Sign in to follow this  
DVD

Anit tank weapons

So far i know, one soldier can carry up to 5 shot for M136 or RPG7 in ArmA.

10 slots for ammo - 2 slots for each AT shot.

What i saw there is one shot of M136 enought for a T72 and 2 for a M1A1.

Well i dont know, but for me a soldier should not carry that much AT ammo, in this case.

why do they still have m136/at4s that are reloadable? They could have easily used usmc SMAWs to 'balance' the RPG. For a game that claims to be realistic, there are some rather interesting issues. For me its no more realisitic than an m82a1 firing in full auto.

With RPG-7 there's no problem carrying that much. Soldier should improvise how he carries them. Afgans tied them to rope... (If we take a realism-view)

If we take a gameplay-view, i have to say that i'm happy. I hated OFPs standart squads where only one guy carries 3 rockets!!! Or only one heavy rocket!!!

RPGs should take only one slot... And ArmA would get atleast one happy NorthSaharani AT-grunt (me)

why do they still have m136/at4s that are reloadable? They could have easily used usmc SMAWs to 'balance' the RPG. For a game that claims to be realistic, there are some rather interesting issues. For me its no more realisitic than an m82a1 firing in full auto.

So should soldier carry only one???

Yeah. Realism... How come you can load/retry the game if you die? This game isn't even near to realism... Some little weapon config doesn't matter, when looking at those big holes in realism which makes game only a game. It is just so strange that some minor unrealism in weapon configs has so big impact to overall realism.

For the game play, one RPG or M136 should take 4 slots...

So you can carry 2 AT shoot, + 2 mag for your riffle.

Of course there a much types of RPG7. A light PG-7 could take 2 slots, it has not much damage, but a PG-7VR with tandem heat should take 4 slots, for a better gameplay.

btw the topic should call "Anti tank weapons" not "Anit ...".. can a Mod change the crap i made? biggrin_o.gif

Im sure DVD isnt talking about realism, but about gameplay (balance)

But I agree that when launchers cant be reloaded in RL it shoulnt in ArmA, just throw it away after you used it, and find a new one.

edit: DVD dont post stuff 2 sec before me what I was about to say.... pistols.gif

Don't worry i didn't even notice that atni-anti before you said so wink_o.gif If it gives you any comfort xmas_o.gif

So if you had a LAW (M72) in ArmA it would be reloadable and take up a inventory spot for the rocket?

Lame. This is how it was in OFP and WGL's fixes to make disposable anti tanks only addressed the reloadable issue, not the ammo-in-weapon vs ammo-in-backpack issue.

i would totally dislike if they made me throw away my AT weapon or light AT weapon after use, i think thats a choice i want to make. And i think ofp is best thought of as a sim game but a fun sim game wink_o.gif I just totally didn't like the way some mods had it even though it was a bit cool and different to throw away the weapon but it made game play just a bit annoying to find another At weapon and i think the At4 should have had 3 ammo spaces instead of 2 tounge2.gif

i totally love the way things are in lsr and rhs mods and jam mod with weapons and ammo. smile_o.gif

Hmm, tanks will be useless if a man has 4 RPG and can kill 2 M1A1 with that huh.gif or 4 T72 ...

i would totally dislike if they made me throw away my AT weapon or light AT weapon after use, i think thats a choice i want to make. And i think ofp is best thought of as a sim game but a fun sim game wink_o.gif I just totally didn't like the way some mods had it even though it was a bit cool and different to throw away the weapon but it made game play just a bit annoying to find another At weapon and i think the At4 should have had 3 ammo spaces instead of 2 tounge2.gif

i totally love the way things are in lsr and rhs mods and jam mod with weapons and ammo. smile_o.gif

There are different AT weapons in the game, or at least there was in OFP, one reloadable and one that is not reloadable (unfortunately somehow they'd been switched)

There should be a disposable (1 shot only) AT launcher that a regular soldier can choose to carry.

And there should be a Grenade Rifle that is reloadable with different types of ammunition, AT, HE, smoke and so on.

The Soldier carrying it could have maybe two rounds and a regular soldier could act as loader carrying more ammo with him.

Realistic and it would work well in the game.

Anyway, disposable AT weapons are not meant to take out MBT's, modern MBT's have good protection against these weapons even though they can penetrate 400-500mm of armor, they're mostly used against lightly armored vehicles like APC's and the like.

Only way of taking out a MBT would be shooting down at the top or possibly from the rear.

I really hope ArmA use the dreadful hitpoint system that OFP used huh.gif

Carrying only 1 rocket to SMAW?

You need 6 to destroy T72 or 4 to BMP crazy_o.gif

I must check the Javelin...

WGL f*c*ed up the whole rocketlauncher thing... Sure it's realistic to throw used lanchertube away... But how come i couldn't carry two, three or even four LAWs at a same time, but only one? Soldier in WGL is able to carry only one light anti-tanklauncher??? Give me a break... Better that soldier can carry one loadable tube and three rockets (which simulates those three LAWs he's carrying) than only one single-shot tube with only one shot. It's also realistic as someones truly seems to have obession about it (with game where you can load save or retry when you die...)

