Solus

SLX Replacement Pack, Mod, and Addons

what is hwtl anyways? and what is the difference between the hwtl and non hwtl version?

I believe HWTL is short for HardWare T&L, which in turn is short for Hardware Transformation & Lighting.

When activated it unloads some work from you CPU and dump it on your graphics card instead.

But I'm no expert, I'm just a googler wink_o.gif

Hi Versus,

I've followed these instructions to the letter, but I'm also getting the same error when trying to run a Resistance SP game:

"Error loading ffur_effect\brass\556mm.p3d (magic)"

The game freezes at the title screen just before beginning game play.  

Can't think of what else to try.  Note: I'm moving config.cpp into the bin folder along with config.bin - I'm guessing that's expected?

I'm using FFUR2006 with the shortcut order as suggested   (thanks to the others who suggested that earlier).

hm, strange. i can play the res campaign without problems with FFUR/SLX.

did you try reinstalling everything from scratch (OPFP, resistance with patch 1.96, ffur 2006 2.5, slx)?

if you've done all that and followed the installation instructions step by step i'm afraid i'm out of ideas as well...

did you download any other slx updates prior to 1.07? because they included earlier versions of the FFUR config.bin which were actually in folders that were called differently ("SLX full effects config" instead of "full effects SLX config" or sth like that). make sure you use the latest version.

the config.cpp is just the unbinarized config.bin. doesn't make any difference wether you move it too, as far as i know.

I've had my fourth occassion to try this mod, and I'm just simply more and more amazed every time at how much depth it adds to the game. I currently have it working in tandem with FFUR2006 v. 2.5, and I'm impressed by how wonderful the game play is along with the striking visuals.

A few observations:

(1) In Steal the Car, I'm unable to go upstairs in many of the smaller buildings.

(2) In Steal the Car, I'm unable to climb the ladder on the topmost floor of the apartment buildings.

I was floored by how the enemy AI tracked me down and entered the apartment complex to kill me. I ended up getting stabbed to death by the nearest AI as his comrades rushed me in the tight corridors!

At one point I was badly wounded, and an enemy AI came in to heal/arrest me. Each time I made an attempt to retrieve my weapons, I was stabbed, bandaged, and secured. This happened several times, till he had enough of my escape attempts and did me in completely. Pretty incredible.

I also noticed that when SLX is used with the latest build of WGL that there aren't any grenade explosion sound effects. I guess they're using sound suppressors.

wink_o.gif

Is there any chance in coming up with the infrared laser targeting system that U.S.A. night time forces now use? The laser that's emitted from the sighting aide is only visible when night vision devices are in use, and as far as I know, the only game to utilize this feature is a total conversion for the original Unreal Tournament known as Infiltration. Just wondering.

Yours!

Kyle

Nov. 30, 2006

smile_o.gif

Here's the new release:

SLX Mod 1.08 35.4 MB @ rogepost.com

Mirror 1:

mega-file.net

Mirror 2:

yousendit.com

Limited to 100 downloads

Changes:

Added VTE+JAM config with supersonic bullet sounds, GL3, and SLX wounds with vietnamese shouting.

Added grass islands to WGL config.

Changed "AimPrecision" values in config for easier shooting.

Changed stamina loss values in animations for slight stamina loss while performing most regular movement for more trembling after moving around, running is slightly tiring, crouch running is more tiring, rolling is very tiring. Diving to the ground is extremely tiring.

Changed dexterity on weapons for more momentum on machine guns and sniper rifles.

Added AT weapon standing and lying prone stances. Made more speeds for AT weapon movement.

Added lowered rifle stance. Thanks to DanAK47 for the idea!

Added faster movement modes for safe and civil stances.

Made radio voices an option in configs. Thanks to WGL for the example!

Made grass islands optional in configs.

Re enabled lock on ability for vehicles. Vehicles without an actual radar cannot see targets on the radar screen, it is only there for the fire control systems lock on ability.

Copied skies to sky folder so users can delete the ones in NewData if they want to use the originals.

