Sign in to follow this  
dan9of9

ATI Drivers

well...not so many artifacts but very poor performance...with textures on normal, all eye-candy off and shaders and shadows on very low I get fps from 15-30...how is that possible when Nvida users get 50-70 with midend cards!?

Pentuim 3.4 GHz EE

1.5G Ram

ATI x1950Pro 512 AGP

/Abbe

hello Abbe,

I have a similar system let me tell you that the ATI drivers have bugs!

BUT they are working on a fix for it.

It might come some day in near future. Hold tight and wait for the driver update wink_o.gif

I have the same problem. I cant play arma as i should because of this driver bug.

My computer restarts it self in the middle on the game and the problem points to the video card.

I also have a X1950 pro 512mb AGP.

Wait and lets hope that the drivers fix this problem.

I think the graphic artifacts must AGP related, as most posting here with the problem have AGP cards. I hope BIS is listening.

I don't want to buy the game until I know the problem is fixed.

For my problematic 9600xt 128MB, I installed the latest ATI Catalyst 7.4 drivers, the latest DirectX 9.0c April 2007 drivers and changed my AGP aperture from 64MB to 128MB. Problem solved!   yay.gif

This fix really should be in the ArmA troubleshooting knowledge base...  confused_o.gif

Fiddled around with the settings, and this is mighty funny...

No matter what the fps are around 15-30 exept AA and AF which makes a huge impact...this is settings from very low to very high, it doesn't matter 15-30... crazy_o.gif

Maybe it's the default ATI 3D setting: 15-30 fps...?  wink_o.gif

/Abbe

Following Kestrals advice, I down loaded CAT 7.4 and upped my AGP aperture to 128 and bingo problem fixed.

I can now buy the game smile_o.gif

I'm running a Radeon x1900 GT, and I am getting this problem.

First thing I did was check my card's heat, and it wasn't overheating. I've also made sure I've got the latest drivers.

Same problem

X1950Pro 256MB PCI-E 7.4 catalyst driver

AMD 3200+

3GB Ram

Don't forget to also upgrade the newest directx drivers (released a couple of weeks ago).

Atievxx.exe problem.

The atievxx.exe is the "ATI Hot Key Poller" service. Apparently, this controls the graphics card power management features along with the hot keys manager (although strangely, I can still use hot keys when this service isn't running).

The problem is after booting up and waiting for everything else to settle down, my CPU jumps from 0 to 20-30% (sometimes even more) every few seconds. This happens no matter how long I wait for everything to load. When dragging a window around the desktop, the movement "stutters" when the CPU spike happens. And i can even hear the HD making noise (data access)

By checking the task manager, I see the CPU is being used by one of two atievxx.exe processes that are running (multiple instances are normal). Now 20-30% doesn't sound like much, but the process only runs on one of CPU cores, meaning that the process is actually consuming 40-60% of that core. Regardless of the numbers though, this cosistetent "spike" corresponds to the sluggishness and occasional screen drop-outs.

This is definitely the ATI driver problem because I don't have this problem with a clean install of XP BEFORE i install the drivers. But once the ATI drivers installed, no matter what type, i get this disk access problem.

I tried HIS drivers ( I have a X1950PRO ICEQ III from HIS), I tried regular ATI drivers, I tried OMEGA...same problem.

The only way I have so far to fix it is to disable both process in the task manager. The worst is I can't even disable it from msconfig-> startup because it doesn't even appear in there...

I googled the issue, a few people have the same problem, but nobody has a solution. Maybe i ll get lucky here? Please help.gif

Atievxx.exe problem.

The atievxx.exe is the "ATI Hot Key Poller" service. Apparently, this controls the graphics card power management features along with the hot keys manager (although strangely, I can still use hot keys when this service isn't running).

The problem is after booting up and waiting for everything else to settle down, my CPU jumps from 0 to 20-30% (sometimes even more) every few seconds. This happens no matter how long I wait for everything to load. When dragging a window around the desktop, the movement "stutters" when the CPU spike happens. And i can even hear the HD making noise (data access)

By checking the task manager, I see the CPU is being used by one of two atievxx.exe processes that are running (multiple instances are normal). Now 20-30% doesn't sound like much, but the process only runs on one of CPU cores, meaning that the process is actually consuming 40-60% of that core. Regardless of the numbers though, this cosistetent "spike" corresponds to the sluggishness and occasional screen drop-outs.

