Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

'Island Wide Conflict' A Persistent CTI War

bannerou9.gif

Introduction

It cannot be simply excused that the creation of Capture the Island (CTI) made an effect on Operation: Flashpoint, it must be recognized that CTI had a huge effect on the entire OFP community, and playing off those effects, Island Wide Conflict (IWC) will become a driving force in the OFP community that will help the community thrive and continue in the years to come.

What is IWC?

In a simple sentence, IWC is Armed Assault meets a Mass-Multiplayer Online Game. IWC is more than just a mission, it will become a community that will deliver a more complicated and more complete CTI. The biggest difference between IWC and CTI, is the fact that IWC will not stop when you turn off ArmA. It will be a 24/7 CTI, that is on a dedicated server and is modified to better sustain a 24/7 war that will only end when one side has conquered the other. IWC will be much more strategic than CTI, by including better supply systems, tiers of equipment and other varying additions. The IWC staff will work hard to create an infrastructure that will be able to support the constant effort by both sides. We hope to attract dedicated players and squads that will coordinate with each other on a constant level, to push the front or to hold the line. We are looking for a real war, not one that lasts a few hours but one that will last days, weeks or even months.

Forums

http://arma.fansn.com/forum/index.php

About Supply system, This is what I was thinking for my suggestion of CTI2, (I know that it is pretty wild)

When a vehicle gets damaged, some of it's subcomponents can be flagged as damaged, let me make it clear,

For example, a M60A2 MBT damaged by 60%.. let say this tank has these subcomponents,

-x- Engine

-x- Transmission

-x- Turret Gearbox

-x- Electrical System

-x- Suspensions

So, Sixty percent of damage will take out 3 of 5 systems randomly, so in script this units subcomponents will be flagged as "inoperational"

So lets say we have TRANSMISSION and SUSPENSION systems intact in this M60A2, they need no replacing...

and we have another tank, let say a M113, lightly damaged and needs only a TRANSMISSION to be flagged as "completely repaired"

Well in this case, sides will need FIELD REPAIR BAYS, where the damaged tanks will be taken (if they are damaged, they will not be able to fire also cannot move as well) and with the Supplies available, engineers at the Repair Bay will start to work on damaged vehicles by removing parts, and fitting operational parts to others to get the damaged vehicles repaired.. (some animation could be used, like in CTI's worker building ani...)

on the other hand, base commander will have to ask for certain subcomponents to increase efficiency of the Repair Bays.

In this way, damaged tanks will no longer left in the field, a new area of operation for players will be created as well as new challange to base commanders...

So, Sixty percent of damage will take out 3 of 5 systems randomly, so in script this units subcomponents will be flagged as "inoperational"

You know it would be possible to have them taken out based where the tank was actually hit. It would be a lot better than doing it randomly.

You know it would be possible to have them taken out based where the tank was actually hit. It would be a lot better than doing it randomly.

If it can be coded to be specific then it will be done. However, this point is one that will come later. The first thing is to drag out a CTI map to last a few days or even a week.

So a CTI that runs all the time, like an mmo?

i like it, kinda like WW2OL smile_o.gif

wow!!! I didnt know that, I mean my point was creating a need of "Advanced Battlefield Logistics" so I came up with that idea.. haha thats superb!

So a CTI that runs all the time, like an mmo?

i like it, kinda like WW2OL smile_o.gif

That is what we are aiming for basically.

I am pleased to say that I have secured a dedicated serve for IWC. A website and a forum will be up shortly.

Im in, get the game in less then 2 weeks US. Know alot of ppl an several clans that will be definatly be into his type of gameplay! I mean aint that what ArmA was built for.

Wow, this idea sounds awesome. I will follow your progress and see where you're at when the game comes out here in Q1 2007... wink_o.gif

Can't wait to give it a shot and ferry guys about the battlefield in my UH-60! smile_o.gif (If you're thinking about fixed classes for one entire battle, sign me in as pilot! tounge2.gif)

Great idea, hope you can make it work!

Yes, We've had similar thoughts... unfortunately, unless one has a reliable method of persisting values to the server then one buggy script, or addon will bring you're 24/7 mission to an abrupt conclusion.

At which point all volitile mission variables will cease to exist...

I've scanned the wiki new scripting commands and nothing there seems to look able to save mission info.

Unless someone's going to build a 'hook' of the 'loadfile' command like keg's then how were you planning to accomplish persistence?

Or am I missing something?

Yes, We've had similar thoughts... unfortunately, unless one has a reliable method of persisting values to the server then one buggy script, or addon will bring you're 24/7 mission to an abrupt conclusion.

At which point all volitile mission variables will cease to exist...

I've scanned the wiki new scripting commands and nothing there seems to look able to save mission info.

Unless someone's going to build a 'hook' of the 'loadfile' command like keg's then how were you planning to accomplish persistence?

Or am I missing something?

I thought the idea was just to keep the server running until that paticular round ended. With enough people the fights would probably take a few days.

Wow sounds brilliant, im sure ill be able to drag a lot of people into the conflict, and whats better on Teamspeak, wow the opportunity for Band of Brothers style conflicts is huge,

Will you have a system to decide which side makes the first move ie, say the North sahrini troops hold the island and the US have to first establish a beachhead?..

this sounds fantastic.

hopefully the community will join these type of Multi player games and not the naff custom made death match

I think there's alot of former and current WWIIOL players extremely interested in this.

Please don't use any addons when creating the mission.

Using the stock units and structures in the game will certainly allow more people to join your mission.

Question 1: Are you going to accelerate time or keep it 1:1?

Question 2: What kind of respawn time are you going to have? Instant or a waiting period?

Question 3: All real people? or are you going to give players AI to control?

I think there's alot of former and current WWIIOL players extremely interested in this.

Yep, one here who currently plays... wink_o.gif

I enjoyed WW2 Online except for the ugly grapichs, and this souds like a good idea.

I loved WWIIOL had to unsub for financial reasons (my old squad was/is 40 Commando).

Anyway, good luck with this it sounds very good.

Wow, It's nice to see several other WWIIOL guys here.

I'm a day one player, but really haven't played much this past year. Love the concept of the game, but it's just not the same as it was a few years ago. You can only play the Battle of France so many times. I still like to fly the Bombers every now and then though.

A few of us guys from LAF

www.lafayettefederation.com (shameless squad plug) are discussing possibly getting a server set up when ArmA is released in the US. If the Multiplayer persistant war turns out like it sounds, it's going to be awesome. <S!>

Great idea, but, what if the server crashes. And like a game of 6 hours are missed?

Anyway, really good idea. Hope it will be realised.

Thanks for all the interest guys. So far there is a delay with getting a forum up, trying for a php one, but if for some reason I cannot get one up, I will just say F it and just set up a simple invisionfree one.