Switched tracer colors for sides.

Special Forces soldiers are more stealthy.

Added dive slide back in and enabled by default. Thanks to itweas_LLU for letting his ninja addon be used!

Fixed CoC DKM M46 shell fly and hit sounds.

Fixed WGL hand grenade explosion sound for default BIS grenades.

Tonal config has Tonal SF units with GL3 and SLX Wounds effects.

Updated various SLX addons with minor changes.

Updated SLX_GL3.pbo to version 1.04:

Many small changes to various things.

Fixed slowdown on fuel leak script.

Suppressive fire makes units getting shot at go prone and lowers their stamina which makes their aim become more shaky. Lower skilled units suffer more stamina loss.

The next update will focus on hunting down crashes.

To install:

It's a full stand alone release, so you might want to rename or delete your old @SLX folder if there are any problems and do a clean install of it, but it shouldn't hurt to just extract it over the old one if you want to.

Thanks for helping out, everyone! :]

Kyle_K_ski: Thanks! Glad to hear things are going ok now! I decided to only make the Special Forces soldiers more stealthy so they can sneak right up to someone, with no other ninja abilities. Although I also included the ninja addon to have the diving animation in by default. Also, all armed units are equiped with a knife now. It is possible to make the SF soldiers more agile but that will have to wait for a future update. To your latest post:

1. That's an issue with FFUR, sorry.

2. The ladders on replacement models don't work, I might look into that in a future update though.

The emergent gameplay that GL3 and SLX Wounds help to make is always fun to experience. :] It's kind of alarming when you realize that an entire squad has flanked you and is storming the building you're in to come and get you! The missing grenade explosion sounds from the BIS grenades in WGL is a bug with WGL I think, but it's fixed in the 1.08 WGL SLX config anyway. Q probably knows about it already but I'll tell him again the next time I see him. I've thought about trying to make IR lights/lasers in OFP but I haven't done any experiments yet. It would seem to be mostly dependant upon whether the NV goggles effect enhances the infrared or even the low red spectrum in OFP, I dont think it does though. I think BAS possibly made IR flares or something but I don't think they were really infrared, just low red, but they might look brighter through the OFP NV goggles than in normal vision. So some kind of extra illumination that's only really effective with NV goggles might be possible in OFP but it's of low priority to me for the moment, sorry. I might try making the OFP SF soldiers have an IR light on their weapon when they're using a rifle or pistol though.

Tobruk, seminara: I'll attempt to reproduce the error you're having and see if I can find out what's causing it. Maybe it might be from having both the .bin and .cpp in the FFUR2006\bin folder?

Charliereddog: The 1.07 update should fix the huge craters but the 1.08 release is out now though, sorry to have so much stuff to download. tounge2.gif Installing the replacement pack content shouldn't affect anything outside the @SLX folder. Thanks!

Duggedank: Thanks for testing and finding that! I'll take a closer look and see if I can fix it for the next update.

Shadow NX: Very interesting! I think it crashed for me once when an AI was picking up their weapon too! This might really help to track down one of the crashes, thank you Shadow!!! biggrin_o.gif I think the RHS infantry use their own animations classes, don't they ? If their's aren't decended from the default class MovesMC then addon animations and the SLX Wounds animations won't be found in their animations classes. If they only use replacement animations and don't have any new "class Actions" entries then you could probably make them use the "StatesExt" class like the Resistance female animation class uses to replace the walking animations. Then you could have unique animations for each RHS solder type and they should still be able to use addon animations. I'll take a look at them to see exactly how it's set up and see if I have any ideas to help get them working. :]

the improvements list is really awesome Solus, thank you very much fot including the TSF units for tonal ! notworthy.gif i've been awaiting long for this ! all i can say is that since i started using SLX with OFP i don't want to play without it again notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

thank you thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]A few observations:

(1) In Steal the Car, I'm unable to go upstairs in many of the smaller buildings.

(2) In Steal the Car, I'm unable to climb the ladder on the topmost floor of the apartment buildings.

