Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Dedicated Server Beta available

@ Dec. 11 2006,22:40)]Hi,
- All missions are locked, while server is running

(denying clients to update their missions via ftp)

although it is a shame that you can no longer overwrite/delete mission files whilst the dedicated server process is running, the main benefit seems to be that all the maps are checked when the server first starts and any corrupted files are flagged on the console.

NB. The server process fails to start if bad mission files are present at startup time.

This is actually a big help as the server admin can be reasonably sure that the newly uploaded mission files have not been corrupted during the file transfer process without having to manually load each map from the ArmA game client.

Just my 2ds worth

wombat

--

[LOL] "Send in the clowns..."

http://www.nakedsquid..com

Thanks for the feedback,

I think its a loss.

In our clan we have many mission builders, but only one server admin, that can controle the hardware.

This means that we will be pounding the poor man every time we have a update.

- Local server and dedi server are so different, that it is not possible to test missions local and be sure that they will work on a dedi server

-The phrase "alright everybody, we are conna close the server for 5 minutes" will be used often and therefore hated by the members.

Solutions:

[*]If mission builders need to test on a live server, let them upload their missions as: Missionname (test1)   .. test2... test3... etc. etc. and only upload them as test until it's final. Then when the server admin has time, he can remove the files if needed... based on communication he got from the editor etc..

[*]Why do ppl need to test the mission on a live server instead of on their own test server? (Especially for dualcore ppl, but also doable for non dualcores...) Run an own dedserver next to your client game, either with arma.exe -server or get the arma_server.exe

[*]Get a management application that can (re)start processes/services through a web-interface, passworded. Hand this out to the mission designers, if they really have to test on the server, and if they really have to be able to stop/start it.

[*]Combine the above last 2 possibilities, but don't run it on a live ded server, but a test ded server, hosted by the live server owner, or someone else who just got spare processing power, if the mission makers can't run deddy's on their own...

Differences between the local and deddy server are I think pretty much the same as with OFP, just things you need to consider in MP deddyserver games... Altough the AI seems to be a tad stupid at the moment, and then there is of coarse the problem with tanks/vehicles  with the leader being the gunner or commander --> He gotto be driver at this moment in time, when ran on a deddy.

I've manage dedicated server too. Looks that everything is ok, server is stable. Very annoying this is the chat field located BEHIND chat strings, and hardly see that I type.

What am I doing wrong????Tried to install, get the error message" No entry'. profile path default'." click ok an then it acts like it wants to run like it does when the lil boxes appear when ArmA starts, then I get error message report info prompt for microsoft reporting. Have no clue.

Hi,

I've got a problem where the server drops of the server list after the server is busy for a period of time.

Only fix I've found is to restart the server.

Here is my config file:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">passwordAdmin = foobar;

hostname = "Whatever";

voteThreshold=0.3;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

reportingIP=207.38.11.34;

This happens with and without the reportingIP specified. I've noticed this happens more with user made maps.

Any Ideas?

Hi,

I've got a problem where the server drops of the server list after the server is busy for a period of time.

Only fix I've found is to restart the server.

Here is my config file:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">passwordAdmin = foobar;

hostname = "Whatever";

voteThreshold=0.3;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

reportingIP=207.38.11.34;

This happens with and without the reportingIP specified. I've noticed this happens more with user made maps.

Any Ideas?

reportingIP=master.gamespy.com;

BTW, can you have more than one reporting master server? If so, what would be the syntax?

reportingIP=master.gamespy.com;

Problem is master.gamespy.com resolves to 207.38.11.34 so that wont make any difference.

Sorry if I have some trivial or maybe stupid questions which are the following but I'm a bit novice with this sever configuration :

1) I cannot see by dedicated server displayed on this web page which show all online web page that I found on this forum :

http://stats.swec.se:3001/server/list

2) I don't know really the meaning of the ReportingIP= statement present in my Server.cfg file. What is its purpose exactly ?

- I have however noticed that ReportingIP="" allow the display in both of the LAN and Internet screen within the Multiplayer screen of the game

- while setuping ReportingIP=207.38.11.34 (or my own IP adress) will allow my dedicated server to be display in the LAN one only.

3) I know that it's not very efficient to setup a dedicated server on the same PC that the one that I use for playing, but it was for testing. However, I wanted to know if thanks the shortcut (Arma.exe -config=Server.cfg -port=2302) if I could have any issue with my Game registration Key (even if I know that the ArmA_Server.exe doesn't need any DVD) ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Quote[/b] ]Lets assume you login and run your ArmA server on Administrator***

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\

2. Create a directory call "ArmA"

3. Copy your *.ArmAProfile" from your client [where you have set the Cadet/Veteran" settings].

4. Rename this file as Administrator.ArmAProfile

Now, if you are just double clicking on the new server file all should be good. If you are using Fire Daemon [like I am] be sure to setup the service to run the Dedicated Server as "Administrator". Fire Daemon by default uses "Local System" as the rights, which when ran in this mode will never see a *.ArmAProfile.

Hope that helps!

*** If you do not run in as adminstrator, just use the proper login name to find the right C:\Documents and Settings\ area and the proper name for the *.ArmAProfile file.

