Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Windows XP Pro users read-

Copied&pasted from an ISP forum which in turn was copied and pasted from "LOCKERGNOME TIPS" whatever that may be smile.gif

Note this is for XP Pro only, not applicable to the home version.............

Are you "at home" with your broadband connection? No pun intended. Windows XP may be cutting 20% off the top. Unless your computer is a server of sorts, it has been recommended that you turn off QoS (Quality of Service). As Lockergnomie Leslie Smith relays: "The QoS 20% reservation in XP is mostly for its services - like Automatic Updates and various server functions. This sort of thing is done by Windows XP through the Network component known as the QoS Packet Scheduler. Look in the Properties page of your connection under My Network Places. XP still reserves this bandwidth for itself even if you don't have QoS running. To get that reserved bandwidth back, enter "GPEDIT.MSC" from the Start Menu's Run command to bring up the Group Policy Editor. Then, look under Administrative Templates \ Network \ QOS Packet Scheduler. Right-click on the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" option and select Properties. Enable it. NOTE: enabling this won't limit your bandwidth, it just turns on the component that allows you to change the amount reserved. Now, change the amount reserved to 0% and click OK. Some systems may need to reboot to see the effect. This won't increase the speed from your ISP, but will speed up overall throughput on your PC.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Jan. 29 2002,02:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you "at home" with your broadband connection?<span id='postcolor'>

in other words, it has nothing to do with dialup? or is that affected as well?

AFAIK it's applicable to any type of internet connection, either way I've set it to 0% on my puter just in case smile.gif

mine doesent have QOS Packet Scheduler under administrative/network in gpedit.msc..

yes I have xp-pro.

confused.gif

Are you logged in as Admin? Do you have more than one user account?

I'm off to bed in a min so there's a chance I won't see your reply until tomorrow night (sorry sad.gif) If it's any help at all (I doubt it, but one never knows) here's a screenshot of how it looks for me..........

qos.jpg

Ok I called my buddy Mike. he is the systems admin for the local school district, I asked him and what he told me waas that YES it does reserve the ABILITY to use 20% of yer bandwith in the event of a critical update/transfer.. but unless one is taking place it does nothing.. he said it doesent cunt into your bandwith ANY unless there is a critical update that needs to be downloaded.. and that you have 100% of yer bandwith the rest of the time..

I cant say I disagree.. because if I was missing 20% of my bandwith I would know it.. thats about 25K (kiloBYTES.. not bits) that would be missing.. and I dont see that, I still hit my max DL speed of 126K a second quite oftin.. it I was missing 20% it would never go over 100... and I would be pissed.

OK, I found it... my PC is set up for single user only.. there is no "admin", just me.. I still have all the admin tools and shit (and can use them).. I just done have an admin login option..

and yea I found it, I wasnt looking in right place.. mine was "not specified" but I went ahead and enabled it and et it at 0

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Jan. 29 2002,01:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">he said it doesent cunt into your bandwith ANY unless there is a critical update that needs to be downloaded..  <span id='postcolor'>

That type of language just isn't acceptable on these forums sad.gif There are women and children present mad.gif

LOL that was some typo eh bud wink.gif

LOL poor poor Wobble, he's been on his best behaviour all night then one lapse and his true self shows through wink.gif hehehe

ROFLOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Freudian slip i guess!

LAMO!!!!

It is also important to understand how Windows calculates these numbers.

It reserves a percentage of the raw bandwidth offered by the network interface, which is usually 10Mbit or 100Mbit. Windows will only throttle network throughput when the volume goes up to 80% of that AND QoS is being used.

So, if you have a cable or DSL connection and need to transfer at a whopping 1 or 2Mbit, you aren't getting close to the cut-off point where Windows would want to cap the throughput.