Indeed, this is an issue with FFUR US soldiers and not a problem related to SLX, it would be figured out soon with the upcoming patch, though.

Pretty good enhancements Solus, keep it up!

Regards,

Thunder

Hi Solus,

Is this mod compatible with ECP? Or am I better playing it without ECP?

I ask as I prefer using fewer mods (laumax skies + DXDLL + ECP) to avoid conflicts, minimise loss of performance and simplicity!

FYI I'm playing the SP campaigns and co-op missions online.

Although I haven't played it yet, judging by the incredible feedback, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Congratulations too on your regular and effective bug fixing!

Hi Solus,

looks like another kicking update! I like what your doing with the stamina values as well as the suppresive fire.

Tonal SF+VTE notworthy.gif

Downloading now

I feel greedy for asking but I don't see bullet-dirt effect in VTE. Is there any way I can implement it myself?

Solus,

thanks. I'll redownload it again tonight. Last night indeed did sort out the crater issue. Cracking work.

Does the GL3 pbo work only with the rest of SLX? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not I can implement GL3 with my normal Coop MP missions?

a little feedback regarding the new 1.08 version :

i'm having real strange issues with the animations when playing slx + tonalredux , it is like my player had own live , he does what he likes ! crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif by example :

- i'm running and without pressing any key the player goes prone wow_o.gif

- or i'm prone, press the "q" key to stand up and the player stands for a second and then goes prone again crazy_o.gif

-and even more strange issues whith the at rocket animation , sometimes the player get stuck and switches from the at launcher to the rifle Repeatedly huh.gif

i' haven't tried with other mods yet , i will try ffur and wgl to check if it happens he same

regards

Thats great solus thanks for the new update. One of the issues we had in the past is no explosion sounds when using slx and coc. Ill test to see if it is fixed. Thanks.

William, Thunderbird: Thanks! :]

domokun: There is an ECP config included which should have most of the stuff that the default SLX config has. Thanks!

froggyluv: Thanks! I'm pretty sure that the included VTE config has all effects, are you sure you copied the new VTE config to the x_vte\bin\ folder?

Charliereddog: Good to hear it's working! GL3 should be able to work on it's own, please see the readme for more information.

william1: The going prone is probably from suppressive fire. Is it too annoying ? I haven't gotten a chance to test it out much yet so I might make it less common for players if it interferes too much. How did you get into that situation with the AT animations ? I need to know how to make it happen so I can fix it. Thanks for any further help!

gunterlund: The missing CoC sounds on the CoC DKM M46 were not caused by SLX mod as far as I can tell, but it's fixed anyway in some of the SLX configs. If you find any more missing sounds please tell me which units and weapons they are from so I can fix them, thanks!

william1: The going prone is probably from suppressive fire. Is it too annoying ? I haven't gotten a chance to test it out much yet so I might make it less common for players if it interferes too much. How did you get into that situation with the AT animations ? I need to know how to make it happen so I can fix it. Thanks for any further help!

i must say that these issues only have happened to me with the TSF units in tonal , with vanilla slx mod or ffur didn't happened , at least the time i have tested . it could be a little annoying in combat situations , by example , i was behind a wall standing up and on the knees shooting the militia biggrin_o.gif , but each time i wanted to stand up for shooting the damned man went prone tounge2.gif

i have had the problem with the at animations twice in two differents games when playing the mission "holiday" for TSF in tonal . when i try to shoot a armored vehicle with the at launcher the secuence is this:

-i'm prone , i select the at launcher and the player kneels, take the at weapon and then without any accion by my part he goes prone again and take the rifle , and he then repeats the secuence until i select the rifle again icon_rolleyes.gif

P.D. the diving animation is all an expectacle tounge2.gif they must break their shoulders jaja, it is very good !