LOL, you can carry more than that, my friend. PAck them into your backpack. You can spit them out like they were going out of style, pick them up and use them one after another. You just don't know how to play WGL, that's all. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You can spit them out like they were going out of style, pick them up and use them one after another.

Huh? The only launchers that can be packed are rpg-22 and m72 and you can only fit two of those into a rucksack. So a maximum of two launchers can be carried by one person. Same goes for the reloadable launchers, you can have the laucher and either one or two rounds for it.

I was simply replying to this:

Quote[/b] ]

But how come i couldn't carry two, three or even four LAWs at a same time, but only one? Soldier in WGL is able to carry only one light anti-tanklauncher??? Give me a break...

Where he denies being able to carry more than one.

Yeah, I just got the impression that you could carry about a dozen from your post because "one after another" usually refers to more than "exactly one after the first".

Personally, I like how it is in WGL. There's only so much you can do with the engine, you can't easily limit the player's movements based on the stuff he's carrying etc so it's a nice compromise.

I think its a bit of a shame we're still stuck with this "if you carry AT your ammo is limited" method of inventory.

Most AT soldiers, especially those carrying "lightweight" systems like the M136 will carry the launcher ADDITIONAL to their ammo loadout, having the rockets take up 2 mag slots (still confused_o.gif ) just limits the usefullness of the AT soldier, since he is severly crippled once he's fired his AT. sad_o.gif

Yeah, I just got the impression that you could carry about a dozen from your post because "one after another" usually refers to more than "exactly one after the first".

Personally, I like how it is in WGL. There's only so much you can do with the engine, you can't easily limit the player's movements based on the stuff he's carrying etc so it's a nice compromise.

It was cartoonish hyperbole. smile_o.gif

I think its a bit of a shame we're still stuck with this "if you carry AT your ammo is limited" method of inventory.

Most AT soldiers, especially those carrying "lightweight" systems like the M136 will carry the launcher ADDITIONAL to their ammo loadout, having the rockets take up 2 mag slots (still confused_o.gif ) just limits the usefullness of the AT soldier, since he is severly crippled once he's fired his AT. sad_o.gif

Totally agree.

There should be some stamina system instead where if you have much and heavy equipment you will tire faster and recoup slower.

Totally agree.

There should be some stamina system instead where if you have much and heavy equipment you will tire faster and recoup slower.

Brigade E5 has a system like that and really nice inventory management. It would be perfect for ArmA.

WGL f*c*ed up the whole rocketlauncher thing... Sure it's realistic to throw used lanchertube away... But how come i couldn't carry two, three or even four LAWs at a same time, but only one? Soldier in WGL is able to carry only one light anti-tanklauncher??? Give me a break... Better that soldier can carry one loadable tube and three rockets (which simulates those three LAWs he's carrying) than only one single-shot tube with only one shot. It's also realistic as someones truly seems to have obession about it (with game where you can load save or retry when you die...)

Because nobody does in real life. AT4s are really, really bulky. M72s are a little less so, but I can't imagine carrying more than one for any length of time, unless I wasn't walking everywhere.

Its also a tradeoff - because there is no simulation of weight or bulk in your inventory, OFP/Arma have to work around that. I think BIS said they'd try to improve it for OFP2.

With JAM for ArmA we'll try to improve the system.

Just to clear things up about WGL

Remember that Rucksack contents take up space in your pistol slot, and does not effect the number of mags you can carry in your pouches. However you could carry an additional 12 rifle mags or similar sorts of ammunititon in your rucksack if you wished to. The ammunition for your AT launchers also take pistol slots, even when you dont have a rucksack.

you can carry 2 Law66s or 2 RPG22s in your rucksack in WGL. you have to take them out of rucksack and then pick one up, fire, drop, pick the other and repeat.

m136/at4s are unique in the way that you cannot carry more than one launcher. You cannot reload them neither. They are chicked away once you've fired.

RPG7/ RPG7VL come with two rounds with the launcher and is reloadable. A RPG Gunner ASSISTANT may also carry 4 rounds in his rucksack to give to his gunner.

Carl Gustav is reloadable, however you can only carry the launcher with the rocket in it. Your assistant may carry 2 Carl Gustav Rockets in his rucksacks to give to you when you need it.

Javelin/AA/Strela/Dragon Launchers can only carry the round in the launcher just like the Carl Gustav. However The Assistant can also carry only one extra round in his rucksack.

There are flaws in the WGL system, but it is the best there is for ofp, full stop.

Its ingame, weapon: "Javelin", ammo "Javelin" wink_o.gif

Edit: having just done a quick test, its not remotely finished. It has no optics, no missile proxy (the tube is empty all the time), isnt placed right and has no animations. Hopefully the aforementioned will be fixed in a later release or a patch...