Sign in to follow this  
POISON

ARMA DISSAPOINTMENT

We've played CTF on Thursday and we've enjoyed it... a lot. Of course, we had to hide a couple of minutes from Abrams that blew our T72s to the pieces, but we soon regained the area and stole 2 flags before the timer hit zero.

Too bad that I've locked the server, because couple of guys disconnected and nobody couldn't join us after that.

I dunno what would the dissapointment be, but we loved CTF as much as the new Hunting mode, not to mention teamdm & coop that really make this game much better than anything there's out there now.

What makes ArmA soldier control being that different from OFP soldier controls so it seems the game is totally different for some people ?

I really HAVE to agree on that.

In OFP you press W to walk forward, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press A to strafe left, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press S to walk backward, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press D to strafe right, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press Shift and W to sprint forward, in ArmA you tap W twice then hold it.

In OFP you cant walk slowly and aim, in ArmA you press Shift and W.

In OFP you cant lean (without mods), in ArmA you press Q or E.

etc, etc.

In OFP you look around/aim with the mouse, in ArmA you do the same.

AND if you really dont like that, you can... re-map the controls!!!

How is that so earth-shatteringly different to OFP that you can no-longer play the game?

In OFP you press W to walk forward, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press A to strafe left, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press S to walk backward, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press D to strafe right, in ArmA you do the same.

In OFP you press Shift and W to sprint forward, in ArmA you tap W twice then hold it.

In OFP you cant walk slowly and aim, in ArmA you press Shift and W.

In OFP you cant lean (without mods), in ArmA you press Q or E.

etc, etc.

In OFP you look around/aim with the mouse, in ArmA you do the same.

AND if you really dont like that, you can... re-map the controls!!!

How is that so earth-shatteringly different to OFP that you can no-longer play the game?

In OFP you CAN walk, slowly and aim, press F, in ArmA you press Shift and W.

I don't understand if is a bug of the game or a my problem, but there is a mouse lag in Arma...

I am the only guy with this problem? confused_o.gif

In OFP you CAN walk, slowly and aim, press F, in ArmA you press Shift and W.

I stand corrected. Never knew about that, shows how much attention I pay tounge2.gif

In which case ArmA is even more similar to OFP...

well havent played ARMA yet, but personally I prefer

"slow weapon" changing, I liked the animations and restrictions of it, still I would like to see a quick move in AT launcher mode, like dropping weapon and hitting ground fast.

but on the other hand, I prefer "fast paced" controls, I mean I mapped E to sprint and W to run, and I should be able to run-sprint-run-walk just holding keys, Im sure its still possible in ARMA, I hope..

and Walking and shooting OFP was just nice, as long as you dont toggle kneel option, because V and F stacks.. and can get you confused sometimes, if V is on or F is on...

ON THE OTHER HAND ONLY THING FREAKS ME OUT HERE, is seeing that poor UI all over the place, OFP UI was perfect, why did they change it I dont understand, Map is screwed, squad display is screwed, command bar seems to be altered pretty much I cant evaluate it without using, but visually it seems pretty worked-DOWN to me

One thing most people are not considering is the development path this piece of software has taken.  It started as a game aimed at gamers.  It aimed to be more open and a little more realistic then the average game of the time, and it hit its mark and did well.

This then attracted the intrest of the military and other peace keeping groups.  Its became a training tool and where form follows function and realism is more important then flash or speed.  Most people can not reliably aim and fire a gun while moving at more then a slow walking pace, thats how it is here too.

Now its comes back to the game market and its more realistic less twich, which is exactly what the majority of us wanted and what alot of the mods for OFP tried to do.  It needs some work, there are a few things that could be added such as dropping from a dead run to prone but all in all I think its an improvment over OFP in the important areas as far as the on-foot potion of the games is concerned.

As for the Helos, BAS please get to work on those, they are completly atrocious.  They are wrong on several levels and are not what I would call anything close to realistic or simplistic arcade.  Nothing like an RC Helo, nothing like a EEAH/EECH helo and nothing like a BF2 helo.  They are at the same time overly sensitive and unresponsive, the are not coaded as weights suspended from a vectorable diverging cone of downward thrust as they should be and as a result feel disconected from the controls, the air and gravity.

Why in the hell does applying tail rotor input at speed cause roll and no yaw?  Why in the hell can a helo reatch 300mph and not tumble out of the sky due to rotor stall?  Why in the hell does the throttle/collective have such a slow and delayed effect on  lift?  To me it feels like they use a modified fixed wing physics and control system which just does not work for helos.

I don't understand if is a bug of the game or a my problem, but there is a mouse lag in Arma...

I am the only guy with this problem?  confused_o.gif

i used to get that in ofp early days when i had 512mb ram and geforcemx...i havent had it in arma.

I think it is up to mission designer how "fast" gameplay is going. Sahrani is very big Island so you must very likely travel large distances, howeverr it can be fixed by mission maker. What it has to do with new controls i dont know? Maybe u should try to get used to control more then.. since I can fire quite fast now, not to mention there is now handy leaning for CQB.

My biggest concern is the choppers!  tounge2.gif  Fix them please BIS before anything else! Flying choppers was one of my biggest joys in OFP, I also fly them in FSX and FS9 and a few other sims too ... OFP chopper flight dynamics was pretty close to the mark ... don't spoil it for anything less!  wink_o.gif

Sorry for OT  xmas_o.gif

RedKite: flying is much better (less arcadish) in ARMA, believe me wink_o.gif

snakebyte85: try putting the "deadzone" slider to the left in Options, that helped us.

