Sign in to follow this  
Dissonant

WGL?

Anyone know if the WGL team is working on putting together a mod for ArmA? In my openion they were one of the best mods out there, I look forward to seeing what they can do with the new engine..I'll keep my fingers crossed

Yes, there will definately be WGL for ArmA.

We are currently looking at the best way to make this happen - we are also planning on introducing many new aspects which will further enhance the game.

i'm really looking forward to this one:)

are there any plans to make the mod a "total conversion" this time? what i mean is will you have to download converted missions/campaigns again to enjoy it or will it be like FFUR (install and enjoy)?

Yes, there will definately be WGL for ArmA.

We are currently looking at the best way to make this happen - we are also planning on introducing many new aspects which will further enhance the game.

Thank you so much Phaeden for replying. I know that the ICM team is looking forward to using all that you guys have to offer. We took part in some of the early testing of wgl, and we'd be more than happy to do so again. I would have emailed you personally, but I lost your email so I posted here in hopes you'd respond biggrin_o.gif Please keep us posted on your work in progress and let us know if theres anything we can do or provide you with to make your work easier. Our clan has shrunk in the past year since we decided to take a break from the game awaiting the release of ArmA. But we still have access to excellent scripters and mission makers so gimme a shout if you need me...Again thank you for taking the time to reply to my topic yay.gif

we are also planning on introducing many new aspects which will further enhance the game.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with PFT's, eating/drinking during a mission, etc.

I remember seeing a post on the old WGL forums that mentioned such things, and it seemed like a terrible idea at the time. Hopefully it was a joke post and was never intended to become actual features.

we are also planning on introducing many new aspects which will further enhance the game.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with PFT's, eating/drinking during a mission, etc.

I remember seeing a post on the old WGL forums that mentioned such things, and it seemed like a terrible idea at the time. Hopefully it was a joke post and was never intended to become actual features.

Just because an idea does'nt pass well with you does not mean that it wont suit other gamers..I can remember several games we've played that took hours on end.A break during game play is a great idea, and rather than setting around a camp fire and doing nothing, a few extra actions added would be a welcome site.

At this point, all options are on the table.  

If we implement things like water usage, it will be for those very long games that would require commanders to resupply their troops - but it isn't likely that the individual with the rifle will really need or care about it.

We do want to incorporate a lot more realistic units and tactics - for example, instead of having REDFOR and BLUFOR, we would have lists of actual countries with their actual gear.

We also want to continue highlighting the need for team play - Rambo is only effective in the movies.

We are also looking into the possibility of opening up aspects of play that haven't been explored much yet. With JIP, we can offer missions that include real recon, assembly, etc. But this will all depend on a lot of factors.

WGL: 10 years of introducing features players loathe, since 2002"

We're upping the simulation level in Armed Assault to levels only previously seen in our commercial work. This will undoubtedly lead to many cries of "WGL for AA ruined my game and my life!" but I'm fully prepared to be just as happy with it even if Phaeden and I are the only people playing it.

So yes, look out because here comes WGL...now with "RIFLEMAN NEEDS FOOD, BADLY" audio notification every 6.5 seconds.

We're upping the simulation level in Armed Assault to levels only previously seen in our commercial work. This will undoubtedly lead to many cries of "WGL for AA ruined my game and my life!" but I'm fully prepared to be just as happy with it even if Phaeden and I are the only people playing it.

So yes, look out because here comes WGL...now with "RIFLEMAN NEEDS FOOD, BADLY" audio notification every 6.5 seconds.

I'd like to remind you that there are a good number of people who play WGL and enjoy for things other than simulation for the sake of simulation.

My Flashpoint group, which you may or may not know about, is probably one of the biggest if not THE biggest WGL groups there is.

If you do things like simulate ankle twisting, or having to eat/drink during a mission, you're probably going to alienate us and others. There is of course a possibility that you'll do something really compelling that keeps us playing, but based upon the post (as I recall it) I and others in my group are very apprehensive about the potential ArmA direction.

I hope that you do not make a mod that only a handful of people will ever care to play. I hope that my group will continue with Wargames League in the future as well. At this point in time, though, it's up for question.

