Sign in to follow this  
nigelbland

Demo today....WOOT

When I want to play the demo it says "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found" please help

Tried reinstalling DirectX?

@Gon4z

I'll reply to you when I can understand what it is you're trying to say...?

EDIT: As for your image, well...

[img/]http://www.mechmodels.com/mas/screenshots/ohno_myneck.jpg[/img]

@Meathead

GF4 cards are not DX9 cards. They're DX8. ArmA is a DX9 game, hence a DX8 card cannot run it.

Great Job... so wat are you trying to prove, as i see it you just proved me right that ArmA is not better than OFP at all...

Great Job... so wat are you trying to prove, as i see it you just proved me right that ArmA is not better than OFP at all...

Not trying to prove anything. Just asking you to calmly point out what you don't like about it, and why my post apparently caused a load of hot coals to end up in your shorts. wink_o.gif

(But you have to admit, ArmA dude doesn't have Laffy Taffy neck.)

Quote[/b] ]GF4 cards are not DX9 cards. They're DX8. ArmA is a DX9 game, hence a DX8 card cannot run it

Well crap.

I guess its time for ANOTHER new comp. mad_o.gif

Flying a helicopter is nothing like that you should know? Why should you know, its quite obvious you don't know jack shit about helicopters. Any helicopter that is fully articulated is responsive as hell regardless of weight. Oh btw only smaller helicopters can roll, guess you forgot to tell these guys that http://youtube.com/watch?v=VZlqfYLFR-4

A CH-53 is a hell of alot bigger and heavier than an Mi-8 and its still responsive. Please stop spreading your uniformed, almost unreadable crap about helicopters. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Can't believe I missed this post but yeap,pretty much if it is a cargo helicopter,it cannot roll,and why would it need to roll anyway? Though size isn't necessarily teh main judgement,its moreso the rotor system and how well its built,AH-64's are one of the largest AH's out there and it can still perform loops and barrel rolls. Of course once more,fully articulated rotor vs not so fully articulated,as well as probably areodynamics and how wind current flows over the body of the helicopter..the apache made a great barrel loop and seemed to remain on an "axis",reality,atleast from what I'v seen. Still..I bet those loops give some pretty good stress on the rotors.

My thoughts:

Downloaded and installed flawlessly.

After 3 hours of trying to get into a decent game I have given up. I have a highspeed connection and my ping were usually between 100-200.

Most of the time you get "a lost connection interruption" or you get onto a server and the game hangs at "Receive mission file"

Or you get in and start playing and the host crashes.

I had one full 30 minute round of CTF that was fun, however it did get laggy at times.

Occassionally people were using invoice chat, but only to complain about the problems they were having. Didn't hear anyone using invoice chat tactically.

Big difference that I saw from 1.01 to 1.03 is a double tap feature on the mouse functions (but this may have been in 1.01).

All in all my online demo experience was very similar to the original Opflash online play. Spotty at best.

I am very surprised BIA released this as demo at this stage. I hope it doesn't cost sales.

well, it's a nice game, i need to buy a new 3d card, my x600 is just a heap of shit tounge2.gif . Other than, the multi works fine for me, no problems. i have just a strange problem with some voices. they have echo huh.gif i have open AL, because i need it for an other 3d engine, that may be the cause of my problem?

thx BIS for the demo. thumbs-up.gif

I hate to say it, but after playing the demo, I'm disappointed as many of you are too. I suppose my computer isn't top of the line, but I thought I would at least be able to run ArmA at a decent level.

For my computer at:

3.0 Ghz P4

1 GB RAM

256MB Geforce 6200

I ended having to decide whether I wanted to play at an unplayable frame rate at normal level or wanted to have a smooth frame rate at low, where it is impossible to see any enemies due to the extremely low LODs. The computer I own isn't top of the line at all, but I definately thought I would be able to run ArmA decently. I don't like to complain, but I am disappointed with ArmA at the moment sad_o.gif

It's all still fine though, I've still got OFP yay.gif

I ended having to decide whether I wanted to play at an unplayable frame rate at normal level or wanted to have a smooth frame rate at low, where it is impossible to see any enemies due to the extremely low LODs. The computer I own isn't top of the line at all, but I definately thought I would be able to run ArmA decently. I don't like to complain, but I am disappointed with ArmA at the moment

I was hoping my system would be able to run ArmA flawlessly as well, but I figured that wouldn't be possible. I can run the coop and CTF fine with all settings set to low and very low when possible, with a 1200m view distance, but the CTI gets me about 10FPS or less. But I don't have any problems seeing enemies at these settings - seems pretty easy, in fact.

My specs -

AMD Athlon XP 3200+

2GB RAM

128MB GeForce 6800XT

Honestly, my expectations for ArmA were low in the first place, so a lot of things are proving to be a treat for me. That aside though, it seems to be VERY crash prone with all details set to low. If I set details to normal or higher, it becomes more stable.

Wow that was disappointing. I doubt I ever got a FPS better than 4 with settings to low. My setup

AMD 1.8 athlon

1024mg ram

Nvidia FX5600

80 gig hD

Lots of disk swapping going on. Is there a way to optimize?

Mouse was pulsing all over with the disk reads. UGH  banghead.gif

edit

Ok second chance.. cleaned up my HD to make room was able to get game going. Had to play at 640x480 to get 5 fps with all graphics levels at low and no shadows. Yikes.....

and another banghead.gif

Some quick demo impressions:

1. Holy performance. The game looks worse than the original flashpoint + mods in many aspects on low detail (looks muddy, sloppy, not as clear and crisp) yet the game runs at a 1/3 the framerate. My comp isn't a super old comp either, I would say its above-average yet the game feels laggy on low settings (not to mention looks like crap)

IMO, one FPS killer that can't be disabled is HDR. I have no idea what bis was thinking in not allowing us to disable this pointless, cosmetic framerate-eating feature.

