Sign in to follow this  
Nathman

BIS, Armed Assault, and north america

The absurdity of the situation regarding Armed Assault and it's inability to be played by people who are willing to hand over at least 50 US dollars (and most likely a helluva a lot more) tends to make me believe that BIS is incompetent, at best, in marketing it's product.

The fact of the matter is that Armed Assault is the sequel to a game which won game of the year honors bestowed upon it by some very big names in the gaming world. That in and of itself would seemingly propel the sequel to OFP to major news status. BIS has a hit a home run with the first game and when the follow on game is released, they claim they can't find a US publisher. And whose fault is that? As a result, we have people in the US contacting europeans to send them a copy and other such ridiculous situations.

I don't believe BIS would know a marketing plan if it hit them between the eyes. I don't particularly care when it's released as I don't have the time to invest in the near future to play it, but it strikes me as a lesson in how not to run a company.

I dont reckon its so much as of BIS's fault. More of the fact that no publisher for the USA wanted to take ArmA on baord.

Given OFP's past record, I'm sure publishers would be keen. However they don't seem to be - perhaps there's another reason for their lack of interest...?

And maybe it's hit on the head by the topic starter.

Nathman,

I, too, live in North America.  While I share your frustration at the situation (not at BIS), I do not share your point of view.

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here, but its unfortunate that the typical view point of the last few generations is that everything is their "right".  We had a "right" to have Armed Assault published in America!  We think its absurd that a game would be published first anywhere other than the greatest nation on Earth!  But the US isn't the greatest nation on Earth, is it?  Not anymore.  We've been steadily declining - mostly because being the "Greatest nation on Earth" is titled that must be earned, not simply declared or automatically inherited by the proceeding generation.

Its unfathomable that this wonderful game wouldn't be set down in our lap.  Its our "right"! But instead we might have to put forth the smallest effort, and have to order it from a different website! A website for a store in a different county. Because even if the store was two blocks down the street, we'd still order it online because we are just that lazy. So what does it matter that it isn't published here in the US?

The lack of a US publsiher is probably the result of US publishers expecting BIS to set ArmA in their lap (rather than making the effort to go get it).  Just as you expect it to be set in your lap.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

OFP originally ahd problems alongside Codemasters, although I cant remember what that was all about.

Anyway, you can just wait a little bit longer until the download service is available. Aparrently BIS on working one.

Nathman,

I, too, live in North America. While I share your frustration at the situation (not at BIS), I do not share your point of view.

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here, but its unfortunate that the typical view point of the last few generations is that everything is their "right". We had a "right" to have Armed Assault published in America! We think its absurd that a game would be published first anywhere other than the greatest nation on Earth! But the US isn't the greatest nation on Earth, is it? Not anymore. We've been steadily declining - mostly because being the "Greatest nation on Earth" is titled that must be earned, not simply declared or automatically inherited by the proceeding generation.

Its unfathomable that this wonderful game wouldn't be set down in our lap. Its our "right"! But instead we might have to put forth the smallest effort, and have to order it from a different website! A website for a store in a different county. Because even if the store was two blocks down the street, we'd still order it online because we are just that lazy. So what does it matter that it isn't published here in the US?

The lack of a US publsiher is probably the result of US publishers expecting BIS to set ArmA in their lap (rather than making the effort to go get it). Just as you expect it to be set in your lap.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

thumbs-up.gif Puma VII, not all is lost in this world...

regards for you from Argentina (South America)

We think its absurd that a game would be published first anywhere other than the greatest nation on Earth! But the US isn't the greatest nation on Earth, is it? .

x2

Well said Puma.

Maybe it is time for a few people to realize the US is not the only country in the world.

Go out, travel, chill out...reality might be hard...but it is worth it wink_o.gif

The absurdity of the situation regarding Armed Assault and it's inability to be played by people who are willing to hand over at least 50 US dollars (and most likely a helluva a lot more) tends to make me believe that BIS is incompetent, at best, in marketing it's product.

The fact of the matter is that Armed Assault is the sequel to a game which won game of the year honors bestowed upon it by some very big names in the gaming world. That in and of itself would seemingly propel the sequel to OFP to major news status. BIS has a hit a home run with the first game and when the follow on game is released, they claim they can't find a US publisher. And whose fault is that? As a result, we have people in the US contacting europeans to send them a copy and other such ridiculous situations.

I don't believe BIS would know a marketing plan if it hit them between the eyes. I don't particularly care when it's released as I don't have the time to invest in the near future to play it, but it strikes me as a lesson in how not to run a company.

Maybe you just have no idea of how the gaming industry works and how BIS goes about looking for a publisher?

I don't know if OFP did well in the States - IIRC it was largely eclipsed by Ghost Recon. In Europe, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that OFP did very well. Talk to any European gamer and chances are they've heard of OFP, if not have a copy themselves. Most American gamers, in my experience, will ask you "What the hell is OFP?"

Do you honestly think BIS is gonna throw away money from the North American market intentionally?

I think y'all will just have to wait for a downloadable release.