Note, if you login has spaces the login name, the profile name has to be formated like this: I%20Have%20Spaces%20.ArmAProfile = C:\Documents and Settings\I Have Spaces\

have tried all of this nothing works

i need some help with this, i tried PMing placebo and all i got back was

Quote[/b] ]I know nothing of the deddy

RN Escobar

Whats you problem, mate? Cant find config files on dedicated server? Try to run "arma.exe -server" option, it should create those files. After that you can find them in c:\documents&settings\username\My Documents\Arma. After that you can edit them as you wish.

Dark Soldier

Great work! Where you get "-profiles" & "-user" command line arguments? Its undocumented, afaik. And arguments -netlog -log seems doesnt working with arma. How can I log all events?

Great work! Where you get "-profiles" & "-user" command line arguments? Its undocumented, afaik. And arguments -netlog -log seems doesnt working with arma. How can I log all events?

The -profiles option is listed here. I think some of these options need to be moved (or at least added) to the dedicated server part.

The -user is listed here as -name though. I haven't tried if either or both work.

I haven't gotten any results with -log or -netlog either, so far.

The -user is listed here as -name though. I haven't tried if either or both work.

There is no -user=XXX, only -name=XXX.

Dear Suma, how to enable logging?

I am not aware of any way which would work in the recent build, -netlog is not supported.

RN Escobar,

I knew nothing about deddy server until a few days ago, well still do not know much.

Have you confirmed your Windows login? Have you confirmed that your *.profile is in the proper place in /My Documents/Armed on that login?

I know this works, since this is how I was disable cross-hairs - which is set in this file for both the deddy server and the client. However, for it to work the *.profile file MUST be in the proper place in \My Documents\ and the server MUST be running under that login name.

Perhaps a picture would help, click to see larger version.

pre_arma_sever.jpg

Suma,

Is it possible for ArmA Server to report to two game browser servers? If so, what is the proper syntax and if not can I request this?

The reason why I ask is that Qtracker has it's own server to list game servers. While Qtracker polls gamespy it can be a bit behind - since it has to poll gamespy. If ArmA Server could report to two browser server at the same time, Qtracker would show current ArmA Servers faster.

Thanks for your time

big thanks to odie3 and everyone else that has put some input into this

the server is running firedemon and i couldn't get anything to work

after running the -server command line and installing a few DX9 DLL i finally got the server running in console mode which did make a few new folders and then i could edit the profile to get the required results.

now i just got to work out out to get it back into firedemon running how i want it to work.

although if -netlog isn't working, i might actually leave it running in console and manually copy across the log from console mode.

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED

big thanks to odie3 and everyone else that has put some input into this

the server is running firedemon and i couldn't get anything to work

after running the -server command line and installing a few DX9 DLL i finally got the server running in console mode which did make a few new folders and then i could edit the profile to get the required results.

now i just got to work out out to get it back into firedemon running how i want it to work.

although if -netlog isn't working, i might actually leave it running in console and manually copy across the log from console mode.

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED

Okay, FireDaemon - then you had the same issue I did, I am sure of it. By Default when you install a new FD service it will use "Local System". You have to tell FD to use the proper login [as stated before].

Here is a screen shot to help you. Oh, see my other post above to see how to set up the switches - of course I now know that - netlog does not work, so do not use that one. wink_o.gif

fd_arma1.jpg

fd_arma.jpg

Dear Suma, how to enable logging?

Hi Silverr,

we had to patch the old OFP dedicated server executable to implement logging under MS-Windows; I hope that we don't have to do it that way again...

wombat

--

[LOL] "Send in the clowns..."

http://www.nakedsquid..com

[Gr8! just need it in english now lol

How to run the Armed Assault Dedicated Beta Server on a linux server:

1. Install VMWare on the server (a free version is sufficient, e.g. the vmplayer). VMWare site

2. Download VMWare Converter

3. If possible, grab an old PC on which only a bare OS will be installed

4. Copy installed ArmA directory to this 'bare' PC

5. Configure the ArmA server configuration files

6. Install the VMWare Converter on this PC and create an image

7. Upload the image to the server (could take a while, because of the image size of several GB)

8. Install XVNC on the server

9. Remove xterm, KDE etc. from XStart

10. Add the call to VMWare to XStart

11. Start vncserver on the server

12. Connect to the server with a VNC client and check everything (recommendation to download UltraVNC)

With thanks to the people from GBE, that got this to run first

Starting the ArmA Windows dedicated server under linux (with wine) is currently not possible, because it's blocked by SecuROM copy protection!

If you don't have an option to install Windows on a PC first, there is an alternative:

Currently there's a virtual machine from Microsoft with integrated IE 7 which is valid through April 2007. Download and referral to needed programs (in German).

This virtual machine can be converted with VMWare Converter and then used on your server.

Translated verbatim from instructions by Scorpion.

wink_o.gif

If people can give us some data feedback that would be very useful, cpu load, mem usage, numbers of people etc. etc.

Name: ArmAInteractive Server #1

IP: 64.34.162.111

Port: 2302

Server Type:

Dual AMD Opteron 265 (Dual Core) Processors(4 CPUs)

2GB PC3200 Registered ECC Memory

100Mbit dedicated port

Server Load:

Map: 06: Seize the Base (Coop 20)

# of conneections: 15

Island: Sara

Wed Dec 13 17:57:54 +0100 2006

Mem FP Usage: 112,544K

CPU (1): 25%

Networking 2.5% of 100mbps

We plan on loading this beast up within the next couple days, i will report more then.