Sign in to follow this  
Jambo107

Turning off HDR/PP

So you get to turn the grass off to see all the players that are using it for cover. Times have moved on from the ofp cheaters.

Also since Suma wrote here does this mean we cannot look forwards to anymore performance tweaks.

It is more like you can also see them while prone as opposed to have an obstructed view while the enemy perfectly sees you when he's crouched/standing/not laying in grass.

What Suma says is that there is no mojo magic hidden switch that boosts performance. It does not mean that they will not keep optimizing the code if they see an opportunity to do so. Who knows, this might also turn into additional config switches...

Bis put grass in the game to improve the look of the game, now people moan and want it to go back to the old looking crap that OFP is now. What next? maybe remove most of the buildings then it could really look like ofp again.

Bis put grass in the game to improve the look of the game, now people moan and want it to go back to the old looking crap that OFP is now. What next? maybe remove most of the buildings then it could really look like ofp again.

Well to my mind the complaint is more about the fact that currently the grass serves no use at all because it doesn't hide you from a distance, so what use is it beyond harming performance?

Which I think is a pretty valid complaint.

Well to my mind the complaint is more about the fact that currently the grass serves no use at all because it doesn't hide you from a distance, so what use is it beyond harming performance?

Ok see where your comming from now, so how come somthing like this could be over looked by BIS. I thought i was actually concealed when i was in the grass, but i havn't been working on the game aslong as BIS have to notice this. Also now you see it as a problem does that mean we are of to have the option to switch grass off, wich btw i think is pretty crap. But ok if there is nothing else that is going to increase FPS. Why not get rid of the Grass and bring in some cornfields, Corn is alot higher and you wouldn't have to spread it all over the map.

Well is there any way to turn post effects and HDRI off completely? Every other game Ive played gave users the option to turn these GPU hogging features off.

Also since you coded arma can you give us any performance tweaks that you know of? It would be greatly appreciated.

If I would know any magic performance improvement, it would be included straight in the game.

As for turning off HDR completely, this is not possible in ArmA, because the lighting levels really use the high dynamic range (the reason is the same why you cannot have one universal setting for the camera aperture in real life).

Thanks for getting back to me and explaining this, I understand now. biggrin_o.gif

Ok see where your comming from now, so how come somthing like this could be over looked by BIS.

It wasn't overlooked, it was/is simply something that's work in progress, to find a way that the grass provides concealment without compromising gameplay, without compromising performance etc. etc.

1 way of emulating grass at distances could be to spawn invisible grass in a very short radius around players but acts like the windows in the game in that it blocks out players but not the terrain. Obviously you don't want to block out the player completely so only those areas covered by the grass are blocked out. You then need a zoom:distance ratio that removes grass from around the local player and spawns it in the distance where you are looking so zooming in on a player doesn't look really dodgy

Thats just 1 suggestion, theres obviously a lot more experimentation to be done

Shorter grass that doesnt obstruct the view of a prone unit would be the better solution i guess, i like what was shown of it and how it makes the ground look better, removing it would make no sense though i havent tried Arma yet.

If BIS would cut down every grphical enhancement to improve performance they might aswell remove everything and put OPF models and textures back in, low resolution textures and low poly models would really make it run better in less powerfull systems icon_rolleyes.gif .

If the HDR/PP isnt working very well improving it would be better than removing it, the ability to disable it sounds like a cheat to me.

I belive if you are going to keep the grass the only fair way would be below.

1: You see the player as clear as he sees you in the grass. Or the grass conceals you and he sees as much of you as you do of him.

I paid money for this.

I belive if you are going to keep the grass the only fair way would be below.

1: You see the player as clear as he sees you in the grass. Or the grass conceals you and he sees as much of you as you do of him.

I paid money for this.

It's not that easy man, it's hard to find a good solution that won't kill performance. Just because you paid money for it doesn't mean they have to be able to solve a problem that many games suffer from. And that's not exactly a good attitude, BIS doesn't have to meet your standards just because you paid money for it.

Give me an option to turn off the grass - it killed my performance in oblivion, and its killing my performance here.

hi !

i am an owner of a geforce 7900gtx video card. it makes me wonder that arma seems to be the ONLY game that provides both hdr and anti aliasing simultaneously for my videocard . in other new games ( splinter cell double agent, rainbow six vegas and gothic 3 for example it is not possible to turn on both at the same time, hdr and aa.

that brings me to the question : is it really hdr that arma is using or is it some other sort of "hdr emulation" ?

Give me an option to turn off the grass - it killed my performance in oblivion, and its killing my performance here.

haha nuub rofl.gif

oblivion grass tweak V2 + low poly grass = smooth game on 6800GT

haha nuub rofl.gif

Such comments are not necessary and are tantamount to flamebaiting.

Well, I don't know much about programming so I'm not sure if this is implementable, but I'm hoping BIS will add the following set of options in the upcoming patch(es).

1) All grass on-Just like it is now, both short and long.

2) Long grass only-You get a fps hit in long grass, but at least it provides concealment, esp in MP. Short grass rendering is disabled.

3) All grass off-Exactly what it says. For those who prefer performance over graphics or just want smoother gameplay. Might be useful for those with slower machines.

These options could be server enforced in MP.

2) Long grass only-You get a fps hit in long grass, but at least it provides concealment, esp in MP. Short grass rendering is disabled.

Like said before (u didnt read the thread, did you?), grass is only rendered around ownplayer position

A possible solution could be to make models semi transparent (or change color) when they go prone on grass textures... (dunno if the engine checks what texture ur on)