This is definitely the ATI driver problem because I don't have this problem with a clean install of XP BEFORE i install the drivers. But once the ATI drivers installed, no matter what type, i get this disk access problem.

I tried HIS drivers ( I have a X1950PRO ICEQ III from HIS), I tried regular ATI drivers, I tried OMEGA...same problem.

The only way I have so far to fix it is to disable both process in the task manager. The worst is I can't even disable it from msconfig-> startup because it doesn't even appear in there...

I googled the issue, a few people have the same problem, but nobody has a solution. Maybe i ll get lucky here? Please  help.gif

Have you tried to disable the service to see if it makes any difference ??

Start>>Run>>Services.msc [Enter]

Right click on the ATi hotkey poller service >> Properties then change startup type to disabled.

I dunno if the ATi Poller is the issue as I dont have any problems here.

Ati 7.4 work fine here, on an x1950Pro AGP 512Mb card arpeture at 128Mb

all works fine?

what about your handle leaks??? also ok?! i doubt!

all works fine?

Last time I looked it never went above 350 or so, havent looked into it since 6.12 tho. Next time I run Arma I'll take a look.

Seriously I have a pretty stable game, I did get the odd bit of LOD bug, but that stopped when I set 128Mb arpeture. (I was previously using 256)

I can play EVo 1.5a for hours without issue, i did get the odd hard lock when running the 1,05 beta patch but that was due to the gfx being under-powered but with 1.07 its fine. Also giving the GFX card a 400W psu all to itself helped whistle.gif

Specs.

A64 3500 @2.65Ghz

2 GB TwinX DDR ( 480DDR )

Sapphire X1950Pro AGP 512MB

Audigy Platinum S/Card

2x120Gig Segates, one for windows other for games

WinXP Sp2 32bit.

all works fine?

He's got AMD, no handle leak there...What is weird though is that the performance in his opinion seems ok, to me the same card is rubbish...Maybe the buggy driver has such impact?

/Abbe

all works fine?

He's got AMD, no handle leak there...What is weird though is that the performance in his opinion seems ok, to me the same card is rubbish...Maybe the buggy driver has such impact?

/Abbe

It guess it is just what each person perceives as good.

These settings on evo 1.5a altho i am not sure what the default VD is in evo. All ATI CCC settings are set to application default.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2439/armasettingscr3.jpg

I get between 14FPS in Towns to around 28FPS in open ground.

The low FPS in towns is noticable but im used to it now,

I uninstalled drivers then reinstalled them (6.8) Arma was good for two days and then this again!!

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522....MG]

This is starting to cheez me off because it's making ArmA unplayable for me.Other games are fine??

memory overheating ... change clock bit to lower it will go away ..

What's up with ATI, what's the deal?

We are May 23rd and the drivers haven't been released this month yet! There is only a week left until June.

Again, it was my understanding ATI released a new driver every single month...

We are May 23rd and the drivers haven't been released this month yet! There is only a week left until June.

Maybe they're working hard on our fix rofl.gif

Ati's driver update could have been delayed for a number of reasons like staff holidays, multiple minor releases being combined etc... We are just going to have to wait and see.

This handle leak could be a serious problem for them to solve, alternativley the problem could have already been solved and is passing through Q & A before being included in the next expected release.

who knows...

Maybe they're working hard on our fix rofl.gif

LoL, yeah.. i bet they are..hihi

They better be! nener.gif

edit: maybe they are going to release a beta test of the drivers.. goodnight.gif

I'm at a loss to understand why people expect to get high frame rates with single GPU's.....

I run ArmA on an overclocked dual ATI 1900xtx crossfire rig (both 512mb cards) with an AMD Athlon 3800+ also OC'd by 10% (to 2.2Ghz) and a top end ASUS Mobo with PEG Link mode set to 'fastest' in BIOS (runs the PCI-E bus at up to 35% greater throughput rate) and I still only get 30FPS average whilst running most settings on low!!!!!

Compare this to say, CoD2 where I can run everything maxed (including AA and AF) and get over 200FPS and doesn't it begin to tell you something....?

I'm sorry to say, but unless people start to seriously upgrade their rigs and begin putting both high end CPU and multiple GPU's into them, we're all stuck with low FPS rates, cos I'm damn sure no ATI or Nvidia gfx driver tweaks are gonna do it.... sad_o.gif

so are you saying the problem is the engine it self?