I´m having an issue when I´m using the Binos and laying down, after a cpuple of sec´s my character starts to switch between binos and sights really fast (he gets stuck between them) and I´ll have to make him stand to get out of it? Any ideas why? This happens with the vte mod.

william1, sweofp: The prone animation bugs sound like they're being caused by the suppressive fire script, to disable it you can open up the SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf file in your @SLX folder and uncomment the "SLX_NoSuppress = 1;" line by removing the "//" in front of it, sorry it's not working correctly right now. Try leaving it off until I can release an update of GL3. Thanks!

Rebl Man: There is stuff in the config.cpp that makes it not work with cpp2bin, so I have to remove all of that stuff and convert it to different types and fix things to get it to work. But I thought of a way to more quickly make it a .bin. It still takes too long to update it all the time though, so I won't be able to have any fixes in it in future updates, sorry. :/ Here's the link:

1.08 SLX Config.bin 208KB

Edit:

Tobruk: HW T&L is an option that is enabled in the OFP preferences, try running FlashpointPreferences.exe in your OFP folder and select "Direct 3D HW T&L" in the display device drop down menu.

I am confused about HWTL. I have an ATI X800 should I be able enable this feature with this card?

Is there a setting in the card software?

What have I done wrong???

tobruk, what you are decribing there sounds very complicated.

do this:

1. get the FULL SLX pack (1.0, about 35mb)

2. get the 1.07 UPDATE

3. unpack the FULL SLX pack into OPFP directory

4. unpack UPTDATE into OPFP directory overwriting any files

5. run what installer *.bat you want inside SLX directory

6. use one of the config.bin files in "...\@slx\mod configs\ffur2006" to replace the config.bin in "...\ffur2006\bin\". choose either the FULL EFFECTS (slow) or the LIGHT EFFECTS config.bin. (maybe make a backup first)

7. run it with -mod=@SLX;FFUR2006, NOT the other way around

Thanks Versus, I did exactly what you recommended except now just with 1.08 which I assume is the complete version.

I no longer get any errors but the game freezes on the ffur2006 2.5 splash intro screen.

Not sure why.

Solus,

I just finished a half hour session with build 1.08 of your tremendous mod, and I'm once again struck speechless by your devotion, passion, technical prowess and strong eye for tactical game play design.

The new "hit the dirt" and "suffer stamina loss due to being in the vincinity of suppressing fire" feature is an amazing and believable piece of coding that I strongly feel should STAY in the mod at all costs. Some people are going to dislike if not outright hate this feature, so I'm going to give a detailed pitch as to why it should stay, albeit with some adjustments.

I've made no secret in the past on BI's Forums that in my opinion the most accurate and deep "simulator" of infantry level experiences is the total conversion for the original Unreal Tournament known as Infiltration. I strongly urge anyone who hasn't tried it to give it a shot. Even against the bots it has a steep learning curve, but is well worth the time to experience. I don't have the time now to go into great detail as to why it should be tried myself, but I'm posting a link below to a website that may well convince community members to give it a serious go. The thorough article "The Best of Tactical Gaming: Infiltration" by Dslyecxi (himself a major supporter of OFP) can be found here: http://www.dslyecxi.com/botg_infiltration.html and Infiltration's official website is here: http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/ .

The reason why I now bring up Infiltration is so that when I say that your suppressing fire system is great, I mean it's Infiltration-level great, and from me that's a very lofty compliment. How I wish that OFP could have Infiltration's nearly flawless ironsights freeaim system, as it's a feature completely absent in other "hardcore" military shooters, tactical or not. Now, as far as I know, the way you've implemented the whole "fearful response to suppressing fire reaction system" is a first, and I love it on a number of levels.

As much as I've thoroughly enjoyed playing shooters, there is one factor that takes away from the sense of immersion, and that's the fact that the players themselves are not directly at risk in a game, and so they'll "bravely" charge into situations that nobody else would dare attempt in real life by themselves. Most of the time, the AI in the games respond more realistically than the players do, since the players do not have to suffer from the dire level of "fear" that the AI are rightfully "experiencing".

