Solus

SLX Replacement Pack, Mod, and Addons

Thanks Solus for config.bin. smile_o.gifnotworthy.gif

anyone see this mod please download it wink_o.giftounge2.gif .

Kyle great post!

I have to agree with these guys 100%

I bought OFP the first week it came out and last night had the greatest infantry firefight ever using Vietnam 1954's first mission with 1.08. It lasted over an hour and was balls to the walls intensity. Even after I was critically wounded for 10 minutes RT, I was riveted watching the chaos around me, until finally a medic was able to get to me. I can't think of another game where I would not only tolerate, but enjoy being knocked out of the action. Eventually I got behind the enemies positions, using duck and shoot to draw their fire helping my squadmates advance. The new fatigue system really forces you to pick your actions carefully and know where your cover is.

This is the Golden Age of OFP. Many thanks to you Solus, Snake-Man, Ebud,Q, T-Bird and all the rest of you very talented modders biggrin_o.gif

I have played this mod with CSLA,FFUR2006,ECP but when playing with WGL 5.1 I do not get all the effects from SLX,

can anyone help me understand the config installation from slx update 1.07 into WGL 5.1..ill appreciate it. thanks

fantastic work on this mod! Are you planning to do a port for ArmA once modding tools get released? Because your mod is actually preventing me from really playing my newly bought AA, ofp in its current state with SLX is just so much more intense than vanilla AA... You delivered more than I ever hoped would be implented in AA. Please consider an AA port!

Wow!

I'm pleased that so many members are endorsing the contents of my last post. That's a good thing since I put so much time into writing it! smile_o.gif

I neglected to mention that if adjustments were to be made to the fear-diving along the lines that I mentioned above, that I strongly feel that there shouldn't be a CLASS of units that are completely immune to the fear-inducing effects of suppressive fire. Even highly trained and experienced special forces units would be affected, but they would be affected to a lesser degree.

Is there any way to modify how the AI moves during combat? One of the AI movement limitations that drives me crazy is that they're seemingly incapable of sidestepping/strafing. I can't count the number of times where I've had AI run past me and then slowly pivot on their heels to align the centers of their bodies with my position before they'll even take a shot at me. This limitation is quite absurd to see, and if there's any way to broaden their movement capabilities so that they're able to sidestep/strafe, that alone would be a tremendous advance that would make the battles much more immersive and intense.

Unfortunately for me, I was quite disappointed in the videos I've seen thus far of Armed Assault, because I have yet to see the AI do any sidestepping during combat. Let me be clear, I'm not advocating a sidestepping system that allows strafewhoring in a game, but to not have sidestepping at all is a huge oversight. Infiltration did a great job with how it allowed strafing in a realistic manner (it's a slower way of moving one's body), and as such naturally goes a long way to preventing the kinds of unrealistic strafewhoring that other shooters thrive on.

Esti_the_big, I'm sorry to hear that Armed Assault's game play experience is lackluster right out of the box when compared to Solus' fantastic mod for OFP. In my opinion, the kinds of advances that Solus is achieving on his own without remuneration are the kinds of AI advances that should have been at the very top of the "To Do" list when Armed Assault was being developed. Your report on your experiences makes me all the more appreciative that we have such a robust modding community who is passionate about pushing the limits as far as they can go simply because they deeply love the game and are willing to freely share their hard labors to those who would wish to benefit from them.

Yours,

Kyle

Dec. 1, 2006

smile_o.gif

hey guys, just for your information:

OFP with DXDLL, FFUR and SLX is the best experience possible on this planet!

Why I'm saying this?

Well, for the last two days I played ArmA with the latest 1.01 patch for the german version, and.... I'm really disappointed!

ArmA never comes close to OFP 1.96 with DXDLL, FFUR, SLX.

Not in graphics, not in gameplay, not in performance and not in terms of effects and absolutely not in terms of sounds!

So right now I'm reverting back to OFP! Thanks Solus for bringing us the best experience for a FPS game on this planet!

THANK YOU!!

And of course thanks to Kegetys for DXDLL and thunderbird84 for FFUR2006 2.5!

I think GDCE had a system in which AI soldiers advanced in skill according to thier kills/completed missions. It would be great to have these fear/stamina attributes reflected in this so you could really notice a difference in the in your squad makeup. Send your 'greens' out to scout while keeping your veteren aces in reserve etc...

