Sign in to follow this  
feersum.endjinn

Finnish Defence Forces Mod

Sweet! Like the PK-soldier with the equiped mags smile_o.gif

Do the ammo cans disappear from that PK gunner's person as he expends ammo?

Sweet! Like the PK-soldier with the equiped mags smile_o.gif

Do the ammo cans disappear from that PK gunner's person as he expends ammo?

I was thinking the same.

I doubt, but when i see what the have done for OFP i think (or i hope) that they will find a way.

Can't the googles be animated like in the old ofp bas delta / rangers where you could have googles on or off? smile_o.gif

didn't do anything visual in 1st person view but in 3rd person view it looked cool or when others looked at you they could see the change smile_o.gif maybe check out in Arma if there is a way to make scratchy or dirty googles filter when you have googles down. smile_o.gif

Can't the googles be animated like in the old ofp bas delta / rangers where you could have googles on or off? smile_o.gif

didn't do anything visual in 1st person view but in 3rd person view it looked cool or when others looked at you they could see the change smile_o.gif maybe check out in Arma if there is a way to make scratchy or dirty googles filter when you have googles down. smile_o.gif

Everything that adds extra actions to action menu should have some kind of useful function IMO. Currently they are just eye candy and they will most likely stay that way.

About those PKM boxes... FDF has a doctrine which means you can't really throw anything away, so even empty PKM boxes would be reattached for future uses. A bare ammo belt would be a different case however wink_o.gif.

About those PKM boxes... FDF has a doctrine which means you can't really throw anything away, so even empty PKM boxes would be reattached for future uses. A bare ammo belt would be a different case however wink_o.gif.

But what if you start out as the PK gunner and after expending your ammo you pick up an assault rifle, having the ammo cases would look out of place. Especially if it's an intenese firefight you wouldn't want that extra weight on you.I'm just thinking out loud really so feel free to tell me to shut the hell up... biggrin_o.gif

About the goggles animated or not. BAS had that "coughing" effect if you didnt use them near BAS choppers, BAS pilots visor also made the view alittle darker.

Its possible to make them useful.

If just for looks it would be nice to choose animationstate in the init. That way it also could be scripted in the mission and wouldnt clutter up the actionmenu.

FDF was the best mod for OFP. Loads of maps with fog and rain while the rest of the community were pumping out sunny day missions FDF gave us horrible weather and an atmosphere 2nd to none.

Very good progress, especially the RK 95 looks almost photorealistic. The soldiers are obviously WIP but quite good. Are they supposed to be FRDF reservists? Looks like the standard NBG equipment. In a reservist exercise a few months ago FRDF didn't have any other M05 than the gloves, vest and goggles.

Some (obvious) issues with the WIP soldiers:

- Goggles waaay too small

- M05 arm pocket should be tilted and have rounded corners on the flap

- RDF arch too small (don't know if it's just the perspective but I've worn it quite a bit/sown one on and it doesn't look right)

- M05 helmet cover does not have the same kind of holes as in U.S helmets AFAIK

- Helmet shape/size, vest pouches, protective vest collar. Hope you add those badass arm protectors for urban jägers.

- Needs gloves, looks better and is realistic.

Phht I can't think straight right now but there are a bunch of small issues that I'm sure you will fix.

These are supposed to be standard FRDF soldiers with their full M05 gear.

Quote[/b] ]Goggles waaay too small

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]M05 arm pocket should be tilted and have rounded corners on the flap

Thanks for info, will be fixed.

Quote[/b] ]RDF arch too small (don't know if it's just the perspective but I've worn it quite a bit/sown one on and it doesn't look right)

Will be fixed.

Quote[/b] ]M05 helmet cover does not have the same kind of holes as in U.S helmets AFAIK

What do you mean?

Quote[/b] ]Helmet shape/size, vest pouches, protective vest collar. Hope you add those badass arm protectors for urban jägers.

Helmet is now fixed and vest pouches will be redone. We will also add the correct collar and groin plate for the grey ballistic vest. Arm protectors will be done later. According to my sources they are given to FRDF operators but aren't really used in real operations (too clumsy).

Quote[/b] ]Needs gloves, looks better and is realistic.

