Sign in to follow this  
--DST-- HIGHLANDER

should you be able to move and shoot in ARMA?

Someone should just create an OFP mod for ARMA

That would be the best thing i think!

That's already an official work in progress that BI is supporing!

smile_o.gif

Enzei, that chart most likely represents you.  Just because your not good enough to play against a "human player" doesn't mean we are all like you.

ARMA's not coop only you know.  Well so far it looks like it, but it will only affect the game in a negative way.

I think this officially proves that you do not indeed read other people's posts. tounge2.gif

Thats only for the campaign. It won't change the player movements or anything.

But it will be a great idea for somebody to change the animations, player movements, and flight dynamics to OFP style.

Even for the cost that you can only play with people using the same mod, I still think its worth it.

I think more people will use it then the default ARMA.

I'm not sure if the player movements are hardcoded.

Edit 1: Enzei, I did read other people's posts too, but that wasn't the point. It seems that you try to jeopardize ARMA as a coop game only, which is clearly not. Thats why BIS included CTF's and Flag fights, even though they didn't realize their game isn't good for such modes. (In its current state).

However, there are a lot of people that are CTF players, as well as coop players that will be disappointed by this. But you can only realize this in the future once ARMA will turn into OFP when it comes to online activity. Only ARMA will reach that point way faster than OFP. Time will tell.

Someone should just create an OFP mod for ARMA

That would be the best thing i think!

That's already an official work in progress that BI is supporing!

smile_o.gif

But it's still based on this engine.

geez!

what a dumb poll!

i´m getting eye-cancer! yeach!

the anims are great and ALOT BETTER than ofp ones..

Me as an avid TDM+C&H player(Us folk call it A&D but I don't want to confuse you people with actual attempts at organized wargaming) can't see anything wrong with the current controls. Any organized group of people conducting virtual warfare should have no problem with it.Its the Chicken-without-a-head type that can't deal with this.And you don't want to run like a chicken without a head, now do you.

geez!

what a dumb poll!

i´m getting eye-cancer! yeach!

the anims are great and ALOT BETTER than ofp ones..

I still like the VBS slow jogging anim better though.

Edit: Also has anyone looked in the animimations pbo and looked at how the new ones are coded? Yikes. Lots of work if you want to edit them it seems. Not like OFP.

Ok, so you don't like the fact that you can't run and gun. You can walk and gun, but you still don't like that.

So, if you play CTF, why don't you tell one of your buddies to COVER you while you get the flag. Is that so hard?

A lot of people seem to be putting this down mostly because you play with each other in co-ops or cti addicts.... I enjoy these type of games myself also.

But at the end of the day theres a lot of people who enjoyed cqb including me which at current may aswell be changed to ccb - corner camp battle.

Everything is way to slow anims, pressing x after I run to crouch all the time as well as other things its changed in a big way but maybe I just need time to get used it.

I have the game but refuse to play it untill the bugs are ironed out.

Enzei, that chart most likely represents you.  Just because your not good enough to play against a "human player" doesn't mean we are all like you.

ARMA's not coop only you know.  Well so far it looks like it, but it will only affect the game in a negative way.

biggrin_o.gif

HIGHLANDER @ Dec. 19 2006,19:30)]this is probably, because 90% that have posted here are coop players that love killing ai,

biggrin_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif

I mostly only play coop too. My experience from other 'coop' game is though, is that coop players do very well against human Intelligence. Maybe because HI sometimes are more predictable than AI. Maybe because AI sometimes, stupid as it is, isn't as stupid as some HIs.

But mostly because coop players take their time to get in position, wait for the kill and get it right the first time. Maybe bebause their are used to teamrespawn, they value their live over their score.

There's CounterStrike and there's ArmA, I'd like to keep the things seperated. You can play ArmA in a high pace, you just have to know the weapon drills and gameplay by heart. You can sprint your heart out, your just have to be ready to slow down and bring up your sights at close encounters.

I don't see any difference between OFP and ArmA in this sense.

Everything is way to slow anims, pressing x after I run to crouch all the time as well as other things its changed in a big way but maybe I just need time to get used it.

I have the game but refuse to play it untill the bugs are ironed out.

Those aren't bugs.

Quote[/b] ]I mostly only play coop too. My experience from other 'coop' game is though, is that coop players do very well against human Intelligence. Maybe because HI sometimes are more predictable than AI. Maybe because AI sometimes, stupid as it is, isn't as stupid as some HIs.

Your kidding right?

Well tell you what. How about a 1 on 1 dogfight in the legendary ofp dogfighting plane (cessna), special dogfighting map. If you shoot me down once in 10 atempts, I will never post in this forum again.

I can even arrange a server for you.

your right but they bug the hell out of me...

I thought the corner bug was removed with the 1.02 patch?

And maybe your right about the crouch bug. I thought that if you were in a crouch, got up and moved you then went back to a crouch when you stopped.

I didn't play the last 2 days, only edited so my memory of it is gone already.

I'm happy with the movement as it is. Wouldn't be ArmA\OFP without it. And yes, ArmA movement tweaks are an improvement.

I will never post in this forum again.

Sigh. The things dreams are made of.

I await snarky response with high anticipation. wink_o.gif

I'll start with saying that I'm a hardcore co-op-player myself, and defy any respawn game - including CTIs. HOWEVER, I just want to say to the people that are complaining that CTFers don't belong in OFP/ArmA should take a look around. You guys, as well as me, don't see the enjoyment that CTFers can get out of games like OFP or ArmA - but that doesn't remove the fact that they actually do enjoy the game. Apparently there's something there that attracts them, however we may not understand it - but it's still there.

