Sign in to follow this  
Karel85

Germany 1985's Editor Update released

The Germany 1985 Mod Team is proud to present you the first Editor Update Addon for Armed Assault.

It contains all hidden buildings and units, all in all more than 400 objects.

The translation is not yet done, later versions may also contain protected classes for OFPR compatibility as well as not yet configed models.

Get it here (with registration) or here (no registration, thanks to armed-assault.de).

Have fun!

Would be nice if you didn't have to register just to download it icon_rolleyes.gif

Great work!

Is there any pictures? I'm still waiting for my German version to come smile_o.gif

PS: Time of "Addons & Mods: Complete" I think

Got a question to the authors of this addon:

What tool did you use to make an ArmA compatible .bin for your addon?

Help help.gif

Little note,

if you run your server or you run the game with -server don't use this add on. The content is already in the game so the server doesn't need it but if the server has this in it's add on directory it might crash (well, it does here). wink_o.gif

Got a question to the authors of this addon:

What tool did you use to make an ArmA compatible .bin for your addon?

Help help.gif

He used a tool developed by a friend, but I'm sorry that we're not allowed to give it away. He does not yet want to release it, maybe later. And no, we're not trying to set up a "new elite" (p3dedit whistle.gif ).

@SA: How comes? I'll report it to Karel, so that he can test it. It has to run with servers! wow_o.gif Can you give some closer info? When does it crash? Do you get an error message?

hello sniper andy, thanks for the bug report, but i can't recreate the bug, for me the server does not crash... confused_o.gif

Is this addon really necessary at all, as it doesn't really add any new classes but derives new ones from existing BIS ones and just adds scope=public?

Alternative option would be to make addon that redefines and modifies scope for existing BIS classes - with that solution only mission authors would need the addon as long as it doesn't add any new base classes.

hello sniper andy, thanks for the bug report, but i can't recreate the bug, for me the server does not crash... confused_o.gif

Okay,

so you run ArmA wiht -server on your system and they you launch it as "game" as well. When you then have players joining it crashes for us when the mission is loading. I will get back to my mate and see if I can get the crash log if it is still present.

We had it happen yesterday several times and after we removed your works the problem was solved. So the guy who runs the server decided to throw the editor upgrade in a mod folder.

I will check with him again but this is how it happened yesterday...

Is this addon really necessary at all, as it doesn't really add any new classes but derives new ones from existing BIS ones and just adds scope=public?

Alternative option would be to make addon that redefines and modifies scope for existing BIS classes - with that solution only mission authors would need the addon as long as it doesn't add any new base classes.

Thats a very good point actually, would make a lot more sense (use stuff that everyone already has) rather than adding another addon (although only small) to the required addons list.

thanks andy! gonna try it.

@feer&dm: this is only a preview version, later versions will also include yet unconfiged models as well as some ofpr compability stuff (to make mission conversion easier).

Thats a very good point actually, would make a lot more sense (use stuff that everyone already has) rather than adding another addon (although only small) to the required addons list.

No, the whole point is that classes that are not in the public scope can not be used at all, so if the mission maker has a modified version which enables those classes then the missions will crash on the pc's that don't have the modification, which leads us back at the purpose of this addon; making the not-usable objects... usable.

If you gonna have ppl with and without modified bis files you gonna have a crazy mess... Hence putting this in an external addon is simply the best way to go, and ppl clearly can identify that they need an addon and which one smile_o.gif

This is just exactly as what editorupdate102 did for OFP, so greatjob!

Quote[/b] ]This is just exactly as what editorupdate102 did for OFP, so greatjob!

I might be wrong here but from my experience the editorupdate102 unlocks content that is present in OF already. For example the tree with the wooden stand on it. Now if the editor places this in a scenario and you have players playing it who do not have the upgrade they can still play the mission as far as I remember. Since it is objects that are present already in the OFP core.

You only need the upgrade so you can place the objects in your editor... then again, it's been a while since I had my OFP launched.

But this worked in VBS...

No, the whole point is that classes that are not in the public scope can not be used at all, so if the mission maker has a modified version which enables those classes then the missions will crash on the pc's that don't have the modification, which leads us back at the purpose of this addon; making the not-usable objects... usable.

There are three different scopes, private (which cannot be used), protected (usable but not visible in editor) and public. All those classes in G85 editor addon derives from are in protected scope. Obviously they can be used in campaign for example and they work just fine if mission.sqm is edited manually by hand.

Original OFP Editor Addon enabled classes that were private classes and only used to give basic definitions for p3d's used in island .wrp's.

IIRC enabling advanced editor mode would unlock protected classes in editor in OFP, unfortunately as far as I know ArmA doesn't have such editor mode.

IIRC enabling advanced editor mode would unlock protected classes in editor in OFP, unfortunately as far as I know ArmA doesn't have such editor mode.

No, it didn't unlock them, as far as I remember... wink_o.gif

By that logic, how does the campaign and/or any of the missions work then? Since they use most of these objects...

Just as Feer has said, you're only changing the scope from protected to public, which means that the objects are useable to everyone, but ONLY the mission maker NEEDS to have the addon - since all classnames are BIS, all files are BIS and every entry in the config is BIS.

If you gonna have ppl with and without modified bis files you gonna have a crazy mess... Hence putting this in an external addon is simply the best way to go, and ppl clearly can identify that they need an addon and which one

Thats the joy of the class based inheritance system. The actual BIS files are never modified in anyway, your editor addon simply overwrites the scope allowing it to be seen in the editor.

Doing it this way is actually LESS of a "crazy mess" than it currently is with OFP. This way you dont NEED any addon, whereas in OFP and with the current version of the editor you NEED the addon, which leads to the inevitable problems of "whos editor addon do I need?" and "Which version?" Neither of which would happen if you simply over-wrote the scope.

Quote[/b] ]Alternative option would be to make addon that redefines and modifies scope for existing BIS classes - with that solution only mission authors would need the addon as long as it doesn't add any new base classes.

same thought here.

i suppose none of the classes you unlocked were private before.

it might not be such a clean solution, but a mission maker only

addon would be better as long as you don't add new content.

good stuff nevertheless thumbs-up.gif

There are three different scopes, private (which cannot be used), protected (usable but not visible in editor) and public. All those classes in G85 editor addon derives from are in protected scope. Obviously they can be used in campaign for example and they work just fine if mission.sqm is edited manually by hand.

Original OFP Editor Addon enabled classes that were private classes and only used to give basic definitions for p3d's used in island .wrp's.

K, didn't do enough research as it seems smile_o.gif

I thought the objects were only used on the islands themselves, as such I thought they were not usable as (editor) placed objects within missions, no matter which scope they are (unless public).

I was testing around a bit last weekend, and couldn't use some objects, remembered that such things caused crashes on OFP etc.., I guess they weren't scope 'protected', but 'private' as such I came to my conclussion smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]same thought here.

i suppose none of the classes you unlocked were private before.

it might not be such a clean solution, but a mission maker only

addon would be better as long as you don't add new content.

After reading the replies, I agree smile_o.gif

Altough mission makers are then going to need to delete the name-of-addon from addons[] and addonsAuto[] arrays from the mission.sqm, or would you just take the bis addon, change the scopes and put that in an e.g @edit folder?