I can't imagine the appeal of making a mod that only you and one or two others might actually want to play. I hope that you do not actually do that, as it would be a tragic end to a mod that has otherwise given myself and my group an enormous amount of fun in OFP.

See, I've already ruined someone's experience and I haven't even purchased AA yet. My influence is great. I'm like a planet. I have my own gravity. icon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, I was being sarcastic in my previous post. The "rifleman needs food, badly" comment is a reference to the old school Gauntlet arcade games where it seemed like no matter how many quarters you pumped into it you were constantly dying of starvation a minute later.

What I find interesting is that if you liked what we did and where we went with WGL 1.0 through 5.0 then what indication do you have that we're suddenly going to jerk the car into a bridge abuttment (so to speak) and ruin everything in AA? If you don't end up liking what we do then I'm genuinely sorry that you don't share our vision of what we want to do in AA. But we're a loooooooong way from that point which means we're still open to lobbying and bribery to get your suggestions and demands met.

wink_o.gif

As for future aspects of WGL, we know that bringing in new things may not always be popular, but we don't do things to alienate people that play WGL. For example, when we first incorporated the helo startup, we received a lot of complaints about it, but we feel that it is something that adds to the immersion and overall "realism" of the mod.

If things like rations and water make it into the game, it is unlikely that it will influence the average player. However, for those out there that want to play as a platoon or company commander, having the logistics element of combat can be appealing.

Other things that might make it into the release will, we hope, only add to the enjoyment of its players. We strive to create situations where the mod itself highlights the benefit and need for teamwork and tactics.

As Angus mentioned, we haven't spent years (argh) developing a product to suddenly do a 180 on it and move in an opposite direction. For those that have been around WGL since the beginning, they know that some elements have come and gone - retired if you will - when they don't add to the mission. You will never see a time when the player is more worried about changing out batteries and refilling his camelback from the nearest water buffalo than about where the enemy is and how to kill them best.

Have faith o ye of the WGL world - we are working on creating awesomeness the likes of which has rarely been seen.

With ArmA and join in progress a mission might last for days. I think it would be very unrealistic that a soldier that has fought for days without food and water would perform just as good as a well-rested and nourished soldier. Malnutrition would only add to the immersion, just like the damage effects (hands or legs hit, bleeding, losing control when hit) and exhaustion after sprinting. Also, it could make surrounding an enemy force a more effective strategy as they'd eventually run out of food (of course this wouldn't work against players as they would probably rather charge into their certain death than hold defensive positions for hours with next to no action whatsoever).

Of course it shouldn't be a factor if the missions you play generally last less than say four hours. Except for water but I guess you could just use a game logic or a variable to disable dehydration if you can't be arsed to take a quick sip every now and then.

Can't wait to see what WGL comes out with...in my opinion, the best OFP mod that I've played!

at one point I debated even buying ArmA till WGL came out with a mod for it...the OFP version is that good.

With JIP now, not having a logistics issue (like resupply) would simply be a major oversight. So if you dont like the concept, then play short lasting missions (problem solved). So i dont see any harm in adding such things like water and food to long lasting missions if you enjoy immersive experiences like some people do.

Absolutely agree.

As far as WGL's plans, are you guys going to release small things like a mini-mod until you have what you consider a full mod? This would surely help us realism fans pass the time. biggrin_o.gif

You want to add in eating too? christ. How about for realism we make it ACTUALLY realistic. 2 hour rucksack marches and 4 hour stovewatch duties. Thats realistic! icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't know if the broader concept of resupply necessarily includes eating. For instance, WGL may have ammo dumps and fuel deports and resupply lanes to and from them across the island.. then you can have the opposing team seeking to interrupt your logistics by blowing up bridges and attacking convoys.... thereby keeping your artillery out of play for a while. Then you would not only have to defend your lines, but also the routes up to your lines. I think it's interesting.

We're upping the simulation level in Armed Assault to levels only previously seen in our commercial work.  This will undoubtedly lead to many cries of "WGL for AA ruined my game and my life!" but I'm fully prepared to be just as happy with it even if Phaeden and I are the only people playing it.

I'd like to remind you that there are a good number of people who play WGL and enjoy for things other than simulation for the sake of simulation.

My Flashpoint group, which you may or may not know about, is probably one of the biggest if not THE biggest WGL groups there is.

