Sign in to follow this  
Kevlar2007

Weird Graphic Errors

I have tried Omega drivers and for me they are worse than the original Catalyst drivers. With omega drivers I have massive problems with HDR additionaly to the weird polygon problem.

Today I tried Maruks suggestion to set Texture to very low combined with activated Tripple Buffer and 24 Bit Z-Buffer this seems to solve the problem for me, now I can play without problems.

Thanks!

My new questions: Will it ever be possible for me to play Arma with texture details on high setting? Why Tripple Buffer and 24bit Z-Buffer settings have impact on the game when this settings belong to opengl which have nothing to do with DirectX?

Best Regards!

My new questions: Will it ever be possible for me to play Arma with texture details on high setting?

Not on a 9800, the sheer amount of data to be moved around is far too much for a 9800 to handle fully, hence the limitation ingame to Low or Very Low textures.

If you buy a newer gfx card (preferably with at least 512Mb of GFX RAM) then sure, you'll be able to play with "High" texture details smile_o.gif

That seemed to fix it for me as well. Checked the "Force 24 bit Z Buffer" and "Force Triple Buffering" in OGL section (shrug). Oh well, it works, so guess the features span both API's. Hurrah!

As a matter of course, I also forced vsync, as having either vsync or triple buffering on without the other causes some very unwanted results in games. All or nothing with those two smile_o.gif

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't come across the crazy polygons since those two changes. Hope this works for others as well.

Happy ArmA'ing!

I've bought a AGP 7600GT ... that baby is sweet:) (and not too expensive)

P4 2.8Ghz

1 GB RAM

AGP 7600GT

1024x768

ArmA1.01 German downloaded version (running from HD, no disks involved, with a very clean XP)

-memsize=768

Settings:

Everything on MAX(!) ... uhmmm, yes:) just to test

viewdistance 1200 or more:)

EXCEPT(!!!!!!!!) the texturedetail ... this gives glitches on normal but is fine on low

Now i just put 20 M1A1 + 10 choppers + 20 men running around and it still playes reasonably well. I'm not a fps junkie but for me it looks good

After all the posts about troubles i never expected this to look so good on my midrange system! Btw, I myself had to experiement a lot for the best settings.

Anyway, to be seen how the fps holds up with more units and/or in shadowy environments, etc.

But as said, i'm pleased.

Ahh, i couldn't find a "Force 24 bit Z Buffer" setting but i checked "Force Triple Buffering" setting (dunno yet if this is important in my setup)

Oh, and another thing, in NVIDIA setup i have set the IMAGE SETTINg QUALITY to Quality and NOT to Performance

Same problem, very bad polygon spiking all over the place.

Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB

P4 2.4GHz HT

4x 256MB Corsair PC3200 DDR @ 400Mhz

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

SB Audigy2 Value

I will not buy new GFX card for arma, I hope BIS can do some optimization of the engiane cause till now I only have such problems with Arma, and arma has from all games I have played recently lowest visual quality. crazy_o.gif

Ahh, i couldn't find a "Force 24 bit Z Buffer" setting but i checked "Force Triple Buffering" setting (dunno yet if this is important in my setup)

These two particular settings with the associated verbage are strictly for the ATi users and the Catalyst Control Center. Nvidia users have similar settings in their control panel, but are likely worded (and placed) a bit differently.

Are you noticing the spikey polygon issue with your 7600GT?

Yes!

If i set texturedetail to 'normal' i have these spikes. Not too much but annoying anyway. If i set 'low/niedrig' they are gone (practically i think, maybe sometimes a spike)

So, I'm sure it IS a texture problem.

The cause is:

- NOT heat

- NOT overclocking ... i UNDERclcoked the 7600GT and the spikes stay

- NOT the other settings or viewdistance (other settings on low or high don't change the spikes)

This all makes me wonder if one is better of with more DDR ram on the gfx card ... perhaps even a 7600GS+512 is 'better' than a 7600GT+256 ... Don't know. Anyway, i'm very contend with the 7600GT (AGP, XFX)

I bought the game last night from Morphicon download.Me too i got the polygon thing madness others games on pc work fine as hell.I checked how many ram arma used it was only 350meg i think that dosent help.

i have a p4 3gig

2048 ram 3200

saphire x800xt platinium edition

I have the same problem here, bought the game from Morphicon yesterday and I try running it on an ATI 9800 PRO. I've tried the suggestions in the thread but nothing works 100%.  sad_o.gif

I read on one german forum that the old catalyst drivers might work, download here: Drivers

Tried 5.8 yesterday and it seemed to work, had problems with other applications so I had to switch back to 6.11.....

