Sign in to follow this  
DieAngel

question about the Dragunov optics

it's me or the bullet isn't falling down properly for the dragunov (if it even fall), and/or that the PSO style optics aren't adjusted properly, is the rangefinder / drop chevrons just decorative?

normally you use the rangefinder to estimate the distance between you and the target and then you use the apropriate chevron based on the distance.

i dont know know any fps in which the optics reflect the actual ballistics nor the behaviour of the real weapon .... so huh.gif

The obviously you have never tried OFP... icon_rolleyes.gif

i dont know know any fps in which the optics reflect the actual ballistics nor the behaviour of the real weapon .... so huh.gif

Well then you don't use a pso style optic just to make it pretty -_-

It's deceiving, for one time i thought my knowledge of this rifle might serve as a tactical advantage...

I wonder if the arma devs even plan to fix that or if it's the expected behavior...

That sounds quite strange as it was modeled perfectly in OFP. It was accurate to the pixel. However now..... I dunno...

- dRB

yeah its what i was reminding about it , i made myself a lil firing range to test, no drop of the bullet even when i can barely see my target.

According to this SVD manual the second "dash" is bullet drop point on 1100m. In OFP bullet drop of SVD was way too big (at 250m bullet was hitting second marking on the scope). I didn't find a good spot on Sahrani where i could see target at 1100m but i checked on 800m and bullet hit ground somewhere between first and second marking (closer to second), so i think the ballistics of SVD in ArmA are good.

Quote from this manual:

Quote[/b] ]

"The sight angle scale represents a number of angle marks up to the range of 1300 m. When setting the sight angle knob scale at division 10, the peak of the second from the top angle mark will correspond to the range of 1100 m, the peak of the third angle mark to 1200 m, the peak of the forth angle mark to 1300 m."

PS. Sorry for my English smile_o.gif

IMO they have the scopes setup like my bench rifle.

I have my scope zeroed @ 200 yards, so when I aim at something closer I must aim low. I have seem the same for arma.

/my 2c

Why sorry? Your English is more readable (=better) than many people around here.

Hmmm, yeah, that does make sense... 7.62x54R packs more punch than the 7.62 NATO and is lethal to about 1,5 km or so (effective and fairly accurate), so at ranges at 800m and below it's really just a matter of the rifles basic accuracy (not one of SVD's strongpoints though) and the skills of the shooter.

Fine the way it is dropping I just wish I could adjust the sights like the Delta Force Series (Old Ones not arcady new one)

OK, I've finally find good place to test sniper rifles, and at 1100m bullets were hitting ground between second and third mark. But I and my target weren't on the same level (I was standing 70 meters above water while the target about 32m).

I wish we had good old Desert Island. It was excellent to test stuff like this smile_o.gif

this is weird, if i remember the dragunov rangefinder is marked for 1000 meters and each chevron is marked for 250 meters, yet if i fire on a target placed at about 900 meters, i still use the topmost chevron to hit ... weird...

there is an option arcade/realistic ballistic that i missed? O_o

This must be the BIS interpretation of those weapon ballistics given the compressed ranges that the ofp battles would be fought at. According to the SVD manual (which is by no means official) posted by papa-lenin, the current ballistics appear to be correct.

can someone confirm the drop distance for the dragunov? i mean the real one.

i don't get it then , the range finder is set for 1000 meters and the chevrons from 1000(top one) to 1300 meters(bottom one)

so basically once calculating the range get important you can't measure it?

Top one is 0m, second is 1100m, third 1200 and fourth 1300.

Bullet shot from such long barrel have very flat trajectory, they start to drop quickly after specific range (about 1km in SVD).

edit.

Sorry, I didn't understand you for the first time, now i get it smile_o.gif

It's not like the rangefinder is not important. If you aim in the head you have to be very precise, maybe at 100, 200m its not very importand, but try to hit someone's head at 600m without the rangefinder. It will be much more difficult.

And regarding rangefinder being measured only to 1000m... personally I don't know, but I think that a man at this distance will be so small that its impossible to measure range by so simple diagram on the scope. You have to use another device on this range. <--- this is only my speculation.

