, waste of money.