Sign in to follow this  
jammydodger

Performance Tweaking Experiences

lol why have you photoshop opened while playing arma or firefox icon_rolleyes.gif

Were you thinking the same thing as I was?

whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

yup biggrin_o.gif

as said before:

I would always close programs which are not needed, no matter how much RAM I have.

stisoas can you say how much extra fps there are with that -maxmem=xxx command?

lol why have you photoshop opened while playing arma or firefox icon_rolleyes.gif

Were you thinking the same thing as I was?

whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

Yes, I was thinking the self same thing....

a lot of people on here will be running defrag and using photoshop while playing ArmA, wonder why? mad_o.gif

Anyway if memory is an issue and you have windows XP, why not just use the control panel / administrative tools / services and halt all those services you don't need, such as web publishing, UPnP, NetBIOS helper, Server etc....

Or ofcourse, rather than jumping on the "omg pirate!" bandwagon, he could ofcourse be taking screenshots... icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like a good tweak. As well, I =`d be curious in seeing how many Services peeps got running in the background still..... that don`t need to be running. I have about 14.

Many peeps I know have 40 to 50. Tweaking CAN help alot of the problems I think.

Sounds like a good tweak.  As well, I =`d be curious in seeing how many Services peeps got running in the background still..... that don`t need to be running. I have about 14.

Many peeps I know have 40 to 50.  Tweaking CAN help alot of the problems I think.

Indeed, i have 1,5GB, after booting up i use +-125mb, the least i can get is 97mb. When i fill it up to 500-600mb i really feel the difference in performance, even though i still dont use all of my ram.

And hell, why should you have all those programs running in the background? Just takes longer to boot your PC (+its bad for your FPS, but you dont seem to believe that -.-'wink_o.gif..

(Try start->execute->msconfig and get rid off all those little programs which boot when you boot your PC, and do nothing but eat ram/cpy cycles)

Or ofcourse, rather than jumping on the "omg pirate!" bandwagon, he could ofcourse be taking screenshots... icon_rolleyes.gif

Are you talking to me?

Just that, as an adult 14 years your senior, I don't really understand your lingo. Are you implying something?

EDIT: patronising shite removed. It's been a lousy day....

As for HDR, I dont think you can turn it off,

Shame, it hurts my eyes sad_o.gif

right . it hurts :/

Two tweaking threads merged together, when there's a thread about tweaking you post in there, you don't start another tweaking thread, that's just annoying wink_o.gif

argh thread merge just when i was posting about that ram tweak smile_o.gif

i myself use -nosplash -maxmem= since i own ArmA smile_o.gif

i monitored this ingame using 3rd party software, that ArmA uses VRAM / texture mem a lot but somehow not all free memory

(on configs with 1.5 - 3GB ram it used around 1/4-1/2 from free value)

so value 1024 or more "kicks" usage of memory and decreases loading from HDD to minimum ...

also -window -x= -y= for windowed mode helps a lot IF you experience crashing when alt+tab ...

Quote[/b] ]also -window -x= -y= for windowed mode helps a lot IF you experience crashing when alt+tab ...

How's the windowed mode anyways? Is the "windows cursor" invisible and does it get locked when the window is active? (as in cursor doesn't escape from ArmAss to desktop and no annoying extra cursor)

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions lads, I'll give the AAZ'ers a link to this now.

And sorry if it was me who created a new thread Placebo.

Cheers

How do you measure FPS?

Fraps is a good way to measure FPS. Get in on www.fraps.com

Quote[/b] ]also -window -x= -y= for windowed mode helps a lot IF you experience crashing when alt+tab ...

How's the windowed mode anyways? Is the "windows cursor" invisible and does it get locked when the window is active? (as in cursor doesn't escape from ArmAss to desktop and no annoying extra cursor)

windows cursor only activates after menus (ESC) are opened ... so window is active, game "pause" in SP mode when using other appz, in MP it run at background fine ...

any change to resolution, FSAA, AF etc causes game reload textures but it's quite fast ...

to be fair i was impressed with windowed mode (most other games suck on that lol)

Just a quick question, does ArmA "support" dual core cpu's?

MfG Lee

negitive

What a shame confused_o.gif

And that helps how? huh.gif

No performance gained..

I really hope BIS would patch ArmA for dc at some point, the game would only benefit from it..

About tweaking;

The singlemost powerful app, I ever used (before SP-gaming sessions;..not MP! ) is called

EndItAll2 (google it up)

Nutshell: It provides the option to shutdown/forcekill all

apps/processes (of your choice) with one click.

After your gaming-session, you *must* reboot your PC!

Dont use before MP-session! (or exclude processes essential

for networking)

Much like fiddling around with MS-config, but mean 'n dirty.

-

Disclaimer: Its an 'dangerous' little app! smile_o.gif

Make *sure* you know exactly, what is running on your PC

and what processes absolutely cannot be killed

(exclude those from EndItAll2 forced process-kill! )

Do *not* use this app, if you are not certain about your action.

-

It will leave you with ~16-19 processses left running

(= absolute barebone) and in addition with the -maxmem=x parameter

specified above, will maximize all available ressources of your PC for your ARMA experience.

Guess, where I first learned about the 'difference' it makes?

OFP(fullblown with addons)

whistle.gifsmile_o.gif

Just a quick question, does ArmA "support" dual core cpu's?

MfG Lee

negitive

It benefits from dual core to some degree, it's not just designed explicitly with dual core CPUs in mind (not that any game in market right now really is, apart from some Doom 3 engine optimizations and demo versions of Source and Unreal engines). It will however spread load between both cores, generally when playing I have both CPUs running at around 60-70% load (so in theory you gain ~20-40% compared to similar speed single core setup).

Partially it's due to Nvidia drivers taking advantage of multiple CPUs, but ArmA seems to be running couple of threads in parallel, though it doesn't do anything like running multiple AI threads to balance load.

Has anyone with 2gb of ram tried higher settings for maxmem like 1200 instad of 1024.