Will be added. Though I would like to see some detailed photos of them if possible. Do M05 gloves differ much from those crappy black leather gloves?

About the goggles animated or not. BAS had that "coughing" effect if you didnt use them near BAS choppers, BAS pilots visor also made the view alittle darker.

Its possible to make them useful.

If just for looks it would be nice to choose animationstate in the init. That way it also could be scripted in the mission and wouldnt clutter up the actionmenu.

@ NoRSu -> This was actually my question above when I talked about the ability of choosing to use it or not wink_o.gif

Yes, I thought something this way, like andersson pointed it out.

Anyway, the suspense rises up..........  yay.gif

Thanks for acknowledging my comments.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]M05 helmet cover does not have the same kind of holes as in U.S helmets AFAIK

What do you mean?

I see in the new promo picture (posted on the homepage) that the helmet cover has these small holes in it meant for putting vegetation and other crap in, like on PASGT helmets. M05 covers don't have here, compare it to the completely smooth cover in this picture.

Quote[/b] ]Arm protectors will be done later. According to my sources they are given to FRDF operators but aren't really used in real operations (too clumsy).

OK...but I don't think you really know what FRDF is if you use the term 'FRDF operators', which is understandable because I don't really understand it 100% myself since it's confusing as hell. I guess you could say I am a typical "FRDF operator", but then again I know some types who fit the same definition who couldn't operate their own fucking shoelaces. :P Check the wikipedia article on FRDF.

NBG, KFOR, ISAF etc. aren't really FRDF even though they use the same beret and insignia. On the other hand, the peacekeeping law says that all applicants for international missions are taken from the 'crisis management reserve'...it's a bit confusing...once again, don't confuse 'EUn nopean toiminnan joukot' with 'valmiusjoukot', 'suomen kansainvälinen valmiusjoukko', or just 'nopean toiminnan joukot' which FRDF is sometimes incorrectly called. They are a bit similiar and are connected in a way, though.

I haven't seen those arm covers issued to anyone except NBG and Guards Jäger Regiment (maybe they were to the EUBG before that, GBG, but I never saw them use them). I wonder how your source can say that they aren't used in real operations since AFAIK none of the units they are issued to have ever been in real ops.

To go off on a bit of a tangent here, just WTF is the difference between the M05 shrapnel vest and the M05 ballistic vest? The ONLY difference I have seen is different color, leather material on the shoulders and PALS on the front instead of fixed mag pouches. They close exactly the same (as I understand it), the shape is almost exactly the same, and both take ballistic plates (!wink_o.gif. They are both the same basic design as the M91 ballistic vest (not shrapnel vest), that is also made by Burgmann. I never saw the GBG Force Protection Coy. (during a year of training in the same brigade as them) use anything other than the M05 'shrapnel' vests, and they sure as fuck had plates in them. They also had the Burgmann light body armor sometimes, that is basically a plate carrier. Now NBG is using the same brown M05 'ballistic vests' as Guards Jäger Regiment, but you can see in the picture that I linked that small amounts of M05 'shrapnel' vests are also in use. So what is really the difference?? Does the M05 'shrapnel' vest just have weaker soft armor inserts or something?

I haven't used the M05 gloves myself but I know someone who has, they were nice but nothing special, look almost exactly the same as the totally worthless old ones too as I understand it. I always use my own Hatch gloves anyway so it doesn't matter. :P

Once again I have to ask what is a 'standard FRDF soldier'? For example in KFOR (I'm not deployed yet) the usual equipment is a uniform, beret/cap, pistol and maybe M05 equipment vest + rifle. It looks like you're going for the NBG look which is really nice and fits well if you're going for a standard FRDF soldier (if there is such a thing) in heavy combat load, so I have no problem with that, I'm just trying to question the definition a bit. Then you could also consider that the NBG personal combat equipment is just basically the same as the M05 equipment for a standard FDF soldier, except for the arch insignia. I'm rambling a bit, I'm off now but I am inclined to continue the 'discussion'.

With standard FRDF soldier/operator I mean those who are on active duty (usually abroad). Whether he/she is in KFOR/ISAF/etc. doesn't matter, we are just trying to create something what a FRDF soldier would look like with full M05 gear. This includes all kinds of variants like soldiers with berets, caps etc. Mission maker decides how and where to use them wink_o.gif.

