Sign in to follow this  
jasono

Dedicated Server Software

Hi

Does anyone know of any dedicated server software been/being released yet or soon?

I've seen some servers are up and running according to what people have been saying, but how? Are they running the game in server mode?

I also read that the server software is being released with Gold version, so should be released on the 30th?

Cheers

JasonO biggrin_o.gif

My guess is they are running with the -server option on the exe. See the Biki

My guess is they are running with the -server option on the exe. See the Biki

Yes, but we need independent files. But I think there is already mentioned often enough by BIS that they are working on it, so let's give it some time smile_o.gif

Your mistaken. You can run the standard OFP exe in dedicated server mode without the dedicated exe. Since Suma created that article I would assume the same is true for ArmA.

are you sure the -server command works in ofp?

*testing*

edit: ah you are right. never knew that lol. goodnight.gif

Your mistaken. You can run the standard OFP exe in dedicated server mode without the dedicated exe. Since Suma created that article I would assume the same is true for ArmA.

I think sickboy was trying to say that - though there's no absolute need since you can start the server with your client copy - in the end we need the dedicated server to run on game servers; otherwise you'd need a DVD drive and a copy of ArmA to run a dedicated server.

right!

a dedicated server needs to run without the DVD confused_o.gif

Of course they will release standalone server software. They stated that ArmA is made primary for MP gaming, so it would just be nonsense and wouldn't make any sense if they don't.

Would be a waste of time optimizing the engine for MP, and then leave out many of the game server companies that require dedi server .exe for them to have the game in their bundle.

I saw a screenshot of the "ArmA server console" ages ago.

serverrun.jpg

So I hope this will be released soon.

Sure you can run the game with the -server but not if your server hasn't got a DVD drive our you can't go down to the hoster and get the disc inserted. Specially the Czech version and it's protection. It would require the DVD to be mounted to work.

I saw a screenshot of the "ArmA server console" ages ago.

That picture is exactly the same as when you run arma with -server biggrin_o.gif

The server programs are probably just the same, we just need it independent without copy protection, but as said.. they are working on it, so lets give em some time smile_o.gif

German copy uses securom which means we can't host dedi with that either banghead.gif . We need a no-cd server.exe.

This way or another... we need them dedicated server files smile_o.gif

Specially since the German version will require the disc as well on the server.

Yeah, we really need it.

Multiplayer is sortof dead now since there are no good server.

It's a bit pointless to fight when the host shuts down the server after 5 min. smile_o.gif

hmmmm...if there is no no-cd server.exe when the German ArmA version gets out in the stores, then i will have to buy another ArmA version to get a server running...

argl...k another 45euro just to get a server... confused_o.gif

as mentioned before a linux version is pretty much apreciated asap.

and there will be for sure a solution like it was for ofp ;-)

at least I trust in BIS.

It's a bit pointless to fight when the host shuts down the server after 5 min. smile_o.gif

That's nonsense, 6thSense.eu, Dragon's Den(or sth similair) and now also SES are up, non stop. And that's next to those 5 minutes on/off servers biggrin_o.gif

_VooDoo @ Nov. 17 2006,14:53)]as mentioned before a linux version is pretty much apreciated asap.

sadly that will take a bit...

firstly the multiplayer needs some patches to be mainly bugfree...hehe

A linux version will come for sure, the question is only when...

so we have to get a Win server for the beginning... crazy_o.gif

This is a paste of some info I received today...don't hang me on it...

Quote[/b] ]- How large is the dedicated server in MB?

Full Installation about 3.5GB.

We need this for collision calculation, penetration vlaues that are in the models

- What bandwith is required?

We think about 32 kbit/s per player (including the ingame VoIP)

- What will the CPU load be on the server?

No idea, try it...

- Witch Windows OS is required on the Server (Win200, XP etc)?

This shouldn't matter since the dedicated runs on linux as well...

That's nonsense, 6thSense.eu, Dragon's Den(or sth similair) and now also SES are up, non stop. And that's next to those 5 minutes on/off servers biggrin_o.gif

SES dedicated server is NOT up.

We are running one from a home connection for now.

The problem that we have is our dedicated server can only use a USB-DVD, no good for starforoce. We have a spare copy of ArmA for the server, we have a server sat in a datacenter ready, we just need a suitable release from BIS notworthy.gif

Would be a shame to have to buy a German version and non-bis realeased no-DVD.exe but this will require some fast action from BIS.

PLEASE give us a release date for a dedicated server, or some other solution to no needing the DVD in a dedicated server xmas_o.gif

SES dedicated server is NOT up.

We are running one from a home connection for now.

K my bad, saw SES server up, hence ... smile_o.gif

But same goes for 6th Sense, homeserver only (until proper ded server files come out), but dedicated. Suffices until the game hits the Masses smile_o.gif

With the German download release now it should be piss simple to get an Arm A copy on a server. *Crosses fingers*

The way I think of it is..pay for the download of the legal game, download it from your box with its 100mb connection or whatever. Install the full game on the box which needs no CD as its a bloomin download. Then run the server as the way suggested before with the cofig line thingy.

I tell you what lads. Because I love you all I will give it a try and then post back telling you if it works.

If it doesnt..there goes 45 euro's..teee heee