@Solus

There is one thing that SLX is worse than FFUR. FFUR had included the M47 Dragon Launchers in the Bradley's and AT4 missiles. When using SLX there are shovels and axes included in this vehicles. Uhmm.... these items are really useless for OFP. I would rather see back the weapons in there. Don't know which other vehicles had some of the weapons onboard. But I remember that the trucks, M113's and HMMWV had some of the AT weapons and the choppers had different rifles onboard wihich was very useful.

Maybe you can remove the useless shovels and axes for the next update and replace them by the useful weapons.

Ive recently started playing this mod and trying at all the new features, I noticed something odd, its as if my ammo readout has been pushed into the left of the screen.

ammojq7.jpg

I have the latest version and Im not running any other mods. Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but any help is appreciated.

Solus any chance you and Thunder can work together to incorporate SLX into the next version of FFur so that I can get to auto install.

Despite following all the directions, FFur just freezes with SLX.

In fact SLX alone crashes as well.

BTW is there any chance that my ATI x800 supports HWTL and yet would not show "enabled" the graphic options?

I assumed that it was not supported so I ran the non HWTL batch. Maybe that is the problem?

Shadow NX: I've tested out the SLX Wounds script and found out that it was missing some defines that weren't initialized. I've added some checks to make sure they are there and that it should work in all conditions, thanks for finding the bug! :] I'll make sure that it can work by itself and with addons in the next update.

Kyle_K_ski: Thanks for the great reply! I used to play Infiltration too, and I read Dslyecxi's article, it's pretty cool. :]

I'll try and make the suppressive fire animation less annoying and make higher skilled units have less stamina loss when getting suppressed and get forced to prone less often with all units having at least a small chance to have no effect. The suppressive fire effects are triggered when six shots have been fired within a small amount of time, and the shooter is considered an enemy of the squad getting shot at. There's no simple way to detect how powerful the weapon that is being fired is so it would be too difficult to include that in the conditions. I might add something that can cause a squad to get suppressed just from single rounds, like from artillery in a future update though. The suppressive fire can already be disabled completely if someone doesn't like it.

I've thought about having iron sights free aim and have done some tests, and I think Sanctuary has done some too. It seems possible, but it would be a large feature to implement because of all of the different weapons that would have to be aligned. I might try it sometime but it would probably be incompatible with most addon weapons unless they were realigned to the new models and animations. The bullet penetration is possible as I think DanAK47 made a script with bullet penetration, and it wouldn't be hard to do something similar in the GL3 shot effects script so that might be in a future update.

It's possible to make the AI's turn to the side more so that they can fire at a right angle from the direction they are running so that would basically have a sidestepping ability. But when they go prone they also turn as far as they can to the side, which looks very odd. In the default SLX config they can turn more but not all the way to the side. I think in WGL the AI's can turn all the way though. I'll consider making them able to turn all the way in the next update.

I'll try and include as many of your suggestions in future updates as possible, thanks for writing them up!

subroc, esti_the_big: Thanks! I will try and adapt everything to ArmA as soon as I can. :]

william1: The next update will hopefully be less annoying and better allow the use of other weapons. I haven't seen it myself yet but I'm thinking it's probably kicking out out of the RPG animations every time you're trying to fire, which has got to be really annoying. tounge2.gif

InteractiveBohemian: Thank you! :]

froggyluv: Glad you're having so much fun! biggrin_o.gif

rheydrich: the included config is for WGL 5.12, please make sure you have the latest WGL update.

Kroky: Thanks, glad you like it so much! Hopefully ArmA will open up even more possibilities. :] I'll try and research what all of the vehicles usually carry and add them to their cargo in the default SLX config in a future update.

ch_123: That's intentional, it hides the current number of rounds in the magazine but shows the number of magazines. To remove it delete the resource.cpp in @SLX\bin\

Tobruk: Sorry, I'm not sure what the problem could be. :[ All I can suggest is to try and remove the old @SLX folder and reinstall the 1.08 version.

We had school cancelled for the day due to a major snow storm, so that means that I have more than a measly half an hour to try out SLX with other mods today. biggrin_o.gif

I just finished a session with WGL, and I have to say that in regards to game play, I'm having the best experience with the combining of these two mods.

