Sign in to follow this  
-TFF- NEO

Altitude and velocity

In the aircraft, are the altitude and velocity displayed in km/h, mph or knots, in meters or feet?

And how do you know your answer is correct...?

No way to know for sure, ask the guys at BIS.

Since the guys that made it are Czech, the speed for all vehicles might be in Km/h.

Since OFP is so realistic, maybe all the Russian vehicles are in Km/h and the American ground vehicles are in mp/h and the American aircraft are in knots.

Who knows?

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TFF] NEO @ Jan. 29 2002,07:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the aircraft, are the altitude and velocity displayed in km/h, mph or knots, in meters or feet?

And how do you know your answer is correct...?<span id='postcolor'>

All values use metric system:

velocity: km/h

altitude/distance: meter

Originally we wanted to make this optional or vehicle dependent, but there were other more important things to implement.

An option to display the most common readings should be there... Real word pilots use Knots/Feet

I belive OFP should too.

Actually, it depends on where u r from.

Also, stop bashing about little things like this, its like.... Who cares??

Start play ya perfect quake3 instead will ya ?

Yeah. who cares if the game shows feet or not?

Atleast the metric-system is built on logics wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Jan. 29 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Atleast the metric-system is built on logics wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's very very true. Here's the "logic" about feet and a mile.

The measurement known as a mile is a vestige of the Roman Empire's rule over Britain. At this time, the Romans had a measurement known as mille pasuum (ME-lay PA-soo-em), or a thousand paces. A pace comprised five, possibly sandal shod, Roman feet. Using a simple mathematical calculation, we arrive at 5,000 feet per mile.

The demise of the Roman Empire left the Britons in a quandary. They now had a mile, consisting of 5,000 feet, and their own agricultural measurement, the furlong, used to measure the farmers' fields for the purpose of property deeds, etc. Instead of using the Roman foot in calculating the measure of a furlong, they used the distance a horse could pull a plow, in a linear fashion, before the nag needed a nap. They agreed that this measurement consisted 660 feet.

Now came the dilemma. The British wished to marry the furlong to the mile, but, as they wanted a mile to comprise eight furlongs, totaling 5,280 feet, instead of the Roman 5,000 feet per mile, they had no choice but to select one of the two. Not surprisingly, they chose their measurement over the Roman measurement because, as property deeds at the time were measured in furlongs, or 660 feet, a change to the Roman measurement would short the farmer or landowner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Unl33t @ Jan. 29 2002,11:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Real word pilots use Knots/Feet

I belive OFP should too.<span id='postcolor'>

Not in Eastern Europe.....which is where OFP came from, so can you really expect otherwise? It's a minor thing let it go, there are bigger problems to fix in thin <awesome> game

I thought that the standard for aircraft and water vehicles were knots IRL. It's like that in Sweden anyway. But as I'm used to km/h and don't like miles and feet (because we all have different size on our feet tounge.gif ), I find it good that the velocity is written in km/h in OFP.

The reason I posted this thread is pretty obvious, isn't it? I was curious; I wanted to know how high these chopper fly, how fast the humvee goes and so on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TFF] NEO @ Jan. 29 2002,16:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But as I'm used to km/h and don't like miles and feet (because we all have different size on our feet tounge.gif ), I find it good that the velocity is written in km/h in OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

ROFLMAO a very good one indeed biggrin.gif

Yeah, you're right we use knots/hour instead of km/h on boats, but for obvious reasons BIS stuck with km/h all over.

I think it is good that BIS only had metric measurements becuase it would be too confusing if there were loads of different ones.