Sign in to follow this  
Universel

Bring back driving and cursor as in OFP

Some of you are taking this real personal-like. Saying that ArmA has some serious problems seems to be the equivalent of calling one's mother a reasonably priced prostitute to some. crazy_o.gif

I've played ArmA's new driving control style:

1. Happy that the look-to-apex feature is still there

2. Glad you can still turn mouse driving off (hug you mr. Num_*)

It seems to have the following pros and cons:

Pro:

1. Seems less lightly to get in osscilations than OFP.

2. Good for minor corrections while driving fast-ish on a shallow turn road

Con:

2. Not sensitive enough to make 90 deg turns

3. Makes it impossible (nearly) to hold your wheel over anywhere as it resets to center when you stop moving the mouse

Overall I feel the old way of doing things was detectably better. I felt the old style was far more logical (hence why every other game that has mouse-driving does it this way) and made you a better driving in-game.

Why to ruin a perfect driving control that was already in OFP? At least give us an option to turn it off and have the same driving control as in Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis.

After trying arma I agree the old system was better.  Driving is not so bad, but the crossharis should definatly be brought back for flying. Oh and the auto-center thing is horrible.

@ J W, you post was about as meaningful as a Vegan with a hunting rifle! .... Also read the forum rules:
Quote[/b] ]§6)Do not type in all capital letters

Typing in all caps equals according to standard net etiquette to yelling. It is also difficult reading such posts.

Indeed, but they should know better.

I still think they're basicly whining about something that's just a matter of getting used to.

So what's the big f-ing problem?

This is a huge problem IMO. I can understand that whining about features that are not present or whining about a feature because it is not like another game but this actually counter-acts the game in acheiving it's goal as a simulation for the basic person (mouse/trackball only user).

I bet my life that this all has to do with Track-IR too... I mean.. seriously they have kissed NPs ass and made a crapload of movies showing off TIR support and the only way to have supported the TIR in an engine like OFP is to redefine all the controls.... oh wait... hmmm...

I say screw TIR and the funky hat device it rode in on....

The easiest solution to all of this would simply be to equate the same control of a joystick to the mouse. You move the mouse left a bit = move joystick left a bit..... move mouse back to origin = move joystick back to origin. This would mean redefining all mouse controls for vehicles vs. units but it would make it better for use basic control users.

After trying arma I agree the old system was better. Driving is not so bad, but the crossharis should definatly be brought back for flying. Oh and the auto-center thing is horrible.

This certainly does make designating targets (other than with tab *shudder*) c'est impossible.

After trying arma I agree the old system was better.  Driving is not so bad, but the crossharis should definatly be brought back for flying.  Oh and the auto-center thing is horrible.

This certainly does make designating targets (other than with tab *shudder*) c'est impossible.

Yep thats right, if a enemy vehicle is empty well you cant lock onto it with TAB lol. So why BIS removed the cursor I have no idea, like a lot of other things that have been changed from OFP to ArmA sad_o.gif

Yeah you cant steer a car like you used to with OFP, its possible but it feels a bit bugged. However the car'physics' are so much improved that i didnt care that i had to drive with a keyboard smile_o.gif

I do miss the freelook though, i always use alt as i never liked the 'hold freelook' button, but its not as convenient as it used to be.

Ehm, you call autocentering the steering wheel when the vehicle is stopped IMPROVED PHYSICS? I call that a stupidity.

Driving is bad as it is now. Try to drive in narrow passages and try to do some hard turns. It´s almost impossible and the auto-center feature is stupid. In OFP you had the steering directly connected to the mouse, now it´s like a single input making it hard to stay "on the flow".

It would be interesting if the steering is the same in OFP Elite for XBox. This would explain to me where the steering system comes from. It makes little sense to use it in Arma though, imo.

Yeah you cant steer a car like you used to with OFP, its possible but it feels a bit bugged. However the car'physics' are so much improved that i didnt care that i had to drive with a keyboard smile_o.gif

I do miss the freelook though, i always use alt as i never liked the 'hold freelook' button, but its not as convenient as it used to be.

Ehm, you call autocentering the steering wheel when the vehicle is stopped IMPROVED PHYSICS? I call that a stupidity.