About my source, he is someone who is going to Chad if that mission ever begins. He and his fellow soldiers are something I'm trying to create here. I asked him what they are issued with and what is really going to be used, thus no arm protectors (yet). I am also going to make that desert camo wink_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]I see in the new promo picture (posted on the homepage) that the helmet cover has these small holes in it meant for putting vegetation and other crap in, like on PASGT helmets. M05 covers don't have here, compare it to the completely smooth cover in this picture.

Promo picture shows an older WIP. So no worries there wink_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]To go off on a bit of a tangent here, just WTF is the difference between the M05 shrapnel vest and the M05 ballistic vest? The ONLY difference I have seen is different color, leather material on the shoulders and PALS on the front instead of fixed mag pouches. They close exactly the same (as I understand it), the...

I think it's just like it as was with the old M91 vests. Shrapnel vest was lighter and suited better troops who move a lot (jaegers etc.) and ballistic vest was for those who operate in smaller and more dangereous area. Also M05 shrapnel vest has those molle straps so you don't really need equipment vest with it (dunno why that guy has both though). We will of course make the M05 shrapnel vest too, but it's not a priority at the moment smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]I see in the new promo picture (posted on the homepage) that the helmet cover has these small holes in it meant for putting vegetation and other crap in, like on PASGT helmets. M05 covers don't have here, compare it to the completely smooth cover in this picture.

Oh, too bad. confused_o.gif

Liked this small detail ... wether it is "realistic" or not.

MfG Medicus

Cool.

Quote[/b] ]With standard FRDF soldier/operator I mean those who are on active duty (usually abroad). Whether he/she is in KFOR/ISAF/etc. doesn't matter, we are just trying to create something what a FRDF soldier would look like with full M05 gear. This includes all kinds of variants like soldiers with berets, caps etc. Mission maker decides how and where to use them wink_o.gif.

About my source, he is someone who is going to Chad if that mission ever begins. He and his fellow soldiers are something I'm trying to create here. I asked him what they are issued with and what is really going to be used, thus no arm protectors (yet). I am also going to make that desert camo wink_o.gif.

OK, nice, thanks for the explanation. About "active duty FRDF"... one can apply and get into an EUBG without ever having signed an FRDF readiness contract (or completed FRDF conscript training) and still for example wear the RDF insignia...so as you can see the term is a bit misleading. It's a bit like the US Army 75th Ranger Rgt., not all Rangers have gone to Ranger School and not nearly all officers who have finished Ranger School are in the regiment. edit: I have never really heard any peacekeepers/others talk about FRDF in any other context than the conscript training. The first KFOR battalion was formed out of parts of the FRDF reserve, as I understand it.

But for simplicity's sake FRDF soldier is fine, I'm just nitpicking because there is some understandable confusion about the FRDF role. smile_o.gif I have a friend of a friend who is going to Chad too.

I have one of those desert suits too (non-ripstop version), but it wasn't issued to me wink_o.gif Maybe make a guy with the woodland M04 hellepuku too? Just for the rolled-up sleeves, heh.

About those vests, yes that would be logical, but I still fail to see the difference between them other than name and coloring/surface. I guess there's some explanation like the difference in soft armor that I mentioned, I was just looking for info because I really don't know. I had the same idea sometime when searching for my combat belt in a dark tent, that it would be very practical to just combine protective and equipment vests, but the M05 frag/shrapnel vest has few PALS links compared to the equipment vest, so it can't completely replace it. The US military has IBA and other vests that have a shitload of PALS on them but they still often use chestrigs and vests over them, I heard they help a lot with load distribution etc. I have only used the M05-style KASI sim vest and well...I don't know.

edit: Had nothing to do and found further "proof" that the protective vests are basically interchangeable...two guys from apparently the same squad wearing "different" vests in this picture for no apparent reason. Yeah...

Quote[/b] ]Liked this small detail ... wether it is "realistic" or not.

Yeah, it isn't.

