Sign in to follow this  
Paco454

Artillery in Arma, how to use?

Wasn't the AI\Player supposed to be able call in Artillery in Arma? If so, how do you call a strike in during the game. What keys do use?

I know Artillery will require to be added to a custom map as a static object, in which I can an AI "assignasgunner" command. The AI will use the gun.

I just want tknow how to target in game if that's even possible and what keys to use. Any help would be great.

THX

PACO454

Yup, those cannons are pretty much useless as is it would seem. Either im doing something wrong or those things have less AT power than a single RPG round. crazy_o.gif

Nothing wrong: try to kill a tank with the HEAT round of another tank! You will need a lot of shots! wink_o.gif

The Russian and the US cannons shoot with HEAT rounds…

This is just another bug of ArmA…

In reality the HEAT is as good as SABOT (against an old T-72).

The sabot penetrates the armor and makes the ammo and fuel detonate, the HEAT explodes outside and sends a wave through the armor. This detonation wave makes everything fly around in the tank and kills the crew.

If some of you want to use artillery – look for an old OPF artillery script. The BIS really love old things – they have less work this way.

Nothing wrong: try to kill a tank with the HEAT round of another tank! You will need a lot of shots! wink_o.gif

Id still hazard a guess that one round should be sufficent to kill a regular-ass BMP though.. tounge2.gif

Yup the HEAT rounds have kill capabilities for any armoured vehicle up to the T72, since it does not use reactive armour. As far as I know that was introduced in the T-80.

Here's an overview of the 105mm ammunitions used by US howitzers and artillery pieces.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/105.htm

And a table of the firing ranges of the 105mm various ammunitions.

tab10-2.gif

And here's a list of all other calibers used by about any ballistic gun system.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/ammo.htm

Cheers,

Can someone report bug in the wiki ?

To speak about the bad collision hit Big Rock have?

You know you shoot and your bullet it a invisible wall of the rock.

Quote[/b] ]Wasn't the AI\Player supposed to be able call in Artillery in Arma?

Just came to my mind, maybe you were thinking of the 2 videos we were shown prior Morphicon release.

Both, the airstrike and the artillery assault were scripted. They are not part of the Armed Assault release. I´d like to see GameLogics added that simplify all those but right now Arma has none embedded.

Quote[/b] ]Just came to my mind, maybe you were thinking of the 2 videos we were shown prior Morphicon release.

Both, the airstrike and the artillery assault were scripted.

I was sure I heard something in one of the many interviews, about indirect fire. But it could have just been general chit chat.

That's a shame as swear I read about artillery in Arma. If the average user, like me, can't just use it out of the box then why not include a demo mission so you can at least try it sad_o.gif

Mr Murray produced a movie and an example mission in German for artillery. A demo mission is available here. some other downloads here

I've been having a play around with Arma's artillery. It has a max range of about 4000m and it will only engage targets within 1000m.

The good news though, the timetolive restriction looks as though it's been lifted. With the correct config settings you can lob shells well over 7000 meters.

Yup the HEAT rounds have kill capabilities for any armoured vehicle up to the T72, since it does not use reactive armour. As far as I know that was introduced in the T-80.

Here's an overview of the 105mm ammunitions used by US howitzers and artillery pieces.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/105.htm

And a table of the firing ranges of the 105mm various ammunitions.

[...table snipped...]

There are no HEAT rounds in that table you posted.

HE is not the same as HEAT.

The static "artillary" seems to be a bit underpowered. Took me 8 shots to kill a T-72 at close range.

As far as an indirect fire weapon it seems useless in the hands of ai. They won't fire until up close and personal. With the long reloading time they don't stand a chance against an approaching tank. Since there is no elevation reference in the targeting scope...using a spoter is still an exercise in "guesstimation."

Strange...I was able to disable the tank and kill the crew in just a few shots, but then had to fire at least a half dozen more to get the tank to blow up.

Ah no worries, some mod maker will just finish it and make it work icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]As far as an indirect fire weapon it seems useless in the hands of ai. They won't fire until up close and personal.