2. AI. WOW! REally impressed by this. They are smart and extremely deadly. I was playing it like I was playing the flashpoint AI, not expecting the AI to be able to fire from behind sandbags (!wink_o.gif and they also went and hunted me down when I was hiding!

3. EDIT: found out teams ARE in the game, just a little more tricky to get to smile_o.gif Commanding is quite nice now!

WHAT ON EARTH WAS BIS THINKING WHEN THEY REMOVED THE "TEAMS" MENU? This feature was useless in flashpoint due to the overcomplexity of the command, but with the "quick command" menu, this feature would be brilliant! Too bad commanding as a whole is RUINED, yes I say RUINED, by having to press 5 F-buttons to move one of your team, then to forget which ones you put on fireteam A and which ones you put on fireteam B. I really hope this is added in a patch soon.

4. Didn't get a real good sense of gameplay due to trouble finding a good server (keep getting kicked and what not...) and some crappy servers where there is little teamwork/people who know what the hell they're supposed to be doing.

IMO, it was okay, but could be improved, namely teams and performance.

Whats wrong with the precise auto aiming crap of these bots in coop?

There is absolutly no way to outsmart them, once you have fired one shot these bots are comming your way and cant miss you with their auto aiming.

And this game is so slowmotion that once they start shooting at you you cant run or duck or whatever.

This game is realy boring and slowmotion to find the excitement to keep people to play it.

This game has absolutly nothing to say damn this is getting me enthousiastic to play it.

- Enviourment is boring and dead

- stupid autoshot of the AI bots

- Enviourment is dull and realy old fashioned

- i sit in armoured vehicle during a CTF game with AI bots and they kill me in the driverseat (WTF)

- The AI has nothing to do with smart AI system because once you get in their danger box you cant escape, duck or run away with this stupid auto aiming.

Wow that was disappointing. I doubt I ever got a FPS better than 4 with settings to low. My setup

AMD 1.8 athlon

1024mg ram

Nvidia FX5600

80 gig hD

since your spec is quite under the basic needs it seems normal to me, did you use -maxram= command to assign ram to run the game? is your VR ram setting is optimized?(2 times the size of your actural phy. ram)

defrag your hdd where your system, game and page file are in would also help

somehow i think those AI aint accrate at all

tried different engagement range with mixed skilled level, super ai off, all of them feel different in a fairly realistic way, not that much aimboted as in ofp b4

tried different engagement range with mixed skilled level, super ai off, all of them feel different in a fairly realistic way, not that much aimboted as in ofp b4

I hope your kidding there?

I tested it in a humvee in the demo coop and drove the humvee at the top of our starting position.

I changed drom driver to gunner seat to gun down the aproaching AI bots.

While i was looking with the guns iron sight i was shot down and when the ingame movie goes from my body to the AI that killed me it was so stupid to see that from that far distance i got shot down by this AI with the AK from that range.(i cant even see those AI with my scope from that range)

So thats a realy freaking dumb auto aim AI system.

Guess I need some heavy tweaking to do... AMD Athlon 2800+, 512 MB Ram, FX5600 256 MB's... the game looks like a friggin' slideshow even on the lowest settings. crazy_o.gif

Yep, lots of tweaking to do. But you can do it. You should get a hold of the guy that made DOOM3 run on a vodooo 64 mb : )

I hope your kidding there?

I tested it in a humvee in the demo coop and drove the humvee at the top of our starting position.

I changed drom driver to gunner seat to gun down the aproaching AI bots.

While i was looking with the guns iron sight i was shot down and when the ingame movie goes from my body to the AI that killed me it was so stupid to see that from that far distance i got shot down by this AI with the AK from that range.(i cant even see those AI with my scope from that range)

So thats a realy freaking dumb auto aim AI system.

you have to tell me which distance between you and your enemy, if it is within 500m~600m its still realistic enought, anything above 700m would need luck even for AIs

BTW humvee itself is quite a large target even some 500 meters away, and there is no protection at all when you're manning the gun

AMD 1.8 athlon

1024mg ram

Nvidia FX5600

80 gig hD

since your spec is quite under the basic needs it seems normal to me, did you use -maxram= command to assign ram to run the game? is your VR ram setting is optimized?(2 times the size of your actural phy. ram)

defrag your hdd where your system, game and page file are in would also help

Yes I did defrag and was able to get into the game at 640x480... Now you mention maxram. This makes me believe there is probably a whole set of options at the command line. Anyone care to share them. crazy_o.gif

I am still curious if we ever gonna see a good massive wargame in the future.

With air/land/sea warfare together on huge and i mean huge maps/lands to fight your battle on with more then 200 players on each side.

I am still curious if we ever gonna see a good massive wargame in the future.

With air/land/sea warfare together on huge and i mean huge maps/lands to fight your battle on with more then 200 players on each side.

yes you can do that, someone already did that in CZ verson 1.00(air not cause bis is still tweaking the control) only problem is that he is using a C2D class CPU tounge2.gif

I was actually flying around the helicopters, I actually like the new flight model, it still needs tweaking (quite ironically opposite of ofp, the new FM has too little inertia as opposed to too much)

Another note on HDR: not only does it detract from performance, but it is REALLY annoying. On a sunny day my eyes change from light to dark from the muzzle flash of my gun. So my screen is flickering colors practically from just firing my gun due to the eye-adjustment thing.

Right now the game seems to lack personality. It just seems like a tactical military simulator. Hopefully this can be fixed with some good single player missions.