Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

GF2 Ti Hardware T&L or not on 1ghz processor?

with a 1ghz processor and half a gig of ram.. is it faster if the Card does the T&L or will it slow things down???

P.S. sith where is our hardware section? tounge.gif

Of course it will speed things up. T&L just does the, uh, Transform and Lighting, which your processor would have had to do in the first place. I noticed a nice bump up in speed when I enabled it. Go do it now.

When T&L is enabled on my P3 800MHz it slows down. My processor can handle it better when its switched off confused.gif

Wierd. It really shouldn't.

I'm running a 1Ghz TB and as I said, it made a pleasant difference.

In theory you'd expect it to be faster, but with a fast CPU on a simple mission the CPU may have enough free time to do the T&L calculations faster than an older graphics card... whereas on complex missions the card can offload that work so the CPU has more time for all those AI calculations. I've also seen even brand new machines shipped without AGP4x enabled, and if you're running with a slow bus with geometry data in host memory then the card simply won't be able to read the geometry data fast enough.

So I'd expect this to run faster, but it will depend on the precise configuration of your machine, and the complexity of the missions you play: really you need to try both and see.

OK, ive looked around on the net and basically what ive seen is that apparentley the HW T&L might slow your computer down... basically if your computer is fast enough to where your graphics card is the bottleneck.. hardware T&L will make it WORSE.. if however your processor is the bottleneck the T&L will make it faster...

basically it matters how "used" the card is.. if you have a super fast processor.. faster than your card can fully utilize, making the card do MORE work (HW T&L) will make it even works and slow things down.

but if your Processor isnt fast enough to push your card to its limits then using HW T&L will make it faster because its taking some strain off yor processor with is being used to its max and shifting it to your card which has power to spare..

makes sense to me..

and as for as ive read this change seems to take place around 1.1ghz with the GF2 ULTRA.. but I have the Ti so its probably like 1.05... so in my case I doubt there would be much difference because my system is pretty balenced.. the card and processor can fully take advantage of each other...

Just out of curiosity, have you OC'd your CPU? I'm assuming it's AMD? smile.gif

LMAO oops I deleted one of your doubles and you deleted the other?confused.gif? smile.gif

I have your post in my clipboard should you want it back wink.gif

LMAO okies I've put it back in place of your "dammit" smile.gif

I'm starting to think HWT&L slows my machine down somewhat. It would seem to make sense after what you've said.

I have a P3 850 w/ GF2mx and possibly the card is too slow for the CPU thus the bottleneck is the GFX card. I think I shall perform some benchmark tests.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrLaggy @ Jan. 31 2002,17:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've also seen even brand new machines shipped without AGP4x enabled...<span id='postcolor'>

I have AGP4x disabled on my computer and I don't see any degrade on performance compared to AGP4x enabled. It's only more stable when it's disabled. And I have a relatively old computer (Athlon Classic 750Mhz, Geforce 2 GTS).

I would like to know what exactly does the AGP driving value do and what kind of machines have a performance boost when it's enabled.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 01 2002,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm starting to think HWT&L slows my machine down somewhat. It would seem to make sense after what you've said.

I have a P3 850 w/ GF2mx and possibly the card is too slow for the CPU thus the bottleneck is the GFX card. I think I shall perform some benchmark tests.<span id='postcolor'>

I also have a GeForce2 MX on my P3 800MHz, and I get noticeable slow down when T&L is enabled, time for a new card tounge.gif

But I havent tried eneabling it on the 1GHz+missions like Battlefield, must try that wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Feb. 01 2002,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have AGP4x disabled on my computer and I don't see any degrade on performance compared to AGP4x enabled. It's only more stable when it's disabled. And I have a relatively old computer (Athlon Classic 750Mhz, Geforce 2 GTS).<span id='postcolor'>

I would guess that your machine doesn't support fast writes, and that the Geforce 2 driver puts vertex data in video memory, in which case you won't see any difference provided the card has enough video memory for all the textures you need. If it was putting vertex data and a lot of textures in host memory and using AGP to access them then you should see a significant difference.

I did some testing last night and it became pretty clear that with T&L ON I was getting about 3-5fps less and it generally seemed to be stuttery in comparison to having T&L OFF.

But still the biggest fps killer is running in 32bit..I guess the MX doesn't have enough bandwidth for 32bit

I have 2 pc's in my home (here's the oldest)

PII450@512Mhz

RAM 512MB Corsair Cas Latency 2-2-2

ASUS P3CE Motherboard (i820)

Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro 64MB (5ns Hyundai Memory)

DirectX 8.1

NVDIA Detonator 4.13.01.1241

WinMe

I play OFP in 800x600 @32bit HW T&L enabled I can't feel the slowdown in FPS..., but surely there is a difference (in benchmark of FPS) when T&L enabled, especially if u have a speed <1Ghz

here's the reference:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/99q4/991012/geforce-07.html

About AGP4x 2x, frankly there is only a minor difference in that area...(especially when your sideband memory enabled in your GPU) so you dont have to worry about the value 4x 2x...

Here's the reference:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q1/000214/index.html

My humble advice (to speed up your FPS)

-change your AGP aperture size (in BIOS) to half of your memory, let say If have 512MB , the AGP aperture size will be 256MB

-Enable DMA on your Hard drive (for ATA33/66/100 only)

And here's the latest pic of "GeForce4"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1012053042

Hope it would help,

Icabola