Sign in to follow this  
Abs_01

Operation Northstar WIP

Kris @ Sep. 29 2007,23:11)]Can i ask what u need help with ??

Of course. For the most part, I need someone who can either a) teach me how to build LODs properly, b) build the LODs for me, or c) both. This is perhaps the most important thing.

Really, help from folks in any area would be welcome, whether it is modelling, texturing, or UV mapping. Putting it into O2 and configging it should not take as long as building the models and texturing them (what do I know...I'm a newbie addon maker). It would be nice to have someone other than me putting time into this to speed things up.

Abs

Kris @ Sep. 30 2007,02:11)]Well i cant do much except mission making LOL sry just was taking an interest XD

That's quite alright. It's difficult to find anyone who has any real skill in this community anyway.

Abs

One request from a fellow Canuck:

Could you guys possibly make a ranger unit? Mixed gender, weight and one aboriginal guy and a few Lee Enfield Mk.4s...

It does look good, doesn't it? Unfortunately, that's Sabre's work for VBS2 I believe. It's got nothing to do with ONS. confused_o.gif

Abs

Thats an early pic.

Was originally done just for something to do for Arma, just so happens that the CAF needed some units to use in VBS2 until they get others, they arnt locked into either vbs2 or arma.

Have you checked your pm's at opnorthstar abs?

It does look good, doesn't it? Unfortunately, that's Sabre's work for VBS2 I believe. It's got nothing to do with ONS. confused_o.gif

Abs

In ArmA it would look even better tounge2.gif

Well, I had not wanted to show this yet, as it's not quite done (and I'm starting to shy away from posting WIPs of untextured models), but here's a picture of our modification of the ArmA soldier. The ArmA soldier is in the background as a comparison.

cftroops02fj3.jpg

All that's missing are the helmet straps, the NVG mount, and the ballistic eyewear, and we've got the base model done. Making modifications for the different soldier types shouldn't take too long after that.

Abs

[EDIT: PS Sabre, I've replied back to your PM. smile_o.gif]

Do you guys have a campaign planned? It was heartbreaking to not see one come out for ofp

Theres no shortage of people wanting things yet all the guys who signed up to help are strangely gone.  help.gif

Basically if you want to see campaigns etc etc (and im speaking just in general here) people need to lend a hand.

does canadian soldiers wear their bayonets like that? in the middle of the chest pointing upwards? seems awkward to me. imagine trying to go prone with it.. might accidentally stabbed your heart.. crazy_o.gif

usually i saw soldiers put it on left suspenders or on their belt, or legs.

anyway good job on the model. i dont have the patience to learn o2 or max. hehehe. i just reskinned

tounge2.gif

Hey hypno toad...I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you mean in CADPAT TW? If so, of course we plan on doing that. smile_o.gif

Mr_Centipede: yea they wear it like that. Either that way, or pointing downwards (in which case, it may stab your man bits)...personally, I'd rather lose my life than my 'Little John', know what I mean? Either way, the manual for the tactical vest shows it pointing up, and I'm going to stay faithful to it. wink_o.gif

Abs

[PS: We will be releasing a limited troop pack once we get them ready. No sense in making you guys wait until we have the vehicles done, as that may take a very long time.]

Quote[/b] ]does canadian soldiers wear their bayonets like that? in the middle of the chest pointing upwards? seems awkward to me. imagine trying to go prone with it.. might accidentally stabbed your heart.. crazy_o.gif

The sheath that the knife is in prevents that, i think they would have considered things like that before doing it that way biggrin_o.gif

can.jpg

yeah.. but sometimes the sheath also hurts, maybe just a bruise. hehe. i practiced bayonet combat a few years back with the sheath on, and the other guy was too aggresive and acually poke me with that thing.. thank god it was sheathed..

anyway.. looking at the pics, i guess it wouldnt hurt, because of the vest (bullet proof vest i presumed)

anyway thanks for clearing that out. just never seen it worn like that before. we learn new things every day thumbs-up.gif

yeh, hopefully i didnt come off like a smartass, but yeh the sheath + vest + armour would be sufficient protection id reckon.

Any updates on models/textures Abs?

I'm working on the model as we speak. I've finished the straps, and now just have the NVG mount and the ballistic eye wear to do. I've got most of the body mapped. Hopefully I should have another update once it's textured...(like I said: I'm shying away from showing untextured models).

Abs

does canadian soldiers wear their bayonets like that? in the middle of the chest pointing upwards? seems awkward to me. imagine trying to go prone with it.. might accidentally stabbed your heart.. crazy_o.gif

usually i saw soldiers put it on left suspenders or on their belt, or legs.

We used to carry it on our belt with the old webbing.  With the new Tacvest, it is typically carried the way you see it there.

Amazingly enough, it doesn't jab into you that much when lying prone.  The frog (the webbing that holds it) is fairly thick and there is so much stuff our vest that you only occasionally feel the ring for the barrel.

However where it is a ROYAL pain in the ass is crossing obstacles.  That damn ring has a terrible habit of hanging up while trying to climb tall walls or other items (especially on the confidence courses).

I have yet to enjoy the pleasure of wearing it with body armour, so I'll have to reserve comment on that for later (every time I've worn the flak vest, we have not been issued Bayonets).

Otherwise great job with the mod and hope to see more!

P.S. Now you'll have to model our lovely new Cadpat boots... ugh!

Otherwise great job with the mod and hope to see more!

P.S. Now you'll have to model our lovely new Cadpat boots... ugh!

Re: the boots. biggrin_o.gif No thanks. I'll stick to the good old black boots.

Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I'll have more to show soon.

Abs

[EDIT: Infantry model is complete. Working on UV mapping and texturing.]

I've been thinking lately about mod-making in general and the way I've been going about it, and I wanted some feedback from the folks out here.

You see, the plan for ONS is to create every single vehicle and weapon in use by the Canadian armed forces today. Needless to say, that's a pretty huge mandate. God knows it takes a really long time to create a single addon, never mind every single thing your country uses.

As of late, my thoughts toward addon making has been a more mission-centric one. Develop a nice campaign, and then develop only those addons that will offer some sort of value to that campaign. I mean, what's the point of making a mounted TOW launcher if it's not going to be used in the game, right? (Apart from being nice eye-candy, of course.)

So I'm here today seeking thoughts on what steps I should take next. There is basically no way that I will release single addons (except for a teaser infantry pack). As fans of Armed Assault, would you guys like to see a country's military represented totally and completely so that you can build your own missions, or is it much more important to have something that's playable? If you want the whole army represented, then you will have to wait longer, but will have all the coolest toys to play with that the troops in real life do...but if you think Option B is better, you will have limited addons, but releases will be faster.

Cheers.

Abs

[PS: Sorry if my thoughts aren't completely coherent right now. I've only had three hours of sleep, and I've got an exam tomorrow that I spent 13 hours studying for. The damn thing is giving me nightmares, and I'm waking up reciting router commands. goodnight.gif ]