I hope that you do not make a mod that only a handful of people will ever care to play. I hope that my group will continue with Wargames League in the future as well. At this point in time, though, it's up for question.

I can't imagine the appeal of making a mod that only you and one or two others might actually want to play. I hope that you do not actually do that, as it would be a tragic end to a mod that has otherwise given myself and my group an enormous amount of fun in OFP.

Wow and your going under the assumption that they really care what you think, and not doing it out of their own creative love of something different and unique. Angus, Phaeden dont listen to rubish like this. You guys keep making the product you think you would like to play and those that are interested will come.  I for one would love to see more realism. We need a more comprehensive wound system, more issues with weight and carrying gear, more realistic indirect fire issues (ie aiming stakes etc.)

Just keep dreaming big....

You want to add in eating too? christ. How about for realism we make it ACTUALLY realistic. 2 hour rucksack marches and 4 hour stovewatch duties. Thats realistic! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hmmm...... well, I think your being sarcastic rofl.gif

...but I agree, as long as I'm the one cooking. I'll be damned if I have to do the dishes.

I unfortunately never played ofp past the single player game when it first came out... and have never heard of wgl until now... But it sounds awesome.... Reminds me of dungeons and dragons or any other classic pen and paper RPG game.

food and water is a great way simulate some factors which you wouldnt ignore in real life. I guess its just a matter of how its implemented... if the soldier drinks 2 liters water, will he have trouble aiming if he has to take a leak?

or instead of twisting an ankle, is it possible to simulate sand or rock chips in the eye. if a bullet hits a surface within close proximity to the ground or a wall, it messes with the post production filter to make the vision blurry...

anyways...looking forward to WGL in arma

We are still moving forward and will be releasing something in a while (I don't want to put any dates out there yet, as I don't want to a.) give any false hope or information and b.) personally don't want a deadline during the holidays.

As for what we are all about - in summary (especially for those that have never heard of or played WGL), we strive to create a realistic yet playable conversion for ArmA.  In this manner, we will be adding nearly every infantry type, weapon, vehicle, and tactic that we can to make WGL as complete a package as possible.

In the past, and undoubtedly in the future, there will be individuals that do not want what we offer.  We are totally ok with that and even encourage those individuals to not waste their time with WGL.  On the other side of the coin, WGL caters to those that wish for a more immersive, comprehensive, and expansive virtual combat environment.  We tend to draw individuals that want to focus on teamwork, tactics, and total immersion rather than those that want a quick, run and gun type game (i.e. Counter Strike, BF2, etc.).  We are not opposed to that style of play as we often enjoy a good 15 minute fight.  If time permits though, we prefer the hours long battle where planning, recon, attack, counter-attack, consolidation, planning … are part of the experience.

The future of WGL is open and bright.  We plan on reworking all that we currently offer as well as exploring new options as yet unseen in a civilian off-the-shelf game.  

As stated above, we plan on incorporating much more of the logistic side of combat.  As a player that only wishes to be a “grunt,†he or she has very little to worry about as logistics won’t affect normal play.  It won’t be like Gauntlet where, “Elf needs food badly†and then dies in another 30 seconds (add another quarter please).  

Possibilities that might occur because of this added logistics are:

* Many different types of mission for grunts, armor, air to protect or intercept convoys (which are a lot more exciting than one might think (and personally, seem a lot more enjoyable than “I’ve got your flag, and you can’t have mine.â€)).

* Commanders that will have to worry about not only setting up good defenses and offenses but also worrying about keep open supply lines.

* Sieges of bases

* Careful use of resources (planning and implementation)

* Sabotage and SF Troops plays a much great role

* Recon troops now can recon supply routes

* Advanced Indirect Fire Missions

* etc., etc., etc.

For players that wish to challenge themselves with the added burden of logistics, it will open up a whole new section of tactical and strategic play.

I also want to stress that the primary focus of WGL will always be INFANTRY – especially in PvP modes.  As the saying goes, “Everything else is just support.† All the added bells and whistles will only add to the overall immersion and enjoyment of play.

We will keep everyone posted on what is coming and when.  Thanks for all your support – since there is no pay, your support is the next best thing (and really appreciated).

Semper Fi

Sounds great man and thanks for the update. You have my full support notworthy.gif