From all the firsthand stories I've heard from veterans, and from all of the firsthand accounts of battles that I've read, being on the receiving end of suppressing fire is a truly terrifying experience, especially if it's well directed and being delivered by a sufficiently powerful weapon (which reminds me: I wish OFP also had Infiltration's stupifyingly realistic bullet penetration and ricochet system). By forcing the AI and the player to physically respond to suppressing fire in the manner you've designed, you've actually made the experience immersive on a more emotional level, and that's no easy feat in any game!

When I first experienced the "auto-dive due to fear" feature, I was annoyed at the lack of control and how my ability to respond to the dreadful circumstances was now limited. But the more I experienced it, the more it dawned on me: the suppressing fire was actually creeping me out. Furthermore, the more I practiced with the "limitations" of the system, the more that I learned that there are ways to use it to one's advantage other than to deliver suppressing fire on the enemy yourself. More often than not, the fear-diving was saving my butt, and this was especially true if I immediately responded to crawling to a new location that was safer than the area I was once at.

I strongly encourage those who dislike the fear-diving to keep experimenting with it in the game. I've learned to accept its supposed limitations, and as a result I have actually raised my survivability while simultaneously ensuring that my heart will be pounding the entire time! A double plus as far as I'm concerned.

Solus, I wish I knew the exact variables that you are using when calculating the "terror threshold" that'll force the players and the AI to fear-dive, but I'd like to toss some ideas your way. No matter what you do with them, I'll be eager to try them out.

It seems to me that the more highly trained/experienced a target is, the closer he can get to a suppression-firezone without having to go into a fear-induced response. The more experienced a unit is, the more quickly they'll recover from their fear. For example, I noticed that in the current build I can momentarily get into a crouch before the suppressing fire once again forces my body to go prone. The more experienced a unit is, the longer he can stay in a crouch to assess the situation and do what he REALLY wants to do instead of responding out just out of fear.

The more powerful the weapon is, the greater the odds that the player/AI respond in a fear filled fashion.

The higher the volume of rounds being directed in the target's direction, the more likely it is that the target will succomb to the dreadfulness of the situation.

I'd also give a small percentage chance that a unit will "not" respond typically to suppressing fire. Their behavior could be explained as being truly brave, or truly foolish (perhaps due to being scared out of their mind) depending on what the consequences of their actions were.

And if it's possible to incorporate the fear-inducing response for other types of attacks, such as from explosives (especially artillery and mortars) then I'd certainly be in favor of those additions as well.

It would also be great to incorporate some of advances from WGL's mod, especially their ringing-ears-due-to-explosion-proximity effects and the effects of pain on the screen.

And if I haven't given you enough to think about biggrin_o.gif then by all means if you think you can make Infiltration's ironsights freeaim and bullet penetration system a reality in OFP then please feel free to do so. You'd blow away the minds of the community members with such an advance.

If you feel that the community's really putting pressure on you to remove the suppression system, please don't remove it entirely. If it's possible to include it as an alternate set of configs please do so. It's had a hugely positive impact on me, and I doubt that I'm the only player to feel this way.

And Thunderbird86, I'm grateful for your response regarding my inquiries, and I'm happy to hear that you're in the process of removing the "can't go upstairs" bug. It just dawned on me that every weapon continuously fires tracer rounds, suppressed or not. I've even disabled tracers in OFP's Difficulty options menu, and the tracers are still there. Is this related to a FFUR bug, or a SLX one?

Without a doubt, us OFP community members have benefitted greatly from the hard work of individuals such as Solus and Thunderbird, and I'm very grateful to them.

Goodnight All,

Yours,

Kyle

Nov. 30, 2006

smile_o.gif

Solus: I can only join in on the praises from Kyle_K_ski. 1.08 is a work of art!

For me who do not own an broadband connection this addon will keep me playing OPF for years more, but i truly hope that this addon will be converted to ArmA in the future.

Often i just set up a bunch of squads (East&West) in the editor and set myself as civvie and just watch the show. (Now how many games would get you to do that?)

i'm not against surpressive fire at all , i think it is great , just a couple of things should be polished so the player don't get stuck animations or is unable to use some weapons when he should , if these issues were fixed the system would be just perfect smile_o.gif