I am the only guy with this problem? confused_o.gif

No, I have this problem too.

It doesn't always happen, sometimes no mouse lag at all.

An example of when it's most pronounced would be bringing up the scope. I can hit the second mouse button and sometimes it'll take a few seconds for the scope to come, actually sometimes it seems to fail to register that i hit the button at all.

In comparison I can hit 'V' and the scope comes up almost instantaneouly.

To me this is an issue, sure I can hit 'V' or whatever every time i want to do something that can be controlled by the mouse but ...

Other than that i have very few complaints so far with arma, I don't really understand where the argument about the control interface being so different from ofp comes in.

edit - icebreakr - just saw your reply, i'll give it a try, thanks .. wink_o.gif

RedKite: flying is much better (less arcadish) in ARMA, believe me wink_o.gif

Hmmm, that's contradictory to what I've heard and seen from videos! Guess I will just have to wait for the demo before I comment further! Thanks anyway for your reassurance!  smile_o.gif

the main pb in OFP chopper FM was braking.

in Arma , you can nearly realisticaly brake in put your nose up.

the overall visual chopper evolving in air is far better.

it's more "real".

the only pb i see is the rear rotor influence who tend to be reduced, with relation with your horizontal speed.

the more fast you fly , the less force has the rear rotor.

the main pb in OFP chopper FM was braking.

in Arma , you can nearly realisticaly brake in put your nose up.

the overall visual chopper evolving in air is far better.

it's more "real".

the only pb i see is the rear rotor influence who tend to be reduced, with relation with your horizontal speed.

the more fast you fly , the less force has the rear rotor.

I don't understand what you mean with braking...

Helo Braking with nose pitch up worked well in OFP. It even had the increased lift effect unless you reduced collective(power)

In a real helo the tail rotor effectiveness IS REDUCED as speed increases and flight becomes similar to fixed wing aircraft.

What worries me from the vids I've seen is that the helos are too fast in their yaw reaction (horizontal rotation) ie. they change direction too fast. This gives the impression of no mass or momentum and acts like a model helo.

yeah now we will not have noobs stealing choppers cos they cant fly, i will have to learn chopper flying all over again for my clan hehe

clan hehe

band.gifwink_o.gif Did they switch to a clan our are they still a squad? whistle.gif

opps /ban me :P

i dont get the differnce.. between the two :/

*Squad then tounge2.gif i hope nightmare takes over, will find out this sunday. irc

Well were finally getting views from ctf players and id like to thanks you for posting and offering there opinion.      

Im not going to totally rule out ctf in arma all im saying is the controls were alot easier in ofp for ctf players the way things are set out in arma isnt its gonna be much slower paced gaming and very carefull movements or positioning its just not going to be the same kind of play by a long shot.and all im thinking right now is i really hope there is a way to mod things to the way ofp was because ctf players really are going to need it.But for coop players this game is a real dream come true its absolutly amazing what bis has done on this.

by the way im talking infantry only ctf here not tanks n stuff coop clans play it that way lol.  biggrin_o.gif

like i said too many coop players in here biggrin_o.gif

Helo Braking with nose pitch up worked well in OFP.  It even had the increased lift effect unless you reduced collective(power)

In a real helo the tail rotor effectiveness IS REDUCED as speed increases and flight becomes similar to fixed wing aircraft.

What worries me from the vids I've seen is that the helos are too fast in their yaw reaction (horizontal rotation) ie. they change direction too fast.  This gives the impression of no mass or momentum and acts like a model helo.

Yes it did!

Correct!

Agreed!

I think a demo is called for before any further judgement, although I don't see how something can be different in a video than in the game! That MI-17 video frightened me! It didn't look like just a view angle shift but I could be wrong.  huh.gif

I think we digress!  xmas_o.gif

On one more thing on the choppers: in ArmA there is no persistent height setting with Q-Y keys, when you lower your "nose", you're gonna loose height. So you constantly have to fight for the right altitute with torque and keeping "the energy". For example, tight turns and breaking will bring you down very fast & hard.

Since FPS drop sharply when getting a lot of view on screen, some guys with low end PCs have problem, because controls are too fast and choppers plummet down very quickly. So, if you're in transport - make sure you have your cursor on "eject" command wink_o.gif btw one quite major bug: when you eject just a second before crash, the anim of parachute opens on the ground and you... err, survive. That sucks.

IceBreakr if you can continue this topic here I have a few questions like; do the different choppers behave differently i.e. Heavier choppers having a slower response to turning etc.?

I don't want to hijack this thread any longer!  wink_o.gif

by the way im talking infantry only ctf here not tanks n stuff coop clans play it that way lol.  biggrin_o.gif

like i said too many coop players in here biggrin_o.gif

Well, it's because CTF didn't really play off of the strong points of OFP.  You couldn't lean, the G36 had god-like accuracy (and killing power), and the game wasn't really geared for close quarters combat.

There is a multitude of games that offer the CTF game mode. So If you're going to play CTF, why do it in OFP?

Quote[/b] ]Ive really got to say this game is aimed souly at coop players / clans.

This was the truth for OFP as well.