Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Using shaders in ArmA

Here is the texture colour map:

M4_Part1.jpg

And here is the SMDI Specular Map:

M4_Part1_smdi.jpg

Yesterday i've looked in the MechaStalin's BMD-1 textures and when I opened his specular or normal textures in PhotoShop it asked for that Swizzling (wtf is that btw?) like original BIS textures. How can we do it that way? It would be great if he (or someone that knows lot about this) can share his knowledge with us.

Thx

Oh and one another question - do you guys using the color map (like that nice Jackals above) for creating normal map with nvidia filter or you create new grayscale texture and then you applies nvidia filter for creating bumps?

@Jackal why do use a color map? you just need a normal map and a greyscale specular map (to make the lights on your object).

Quote[/b] ]do you guys using the color map (like that nice Jackals above) for creating normal map with nvidia filter or you create new grayscale texture and

no and no, you can't use a simple greyscale texture to make a normal map. you need to draw with grey, black, white colors the details of your textures (bolts etc). then you can use the filter. a normal map must no have colors.

quick example:

bumpeo8.th.jpg

bumpmapdd8.th.jpg

pic1-- greyscale bump texture

pic2-- normal map (i use the nvidia filter)

smile_o.gif

Oh and one another question - do you guys using the color map (like that nice Jackals above) for creating normal map with nvidia filter or you create new grayscale texture and then you applies nvidia filter for creating bumps?

The nvidia tool converts bump maps to normal maps. A bump map is a map that provides height information in a colourless gradient. Black = Low and White = High. So, for best effect, you would redraw everything so that stuff gets lighter as it gets higher, then convert it to a normal map. The preferred method for normal map generation is to use a high poly model for normal information and apply it to a low poly model.

There are tuts out there that tell you all about how the 3 colour channels work for a normal map and how to effectively edit them, but I can't seem to find them again. If you want to edit a normal map by hand, you'll have to look around a bit!

Quote[/b] ]The preferred method for normal map generation is to use a high poly model for normal information and apply it to a low poly model.

no, the two methods are great, because each can be use use for different things.

example: the high polys method is excellent to create a character, but if you need only bolts on a hull, the bump map method is the easy way. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The preferred method for normal map generation is to use a high poly model for normal information and apply it to a low poly model.

no, the two methods are great, because each can be use use for different things.

example: the high polys method is excellent to create a character, but if you need only bolts on a hull, the bump map method is the easy way. smile_o.gif

True enough, however, given that the hull is probably a more complicated shape than the poly limit would allow for, I, personally, would still generate the high poly model. I would not model ever bolt and screw, though. For that, I would edit the map I generated later. That's just how I roll.