I´m, checking if my old FDF approach will work with arma unscripted. This way AI was able to actually shoot about 1 km with artillery on targets they had no visual on. It worked pretty well to the surprise of poor coop players tounge2.gif

LOL. 105 mm artillery shouldn't penetrate tank armour. Artillery cannons don't fire HEAT rounds. What are they hoping to penetrate? The ground? icon_rolleyes.gif

I fat lot of good a stream of molten copper would do on the street/ in the mud. Artillery fires a lot of different shells, but I don't think HEAT is a common one.

Ok I have tested artillery with forward observer. It works pretty well and artillery engages targets that are 1.5 to 2km away.

It´s unscripted. I will upload a template this evening if anyone wants to have it.

It´s basically very easy to set up. Place empty d30 artillery on a hilllike structure, place a game logic there. Setpos the artillery to the gamelogic, moveingunner one soldier, moveincargo the other ones.

Now create a third unit, remove all it´s weapons and add a binocular, have the unit select the binocs and put it´s skill up high. Move the unit to the region you want to control, far away from the artillery.

Disable AI move on the unit.

Now increase it´s rank and group the other 2 soldiers to the spotter. The unit will report enemies and assign targets for the artillery. The artillery will engage.

Compared to FDF the artillery sounds are misssing, so there is no sound of incoming shells. Something that could be fixed by BIS if they want to.

Else it works just as it is supposed to.

With this easy method you can have unscripted artillery that detects enemies on long ranges and engages them. I always liked this method as it is more realistic than scripted artillery. You take out the spotter and the artillery is blind smile_o.gif

LOL.  105 mm artillery shouldn't penetrate tank armour.  Artillery cannons don't fire HEAT rounds.  What are they hoping to penetrate?  The ground?   icon_rolleyes.gif

I fat lot of good a stream of molten copper would do on the street/ in the mud.  Artillery fires a lot of different shells, but I don't think HEAT is a common one.

Well I guess your partly right.  The M119A1 105mm Lightweight Towed Howitzer is not designed to be a tank killer.  Most rounds are HE/Framgmentation and anti-personel (primarily used against personnel and materiel targets).  

However your way off on the "molten copper" thing.  Cluster bombs do use an explosive shaped charge (a formed molten copper jet slug) as the primary antiarmor weapon.  These can be the of the type dropped by aircraft or delivered by surface artillery or rockets (including155mm and 203mm artillery projectiles and Multiple-Launch Rocket System rockets)

Spend a few mins searching on google and you can learn alot.

anyway...........

Thank You Balschiow!  Your post was great!  Your instructions were most helpful.  I will go and give that a try immediately!

Thanks again for the assist! wink_o.gifnotworthy.gif

Ok I have tested artillery with forward observer. It works pretty well and artillery engages targets that are 1.5 to 2km away.

It´s unscripted. I will upload a template this evening if anyone wants to have it.

It´s basically very easy to set up. Place empty d30 artillery on a hilllike  structure, place a game logic there. Setpos the artillery to the gamelogic, moveingunner one soldier, moveincargo the other ones.

Now create a third unit, remove all it´s weapons and add a binocular, have the unit select the binocs and put it´s skill up high. Move the unit to the region you want to control, far away from the artillery.

Disable AI move on the unit.

Now increase it´s rank and group the other 2 soldiers to the spotter. The unit will report enemies and assign targets for the artillery. The artillery will engage.

Compared to FDF the artillery sounds are misssing, so there is no sound of incoming shells. Something that could be fixed by BIS if they want to.

Else it works just as it is supposed to.

With this easy method you can have unscripted artillery that detects enemies on long ranges and engages them. I always liked this method as it is more realistic than scripted artillery. You take out the spotter and the artillery is blind  smile_o.gif

Nice one m8,thx for the info...will check it out. smile_o.gif

As a former Marine Corps Artillery-man....I had high hopes for the arty factor of the game. Pretty dissapointing....

EDIT - Nice work Balschiow! I will have to give this a try.

a very very simple yet brilliant solution - amazed that it hadn't been thought of before.