No, i call you stupid because i never called that physics, and either you just want to whine at things, you want to insult me, or you are stupid.

I never called autocentering physics, i called the physics physics, and if i had to choose between OFP with autocentering and craphysics, or ArmA without autocentering and improved physics, i would choose for ArmA any day.

What im trying to say is that you people should stop look at the good things about the game, everytime i come here i see people repeating the same few issues (car/chopper handling, texture bug, etc) repeating over and over again, 1 time saying it is good, 2 times is still ok, 3 times.. well ok, its a big forum..

BUT NOT 10 TIMES IN EVERY TOPIC, jezus christ crazy_o.gif

Really, if i was new here and looked on this forum, i would think that this game is one big bug and that almost everything sucks about it. While it doenst, ok, some things could be better, and there are some bugs. But my game hasnt crashed once since i have it (and i play alot), and there are (almost) no bugs/issues which seriously get in the way of the gameplay. This is annoying, but something you can get used too, and yeah, BI has seen this topic by now, if they will fix it you will notice it in the next big patch, if they dont.. Shame, but not something which would make me trow the game in the garbage can...

Quote[/b] ]BI has seen this topic by now, if they will fix it you will notice it in the next big patch

I guess it wouldn´t hurt to have a BIS statement from time to time that they actually do follow the buglists and are working on issues or do not work on some of the adressed issues as they think different.

This would also cut all that 1000000 posts complaining about the same things.

It´s in their hands. You can´t expect that newtime users wade through all the threads to find similar bugreports to their own impressions.

A sticky with things BIS is working on would be a big help there.

Being unresponsive does not contribute.

Personally, I hate driving useing the crosshair.

I can use the mouse just fine, and in my clan we have absolutely no crosshairs what so-ever. We can still lock on, drive and do all the other things without it, so what I say is good riddence.

Ok first of all I love the new riving controll with mouse. But I realise its preference. I do want to add one thing though.

The mouse is not auto centering. The mouse is telling the vehicle which direction to go in, when the vehicle reaches that point it drives forward. Corners and everyting are so much easier like this.

But it would be nice to be able to switch between the 2 driving methods.

Yes, the main issue could be sum up like that :

Dont zeroe the steering wheel when you stop moving mouse.

Please BIS.

Well said Universel. smile_o.gif

Although I can't test this since I don't have ArmA yet, you and others have provided (via a # of posts) an extremely good explanation of what the problem is.  Hope BIS gets the message.

I agree completely that it's better to NOT autocenter the mouse.  (OFP had this one right... no idea why they would have changed it for ArmA, sounds consoleish the new way)

Plus, seems like we still need the cursor to target?  If these two things end up as settings, that won't be a problem...  Just please give us our OFP style controls.

Also for those of you who say just use the keyboard, three words:

Binary driving sucks! tounge2.gif

My biggest gripe, is controlling wheeled vehicles, using a mouse from third person. The camera view auto centres so much, It's enough to give you an epileptic fit. Even if the mouse is still moving, it will reset the camera. Compare it to OFP, it's definitely a step backwards.

I'm all for new solutions, but maybe you could still have the old solution (non centered mouse steering) as an option?

Personally, I hate driving useing the crosshair.

I can use the mouse just fine, and in my clan we have absolutely no crosshairs what so-ever. We can still lock on, drive and do all the other things without it, so what I say is good riddence.

So how do you lock onto a empty vehicle with a lockable missile? sometimes it's needed to blow up empty targets as certain missile are useless without locking onto the target. TAB works great if a enemy is inside the vehicle but you also have to keep on pressing TAB to cycle through targets if there's a lot of enemy vehciles infront of you, the crosshair also gives you the option of what target you manualy want to select first.

This is especially needed for choppers and planes.

Also I'm wondering have you ever played a deathmatch when you need to lock onto friendly vehicles (which are not actually friendly as it's DM) that show up as green on the radar?

I guess it wouldn´t hurt to have a BIS statement from time to time that they actually do follow the buglists and are working on issues or do not work on some of the adressed issues as they think different.

This would also cut all that 1000000 posts complaining about the same things.

It´s in their hands. You can´t expect that newtime users wade through all the threads to find similar bugreports to their own impressions.

A sticky with things BIS is working on would be a big help there.

