Sign in to follow this  
slip777

Armed Assault weapon ballistics

Rustman if you bought VBS2....  not that i dont belive you or anything just id realy like to see a screenshot of the VBS2 menue with your ID (username)... ooh & 1 last thing have the modeld the interiors of the BMP's & tanks in VBS2? oh & one more last thing where did you buy it from as id love to get my hands on a copy.

any ways we better get back  "on topic" before the "rimmers" get all button pushing on us.. (bless..)  whistle.gif

So is "sideairfriction" what makes the flags fly & smoke fly in same direction? is that the ambiant "wind"? if so that would be a verry cool feature to add to the game.. although how would you stop the bullets veering like paintballs with a bad spin wildly?

Rustman if you bought VBS2....  not that i dont belive you or anything just id realy like to see a screenshot of the VBS2 menue with your ID (username)...

any ways we better get back  "on topic" before the "rimmers" get all button pushing on us.. (bless..)  whistle.gif

So is "sideairfriction" what makes the flags fly & smoke fly in same direction? is that the ambiant "wind"? if so that would be a verry cool feature to add to the game.. although how would you stop the bullets veering like paintballs with a bad spin wildly?

he is still in iraq, and i dont think anybody would want to have their $1500 piece of soft blow up into pieces by IEDs icon_rolleyes.gif

oh and the wind in OFP and ArmA is not dynamic confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]oh and the wind in OFP and ArmA is not dynamic

It's the same in every place but the direction and force do change with weather.

Iraq...uhu..

Any ways i was wondering if you could loan me a code snippet to try out on my own little moded MP5A4 & the whole "im a 9mm firearm that can shoot dead on for 2000m & still kill a man" is getting a little lame i suppose i should finish the skins 1st but im just play for now, & trying to get my head round more code (not going well, although being partialy retarded dont help hehe) biggrin_o.gif

also maybe some one else might come up with another idea on how to get round the problem or there idea might lead you to find another way thumbs-up.gif

Iraq...uhu..

Any ways i was wondering if you could loan me a code snippet to try out on my own little moded MP5A4 & the whole "im a 9mm firearm that can shoot dead on for 2000m & still kill a man" is getting a little lame i suppose i should finish the skins 1st but im just play for now, & trying to get my head round more code (not going well, although being partialy retarded dont help hehe) biggrin_o.gif

also maybe some one else might come up with another idea on how to get round the problem or there idea might lead you to find another way thumbs-up.gif

Surely that's an overstatement. I find the mp5 to be quite insufficient above medium range.

you were right, made a mistake with wording there m8 thanks its not good but that not what i was realy meaning, talking about it still has sonic crack @ well over 500m like the man was saying erlier & as far as i have found can still kill, try it place 2 guys on runway (big one) about 800+ meters apart & play the shooter then switch instantly to the other playable unit & listen & watch,

I accidently killed myself with only one 9mm in the chest or side definatly wasent head. (note i barely had to increase the pistol barrels gradiant if at all..)

thats not right lol

so has any one seen any threads on this topic or know of any one working on this & im gaging to get more info..

I read this on the main website.

Quote[/b] ]

Combat:

Armed Assault features enhanced ballistic and recoil simulation.

Does this mean that ballistics will be improved officially, or what we have now is the enhanced ballistics?

I read this on the main website.
Quote[/b] ]

Combat:

Armed Assault features enhanced ballistic and recoil simulation.

Does this mean that ballistics will be improved officially, or what we have now is the enhanced ballistics?

What we have now.

Emmm.... what we have now are... laser rifles wink_o.gif tracers give away the current poor state of guns.

Agree, current ballistics are in pretty poor shape. Its basically a point n shoot system at the moment, range has very little influence of the shot.

Computer programmers... I am a novice by far, however I do know that it takes a great deal of mathematical knowledge to program, especially a game like ArmA.

Now I don't know the exact figures right off the top of my head, but I know that they are out there. And generally wouldn't IMO be to hard to implement into a game. By the way I'm talking about bullet drop, gravity pull, maybe even random windage. I think it would be godly if the bullets were simulated correctly.

