Sign in to follow this  
esti_the_big

AA, windows vista, 64 bit?

I was just wondering if AA has any problems running on windows vista? I thought I read in some other thread that running AA on a 64 bit windows Vista caused a lower fps... Does AA even have 64 bit support or is it going to be added sometime in the future?

ArmA does not support 64-bit instructions, however, in Vista 64bit, as with XP 64bit, you can run 32bit applications aswell. In XP 64bit this sometimes generated problems, but Vista should be improved at this!

Me and a friend of mine both can run ArmA on Vista 32bit, both with ATI graphics cards.

Altough the drivers do not yet seem performance optimized as with XP.

Keep in mind that Vista isn`t final right now.

The newest versions are release candidates, the drivers aren`t final too.

I am playing Armed Assault on Vista 64.

And I must say I am hardly satisfied.The editor flickers alot and it almost becomes unreadable(will post screens later) and I suspect I am experiencing considerable slodowns by comparing the FPS I get with others with similar specs running on Windows XP 32.My system specs are:

Amd Opteron 165 running at 2.0 Ghz

1 gb ram

Geforce 6600 GT

Game works well at:

800x600

Low Post Processing

1.200 m distance

Normal Textures

High AntiAliasing

High Shading

Very Low Shadows

Of course thats alot better then what I was expecting with using beta drivers and emulating a 32 bit application game with windows on windows.I also suspect Armed Assault isnt tweaked to reap the benefits of a dual core centric system.

Keep in mind that Vista isn`t final right now.

The newest versions are release candidates, the drivers aren`t final too.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you smile_o.gif

At long last, the final version of Windows Vista is here.

--Paul Thurrott

November 8, 2006

Source: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rtm_galleries.asp

I was speaking in my post about the final version of Vista, not the RC and/or Betas smile_o.gif

flickerbuglg5.jpg

Here is the flicker bug in Windows Vista 64 Ive mentioned.It makes the editor unusable.As you can notice I cant see any texture of the ground.Same thing sometimes happens when I bring up the menu in game.

Here is the flicker bug in Windows Vista 64 Ive mentioned.It makes the editor unusable.As you can notice I cant see any texture of the ground.Same thing sometimes happens when I bring up the menu in game.

Which driver r u using and which card?

works perfectly fine on vista 32 bit build 5744 with the ati rc2 drivers (mobility x1600). Also not much of a performance hit compared to friend with same laptop, especially if set the the windows classic theme.

Until Vista is readily available I don't think there's much point having a thread about it, not until the ArmA:TS forum is created at least.