Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

Do you want the 'Psycho Slayer' in ArmA ?

I have wonderful news!

After two days, trying to find some nasty bug, i finally found it!

The ArmA Psycho Slayer is entering a new developing stage - a local MP testing.

I have the beautiful marker-driven template system working.

I have the npcs, generated automatically, strolling, wandering, and traveling.

I have the spying map markers, tracking the civilians and cops (as usual - when you get into any cop vehicle, you will see all cops on the map. The civilians are visible on map only for the killer players)

So now i need to make some respawn scripts, the scoring system (that will be tha last thing), and... that's the basics, we'll se what to add after that.

Great !

Have you solved that problem with stupid AI walking in a middle of a road ?

Will this work with the demo? Some of my friends don't have Arma yet and we'd love to play this.

Great !

No, i haven't solved it. I am afraid this is hardcoded in the engine's pathfinding routine.

I added a condition with random value, which will significantly limit the number of npcs traveling on foot.

Will this work with the demo? Some of my friends don't have Arma yet and we'd love to play this.

I am not sure, but i think it should work (or there shouldn't be a problem to make version working with the demo).

1. i am not sure, whether the demo will allow to play any user created missions, and use any user created addons (the mission will need an addon with special vehicles - for the radio to work).

2. i am not sure whether we are even allowed to create missions to be run on the demo version.

3. if paragraph 1 and 2 are possible/allowed, then the only thing it would need is to change some units and vehicles in the mission, because i doubt the demo contains all 21 types of civilians and ## number of vehicles i am using in the normal version. But that is not a problem - just replace few strings in the mission.sqm file and in my addon config, and that is all.

But i really doubt the demo version would allow ANY user created content.

Hey 5133p39,thx for your hard work so far.Wish you a great new Year,and good working Psycho Slayer Map.I´ll host this on my really fat Dedi-Server.

pistols.gif

Great !

No, i haven't solved it. I am afraid this is hardcoded in the engine's pathfinding routine.

I added a condition with random value, which will significantly limit the number of npcs traveling on foot.

That's a pitty, but definately not your fault !

But anyway, I'm looking forward to play this map pistols.gif .

Ah, and what vehicles/cops/helis have you selected ?

Ah, and what vehicles/cops/helis have you selected ?

I choosed the closed and opened Landrover, and the royalists MH-6.

I haven't decided on the units yet - resp. it doesn't matter to me, it can be changed EASILY whenever anyone wants.

The playable units (killer or cops) are placed on map in the mission editor - it's easy to change them into anything else.

The civilian NPC units are generated automatically from an array of classnames available for this purpose (these class names are again defined through units preplaced in the editor, which are grouped together - on game init, the game will store classnames of each of the units into a special array, and then delete these units so they don't eat any resources).

So it is very easy to add/remove any classnames which you want to be or not to be available.

The classnames of the initially spawned random civilian cars are defined in similar way - again, no need to edit any scripts, you just delete/place the vehicles in the editor.

etc.

I think bad karma must be pursuing me.

I had another delay, another setback, another nasty bug.

For who knows how long i have been trying to figure out whats wrong with my AI wandering/traveling script, and finally i found out - there is nothing wrong with my script, it's just an AI bug, causing the AI to get stuck when you order him to DoMove to some coordinates which are (almost) inside a non-enterable building. The AI will get there (or it seems so), but will never complete/fail the move command and from that time the UnitReady will allways return false.

This is pretty bad thing, as i need the AI to randomly wander around and through the cities.

I hope this will get fixed in the next patch.

Ah, damn it !

Why it's always AI that causes so many problems.

First they were wandering in the middle of a road.

Then if they heard a single shot, they just lied down like an idiots instead of flee like in real life.

And now this ... confused_o.gif

I hope BI will relase some patch soon or you'll find a way arround that.

But don't give up !

You can make it ! wink_o.gif

BTW: How are the AI cars handling bridges ?

BTW: How are the AI cars handling bridges ?

Well, that's another story i forgot to tell :-)

The AI are often falling down the bridge - first they are going on the bridge ok, but then in the middle of the bridge they will make hard turn to the right/left and drive right through the rail on the side of the bridge!

..but that is not a major problem for me. I will make a script, which will be activated in the bridge area, and which will help them to drive over it (basically it will just stVelocity the vehicle over the bridge) :-)

Hehehe biggrin_o.gif .

I've enjoyed lot of fun with that too.

My AI driver just decided, that he might turn around, just in the middle of the bridge, repeatedly ramming into lamp, while trying to turn 360° and destroying his stupid car banghead.gif.

Hehehe biggrin_o.gif .

I've enjoyed lot of fun with that too.

My AI driver just decided, that he might turn around, just in the middle of the bridge, repeatedly ramming into lamp, while trying to turn 360° and destroying his stupid car banghead.gif.

yeah, these situations can make you either laugh or cry - in my case it's often the crying smile_o.gif

Just a minor update, i haven't had much time, but i made a workaround for the "AI DoMove & stuck" problem:

I run a script in 30s interval, which checks all units whether they are stuck, and if yes, it issues a combination of unit DisableAI "move", unit EnableAI "move", and unit DoMove somePos[/i], which will make the AI's UnitReady to return true again, so the strolling script can continue to controll them again.

Most of the time, the (disable/enable)AI isn't needed, but i found that sometimes it doesn't work without it - i hope there won't be any problem in MP with these two commands.

Yo,I am now 3 Weeks away.Im travelling to Candolim/Goa/India.Hope this Map is ready to rumble when I´m back.

Have a nice rainy Winter in Europe.....

yay.gif

Yo,I now 3 Weeks away.Im travelling to Candolim/Goa/India.Hope this Map is ready to rumble when I´m back.

Have a nice rainy Winter in Europe.....

yay.gif

I'll try smile_o.gif

I'm sorry, for these grave news, but here goes:

I am too busy so i can't spend much time working on the mission - or should i say "debugging" ArmA.

I will resume the work immediately when the game become more mature (patch 1.9 anyone? ;-) ).

Please, don't misunderstand me - i am not saying that the game is too bugged to be usable, nono, but there are SOME bugs and i don't have time to think and test all the solutions to circumvent them.

So, see you in the line waiting for another patch.

Hey I´m back from India now.

No Problem;

sometimes it is more important to spent time in real-life, not in computer games.

whistle.gif

Just a little "update" on the current situation:

In the patch 1.05 the "AI doMove & stuck" bug still isn't fixed, so i am still waiting, development still on hold.

Just a little "update" on the current situation:

In the patch 1.05 the "AI doMove & stuck" bug still isn't fixed, so i am still waiting, development still on hold.

Oh No! confused_o.gif

Please release a unfinished beta version of the Mission smile_o.gif so we can play and have fun... smile_o.gif

Thx