It's not just the dragunov.

When you shoot the M16 the bullet will hit a fair distance above the top of the front iron sight pin.

I was under the impression that when you aim with iron sights you place the object you want to hit just above the front pin. But if you try ingame the bullet actually hits far above the pin. The closer range it is the worse it is of course which seems like the sights are zeroed in at a certain distance hidden to us.

And when use iron sights and then zoom the issue naturally is much worse.

Top one is 0m, second is 1100m, third 1200 and fourth 1300.

Bullet shot from such long barrel have very flat trajectory, they start to drop quickly after specific range (about 1km in SVD).

edit.

Sorry, I didn't understand you for the first time, now i get it smile_o.gif

It's not like the rangefinder is not important. If you aim in the head you have to be very precise, maybe at 100, 200m its not very importand, but try to hit someone's head at 600m without the rangefinder. It will be much more difficult.

And regarding rangefinder being measured only to 1000m... personally I don't know, but I think that a man at this distance will be so small that its impossible to measure range by so simple diagram on the scope. You have to use another device on this range. <--- this is only my speculation.

But what he said still stands.

From 0-1000m You use the first angle

1100 the second angle

1200 the third angle and so on.

But you can't measure anything above 1000m

I can't believe it's that useless.

I Think they are talking about the rifle being zeroed in at 1000m, meaning the sights have been raised so the first angle coresponds to 1000m. But still it seems usefull to only use the angles above 1000m, when you can't use the optics to measure anything above 1000m. Then the range is only important in relation to wind and leading the target.

But you mean the bullet does not drop at 1000m at all?

You can see a better explanation here: http://www.findarticles.com/p....g_2

There it says that a dial on the optical sight is used to compentate for drop UP TO 1000m and when this dial reaches max value the angles are used.

QUOTE: "The elevation turret is calibrated from 100 to 1,000 meters for the 7.62x54R military 149-grain loading. From 100 to 300 meters, the click adjustments are in 100-meter increments. From 300 to 1,000 meters, the clicks tick off 50-meter increments."

I mean the bullet at 1000m will hit the ground a little above second mark. But after certain point it will start to loose height rapidly (for example drop between 1100 and 1200m is the same as between 0 and 1100).

I mean the bullet at 1000m will hit the ground a little above second mark.

yes but that's not how the rifle actually works... for ranges up to 1000m you use the elevation turret, which is not present in ARMA.

Yes I perfectly agree and know this... I miss the option to change elevation too. What I wanted to say is just that the ballistics of the rifle are modelled accurately, we just miss the option to move sights up and down.

But you have to agree that what we have in ArmA is much better than in OFP (where bullet was hitting second marking at 250m)

that's too bad, i liked that the dragunov was a bit the "tech" weapon in ofp, the US had a progressive zoom but a slow reload while the dragu was semi automatic but needed a little personal work to learn how the sight patterns worked.

I did a few tests, hitting a target near the 1km distance is really really difficult, even more for the head.

and scaling down my mouse sensitivity didn't help much.

i will do some tests.

Anybody else here is doing extreme range shooting?

How "usefull" is it in combat? considering the bullet speed and distance.

-Can a squad get any decent support with long range sniping?

-In team based missions what type of advantage can it give?

Yes I perfectly agree and know this... I miss the option to change elevation too. What I wanted to say is just that the ballistics of the rifle are modelled accurately, we just miss the option to move sights up and down.

But you have to agree that what we have in ArmA is much better than in OFP (where bullet was hitting second marking at 250m)

Depends on where the rifle is zeroed in... because the drop from 0 to 1000 m does not equal the drop from 1000 to 1100m

I would like to know where the rifle is zeroed in the game. Is it at 0m, so the bullet will in theory hit the top of the first angle up to 100m?

This doesn't seem to be true however as I need to aim lower because the bullet actually seems to hit above the first angle at short range.

OR did BIS just cancel any effect of gravity up to 1000m?

Try shooting the M16.

At 100m the bullet will hit far above the front end pin of the iron sights.