Solus, is there any way you can setup ironsights in the vanilla OFP and all the other mods to behave like WGL's? Their system seems to rely on not having any magnification when one's aiming down their weapon's ironsights, and that's exactly how ironsights should behave: with no magnification. I'm finding it much easier to keep track of my targets this way. In default OFP and other mods, when one aims down their ironsights there's a large jump in view due to how there's a "zoom factor" associated with their weapons' ironsights system. In real life and even with controlled breathing, there is never a "zoom in" effect. What you see before you aim your weapon is pretty much what you see when you do aim your weapon.

A common experience for those who've first played with Infiltration's ironsights freeaim system is that on one level they feel that hitting a target is "...too easy..." and that's largely because there's no magnification taking place when one's ironsights are brought up to the eye. You can easily keep your eyes on your targets without having to worry about "zooming past" them. However, Infiltration's ironsights freeaim system is challenging due to the fact that the center of one's ironsights is not "pinned" to the center of the screen; a player can be looking one way, moving another, and then have their firearm pointing in a different direction altogether. When one thinks about it, the human body moves this way in the real world. Infiltration does not supply an "aiming HUD" from the tip of its barrel out along its firing trajectory as is an option in OFP. When one squeezes the trigger in Infiltration the rounds always go where the barrel is pointing, aimed or not. One can aim in multiple ways due to the fact that one's arms are free to traverse while holding the firearm, this requires the player to continuously direct their arms' positioning because they're obviously supporting the firearm--and this is just how it is in the real world.

So I'm petitioning that if it's feasible, have all the ironsighted weapons (sidearms, assault rifles, rocket launchers, etc., etc.) have a setting of 0 (zero) magnification in the different mods' configs.

In my mind right now, it would be an astonishing endeavor to have the scripting/coding work of WGL and SLX merged together, and yet written so that it's still compatible with other mods. The marriage of FFUR's graphics with the coding genius of SLX/WGL would certainly be an amazing experience to have.

I have to agree with froggyluv, OFP is in its Golden Age when it comes to modding. And am I happy to be able to partake of its fruits.

Now it's time to get a little more SLX+WGL testing in before Battlestar Galactica starts.

Yours,

Kyle

Dec. 1, 2006

smile_o.gif

• Like 1

Need some assistance with enabling a WGL-modified model pack so I can replace the default infantry with ones that look a lot better.

I found out from visiting WGL's site ( http://ofpc.de/wargames/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?721 ) that they have kindly supplied the community with several packs of models to replace the ones that come predefined in their mod.

I read through all of the instructions several times, and I want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly, because so far it's not working properly with SLX and the WGL mods working in tandem.

First I extracted the "@WGL_DMApackARMY" directory and placed it within the "Operation Flashpoint" directory. According to the README, I had to also install the original "@DMApackARMY" into the "Operation Flashpoint" directory as well, and this I have done. The README for the WGL version of the DMApackARMY specifies that I have to go into the @wgl5 directory to gain access to the model_base document that's stored within the bin folder, and then erase the two "//" in front of the line that mentions the DMApackARMY. Deleting those two lines enables the models to be used by the mod, and this I have done.

I then altered the shortcut's Target to this:

"C:\A\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -mod=@SLX;@wgl5;@DMApackARMY;@WGL_DMApackARMY

When I launched the mod from this shortcut I did not see the new WGL v. 5.12 all-black field with red lettering GUI, but rather I saw the older version of the GUI; the one that had all the beautiful clouds. When I loaded up Clean Sweep I was greeted with the following message, "Cannot load mission, missing addons; wgl_wep [OK]". I did not have the fields of tall grass, nor could my avatar lean/roll, although SLX's buildings were there. The sounds were different, and the death animations were quite different than what's in SLX (they also animate more smoothly and naturally than the animations currently being used by SLX).

So, I decided to swap the Targeting order around a bit for the shortcut, and I ended up with this:

"C:\A\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -mod=@SLX;@wgl5;@WGL_DMApackARMY;@DMApackARMY

and I received the same errors as stated above. huh.gif

What am I doing wrong? It's very late for me right now, and my mind's mushy, but I seem to recall that I was not supposed to use all of the contents as found in the original @DMApackARMY directory, but I am unsure of this now.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, WGL's AI use grenades much more frequently and effectively than SLX's do. A very nice and nerve wracking touch.

