Sign in to follow this  
SHWiiNG

Urban combat

ok, so i dont have ARMA yet, but i was wondering about Urban combat, ive seen many submited videos showing urban conflicts, (By the way the cities look brilliant), i was wondering, what are the AI like, i mean do the cover behind walls, stack up before moving accross open areas that sort of thing, lol, the kind of thing you seen on black hawk down.

Any answers. appreciated,

AI pretty much the same as OFP, and the possibility to get stuck in a building is still high. Someone prove me wrong please sad_o.gif

AI are much better and i havent once gotten stuck in a building. Urban combat is much easier.

ok, so i dont have ARMA yet, but i was wondering about Urban combat, ive seen many submited videos showing urban conflicts, (By the way the cities look brilliant), i was wondering, what are the AI like, i mean do the cover behind walls, stack up before moving accross open areas that sort of thing, lol, the kind of thing you seen on black hawk down.

Once I got stuck in a toilett and it took me about an hour to get out of it.

do the cover behind walls, stack up before moving accross open areas that sort of thing, lol, the kind of thing you seen on black hawk down.

They do nothing like that.

Quote[/b] ]They do nothing like that.

They do. Just use the appropriate combatmode and engagement level.

AI´s do search for cover when fired upon and are unable to instantly return fire. What I like most is there sophisticated way to vanish in front of you during a firefight and pop up from the flanks or in your back just some minutes after.

Don´t know what game you´re playing.

hmm thats a shame, i was expecting a bit more professionalism from the AI when attacking a built up area

possible to mod or implement later i wonder

Yesteday I opened up with a M249 from 700m away with my clanmates, the Ai just turned and flead, we got them all but they ran in and out of concealment on the way.

They move tactically, or they do for me. I put down some BLUFOR recon troops, told them to get through a city on 'Full' and in 'Combat' mode. I have definetley seen a bit of stacking here and there.

I have definetley seen a bit of stacking here and there.

That was probably just a traffic jam of several soldiers using the same pathfinding solution and coming into each others way. wink_o.gif

How is the urban behaviour with combatmode 'stealth' and speedmode 'limited'? That made alot of difference in OFP. Also try to disable their "Target" AI.

the towns are pretty well done in arma. they look good and they allow for far more interesting battles than in opf, since they are way more detailed and diverse. but the ai does a rather bad job finding it's way through the backyards and other narrow passages, unfortunately. if you just keep walking, at some point the ai will probably stop following you and try to find another way, that is defined by waypoints placed all over the map (but not in backyards...), i assume. real pity... i really, really hope, that BIS will improve that.

Once I got stuck in a toilett and it took me about an hour to get out of it.

In real life or in ARMA?

Actually I found the AI to behave strangely on some locations.

E.g. I placed a russian AI squad into a small base on the east coast of Sahrani, and set waypoint for them to walk patrol in a perimeter just along the bases border.

No matter what I did, they would start to flank 100 meters up a hill, away from the base, and then approach the next waypoint as if there was some 'no-go' area around the south side of the base.

I've tried several times to create the group new, and move the way points. Meh.

How is it with...

COMBAT

NORMAL

LINE

OPEN FIRE

with a GUARD waypoint?>?

In OFP I allways had fun tracking enemy down when they had a guard waypoint. They will use more sollutions it seems. And they seem to be smarter somehow. Probally my imagination...

Ooh I cant wait till feb 16... help.gif

Aside from what has already been dicsussed, I love how the ai have the ability to walk through the chain-link barbed wire fences as though they are not even there.

Was hoping not to see that again... crazy_o.gif

AI is slightly improved, they move more smoothly at least, in OFP they stopped every 2 seconds.. thats a bit more reduced.

Though some things never change, like a single soldier lies in the middle of an open area, instead of taking cover round a corner. :\ But when fired upon some units will run for cover or if you shoot at a member of the squad the other soldiers will run towards him to 'help' him out.

What i do on the COOP demo map is shoot at the guys on the road to the right and run into a house, watch them run past the house to support and lean round corner and shoot them in the side biggrin_o.gif

Urban combat sucks.

Game speed has decreased noticeably to please the realism-coop whores.

Therefore maps that require reflexes are now redundant in its nature cause it takes 3-4 seconds to take an enemy away.

That obviously kills the fast pace action.

Also there is nothing as taking cover, giving supressive fire, etc... the 90% just lay, search for you, spot you and kill you.

The other 10% may go and move to another position and then search for you.

What it gets amusing is that if you predict their move you can shoot the ai without them doing nothing.

Playing the demo, I found the AI to be very good at flanking you in urban combat. You REALLY have to watch your six (or have a friendly cover you) or else you'll get shot in the back. As for cover, well, that depends. The AI are usually too busy moving around to take cover, and TBH they have no reason to IMO. They're reaction is a LOT better, so if you do catch them in the open you better think of finding cover yourself.