Thanks for your work, FDF team, looking forward to see the finished product (even though I don't own ArmAss or play video games anymore).

edit2: How about pistol holsters for the FRDF guys? From what I have seen in public photos, everyone in NBG and EUFOR Chad has a pistol, and I mean everyone. In FRDF conscript training the Uncle Mike's Pro-3 Triple Retention holster was issued (along with a few old "lucky luke" leather holsters haha), and it worked pretty well, looks like NBG is using those same ones. In KFOR, a whole lot of holsters are used, mostly a Bianchi flap holster and some Safariland 6004, I even saw someone using a Blackhawk Serpa.

Great job on the soldiers, it's good to see the Finnish getting ready for Armed Assault!

Quote[/b] ]edit2: How about pistol holsters for the FRDF guys? From what I have seen in public photos, everyone in NBG and EUFOR Chad has a pistol, and I mean everyone. In FRDF conscript training the Uncle Mike's Pro-3 Triple Retention holster was issued (along with a few old "lucky luke" leather holsters haha), and it worked pretty well, looks like NBG is using those same ones. In KFOR, a whole lot of holsters are used, mostly a Bianchi flap holster and some Safariland 6004, I even saw someone using a Blackhawk Serpa.

Yes every FRDF soldier will have pistol & holster. Is M-80 pistol (Browning HP) still the standard pistol in FRDF? I've heard of P226 being used too. Also any idea what model the holster in ArmA is?

can u make some soldiers to not be so skinny plz smile_o.gif  smile_o.gif  smile_o.gif

Here, this is the latest render:

dw1.jpg

Actually the conscripts nowadays are starting to look more and more like that... no wonder the army's upgrading from tight BMP's to bigger vehicles...

Quote[/b] ]edit2: How about pistol holsters for the FRDF guys? From what I have seen in public photos, everyone in NBG and EUFOR Chad has a pistol, and I mean everyone. In FRDF conscript training the Uncle Mike's Pro-3 Triple Retention holster was issued (along with a few old "lucky luke" leather holsters haha), and it worked pretty well, looks like NBG is using those same ones. In KFOR, a whole lot of holsters are used, mostly a Bianchi flap holster and some Safariland 6004, I even saw someone using a Blackhawk Serpa.

Yes every FRDF soldier will have pistol & holster. Is M-80 pistol (Browning HP) still the standard pistol in FRDF? I've heard of P226 being used too. Also any idea what model the holster in ArmA is?

I'm actually a bit uncomfortable discussing some of this stuff on a public forum (even though nobody tells me anything of importance and I'm exaggerating, I only know of rumours and my own training, but you can never be too careful), but collecting rare 'tactical' FDF info (especially international stuff) and pics is a kind of hobby of mine so add me on MSN (or PM me) if you think you might have use for me. I will be deploying in a few months and will have some kind of further first-hand experience with this. I have some kind of response to those questions you asked.

As I said I don't have ArmAss but in pictures the holster in ArmAss looks like the Bianchi M12 to me. Cheers.

can u make some soldiers to not be so skinny plz smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Here, this is the latest render:

dw1.jpg

Actually the conscripts nowadays are starting to look more and more like that... no wonder the army's upgrading from tight BMP's to bigger vehicles...

lol tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

crazy_o.gif Screw the nitchpitching and just put complete M/62 set there. It's so old that only greybeards will know what's wrong in it, if they remember (my agegroup already used M/62+M/91 halfbreed or complete M/91 at summers).

Summer outfit also requires mitten for atleast left hand!

EDIT: I might be joking tounge2.gif

crazy_o.gif Screw the nitchpitching and just put complete M/62 set there. It's so old that only greybeards will know what's wrong in it, if they remember (my agegroup already used M/62+M/91 halfbreed or complete M/91 at summers).

Summer outfit also requires mitten for atleast left hand!

EDIT: I might be joking tounge2.gif

I/07 was still using it in PorPr... wink_o.gif I guess II/07 will never know the wonders of the original "pellepuku" (which I hate from the bottom of my soul). In Utti I guess they will never switch from it, they are still using the 62. To get maximum realism, the M62 set should be mismatched as fuck with 10+ different color variations on the camo.

I love the M/62, it's only second to M/36 when it comes to atmosphere. In our exercises the OPFOR wore them the white side outwards, in summer. For some reason the OPFOR never sneaked on us.