Sign in to follow this  
Lobanak

Geforce4 too old?

Just got the following error:

Cannot create 3D device:

Adapter 0 (Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8x) Fullscreen

Resolution 800x600, format X8R8G8BB/A8R8G8BB/D24S8, refresh 75Hz.

Error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

Is my card too old?

Yes, Geforce 4 only handles up to DirectX 8. ArmA requires DirectX9. Minimum specs specify at least a Geforce 6600GT.

damn.... so all the x-mas money is away for buying a new card :-(

You need a card with SM2.0 capability. That means GF FX-series or higher. The GF4-series only have SM1.0. I strongly recommend a GF7800-series or higher.

You need a card with SM2.0 capability.

For the not-so-technical users:

SM2.0 means that you need Shader Model 2.0 supported by your video card. Sometimes this is (wrongly?) reffered as Pixel shader 2, Vertex shader 2 or similar.

So check your video card specs before you buy the game.

It doesnt run on my radeon 9000pro mobility too sad_o.gif No Arma for me until I have tim to build a total new PC...

Yes, Geforce 4 only handles up to DirectX 8.  ArmA requires DirectX9.  Minimum specs specify at least a Geforce 6600GT.

I have a GeForce4 440 Go, and it runs latest DirectX9c I believe, not sure if it will run AA cus I haven't got it yet. smile_o.gif

Yes, Geforce 4 only handles up to DirectX 8. ArmA requires DirectX9. Minimum specs specify at least a Geforce 6600GT.

I have a GeForce4 440 Go, and it runs latest DirectX9c I believe, not sure if it will run AA cus I haven't got it yet. smile_o.gif

It will not. Your OS is running DX9c, but your GC isn't supporting them.

Quote[/b] ]

It will not. Your OS is running DX9c, but your GC isn't supporting them.

Yes it is being supported through software, but your hardware doesnt support it. Perfomance in this kind of situation is generally crappy.

add the command -dxlevel 7 after youre shortcut

This does NOT work, you've been told this before, so STOP spreading false information.

Minimum specs specify at least a Geforce 6600GT.

Not true.. That's pretty much the recommended specs. The minimum specs specify a Geforce FX card.

To be honest - I use 6600GT on AMD 3000+ system and it barely handles the task... I recommend at least 7600 or 7900GT for playing ArmA.

add the command -dxlevel 7 after youre shortcut

Spreading lies like that in a troubleshooting thread will earn you a post restriction and increased warning level next time mad_o.gif

would a ATI 9200 AGP wth 12 mb memory be good enough to run ArmA, cause i really wanna now before da game comes out here in AUstralia.

Better a card with 512MB ram, an Geforce 7600GS or GT.

The GeForce 7600GS with 512MB is not expensive, and can handle ArmA very well. wink_o.gif

You can buy an Asus radeon X1950 (256Mb) for less than Å140. It runs ArmA really well! smile_o.gif

#C

My first post on this very forum smile_o.gif

Well, some say "ahh, this card sucks for this game.. like Nvidia 6800, or Nvidia 7800"

And some say "This card runs perfectly on this game. High settings with good performance (the same cards)"

Well now i wonder, which is true ?

I will get a 7900GTX (512mb) for ArmA. Just hoping it will be enough.. biggrin_o.gif

My first post on this very forum smile_o.gif

Well, some say "ahh, this card sucks for this game.. like Nvidia 6800, or Nvidia 7800"

And some say "This card runs perfectly on this game. High settings with good performance (the same cards)"

Well now i wonder, which is true ?

I will get a 7900GTX (512mb) for ArmA. Just hoping it will be enough.. biggrin_o.gif

nice card. BUT if i was you i'd wait for the 8X00 series from Nvidia. the 8800 is a demon and the other versions ill be not as expensive.

PS - i have a 7800GTX and it runs ArmA smooth @ 1024x768 most option set to normal/high with AA off.

Well, some say "ahh, this card sucks for this game.. like  Nvidia 6800, or Nvidia 7800"

Well all I can say is that I had a 6800GS 256mb card and it barely ran ArmA, I had to go low on most settings. I changed to a 7900GT 256mb and now I run most settings high + low antialiazing AND resolution 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768. Besides the graph card my specs are now AMD 64 4000+ 2GB PC3200 ram.

Edit: The 7900 GTX you're getting will make LOVE with ArmA biggrin_o.gif Oh yeah, and welcome.gif

would a ATI 9200 AGP wth 12 mb memory be good enough to run ArmA, cause i really wanna now before da game comes out here in AUstralia.

Not by a longshot.

For my new computer im considering either an x1950xt 256mb or an x1900xt 512mb. Would ArmA benefit by the extra ram or should I just save money with the x1950? I put ArmA in bold as its the main game I intend to play.

i have a 7800gt(oc) 1500mb ram and an amd 4800x2. when i first got arma i was running 1gb ram and it was stuttery on high settings. i since increased it to 1.5gb and now it runs smooth on highest settings! would recomend the increase did wonders for me thinking of going all out 4gb expensive though.