Sign in to follow this  
blix2006

Demo Troubleshooting thread.

To all with a Windows Error at the second to last checkbox, CHECK YOUR NFORCE DRIVERS IF YOU USE NFORCE AND UPDATE THEM 4.62 this fixed the problem for me, my current problem is that I have a CTD when at the connection screen at 'Recieving', does anyone know what ports I have to open?

Pity I didn't see this earlier crazy_o.gif

However, I am now having the same problem as you, CTD when trying to join a game or create a game. Where you able to fix it this problem?

Oh and about the updated .exe , in the readme.txt it says :

"It's not recommended to use this exe to play the demo on

game clients.

I've tested the crossfire with a fresh windows install and a new motherboard and it still has the same issue. They're both Asus boards but they have different chipsets. I think that this bug can be chalked up to bad video code or something, as crossfire doesn't depend on program support to run... it can however be broken at the code level, as some 'plays best on nvidia' programs have done in the past.

anyone else have the demo crash like all the time ? - demo bummed out to desktop at least 4 times each for the 6 members we had playing it last night in a 3 hour period.

.... wev'e narrowed down that its something to do with when people pick their kits form the group window and lag. - maybe two people pick the same item and the whole game falls over. -- everyone but the host crashes.

I have been waiting for this game over a year now and yesterday I downloaded the Demo and couldn't wait to try it out !  yay.gif

I installed without any problems, and started the game right away. Looked at the Graphic settings "changed resolution from 800x600x32 to 1152x864x32" and continued to Multiplayer menu....

First thing I didn’t really understand was the Ping description. I mean what dose [][][], [][], [] and ! stand for? Hmm well at least I could choose maximum ping in Filter so “max 150â€. Still all [][][], [][], [] and ! showing, so still no clew to the meaning of these…

Plenty of servers to choose between, although only few hade players on them. I found a CTF game with 7/14 players “so lets try thatâ€. Double Click – Loading screen - !!!! BAM !!!! – Crash to Desktop with Error message…   huh.gif

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=armaprobbl4.jpg

So, now I have been trying over and over again. Actually I did get threw the first loading screen 1 or 2 times, where you can see the other players etc. Then you hit Enter and its says “Sending data†and !!!! BAM !!!!  Crash to Desktop with the same Error message…

I was so looking forward to this game, but I might as well forget it since it won’t run on my comp  confused_o.gif

Athlon 64 3500+ “2,21 GHzâ€

ATI x800 Pro

1 GB ram

Windows XP pro

Ps. Yes I have the newest Ati Driver, DirectX and OpenAL updates Installed.

To all with a Windows Error at the second to last checkbox, CHECK YOUR NFORCE DRIVERS IF YOU USE NFORCE AND UPDATE THEM 4.62 this fixed the problem for me, my current problem is that I have a CTD when at the connection screen at 'Recieving', does anyone know what ports I have to open?

Pity I didn't see this earlier crazy_o.gif

However, I am now having the same problem as you, CTD when trying to join a game or create a game. Where you able to fix it this problem?

Oh and about the updated .exe , in the readme.txt it says :

"It's not recommended to use this exe to play the demo on

game clients.

Install OpenAL, availible here

sirex, that is a known problem and it happens to everyone. Maybe it will get better with dedicated servers.

Ok, apart from having some of the problems other members of this board have experienced, I happened upon a rather interesting bug.

While playing on a server the soldier I played all of a sudden started running around by himself. I couldn't run, but I still could shoot and reload. But the player was acting logically, not just running like a plucked hen as can be the result of extreme lag.

After a while we figured out that another player was playing the running part, and I played the shooting part of the soldier!

And it seemed like we weren't the only 2 that had that bizarre problem on that server.

As for 2 suggestions to improve the multiplay part of the game, first I'd like you guys to replace the 1-3 boxes under "Ping" with real numbers.

Second, a option for server hosts to limit people with high ping to not be able to join the server.

As it was now I couldn't find a server with only low ping players gaming. Even if we were 4 with low ping, there could be a 5th player with 460 in ping. Wich, needless to say, ruins for the rest.

Merry christmas.