So why bogger down on them? Aren't they sophisticated enough to be part of the community? Why should they be listened to when they are a minority? Well, I'll break something to you. YOU'RE the minority. That's why YOU play OFP/ArmA and not BF2 or CS. If nobody listened to the minorities you wouldn't have your precious OFP in the first place. EVERYONE should have the right to express their thoughts - and apparently OFP/ArmA attracts CTFers so they too should be able to put in a word amongst the military fanatics and the teamwork freaks.

I, personally, am sick of the elitistic spirit of OFP players - especially on this board. Yes, I am a proud Flashpointer and I take every opportunity I get to promote this fantastic game on different internet forums or in real life. And yes, I fight the mainstream-wave of games today. But that doesn't mean I look down on the mainstream gamer. I instead see the mainstream gamer as a gamer that has not yet realized how fun and entertaining an excellent game can be, and has yet to experience how much adrenalin can flow through your body when you lie in a bush for half an hour doing absolutely nothing but scan the horizon. Even if it would not be their cup of tea I think their taste is crap, but I respect them for that. You may not agree with them, but at least you can respect them, right?

OFP/ArmA are two fantastic games because of the scope. They offer a wide arrange of gamestyles and therefore also different types of players are attracted to them. Let's keep it that way, shall we?

EDIT: 666 posts! I'll never make another post in my life! tounge2.gif

I could care less if CTFrs are playing or not, it's just that threads like these from people who want to change the core gameplay and the design of the game to better suit their "run and gun" style. They want BIS to change the game to fit their style of play and not change their style of play to fit the game.

I could care less if CTFrs are playing or not, it's just that threads like these from people who want to change the core gameplay and the design of the game to better suit their "run and gun" style. They want BIS to change the game to fit their style of play and not change their style of play to fit the game.

I understand that and I reckon changing the animation system would be a dumb move, but pissing on the CTF-side of the ArmA-community is not the way to go. They are an equal part of the community, and even if I don't agree with them, I can respect them. Apparently there's something in the engine that they enjoy, and therefore they should be listened to and not just be greeted with an elitistic remark of a tactics freak, telling them to go off and find another game with a less realistic approach.

I dont understand why adversarial has to be the fast paced arcade and coop the slow and realistic.. if i play Arma (be it SP, coop or adversarial) i expect more serious fighting and missions.. this involves open field and close, mid and long range.

I dont see what this is all about because i dont have Arma yet, i played everything in MP OPF and run & gun'ers were never a problem there confused_o.gif .

Can anyone explain what is so diferent now, in OPF taking out run&gunners was basic turkey shooting, you could strafe walk if real close but other than that it wasnt efective... i had no problems with the gameplay there.

In VBS1 you can walk in any direction and shoot but not run and shoot so it worked the same way.

Lets not bash gamemodes and peoples preference, someone explain me what is so wrong and diferent in Arma because i dont get it so far confused_o.gif .

@dmakatra

Again, I agree with you and over the last 5 years I've kept my big mouth shut, but when people start complaining about aspects of the game that actually set it apart from the mainstream shooters and actually petition to get them changed, I can't sit there are not voice my opinion. I'm not being elitist, I just don't agree with many of the ideas being thrown around lately and a lot of the complaints people seem to have with ARMA.

i dont get this anyway, coop ctf cti, where's the difference. we're all using the same engine and most ctf players are aswell playing coop's and cti's or whatever, ctf is just good for fast action as not everyone has time to wait 1 hour till the action goes on. shoting while running can be used aswell in coop's and you already can shot while walking, well only singleshots but the will is there. should'nt be a big issue to add burst and auto to it, i dont get why its been changed in the first place as it is just not real, same goes for reloading a weapon. you have to stand still while doing so, where's the advantage here and why would the coop comunity wanna have those bugs ?

@ Ebud

Well, I don't know exactly what you've personally written Ebud and was more complaining about the general atmosphere of the thread. So if I made it seem as if I have confronted you on faulty terms, I apologize. I too like the new animation system and find many, many of the complaints surrounding ArmA ridiculous (to say the least) so I'm glad we agree. smile_o.gif

EDIT: I also apologize for my English today, I think it's because I've had my final exam in English this year so I'm not using that part of the brain anymore. nener.gif

someone explain me what is so wrong and diferent in Arma because i dont get it so far confused_o.gif .

I am in both groups here, played all games modes but RTS extensively.

For a fast paced shootout between multiple human players, ArmA seems too slow. It appears to me that it takes longer to get your player to do anything. Finding that action waypoint to bring up vehicle or ammo menu is rarely accomplished on the initial try

The great new animations of ArmA make shooting enemies a slower process. Moving my rifle and aiming on a target, especially +90 degrees of change result in what feels like to me an eternity to get on target and get an accurate shot off. Sidestepping from crouched position is an eyesore to watch, and just takes too dam long to recover aim. I have been using the standing position, which gives me a faster recovery time for my aiming, but compromises accuracy of quick successive shots. Bringing up the scope on most weapons lowers my framerate to unplayable levels, so it's best I don't use it.

you asked for some explanations, and (briefly) this is how I see it.

For the better, or the worse, I am playing this game, with any animations.

thumbs-up.gif

I didn't think you were being confrontational and I was just responding to what appeared to be a direct response to my message you quoted smile_o.gif