Sign in to follow this  
DieAngel

why trackIR and nothing else??

as a z800 3D user i would love a native support of the z800 head mounted display head tracking.

there is an sdk available from 3Dvisor.com

i am sure its a matter of 20 minutes of coding max to add it aside of the trackIR support

yes please. this would be awesome.

Or maybe just get that code of David and implement it smile_o.gif

Tracker IR was incorporated into ArmA.. because Tracker IR went out of there way and asked BIS to include the TIR support in the game.. thats the only reason.. so if other companies wern't such tight ass's and tryed to sell there products to games developer.. who knows what other support would of been included biggrin_o.gif

They (or someone else) could just write a TrackIR emulator for the device and it would propably work with all TIR games... That is assuming the head tracker in it works in similar ways as TrackIR's.

Or all these head tracking things could just present themselves as DirectInput controllers instead of each using their own propiertary API's. Would be much easier for both the developers and users, but of course the makers of the devices want to present their own API to lock people to their devices only.

but i am doing the move lol and i am sure every owner of this hmd would be with me (if they like they like ArmA OFP of course) .

I am currently playing trough a joystick emulation driver that map the pitch yaw and roll from the hmd to the X , Y Z joystick axis, i also have a combo key to reset the tracking in case of drifting.

the z800 support full 6DOF like trackIR, maybe not as precisely but it react quite fast.

Problem with joystick emulation is that it hasn't a really "good" resolution (it move by little steps wich is very annoying when playing)

The device support mouse emulation in native but we all know how "useless" is head to mouse emulation...

I am gonna get the SDK from eMagin, you can contact me if you want it.

I heard that the trackIR guys are a bit anal with sharing their SDK so i don't think i could write a z800 to trackIR converter...

They (or someone else) could just write a TrackIR emulator for the device and it would propably work with all TIR games... That is assuming the head tracker in it works in similar ways as TrackIR's.

Or all these head tracking things could just present themselves as DirectInput controllers instead of each using their own propiertary API's. Would be much easier for both the developers and users, but of course the makers of the devices want to present their own API to lock people to their devices only.

Would be nice if someone wrote a TrackIR emulator for a webcam. I know there is some software to move your head as a mouse, but that's no good for ArmA. Or atleast joystick emulation. Would be cool and much cheaper. The price for TrackIR is just a ripoff IMO.

i can tell you from experience that headtracking to joystick really SUCK, i use it in ArmA it gives me terrible headache, the resolution of analog joystick is very poor ... or it's implementation in ArmA

one of these or both.

I heard that the trackIR guys are a bit anal with sharing their SDK so i don't think i could write a z800 to trackIR converter...

Yeah you need to sign an NDA-like contract before they give it to you which is pretty stupid... But the tracking interface is really simple and easy to "reverse engineer".

thing is , maybe i could take both sdk and make some sort of cake of interfacing between z800 and trackIR, but i am not really good at reverse engineering stuffs

The Z800 is also not a head tracker but a mounted display that cost you some good 800$. Writing a TIR emulator wouldn't do any justice to the 3D visor.

actually its 550 now, but it has an integrated head tracking element, wich as i said i have to pass trough a joystick emulator to use it in ArmA (wich isn't that good)

Tracker IR was incorporated into ArmA.. because Tracker IR went out of there way and asked BIS to include the TIR support in the game.. thats the only reason.. so if other companies wern't such tight ass's and tryed to sell there products to games developer.. who knows what other support would of been included biggrin_o.gif

Precisely.

If companies want their crap supported in our game they know how to find us wink_o.gif

And as there's an existing TrackIR thread I don't think we need a why trackIR only thread smile_o.gif