Good news to hear my suggestions worked.Although it still does not solve the close to the building problem,oh well.

Yes, that's it.

Finally I can play ArmA without weird polygons or extreme lag.

I activated 24 bit z-buffer, triple buffering and v-sync.

But only after setting texture detail to low it worked.

So, thank you all for your suggestions.

Yes, that's it.

uhm, can you maybe tell me how to do that? because i didn't get it?! maybe a german description would be helpful! smile_o.gif

thx in advance

Yes, that's it.

uhm, can you maybe tell me how to do that? because i didn't get it?! maybe a german description would be helpful! :)

thx in advance

24 bit z-buffer, triple buffering and v-sync are NOT in ArmA config screen but in the setup/properties/config of your GFX card (like NVIDIA control panel or something).

It needs a bit of searching on your pc.

(that is the 'trouble' with pc gaming, some tech pc knowledge will help to setup a maximized gaming environment ... now what about ArmA/360;)

Yes!

This all makes me wonder if one is better of with more DDR ram on the gfx card ... perhaps even a 7600GS+512 is 'better' than a 7600GT+256 ... Don't know. Anyway, i'm very contend with the 7600GT (AGP, XFX)

Nope. I got the same trouble mate.

I have the 7800GS+ (512MB)

Hey ppl.

I just read in the german support forums that that for the ATI Cards the Driver V 5.8 seems to solve the problem. At least for some of them.

Click me (German language)

Unfortunately I've got the problem with my brandnew and pretty expensive Nvidia Card which i've bought especially for ArmA. I got the game b4 i bought the Card. It's really a shame that i pay 40 bugs for the Game, 300 for a new Graphics card and still cannot play. I hope to find a driver for nVidia as well.

Here is a link for you ATI users where you can find older drivers: ATI drivers

I had the weird polygon thingy's on my copy but I siwtched on 32 bit z buffer and v-sync, still the same but when I turned them off it went away? Now playing OK it also solved the HDR being tooo bright.

Strange?

Apple iMac 1.83 Ghz Core Duo boot camp.

ATI X1600 Mac drivers

Yes, that's it.

uhm, can you maybe tell me how to do that? because i didn't get it?! maybe a german description would be helpful! smile_o.gif

thx in advance

Sorry for late post, I didn't have internet over the weekend.

If you have an ATI gfx card, open the catalyst control center.

In the menu on the left go to "3D" --> "All Settings".

Then go to "Wait for vertical refresh" and set it to Quality (Always On).

Then go to "API Specific" and activate "Triple buffering" and "Force 24-bit Z-buffer depth".

Then in-game set texture quality to "Low".

And in German:

Catalyst Control Center öffnen

Im Menu links "3D" --> "All Settings" auswählen

"Wait for vertical refresh" auf Quality (Always On) stellen.

Im Menu "API Specific" auswählen.

"Triple buffering" und "Force 24-bit Z-buffer depth" aktivieren.

Dann nur noch im Spiel die Texturqualität auf Niedrig stellen.

That worked for me. I may try the older 5.8 drivers and post here if it worked.

Those 5.8 drivers did some justice.Now i am just trying to play with all the settings.

Did anyone find a solution for this problem for nVidia cards yet?

I own this game since it's out. But couldn't play i yet. Help would be very apreciated.

Anyone found a driver?

Those 5.8 drivers did some justice.Now i am just trying to play with all the settings.

Do they completely eliminate spiking?

I think people with newer video card need to really look at there power supply wattage and make sure they have at least a 500 watt one if not more and will this will solve alot of your issues.

Stepping in with the same problem.

CPU: P4 3Ghz

1 GB RAM

ATI X800

Tried catalyst drivers 6.7 - 6.11, w, w/o AA and AF

EVERY other game is running just fine. NO heat problems, no overclocking, no "tools" installed

In the German forum, MANY people have that problem owning ATI cards (9800pro, X800, X850)

I would appreciate it, if someone official can say something, as these threads are open since the game came out and no word on a solution was given ..........

*Edit*: You can get rid of the problem for some seconds/minutes by changing the shadows to below HIGH and then back to HIGH/VERY HIGH and let the engine do a reload therefore. Then the graphic is good again for some short time.........