Sign in to follow this  
strikeagle83

Jets in AA

Can someone explain to meh how the jets will work?

We'll have guided aa missiles for some nice dogfights and guided bomb for nice bombing?

the only "Jet" is the AV8B.

from what I have seen it will come in two versions:

AA and AG loadout.

then we have ye good old bis camel for nice slow dogfights and stuff.

Greets Evers

Ehm, the Harrier as it is now is definitly not a proper "dog fight" jet...

And I'm not mentioning the missing vertical control system of the Harrier, it flies just as a conventional jet. So why they implemented Harrier I have really no idea.

Let's wait some months for mods and patches...

I am curious about the top speed of the harrier in-game. In videos it doesn't fly quicker than aprox. 370km/h. Does anyone tested this already?

I love the game even more than OFP and i played that from day 1, however i find it almost impossible to controle the harrier its just so damn twitchy crazy_o.gif

However with these difficult controls comes the possibility that we will see more top-ace combat pilots standing out from the crowd and not see the average 14 years old kid trying to fly a jet.

I think that adjusting the controle settings for personal use will clear up most problems people have with them.

or fly with a joystick, as its so much more fun, also you can do barrel roles and loop the loops smile_o.gif

And I'm not mentioning the missing vertical control system of the Harrier, it flies just as a conventional jet. So why they implemented Harrier I have really no idea.

Not sure that's correct. I'm no plane officianado but I once saw a tele program saying that Harriers kicked the sh*t out of Argentine Mirages in the Falklands conflict due to massive handling superiority. It was a total surprise for the RAF (or Royal Navy?) pilots and was the reason we established air superiority early on in the war. Probably won us the war, in fact. Nothing else was going well at the time.

Of course, you wouldn't want to send them against modern Migs or F-16s but they can definately mix it up in the air.

or fly with a joystick, as its so much more fun, also you can do barrel roles and loop the loops smile_o.gif

try it without joystick, keyboard and mouse can do the tricks in ArmA as well tounge2.gif

it`s so much more fun when it goes wrong mad_o.gifrofl.gif

I'm surprised because the harrier was well implemented in VBS1 so I would have thought it would not be too much of a problem porting the STOL/VTOL they use in VBS1 to this engine, maybe the Dev's have discovered a problem that makes ArmA not so feature rich as everyone had hoped it would be huh.gif

I'm surprised because the harrier was well implemented in VBS1 so I would have thought it would not be too much of a problem porting the STOL/VTOL they use in VBS1 to this engine, maybe the Dev's have discovered a problem that makes ArmA not so feature rich as everyone had hoped it would be huh.gif

with such sentences you start spreading rumors icon_rolleyes.gif

maybe they have just not implemented it because BIS itself wasn't happy about the result.

And remember:

VBS was not made by BIS it was made by BIA wink_o.gif

Now that the game is out in some areas... Does anyone know how or if the harrier bombs are dumb or can be laser designated? I have only flown it once and didnt see anything..

I love the game even more than OFP and i played that from day 1, however i find it almost impossible to controle the harrier its just so damn twitchy

However with these difficult controls comes the possibility that we will see more top-ace combat pilots standing out from the crowd and not see the average 14 years old kid trying to fly a jet.

I think that adjusting the controle settings for personal use will clear up most problems people have with them.

1: Correct twitchy

2: Kids were brought up on computers if anyones going to  

control these its them. But most things that fly just suck to most people at the momment apart from cammel.

3: No it wont BIS need to fix it.

The jet physics pushes straight on far to much when pulling back, it feels like your going slow and the plane is falling down from underneath you like a stall at slow speeds. I have a heavily modified F-15 from OFP and got it into ArmA, the AI cant take off without damaging the plane everytime because they scrape the rear end onto the ground along the runway because the physics doesn't generate enough lift at speed. In OFP the AI fly these planes great and have no problem taking off and landing, they wont even attempt to land in ArmA just like the Harrier.

But overal for a player the F-15 handles better then the Harrier, atleast the roll rate is not so stupidly fast and it turns better wthout having to use so much elevator which is why the Harrier always wants to nose dive in turns. I've allready looked at the Harrier config and the roll rate and elevation can be easilly made better, but the physics are not going to change doing so.

Not sure that's correct. I'm no plane officianado but I once saw a tele program saying that Harriers kicked the sh*t out of Argentine Mirages in the Falklands conflict due to massive handling superiority. It was a total surprise for the RAF (or Royal Navy?) pilots and was the reason we established air superiority early on in the war. Probably won us the war, in fact. Nothing else was going well at the time.

Of course, you wouldn't want to send them against modern Migs or F-16s but they can definately mix it up in the air.