Me, personally, I don't really give into all the hype. I've already heard enough reports about the game to know most of what I had hoped for and wanted is not going to happen.

So, I'll wait patiently for it and get whichever comes first - downloadable or NorthAm release. Until then, I'll stick with FP.

Right now, i don't think its smart for them to look for a publisher until after christmas cause with the PS3 and Wii out, their all gonna shadow ArmA. I would just wait for it to become downloadable from BI, i think they'd make a fortune if they did that since it's at a high demand right now ^_^ I'd pay whatever it takes to get ahold of one [well not $100+ lol] but yeah, just play OFP to calm your nerves down biggrin_o.gif

Many software development studios are tied to their publishers, BIS remains independant, thats the most important thing wink_o.gif .

Its funny though, that us mil orgs seem to have quite a big interest in BIS developments and yet no us publisher sees the potential of a game like Arma in the states... Arma is a war game featuring american forces and equipment, helloo??

I belive Arma will/would do pretty well over there smile_o.gif .

I think the reason BIS hasn't got a NA publisher yet is because there's not yet a publisher that would agree to their terms. I don't think BIS wants a repeat of the Codies affair...

Also, releasing games on DVD is not so common in NA as far as I know, so that may be another roadblock.

I live in Canada and would like to get my hands on Arma before x-mas. Hopefully at least an online distribution system will be available by then.

Dominance over the gaming market (in terms of $, not necessarily quality) by companies like EA or UBI probably has a lot to do with how readily BIS can find a publisher in N.Am.

Let us speculate why BIS would be less likely to pick up a N.Am. publisher quickly (just speculation):

1. No N.Am. publishers are willing to publish ArmA.

2. EA / UBI / Activision, ect have such a stranglehold on videogaming that such getting a new publisher is hard.

3. American publishers are difficult to work with (they might want a huge $%, require starforce, be unwilling to meet certain criteria from BIS)

4. BIS is being very "picky" about their developer.

Other thoughts?

The way i see it publishers should be struggling to put Arma on the shelves and BIS shouldnt have to worry about it at all...

Also, releasing games on DVD is not so common in NA as far as I know, so that may be another roadblock.

What, why is that?

Everyone using a cd-rom?

MfG Lee wow_o.gif

I think that maybe a few US publishers were interested in ArmA but they were turned down by BIS because maybe they couldn't make an agreement.

I'm all for BIS being picky with their publisher... codemasters did a shocking job of advertising OFP, or at least here in the UK, and the game did so well on merit along - codemasters made money off the hard work of BIS with seeminly naff all input from them.

imagine spending so much time and effort on a game, only to be screwed by an incompotent publisher... seems sensible to me that BIS should be careful with who they sign contracts with, assuming they want to ensure they get what they want out fo the deal.

thumbs-up.gif

Given its the norm that Europe has to wait for games, movies etc after the US release, its rather poignant and slightly amusing to see the moaning that comes from over the pond when the tables are turned

tounge2.gif

publisher, publisher, publisher, publisher, publisher.

Last I heard BI doesnt have a DVD pressing company.

Steam!  If BIS would stop listening to the old fart Steam haters we'd have ArmA our hands, already (which almost seems like a bad thing, since the forum would be overflowing with trivial complaints instead of just filled with them).  Steam is by far the most popular online distribution platform.  If they distributed over Steam, they get even more profit than through retailers, and I don't need to fill my computer with stupid copy protection software.

Look how well it worked for Red Orchestra!

Steam! If BIS would stop listening to the old fart Steam haters we'd have ArmA our hands, already

no we wouldnt...

BIS have made it perfectly clear that they wont be release any sort of online distribution untill all their signed publishers have published the game in their areas. Steam or not, we would have the game by now... more than likely to be part of the contractual agreements between them, so not to take business away from the publishers they managed to sign.

well as u can all see, theres plenty of demand, so obviously they would make money, maybe BIS doesnt want to pick a bad publisher like ppl say, maybe the big publishers r staying well clear cos of the codemasters business, maybe theres a reason which no 1 here knows about? at end of day weve just got to wait, here in uk we get nearly everything last, usa first, loost at ps3, delayed until march 03 so they can provide for the american market first! thats harsh, altho im a xbox 360 man my self, ive been waiting for years for this game, and had shock of my life when i realised it was out in some countries, i was ready 2 fly to another country or phone army friends just to get a copy sent over, but with all the langauge issues etc ill just have 2 wait, theyve got it on pre order at www.play.com , i suppose that will have 2 do until then

Messiah: While I'd argue with the reasoning of that, I can see how that might make publishers nervous. Well then, here's to hoping. sad_o.gif

of course you can argue the reasoning, and be perfectly right to do so, like you said you can see why publishers would be nervous of an online download rivaling their market.

WOULD YOU RATHER THEM GET A PUBLISHER SUCH AS EA AN HAVE THEM TOTALLY SCREW THE GAME UP? I have no problems gettin the game from Germany, I live in Iowa an it don't bother me either way.