Being unresponsive does not contribute.

I'm sorry but what you're asking is simply not feasible, we're a very small team and have to strictly prioritise, that means working on fixing stuff, working on finishing stuff, no more no less.

I'll paste the same thing here I posted in the complaint thread:

Question was why there was no BIS acknowledgement of the complaints:

Quote[/b] ]Because we're an exceptionally small team working on:

Patches for released versions

MP Demo

SP Demo

Dedicated Servers

UK/EU version with extra content and features and such

There is simply no time to run around forum threads acknowledging this, that or the other, if bugs are reported with clear reproduction steps into the wiki (just like I said some time ago in the bug thread) then they will be noticed way more likely than random rantings in a forum thread, if the general consensus is that the flight model is so flawed it's tantamount to a bug then it should be reported as such.

If you want a sticky that gets regularly updated with what BIS are working on then to free up the time to do that we'll probably have to cancel the dedicated server, or cancel the demo, or delay the actual patches which is just a nonsense situation.

We have to focus on the most important things, and that is simply getting the stuff done and fixed and released.

And so the time I spent now replying to this thread I haven't spent fixing the 200 waiting forum accounts, maybe to you guys the time spent for me making this post was worthwhile, for the people waiting to post they might disagree, and I think that's the simple truth of it, for each person upset because there's no official BIS progress report, there are probably 2,000 more pretty damn happy that we're doing our utmost to fix and patch and finish and release the various stuff from my list above as quickly as we can.

I am indeed very much aware that the current workload at BIS is very high and we all appreciate the efforts at BIS to get it running and to get things fixed.

The problem is that is hardly any feedback on issues users have with ArAs and this is why the situation in some threads tends to stir up as people feel "left-alone" with their issues and do not hear an official voice on the adressed issues.

That´s what makes the situation uncomfortable for both sides. On one hand we have BIS working mad to get things running with no time to post about fixes and on the other side we have users unhappy with various Arma issues who feel a bit left alone.

A suggestion:

I´m pretty sure there is a sheet circulating at BIS with issues that have to be adressed on it. I also guess the BIS crew does report when things are fixed or give some kind of progress update.

As we have a new mod here, Raedor (welcome by the way), would it be against BIS policy to have him handle that ?

This would mean that he gets the list and updates it as he gets input from BIS crew and then he could add this to a corresponding sticky.

Just an idea.

Good idea might I add.

And the mouse driving was one of the things that made ofp special!

Good idea might I add.

And the mouse driving was one of the things that made ofp special!

So true.

I remember being amazed first time I experienced it.

For the first time ppl have actually though how to "drive" with mouse, and not how to move wheels.

The feeling was closer to a steering wheel than any game pad, and OFP/BIS did it, not NFS or whatever other driving game.

I truly hope BIS will sell as much Arma copies as possible, OFP was the hugest game and worth much more than 30€ I paid, so this is how I try to help to improve Arma thus to sell more copies of it smile_o.gif

i don't let a little thing like this ruin my ArmA experience.

I found OFP mouse driving cool and I find the Arma mouse driving good.

Quote[/b] ]So how do you lock onto a empty vehicle with a lockable missile? sometimes it's needed to blow up empty targets as certain missile are useless without locking onto the target. TAB works great if a enemy is inside the vehicle but you also have to keep on pressing TAB to cycle through targets if there's a lot of enemy vehciles infront of you, the crosshair also gives you the option of what target you manualy want to select first.

This is especially needed for choppers and planes.

I'd personally love to know if there it's possible to freely select targets like this when flying the choppers. My favourite 'quick' mission in OpFlash was Ground Assault, but the equivalent ArmA mission just annoys me, as selecting the right target is now such a pain. TAB TAB TAB TAB, etc...

Any news from the devs ?

I saw no improvements in 1.02, nor in the 1.03 demo, so I start to wonder, although Placebo said this thread had received attention from devs.

The driving, especially with Jeeps/UAZs/Trucks at low speed is really painful.

Just compare how painful it is to cross a ArmA forest in UAZ compared to OFP forest, even though ArmA forests are 2x less dense than OFP's.

Once again, my (our) only request is to disable the auto-centering of steering wheel or even better to bring back the smart OFP auto-centering while driving by mouse.