I think that this was more due to superior missile technology, superior radar technology, the fact that the argentines were operating at the edge of their range (a similar set of circumstances to the BoB, actually). Quite unlike the BoB, the British had quality of training on their side. Although no harriers were shot down by the Argentines in air to air combat, the British could not establish total air superiority. The Harrier established itself as a capable fighter aircraft in the 80's, and is highly maneoverable, but maneoverability alone doesn't win air to air contests. If that was true, we'd all be flying biplanes.

Hi,just wondering,i have a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick,

(play pacific fighters from time to time)

it all works fine in arma.

except when i leave the controls alone while flying,it nose dives.

there seems to be far to much downtalk,and no where near enough up talk (pulling up into the sky)

my controls are set ok,and calibrated thru its program,im just wondering if others have this 80% down 20% up,when it should be 55% down 45% up.

not saying it has to fly horizontal on a perfect line,its just way to much pulling down to the ground.

also,the fog distance,ofc playing a flight simulator,you see the ground from above the clouds, where in this game,you see nothing in multiplayer after like 200alt,lol.

(wish they would default the multiplayer to about 3000 instead of 1000 :P )

or at least something purely for "once in the jet,and 300alt,it knocks out certain graphic settings to allow more distance in view?

(last thread got locked,AGAIN)

why do jets dive to the ground when left to fly straight?

I haven't tried configuring my joystick, but the flight model seems worse then flash, far too twitchy. And the sound of the jets flying over is pants as usual. Very disappointing, hopefully patches and future community efforts will remedy the situation.

If a mod team could implement VTOL functionality in the original flashpoint, then surely BIS can do it in their 'updated' engine.

The flight model for the Harrier on AA seems like that much of the ones on San Andreas lol

Its currently impossible to have any dogfights, even against the AI. I have no idea why they even included a camel dogfight MP mission with the game. Did they even bother to test it? mad_o.gif

I hope they fix it, but I have low hopes, especially after the chopper fix wink_o.gif

Do Harriers/AV8s with a full warload actually ever take off

vertically anyway? I thought that they preferred a rolling take

off for reasons of increased payload and efficiency.

Anyway, I just use the ArmA "jets" as "supporting actors",

like they were evidently intended to be by the game

designers: "Ooh, look at da 'planes goin' over! Whooosh!". smile_o.gif

It is not possible for a harrier to take off vertically with a full warload. The operating weight of the jet (pilot, fuel, no stores) is nearly 7,000 kg. The jet produces almost 10,000 kg of thrust. This makes (according to fas) the harrier have a maximum VTO load of 3,000 kg, and a maximum STO load of nearly 8,000 kg. You're cutting its stores down considerably if you want to take off vertically.

i enjoy nearly everything about Arma except the jets. they don't feel right. but then i didn't get Arma for the jets - and the helis are great so there's a viable air component.

that said, it would be great to have the jets better.

Well sadly the jets suffer the same horrible lack of rudder authority as the Helos do and it has even more horrible effects on the jets.Anyone who has ever played any sort of Combat Flight Sim knows the basic way of fine tuning targeting is the rudder. I mean with the Helos at least you regain "some" rudder authority at low speeds(far to low IMO but at least you "can" get it back") But in a jet you really cant slow down, well its hard enough to keep in the air at speed....any low speed ground attack run will probably be more successful in sticking your plane into your target than your intended weapon...

Its currently impossible to have any dogfights, even against the AI.  I have no idea why they even included a camel dogfight MP mission with the game.  Did they even bother to test it?   mad_o.gif  

I hope they fix it, but I have low hopes, especially after the chopper fix  wink_o.gif

I dont seem to have a problem with it.. The flight models are definately off, but its not impossible. In fact its realistic in that you can just put your lift line on the bandit and pull.. Just as in real life, you'll bleed all your airspeed. So you have to hit and run or maintain corner speed.

Jets are a freaking disaster in this sim... and authors are including new jets in English version like Su-33.... how will the flight model cope with the one from Lock-On? C'mon... I almost feel like a freaking buyer of EA crap... improve the infantry/mechanized combat, leave "xwings" to 13-year olds with their mods...

Jets are a freaking disaster in this sim... and authors are including new jets in English version like Su-33.... how will the flight model cope with the one from Lock-On? C'mon... I almost feel like a freaking buyer of EA crap... improve the infantry/mechanized combat, leave "xwings" to 13-year olds with their mods...

lol, Isn't a SU-34 ? Since Harrier vs. SU-33 is unfair.

Turning and rolling is like that of a consoles. Actcually even Over G on Xbox360 is reasonable.

Haven't tried it yet but at high altitudes can you see earth like in LockOn, loads of visual distance for dog fighting or is it clouded?