Edit: Typo.

That is possibly *the* coolest bug I have ever heard of.

Indeed, we need numbers instead of boxes. They're just too confusing. I joined a 3 box server that was in Australia and I live in Europe, no way the ping would even be under 500 but yet the game gave me 3 ticks.

Install OpenAL, availible here

Dang tht worked for you? had already updated it to try and fix my previous problem sad_o.gif

I went into My Documents>AA Demo and if you open up the config (CFG) file and change FSAA=1; to FSAA=0; it APPEARS to help performance. I got no FPS readings before and after though to be sure.

There also appears to be a setting to lower the HDR, but that just keeps going back to default 8 so dont think that is changeable.

Firstly may I say thanks for the free demo, considering I am about to complain in a minute I think it's only fair to point that out.

I have an Securerom issue error (7000), if anyone has any practical workarounds to that issue I would be very intrested.

Secureom recommend downloading their files that re-arrange my registry, although they don't say how, but only that they don't guarentee the result.

Which is a pity because it's a working computer so I can't balls it up experimenting.

At least I know if Securom is on the UK release not to buy it I guess, although it works on my other computers fine.

By way of suggestion (here's my niggling complaint), would it be possible to have demo issues not all merged into one monsterous difficult to navigate thread.

I tried the search engine, which led me here, but still had to read through 16 pages of stuff only to find out that no one has posted a workaround to my issue.

Technical issues are very frustrating, as is the layout of this demo support. Apologies if it's made me grumpy.

windows crashes after all the small boxes are marked. I have updated openAL, direct X, and ati drivers.

my specs: intel p4 2.66ghz, ati radeon 9800 Pro 128mb running in agp 4x, 768mb ram, creative sb audigy

does anybody know whats wrong?

To anyone having the "can host but can't join" problem:

I haven't found a fix yet, but a rather peculiar anomaly - when I host a game on LAN from my laptop, my desktop can join without issue.

Sorry - it's still not a fix, but it is some new information.

That is REALLY weird...

Was playing demo-CTI mission. I can't get point why demo was released. Bugs makes it complete unplayable. I mean CTI. There is so much bugs that I can't stand say anything of them. Many bugs also in another missions. Hope things get changed before 505-publishing, but this will give very bad PR for ArmA.

There also appears to be a setting to lower the HDR, but that just keeps going back to default 8 so dont think that is changeable.

Have you tried right clicking on ArmADemo.cfg => Properties => Attributes => click the Read-only box => and then Apply?

Was playing demo-CTI mission. I can't get point why demo was released. Bugs makes it complete unplayable. I mean CTI. There is so much bugs that I can't stand say anything of them. Many bugs also in another missions. Hope things get changed before 505-publishing, but this will give very bad PR for ArmA.

i know, there's typos throughout the mission descriptions, CTD's, graphics glitches, and AI bugs. its all very unfinished.

im just hoping the demo isnt from the lastest build as i dont think the german version has as many problems.

pretty bad when you boot the game and spot a typo in the first 30 seconds though.

as demo's go its fun to play but my god, if i didnt know OFP already i'd never buy ArmA from that demo.

Ok, so my 6600gt is almost not relevent, i got over my anger about the insane min req for this game,i even almost got used to playing this on 800x600, while this card plays very well other titles. And this with no clear reason, i mean - u dont see any fancy geometric models, the cities have very simplistic bulidings, so i dont get it.

But what is worse is the coming and going (mostly going) of the textures, 1 sec the game is textured, a sec after it is totaly naked with wiered objects instead of everything, or just plain boxes and ground.

Dont think i will risk it with the full version.

hmmm. looked in my ArmADemo.cfg file:

language="English";

adapter=-1;                

3D_Performance=1296.000000;

Resolution_W=1024;

Resolution_H=768;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

refresh=75;

FSAA=4;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="4318,660,56299742";

localVRAM=527429632;

nonlocalVRAM=192937983

"adapter=-1; " - minus one? this seems odd?

