Sign in to follow this  
dkraver

BIS comment on Independence Lost

Any from BIS wanna make a coment on what we are looking at confused.gif

New game

Addon pack

something else

??

Well we can obviously see that there are new addons. I assume that we're talking about a new campaign and possibly some new SP and MP missions that make use of these.

More speculation: will there be a new island or islands? I'll guess the answer is yes, as Everon, Kolgujev and Malden are already occupied by NATO and the russians. East Timor is tropical, so we can expect new folliage and buildings.

Similarly, we've got to be talking about new uniforms. Hmmmm..... remember those Aussies in VBS1's pics? Maybe.

Peacekeepers and Indonesians mean new voices, too.

This is sounding good. BIS, how about a landscape, town and soldiers pic or 2?

Now for the biggest speculation: Will this be sold as Red Hammer, i.e., an optional enhancement that works with OFP V1.30 and above, or is this OFP 2, a newer overhauled version of OFP, with Independence Lost being the new campaign introduced by it?

If the latter, what else will OFP 2 have in store for us, as far as new coding, MP, game options, graphics, etc.??

I love speculations! tounge.gif

Well i would guess its gonna be like an addon pack with new maps and new units with the old units wiht new camo and better tectures.

Sure like to know what it is. It looks great, but it has much to littel differences from the original OFP to be a sequal. Why should they work 4 years (orso?) on OFP, en release OFP2 within 1 year after that. Doesn't seem logically to me. It's probally an addon, since there's no VBS logo's to be seen on the site (but then again, no OFP logo's too).

Well, time will tell.

Nothing wrong with releasing sequel 1 year after original

look at the Serious Sam

they released SS2 6 months after first one

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Jan. 29 2002,14:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nothing wrong with releasing sequel 1 year after original

look at the Serious Sam

they released SS2 6 months after first one<span id='postcolor'>

True, but the development of Operation Flashpoint is known to have costed many years of work on both the larger gameplay as the smaller details. I'm not saying it would be entirely wrong if they release OFP2 after les than one year, I'm just saying it's unlikely

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sure like to know what it is. It looks great, but it has much to littel differences from the original OFP to be a sequal. Why should they work 4 years (orso?) on OFP, en release OFP2 within 1 year after that. Doesn't seem logically to me. It's probally an addon, since there's no VBS logo's to be seen on the site (but then again, no OFP logo's too).

Well, time will tell.<span id='postcolor'>

Do you think it's ready yet? Not even the website is done, so dah... tounge.gif

It wont be released yet, though I don't think it's OFP 2, it's probably the June addon, like Antichrist said.

The danish gaming site has its speculations on it:

http://www.dailyrush.dk/stories/5959/

It says that it might be a totally new game..... a new chopper sim.

However, they are only speculating and i dont think thats the case.

I think its an addon, however.... a really large addon, that would probably cost more then red hammer.... say 15$ and 10$ for the downloaded version.

As you can see, theres an carrier on the pics, and unless its a stationary object (simply a highly detailed landscape), its an updated version of the OFP engine, because choppers cannot land on any other object atm.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Jan. 29 2002,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The danish gaming site has its speculations on it:

http://www.dailyrush.dk/stories/5959/

It says that it might be a totally new game..... a new chopper sim.<span id='postcolor'>

That's probably just because the screenshots on www.independencelost.com only contains choppers and ships. But I do, as you, think they're wrong.

There is another company working with BIS on the VBS project, right?  

What I'm curious to know is how much work they've done with the actual OFP engine (as in using higher-resolution textures, smoothing out the framerate, optimized net code or incorporating a more varied color palette).  If those changes are going to be incorporated into the game, I'll buy it whether it comes with new missions or not.  I'll just make my own.   biggrin.gif

As it is, it appears that there are some new units (wooohooo) and some new play mechanics.  Regardless, I'll buy this just because I love OFP so much I would buy it if someone pissed in a jar and called it "Operation Flashpoint Juice".    tounge.gif   I just love this game and have no quealms about giving BIS all the money they need to keep this whole thing going.

I don't care if IL will be an addon or a standalone. I'll buy it nomatter what.

Y'know why?

Because it's worth it ........geeeez I'm sounding like all those shampoo-commercials tounge.gif

I wonder if they will include the Gurkas becuase they went out there

Well i think its a what if scenario because the newspaper on the site says 2001.

If you look at the aircraft and the stuff its going to be included it looks like it will mostly likely be a Marine version of OFP. You can tell this cause the Marines are really the only ones with Super Cobras and Harrieers. As they also use hueys and are sea/land operaters.

Im rather confused about it. They have australian soldiers in the photo's, they say they marines are pulling out, then they show us screenshots of marine vehicles only..... i dont get it.

HHmmm...from looks of it, add-ons....but on the other hand, partial overhaul of OFP engine might be needed to run numerous choppers and a ship to land it upon...

would require big amount of computation, so efficient codes would be implemented....so more efficient OFP engine?

It would be great if we can move around and in the ship, also, rather than getting grilled on 100degree(fahrenhight) deck... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Jan. 30 2002,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im rather confused about it. They have australian soldiers in the photo's, they say they marines are pulling out, then they show us screenshots of marine vehicles only..... i dont get it.<span id='postcolor'>

How about this idea?

USMC pulling out of E.Timor due to instability in Gulf region that was ignited by terrorists in Afghanistan. But Austrailia was busy debating whether they should take over USMC's job at E Timor, when suddenly, rebels take on ETimor and threaten Austrailia?

Man leave BIS alone....they are not going to tell a bunch of people what they are working on.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wanna kill Australians....<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah.. whatever.

Anyway, what I think will happen is this: Australia was in control of the East Timor situation, but their resources were too stretched because of peacekeeping in Afghanistan and other places, so they pulled troops out of Timor. The Marines were then sent in to take over.

Not exactly realistic. In reality, it's the other way around: Australia is pulling troops out of Afghanistan so they can concentrate on East Timor. But anyway, it's only fiction in the end, so it doesn't matter. As long as it's a fun game, I don't mind.

I reckon its flashpoint 1.5 there is too much of a diference in the pics for it to be just a addon, and I wonder when we will see it, they say 2002 but that could be late december.

"...but it is not the datadisk we have already announced."

Marek said this much though, so it's not the June datadisk. That's good news