Sign in to follow this  
Universel

Bring back driving and cursor as in OFP

At least :

Dont zeroe the steering wheel when you stop moving mouse.

Please BIS.

The best :

Bring back OFP driving method (wheels smartly centered as vehicle move towards its new direction shown by cursor)

I dont understand why you, BIS, wrecked that much the driving in Arma compared to OFP.

Now it is a pain to drive trucks or cars with mouse.

To make it simple, I want that, while driving, the mouse is used to point the direction where you want to go and the wheels are automaticaly oriented towards that direction.

It was so simple and effective.

I dont want that wheels orientation is automaticaly reseted as soon as I stop dragging mouse, as it is now in Arma, because I dont have a 10 meters wide mouse pad!

Oh, and while you're at it, bring also back the cursor (which showed the direction you want to go), and the limited yet sufficient free-look you had in vehicles whithout pressing * or Space.

So cars and trucks can no longer be driven with the mouse as in OFP?  banghead.gif  banghead.gif  WTF is going on here? OFP was a great all-round simulator with easy to control cars, trucks, tanks, boats and choppers all with the mouse and this was one of the best thing about it from an ease of use point of view!

So why so many changes to this effective (perfect) setup?

We have choppers that now behave unrealistically, boats which drive on land and now vehicles with poor mouse control! nono.gif

Please tell me this is not true!

driving the vehicles now is absolutely fantastic.

It is much easier to keep them on the streets than in OFP

No it is far from easier. I Agree with the starter bring back the cursor in vehicles, i cant see why it isnt there in the first place?

OFP's was much much better.

You now are forced to drive with keyboard turning ...

BIS will destroy our fingers.

:-(

in fact, vehicle simulation is much better in arma, when you're driving cars you feel it's right

but...

its fact also, that you cant just point the mouse where you want to drive, you have to move it constantly to turn wheels and you don't see the mouse pointer

well, there is a keyboard of course, but pushing W for example turns front wheels by 10 points angle or so, that way you dont have precise control, using a mouse you have precise but not FULL control

I hope this can be fixed or configurated in config maybe ...

driving the vehicles now is absolutely fantastic.

It is much easier to keep them on the streets than in OFP

Are you using a mouse or keyboard? You see I have a trackball mouse and I find it is the most precise and simplest way to control vehicles, as it is analogue and not digital. OFP had a perfect setup of steering and view change using the mouse with trucks and cars as Universel said. If this has changed I won't be happy because I hate controlling vehicles with a keyboard and I’m b*gered if I am going to have half a dozen different controllers on my desk just to control all the different vehicles in ArmA!  mad_o.gif

Well I always used a keyboard for ground vehicles so it's fine with me whistle.gif .

Why do we need a whole new thread for every minor complaint?

If Universel is correct then this is not a minor complaint! You maybe happy with using the keyboard but many of us are not and it will impact greatly on how we play and enjoy (or not) the game!

If Universel is correct then this is not a minor complaint! You maybe happy with using the keyboard but many of us are not and it will impact greatly on how we play and enjoy (or not) the game!

Well if having to use a keyboard instead of a mouse for jeep and trucks ruins the fun in playing military action game for you, then fine tounge2.gif .

Yeah you cant steer a car like you used to with OFP, its possible but it feels a bit bugged. However the car'physics' are so much improved that i didnt care that i had to drive with a keyboard smile_o.gif

I do miss the freelook though, i always use alt as i never liked the 'hold freelook' button, but its not as convenient as it used to be.

Sorry but it's far from a minor complaint.

1st. In OFP you had a small free-look while driving, you could see left/right and up/down.

So while turning left, you were actually altogether looking a bit at the left, thus a better anticipation.

In Arma view is desperately fixed, you have to press Space and move mouse to see your left... but oh, while you're pressing Space you cant steer...

2nd. and more important.

The mouse use of OFP as an analog device to steer vehicles was PERFECT. You have a cursor, you point the cursor ONCE and the vehicle is automaticaly and gradually (according to its characteristics) oriented towards that direction while your cursor is returning at the center of screen.

That was so smouth and a damn smart idea.

In Arma you must constantly move your mouse until you made your turn. Ie it requires a XXL wide mouse pad... or a trackball.

And leave the keyboard where it is, you can never drive straight on a straight road with a digital device like keyboard.

While I agree that the mouse thing for vehicles in OFP was better compared to ArmA and it's odd that they removed it, I don't think it's such a big deal. You can easily use the keyboard. I only used the keyboard in OFP because the mouse was much harder to control so that's what I'm also using in ArmA.

While I agree that the mouse thing for vehicles in OFP was better compared to ArmA and it's odd that they removed it, I don't think it's such a big deal. You can easily use the keyboard. I only used the keyboard in OFP because the mouse was much harder to control so that's what I'm also using in ArmA.

Try getting youself one of these and then maybe all you keyboard tappers will see things differently!  tounge2.gif

Wierd, I just point my mouse when I wanna make a turn and it works well too.

Do you have a joystick plugged in?

Driving in ArmA is more realistic in my opinion. It feels really good when driving the car in 1st person view. In third person view it's tricky to drive well with the mouse so you'd better use the keyboard for movement.

It's probably just getting used to ArmA, in OFP you could drive with mouse, keyboard or both. In ArmA this is still possibly, but only using the mouse doesn't allow fast turning. For the optimal turn, use the keyboard possibly combined with the mouse.

ArmA is more realistic than OFP, that's why you want to board a vehicle as a gunner or in the back as team leader. That way you can concentrate on your task: leading your squad instead of leading the squad and driving your car.

And using the * helps, it gives you more freedom in your view. Though driving can become a bit complicated because of it.

You can easily use the keyboard.

This may work with low speed, but try to stay on road with full speed and keyboard controls. The keyboard is a digital input device which means 0 = no steer / 1 = full steer. It's simply impossible to stay on track because you literally have to act as a human dac by "interleaving" the steering signal manually. biggrin_o.gif Hope you get what I mean...

Additionally it's just not practical to turn the steering wheel back to zero while not moving the mouse, just like it's not practical to not show the cursor! It's incomprehensibly to me...

Nah, it also checks how long you hold the button. So sometimes you have to tap the buttons else you will run of the road.

Yes, the main issue could be sum up like that :

Dont zeroe the steering wheel when you stop moving mouse.

Please BIS.

I miss the free look, but the sense of weith and the drive of ArmA for me is far better then OFP. Now feals like you driving something heavy.

Nope, just mouse and keyboard. You want me to record it?

Nope, just mouse and keyboard. You want me to record it?

Just stay still, move your mouse and see if wheels return to initial porition when you stop moving mouse.

Btw in this topic I'm not saying that driving is unrealistic, I'm just saying it is a pain to use a mouse to drive.

This also gives analog joysticks/joypads or trackballs an advantage over mouse users.

And this could be SO easily fixed...

Nah, it also checks how long you hold the button. So sometimes you have to tap the buttons else you will run of the road.

You might be right, I'm currently not able to play the game, but iirc, It's nevertheless very hard to dose it right.

Bring back the steering system in OFP (Both the cursor and mouse in air and land), then everything would be fine!

BTW, I'm now afraid of being in vehicles in air. But you know, in OFP, I can drive a Mh-6 in Tonal streets like a car!