"localVRAM=527429632;" **- seems to only see half of the memory  availible (ie only one card in the 7950 pair). I have the Nvidia control set to "hardware acceleration - single display mode" (is this the equiv in the classic control panel as "Multi-GPU mode" in the new control panel? (two instances of 7950 GX2 listed in the device manager)(the two seperate cards i imagine)

** *EDIT* ok I now know that this is normal & the reading is repeated in dxdiag. Damn, there has to be a reason why my pref is so poor....

Anyone any ideas - is the demo detecting my card incorrectly?

Intel Pentium 840D @ 3.2 Ghz

XP Media Edition SP2 all up-to-date

EVGA GeForce 7950 GX  1G mem on 6.14.10.9371 nvidia drivers (and before someone chips in, yep I have enough power (700W), and stacks of cooling too)(in single display mode)

C-Media (5.12.1.8)

2048 M's DDR. matched pairs

DirectX 9.0c (latest update ('Dec 06 sometime)

im just hoping the demo isnt from the lastest build as i dont think the german version has as many problems.

Actually it is version 1.03, full czech and german versions are 1.02. I have found that ArmA is much stable in some computers and crashing all the time in others...

I really hope BIS uses all of their resources to fix ArmA, otherwise it will be totally wasted in the means of business.

But what is worse is the coming and going (mostly going) of the textures, 1 sec the game is textured, a sec after it is totaly naked with wiered objects instead of everything, or just plain boxes and ground.

What Ori_b said is exactly what I'm having

I'm having a great time with the demo...I find it a lot of fun...I don't have many of the problems you listed so I don't know whats wrong with it...so unfortunately I can't help I don't have any FPS problems or anything

the problem I have is my game will be going fine...but all of a sudden for either a little bit or a long time my textures will go out...like the buildings will just be boxes and the people will look like stick people and the gun will look like a tube lol. the same problem Ori_b is having.

I have a 6800GT

1 gig of DDR Ram

Windows XP Pro with SP2 all updated

direct x9

but I definately meet the requirments..

and I have all my settings on the highest settings except for shadows I have on low.

if someone could tell me what to do *possible just change my video options around* so that my textures don't look stupid I'd appreciate it.

Other than my problem with the textures im not having any trouble with the demo =\

and I'll look for these other problems your all having and see if I can help any of you out? I'm not promising anything..but I'll try

If someone can help me though I'd appreciate it thanks =)

the problem I have is my game will be going fine...but all of a sudden for either a little bit or a long time my textures will go out...like the buildings will just be boxes and the people will look like stick people and the gun will look like a tube lol. the same problem Ori_b is having.

I have a 6800GT

1 gig of DDR Ram

Windows XP Pro with SP2 all updated

direct x9

but I definately meet the requirments..

and I have all my settings on the highest settings except for shadows I have on low.

if someone could tell me what to do *possible just change my video options around* so that my textures don't look stupid I'd appreciate it.

Other than my problem with the textures im not having any trouble with the demo =\

and I'll look for these other problems your all having and see if I can help any of you out? I'm not promising anything..but I'll try

If someone can help me though I'd appreciate it thanks =)

You might be pushing it with everything at its highest, try to set some settings lower (like textures and post processing), it should still look good smile_o.gif .

Ohhh thanks =)

but what exactly would be best to turn down? Everything?

or just the anti-aliasing and stuff?

but none the less

in the demo I do see some AI glitches..and still a few graphics glitches *not just my texture problem*

but other than that nothing worse than that =\ no FPS drops or anything

So I don't know whats wrong with all of your versions sorry though =\ wish I could help.

but from what I hear the real game is more stable than the demo..but still has plenty of problems to be fixed =\

so I think I will be waiting a few weeks after its release or a month before I get it with hopes they fix the problems. *if it comes to the US that is*

but still a very fun game.

but again thank you for the help =)

It has been said by placebo that the first thing to go if you're running the game ons ettings that are too high for your system to support is the AI. I would recommend that you just turn everything down in incriments until it runs well for you and then start tweaking. There are many tweaking tips available on this forum.

hooah, im going to do that now.

if I see this texture problem again I will take a screenshot of here and post it up? if thats okay.

and sorry to Placebo I did not remember seeing anything about that =O

but again thanks =) I'm going to try all of this now