Sign in to follow this  
Architeuthis

Cool , new Bi project

http://www.independencelost.com/

Introduction

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

East Timor has earned a bloody reputation out of all proportion to its size. This small territory is a former Portuguese colony which Indonesia invaded in 1975 in the midst of decolonisation. The move had tacit support from Western powers convinced by Jakarta that East Timor risked becoming a communist satellite. Indonesia's formal annexation of the territory in 1976 was never accepted by the United Nations.

In December 1975 the Indonesian army invaded the town of Batugadé. The East Timorese resisted this invasion. On 7 December 1975 the Indonesian army landed in Dili, one day after US President Gerald Ford and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger departed from a summit meeting in Jakarta. The invasion commenced with a naval bombardment, followed by paratroopers and finally beach landings. Civilians were killed, shops looted, women raped and public executions took place on the wharf. On 10 December 1975 the town of Baucau was captured, followed by Liquica and Maubara, where further mass killings of civilians reportedly took place. One estimation is that within four months up to 100, 000 people were killed. A Portuguese source claims that 44% of the pre-occupation population was killed between the invasion and 1981.

A provisional Timorese government was immediately established, consisting of APODETI ministers. A petition was signed by 28 conscripted delegates asking President Suharto to grant East Timor integration with Indonesia. On 17 July 1976 Suharto signed the Bill of Integration and declared East Timor to be Indonesia’s 27th province.

On the evening of 27th October 1991, at a church service in the Church of St.Antonio de Motael, 18 year old Sebastio Gomes Rangel was shot and killed by ABRI soldiers. One other Timorese was also killed during that evening. At a memorial mass in Dili on 12thNovember 1991, as the procession moved to the Santa Cruz cemetery, some in the crowd carried pro-independence flags and banners. During this march, seven Western journalists, including US citizens Allan Nairn and Amy Goodman, witnessed Indonesian soldiers open fire on hundreds of unarmed demonstrators at the cemetery. A British photographer actually captured the rampage on video. Nairn and Goodman, who had tried to place themselves between the soldiers and the people, were threatened at gunpoint and beaten. Many of the wounded were reportedly taken away on military vehicles and killed. Initial eyewitness accounts claimed at least 100 people were killed; subsequent investigation by an East Timorese organization (Peace Is Possible in East Timor) has identified 271 victims by name. It is also estimated that 382 people were wounded and 250 disappeared. An Indonesian enquiry found that 19 people were killed and that the incident was in response to rioting by the mourners.

On 30 August 1999 a UN administered ballot resulted in a 78.5% vote by an estimated 98.6% of the eligible population against greater autonomy within Indonesia. As a result, the Indonesian military and pro-Indonesia militias engulfed East Timor in violence. Hundreds of East Timorese were killed. Estimates state that 75% of the population were again displaced either into the mountains or to West Timor. Those in the mountains faced starvation and those that fled into West Timor (estimated at 200, 000) were forcibly held in squalid refugee camps. Widespread looting and destruction of property occurred throughout the country, including the destruction of in excess of 50% of homes in Dili. It was reported by International newspapers that 145 people were killed in Dili within 48 hours of the ballot declaration.

On 15 September 1999 the UN Security Council authorised a multi-national peace enforcement mission in East Timor (INTERFET), to restore peace and security and to facilitate humanitarian relief efforts. 7000 troops led by Australia secured East Timor, with the exception of the Oecusse enclave – which was secured in mid-October 1999. International relief efforts were put in place and displaced people were permitted to return to their communities. Indonesian forces were withdrawn from East Timor. On 20 October 1999 the Indonesian Parliament resolved to formally ratify East Timor’s separation from Indonesia allowing the UN Security Council to approve the establishment of a UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET).

UNTAET’s principal role is to facilitate the transition of East Timor to independence. It is responsible for the administration of East Timor including the exercise of all legislative and executive authority, the administration of justice and the organising of elections. In February 2000 INTERFET formally handed over administration to UNTAET.

By its resolution 1338 of 31 January 2001, the Security Council extended the mandate of UNTAET until 31 January 2002, bearing in mind the possible need for adjustments related to the independence timetable[/qoute]

wow.gif

So this is where the recent screen shots have been coming from. This isn't VBS1.

OK. It's got Seventh's signature on the bottom of the home page. Sith and DnA, what's this? Another Operation Vietnam?

What is this and why is it says that copyright belongs to BIS. this can be BIs work. I don't know. I won't say nothing but it sounds very cool.

I saw Malden on one picture, though. I guess this is our expansion pack. I don't know. I'm maybee wrong. I really don't know.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 28 2002,21:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So this is where the recent screen shots have been coming from. This isn't VBS1.

OK. It's got Seventh's signature on the bottom of the home page. Sith and DnA, what's this? Another Operation Vietnam?<span id='postcolor'>

Opnetwork is Seventh's also, what i don't get is that before ppl found the website they acted ast though it was new enws to them wow.gif .

It sure was news to me, I wondered why I hadn't seen Seventh around for a while wink.gif

Crafty Aussies *shakes hand in the air while grumbling*

Graphic are the same as in OFP. If BIS is working on this than it should be an expansion pack or an addon.

Textures are alot nicer and looks asthough they have fixed the physics ie able to land on a ship.

Hopefully you get to play Aussie SAS, get to kick some Indonesian ass! Then go back to base for a few Fosters.

have ya ever cranked up the RES on OFP.. and maxed out all the settings.. it looks the same.

Good morning to you too....now get back to work!! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Jan. 29 2002,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">have ya ever cranked up the RES on OFP.. and maxed out all the settings.. it looks the same.<span id='postcolor'>

Yea it looks ok but not as crisp as those textures, in full everything the textures look a little washed out.

I dont understand how any of those screenshots can be from independence lost, seeing as australia didnt get any help from the marines, and they are all marine standard vehicles, and we dont have a single vehicle there in our arsenal, except for the chinook, which is in mothballs.......

There isn't a single page on the whole site that explains what this is. That's weird.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Jan. 29 2002,16:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont understand how any of those screenshots can be from independence lost, seeing as australia didnt get any help from the marines, and they are all marine standard vehicles, and we dont have a single vehicle there in our arsenal, except for the chinook, which is in mothballs.......<span id='postcolor'>

I think the campaign is a what if as the newspaper is dated 2001 on the website.