OpticsZoom vs. DistanceZoom

Does anyone know what is the difference between:

opticsZoomMin

opticsZoomMax

and

distanceZoomMin

distanceZoomMax

?

I think the first values determine minimum and maximum magnification of a scope and the second values determine zeroing distances for those zoom values. So zooming also affects the scope's elevation to compensate for bullet drop.

I think the first values determine minimum and maximum magnification of a scope and the second values determine zeroing distances for those zoom values. So zooming also affects the scope's elevation to compensate for bullet drop.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have been experimenting with these values, trying to figure out what they do. It seems adjusting the distanceZoom-entry does nothing (nothing noticeable). It is the opticsZoom that makes the difference as far as observable zooming is concerned. It also seems all weapons have an opticsZoom-entry -- even weapons without a scope.

According to jester's "cfg.cpp commands" found at OFPEC.com, these entries are self-explanatory.

Well, they are confusing to me... sad_o.gif

What is the value anyway? I need to know which value is equal to true 4x and 10x magnification. Somehow the SPR and the SVD use different values but still have the same FOV?

From the original OFP, so will need some testing in ArmA (don't have it yet).

Quote[/b] ]From my investigation into the values I derived this formula.

In the opticszoom section:

scopevalue=0.7*magnification value^-1

Note: "min" = higher magnification level, "max" is lowest magnification level.

The distancezoom figures you need to change to by trial and error to zero the weapon properly.

Note, in OFP the default magnification level was 2x

SelectThis

Can anyone confirm this?

Well that is how the M21 works in OFP, the more zoom you use the higher the bullet hits at the same range which works good for judging longer range shots.

opticsZoomMin = 0.035;

opticsZoomMax = 0.035;

distanceZoomMin = 300;

distanceZoomMax = 300;

So this should be 10x scope with your formula and zero range of 300 meters?

But if I understood the formula right, 10x power should have a value of 0.07, which is less zoom than 0.035. (0.001 is a big zoom with stretched vision, not proportional).

And I may add some really ugly scope behaviour. The sway is not smooth at all. At high zoom levels it is like the scope is instantly jumping around, not moving slowly from one point to another. That's why aiming is that hard.

How to change that behaviour? I'd like to remove the random sway for testing.

Mag X value to enter

1 0.700

2 0.350

3 0.233

4 0.175

5 0.140

6 0.117

7 0.100

8 0.088

9 0.078

10 0.070

11 0.064

12 0.058

13 0.054

14 0.050

15 0.047

16 0.044

17 0.041

18 0.039

19 0.037

20 0.035

re: distanceZoom, my experience in OFP was that the value that you put in did not necessarily match the "zeroed" distance of the weapon. As mentioned above, the scope texture used would have an impact as well.

STT

This is insane. Why should BIS use a 20x power scope on the M24 and write in the text about the M3A 10x scope?

The reticle is useless after all with that basic mistake.

This is insane. Why should BIS use a 20x power scope on the M24 and write in the text about the M3A 10x scope?

The reticle is useless after all with that basic mistake.

It was the M21 in OFP, not the M24.

Well the distancezoom is equal the zero range in meters.

The M3A MilDot reticle for the M24 (in-game) only works with 0.035 as opticalzoom value the way it should.

Testing range estimation via MilDot.