Sign in to follow this  
Abs_01

Operation Northstar WIP

Hey Abs, Howabout still making a good majority of the equipment, but do one thing at a time, Then release small packages? wink_o.gif

Hey Abs, Howabout still making a good majority of the equipment, but do one thing at a time, Then release small packages? wink_o.gif

Hey ProPilot,

As I had said, there is no way that I will do that. That was done for OFP, and I didn't particularly enjoy the outcome (ie: very few missions were made, which, in my eyes at least, made the addons pointless).

I would appreciate it if you answer my original question, though. wink_o.gif

Abs

But you can't expect missions today, even if you made a cooperation with an missionstudio/project or arrange missionmapper yourself. Maybe than the peple will deal seroiusly with your addons, like it was with FDF, CSLA.

I think our community is too small that someone would seroiusly deal with community addons to make great and outstanding missions.

Also the most of the peoples aren't profs on that area at leat you can expect that hundreds of people will work with the community addons. Many others are new here and the old ones which stay here in the comm. deal themself with other things.

Addon making is to make the addons for yourself or for others that they can place them in the editor play around with them and are happy to see them inGame. Thats all and the harsh reality.

Mission making for what, for 30-40 people?

The most people, close the editor after playing with your addons, join Mp and playing Evo.

Would you start to make mission for only a few people where you didn't gain any recognition.

[btw. I also would see a high quality campaign like it was in FDF. But I have no hope that this will ever be done.]

Really, you have to do what's best for you. Beggars like myself don't much have a right to say much. Mission orientated works for me however, since you asked. smile_o.gif

Regarding Raptor's comments on missions, I'd like to think that there are more people out there like myself who do enjoy throwing missions together for one's own enjoyment - offline. I do appreciate and enjoy these kind of major mods and do use them. That doesn't mean you'll be seeing my missions posted though. I have neither the time nor talent to create intros and outros, and don't much care for writing briefings, etc, ie the stuff that makes a respectable mission. One doesn't see bare bones missions like I enjoy making and playing for download.

I do agree with Raptor on the fact that you have undertake this kind of work for your own enjoyment, without expectation of much in return. (And FWIW, the very same discussions occur now in the flight sim community and have since when in ancient times (mid '90s) I was quite active creating mods - what we quaintly called "hacking" back then ) wink_o.gif

ONS is looking for website hosting from a news site. Specifically, we need PHP and MySQL support so that we can run a Joomla front-end.

If you have hosting available, please get in touch with me through these forums. Thank you.

Abs

[EDIT: I've decided to go the mission-centric route. Also, we plan on making the mod's setting in Afghanistan.]

Thanks Abs - I appreciate your sentiments - and I have the DEEPEST respect for modders and the projects they undertake! At least with a basic Canadian infantry pack, (maybe with stock Canuck rifles) we can start making missions! pistols.gif

up to you mate - whatever you thinks best! wink_o.gif

Stew

You see, the plan for ONS is to create every single vehicle and weapon in use by the Canadian armed forces today. Needless to say, that's a pretty huge mandate. God knows it takes a really long time to create a single addon, never mind every single thing your country uses.

That mandate is a recipe for discouragement and failure. Why not set yourselves some smaller, intermediate goals? I think that perhaps something that comparable to a series of unit replacement packs might be a better start. Replacing just what the Americans have with a Canadian analogue (except the attack helicopter) should be enough to keep you busy for a while. You could start with just the infantry then move on to drop in a lav, then maybe some jtf2 units, and so on for the army, stryker, and SF units respectively.

Quote[/b] ]Beggars like myself don't much have a right to say much

Unless people are helping out the mod with actual physical work...I'd leave it for Abs to decide how he wants to do it. That quote above says it pretty well.

I cant speak for Abs but IMO, It's done when its done and I wouldnt give a half a crap if someone thought it should be done faster. If people want to have input, then do something a little more than bump a thread. Try offering real help.

My 2 cents.

Whats going on with the mod? is it at a standstill?

Im really hoping to see it finished smile_o.gif

Thanks,

Cpl. MacDonald

Believe it or not, I'm at work right now (night shift) UV mapping the infantry. For the most part, the standard infantry model is well on its way. Making the LODs and such shouldn't be too difficult, as it's based on the BIS model (I have a feeling I'll be putting my foot in my mouth soon).

Once we get a C7 done, I'll be releasing a single model so that there are some Canadian troops to play with. This one troop model is the intermediate step that Plaintiff1 is referring to.

The next step is a much bigger one. The mod's setting will be Afghanistan's Kandahar province. I won't be making all the vehicles the army uses...just the ones that we will need in the missions. Opfor equipment will most likely be retextured BIS models, with some custom infantry. The objective here is to make a game...one where its true to life in its representation of the equipment, but more importantly one where it is more fun to play.

As CT said, I'm in no rush to release this. I can only do the work when I have free time. I am forever grateful to Jonny who helps me out with the texturing (and the occasional model). I don't mind that there is no one else to help me out...I don't expect you all to learn how to model and spend your time on this project. However, I really do appreciate the moral support. It's nice to be reminded that at the end of the day I will not be the only one playing this mod.

Abs

Thanks Abs for the update and thanks for the hard work you're putting in - I'm certainly a big fan smile_o.gif

Thanks Abs for the update and thanks for the hard work you're putting in - I'm certainly a big fan smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif Thanks Stewy. The sentiment is appreciated.

Abs concerning the C7 couldnt it just be a reskin of an M16 or even an older one if Vilas gave you permission to use his FAL

Abs concerning the C7 couldnt it just be a reskin of an M16 or even an older one if Vilas gave you permission to use his FAL

We're not out to reinvent the wheel. smile_o.gif

We'll use what models are available from the stock ArmA game to make the weapon models. What you should really be doing though is bugging Jonny to texture the Canadian troops. wink_o.gif

Abs

well i think if he did get the units textured there would be a great response from the community. smile_o.gif

I just wish i had some tex skills to offer you sad_o.gif

is there anybody else working on your team?

Is jonny too busy to complete the Canadian troops?

What other vehicles do you plan to use?

I plan on taking a really big break from ArmA. I'm afraid I just don't have the patience anymore for modding this game. The reason for that stems from the fact that I don't really have the patience for this game, either. To be honest, I haven't been in the game for any more than 10 hours since I've bought it.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm saying I don't get pleasure from this game (much like how I don't like super realistic flight sims).

Maybe later, if the game ever appeals to me again.

Abs

sad_o.gif Tough times, Abs - I hope you get your Mojo back one day...

Thanks for all the work you put in though... notworthy.gif

I plan on taking a really big break from ArmA. I'm afraid I just don't have the patience anymore for modding this game. The reason for that stems from the fact that I don't really have the patience for this game, either. To be honest, I haven't been in the game for any more than 10 hours since I've bought it.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm saying I don't get pleasure from this game (much like how I don't like super realistic flight sims).

Maybe later, if the game ever appeals to me again.

Abs

wow the little canadian boat of hope just sunk. goodnight.gif

would love to have some canadian troops

Would be nice if you could pass it on.

Maybe if i can figure out how to make configs and find the textures, i could retexture and reshade some Canadian troops from RACS.

i will pass on some stuff to DK (as he asked) when i can locate it all again. It obviously has all the model errors etc (reason i didnt want to bother releasing them). but i have some re-textures lying around somewhere,

links to some pics (disregard the weapons);

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/sabretron/caf2group.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/sabretron/caf2-2.jpg

hey  guys I'm working on CAF troops and weps but I don't have models yet maybe you could help? I tryed to ask abs but hes all "I will sell them to you" WTH sell models wut a jerk.

lol