Why can't/hasn't this been done ever? I served in the military, I shot 34/40 with my weapon and I know the sight pictures and referenced aim points rather well for your standard M16 Iron sight at ranges up to 300M. Seems to me in ArmA if you can aim center mast, you're set. WHY? lol make them work for their shot BIS... NO FLAMING just post your opinions.

Agree totally.

The Ballistics in VBS2 are shown to be far more accurately represented, and VBS2 boast its the same engine as ARMA, so why have we got left with the bargin basement physics huh.gif

"Gravity pull" is simulated by the ArmA engine.

The longer the distance, the more you have to raise the aim.

Most probably the gun you are talking about has the wrong parameters for v_0, bullet mass, etc. Maybe the one who implemented the config didn't have the same shooting practice with this gun like you.

But is possible and adjustable by the engine and needs tweaking of the parameters in the config. Some modder will take care of it sooner or later.

For the wind drift, well, I think it is not taken into account by the current engine.

Agree totally.

The Ballistics in VBS2 are shown to be far more accurately represented, and VBS2 boast its the same engine as ARMA, so why have we got left with the bargin basement physics huh.gif

Hm.. every one says that VBS is times better than arma... which I believe on account. But I have seen any shooting in VBS2 so far...

can someone please provide a link to a VBS2 video ?

Off the top of my head, go to vbs2.com and youll find a 30 min video under the media section.

as for a modder sorting the ballistics out, then only those who download the mod and play on server s with that mod will see any change. This is something that needs to be done in the Out of the box Arman so its accross the board.

Someone did reply via PM in regards to simulation laws, heh and it actually made perfect sense. I guess they don't want to make it so much of a simulation that the developers would be basically putting you through military training material virtually. So basically what I'm gathering is that there will most likely never be a game that sports everything to the point mathematically accurate due to the rules of simulation in games. icon_rolleyes.gif

By the way... when I say mathematically accurate, I'm thinking of... what I know as a prior service member with bullet travel, aimpoints and stuff like that... I will admit it would be alot to take into count mathematically speaking of course. First of all the bullet is spinning when it leaves the barrel due to the rifling, then you have the gravity function, speed of the round, weight of the weapon, weight of the bullet lol. I'm asking too much I know, I just want REALISM to the max.

well that sucks.. huh.gif

as real as possible as they say but it have its own "law" limitations.. shame.

edit: @USM-75R.Hspd |XO| every core fan want what you want. Shame its not possible to put it in confused_o.gif

So much for the "simulator" if they're intentionally putting fantasy values to their configs.

gravitational drop mechanism is definitely implemented. Very visible in long range Sabot shooting in tanks.

Air friction is not implemented though, which is really sad : the damage is ALREADY dependant on bullet speed in the engine, but said speed is constant. It was the last step to have it done somewhat correctly.

Apart from this missing friction, I don't see any really needed feature. Well, if other features are needed, I think there are other more important topics to be checked before.

If ArmA and VBS2 will share the same engine also in the future I am not so worry, everything that is possible in VBS2 can be done in ArmA too by modders (if funtionality is not blocked on purpose)

The many little or bigger tweaks in the configs necessary will come sooner or later by BI or a good modder.

Why can't/hasn't this been done ever?

I cannot speak for other game developers, but we did this already for OFP and then again for ArmA. The full flight path of the bullet is simulated, including the bullet drop, in both products. The bullet drop is not that significant in normal rifle engagment ranges (i.e. under 300 m), however when using sniper rifles or machine guns this is definitely something you can see (and something you need to compensate for).

Thanks for replying to the topic Suma.

Isnt there anything that could be added to the ballistics model without BIS being accused of fracturing some little known laws ?

As a former presicion shooter, the long range rifles are not very satisfying. Even if you could incoperate some way of zeroing scopes rathen than the fixed setting they have right now, it would probably feel a bit mor satisfying to shoot.

The sight zeroing has got my vote for sure.

BTW have seen no difference of bullet flight path with a standard m16 up to ranges of 6-700m, just aim in the same place as always and fire (this cannot be right surely).