Sign in to follow this  
Teo

Concealment v's Cover

In OPF there was pretty much no cover unless your were in a town. I want to know that if you are in a field does the land provide cover or are there just bushes for concealment (Cover includes earth banks, dykes, etc, to protect you from enemy fire...Concealment, ie bushes do not protect you from enemy fire)?

In OPF there was pretty much no cover unless your were in a town. I want to know that if you are in a field does the land provide cover or are there just bushes for concealment (Cover includes earth banks, dykes, etc, to protect you from enemy fire...Concealment, ie bushes do not protect you from enemy fire)?

Guess that depends on the terrain resolution. The high setting in OFP provided a nice balance between performance and having additional terrain based cover.

Guess that depends on the terrain resolution. The high setting in OFP provided a nice balance between performance and having additional terrain based cover.

That's true... expacely AI gets big amout of boost because there's lots of cover for it as AI has tendensy to go prone and AI also seems to focus on land's shape and cover it provides (i'm only quessing). Firefights are more thrilling with broken/rough line-of-sight. Player has possibility to analyze more carefully how he should advance, rush or crawl.

Right now i have terrain detail it in normal (no wonder OFP felt so lame again banghead.gif )

That's a fair enough comment; that the more detail used in the terrain the less processing power for gameplay. However most countries train their soldiers to fight in section attack using cover. These attacks tend to be fought over short distances and this is down to the cover provided in the terrain. The (only) problem I have with OFP is that you can take out the enemy from extreme distances whereas in a real situation you would not know the enemy was there due to the cover and concealment. I that in the future these military sims can merge the positice aspects of OFP and the likes of Brothers in Arms

ArmA has a much smaller cell size than OFP did, so we're moving towards more realistic terrain. The biggest problem is the sheer number of polys required to accurately represent all the little folds, dips and oddities in real-world terrain would simply cripple current gen graphics hardware.

Your post makes me wonder if you've ever played OFP...maybe you've got some other game confused with OFP...

He's right, there is very little cover outside of forests and town in OFP, there is some concealment, but infantry out on the plain is immediately toast.

Would it be an idea to replace the grass or implement it over it, and generate randomly created low poly objects for cover, small bits of earth, logs, ect

Obviously it would need careful planning, but i can see the potentional.

Nick

To date, the only mil combat game ever to do grass right was the OLD Novalogics Delta Force 2. They used the Voxel engine tho. However. FP Resistance altho I never played the game.... I did try it and was impressed by the  rolling terrain indent areas. ... in which I could and did use for both visual concealment and cover.

With these high/lower areas of the terrain, a soldier in the field can use that type of terrain for terrain masking himself...

As well, grass clumps/tufts. These work great too. Instead of a field of grass (only good for cqb concealment) that does nothing for mid to long range visuals concealment I`d rather see natural ground features such as tufts/clumps of vegetation, and undulations of the terrain.

Better we see the engines cpu power go to this kind of use, than wasting it on pretty but useless grass that no one sees from distances anyways.

Imagine you lying down and having this nice pretty BIS grass in your face, thinking you are concealed, and as well, blocking you FOV.  When in reality your azz is so easy to spot, you`ll be DOA before you can blink.  Memeroies of Joint Ops come quickly to mind. Yuck.

In FP btw, about the only thing I can say was it lacked the undulating ground, and grass clumps/tufts, for moving across large open areas.  I had to run from tree to tree. That mission where the tanks are patrolling those open areas as you come out of the forest. and ya need to make it across that hugeazz field.  Huge... totally flat, barren, featureless field.

I've read the following thread 'Terrain editing' (apologies I tried to copy a link to it but failed) and the lads have a photo of a field in the 5th reply. You'll see hedgerows defining the boundaries of each field...everbody knows that there is normally a dike running along with the hedgreow for draining purposes and this is the cover that soldiers tend to use in combat. Nobody and I mean nobody ever goes out into the middle of fields anymore when on patrol...its suicide. And that's why I dislike the lack of cover in OPF.

Your post makes me wonder if you've ever played OFP...maybe you've got some other game confused with OFP...

wtf.. have YOU > ??

like has been said playing the game with high terriain detail

makes for a 100% better game in terms of cover for you and the AI

fire fights are much more enjoyable

OFP you had to be very smart about using the terrain features (which were gross/large) when getting close to the objective. Most of the terrain in OFP was very flat/open.

A good test is to go outdoors and look at the real world and thing "how would I find cover here" A lot of places are just as exposed as the game, others have quite a bit of "feature" to the terrain.

Dirt is the only thing I trust to stop a bullet aimed at me. tounge2.gif