And Solus, I'm happy to hear that you used to play Infiltration as well. To have someone who has experience with the tension filled game play of Infiltration working on OFP mods can only be a good thing, and the proof is in the pudding as they say!

Good night!

Kyle

Dec. 2, 2006

biggrin_o.gif

Hey Kyle

The way I do it is put the EST_troops.pbo, WST_troops.pbo, EST_weapons.pbo, WST_weapons.pbo (don't know if those two are necessary) and restroops.pbo from DMA into the @wgl5\addons folder.

Then make sure @slx comes last in your shortcut, and is not followed by a semi-column: -mod=@wgl5;@slx

The GUI isn't WGL5-like, but you should get "wargame edition" at the bottom of your screen.

Take all my info with a pinch of salt, I may be wrong on something, but at least my settings seem to work!

Solus,

I have tried the SLX pack, and for the most part I am highly impressed. There are a few quirks and polishing some things could use, but the concept is superb!

I have successfully made an I44 config for SLX, as well... I'll try to release it once the new I44 release is made (better hurry up Winters!wink_o.gif

Also, there is a way to use SLX and another mod, w/o changing the original mod. You just need to copy the complete new BIN folder into a third mod directory, and create a shortcut. For example, I have one set up for WGL:

- Flashpoint\@WGL5

- Flashpoint\@SLX

- Flashpoint\@WGL5_SLX

in @WGL5_SLX, there is one folder,

- Flashpoint\@WGL5_SLX\BIN

in that folder, I put the BIN folder that normally is created by combining the WGL5 and SLX-for-WGL bin folders. Then I have a mod shortcut, with a target of:

-mod=@SLX;@WGL5;@WGL5_SLX

This loads all the data and addons from SLX, then the data and addons from WGL and then the combined mod config. The only drawback is that b/c WGL has its own DTA directory, you lose the fancy SLX effects (unless you make another change... see my post below) The one thing I still want to try to figure out is how to have a seperate SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf, since I44 really needs its own.

Best of luck in continuing the work, Solus, and good job! biggrin_o.gif

edit: corrected mod loading order

Thanks very much for the release Solus but I have a question are you going to add to artillery the ability to take a shovel ?

MSMS_KDXer,

Would you be so kind as to post your combined WGL & SLX config for your combined-directory setup? I'm having all kinds of weird issues, usually a set of SLX effects are missing depending on the Target order of the mods in the shortcuts' Properties. I have tried Igor Drukov's kind advice, but I'm still getting "Cannot load mission..." errors, one dealing with the absence of wgl_wep and wgl_men.

I badly want to have the new bullet collision/smoke/flame effects, timed grenades that don't immediately explode on contact with a building or with the ground, and the terrifying effects of suppressing fire on its targets. No matter what I've tried, one or more of these amazing features always seems to be missing for me, and it's annoying to say the least.

I'd deeply appreciate giving your setup a solid go.

Yours,

Kyle

Dec. 3, 2006

smile_o.gif

MSMS_KDXer that is what i did with tonalredux and works fine , that way i can play tonal with and without slx without having to add and delete de bin folder that contains the slx config ,you just need two shorcuts , it is very comfortable biggrin_o.gif

Do not alter the pbo files that come with WGL, there's no need to do that. There should be no problem running the custom models with SLX, I do it all the time and there has never been a problem.

First of all, you don't need to run the dma army pack itself, just the addons that are in the @wgl_DMApackARMY archive. The DMA army pack itself has its own config and special effects, you do not need it. All that you need other than that WGL model pack is to change (IIRC) the model_base.hpp, comment out the default wgl models entry and uncomment the dma army pack entry. I'm running SLX with WGL, Ryan's models and the AT weapons pack. No hiccups, no other problems. In fact, I'm running with some other wgl model definitions altered so that the saboteurs appear as special forces. This is an issue best brought up with the wgl guys, though, as it is not an SLX problem.

• Like 1

This really is a super mod and adds a great deal to the OFP experience. I do have a couple of suggestions. I really like the realism of the A.I.'s ability to call in troops and armor from the surrounding area, but I think it needs to be toned down a bit in order to maintain the playability of the original missions. For example, on "Ambush" my team gets taken out very early because a whole slew of extra tanks rolls in, and with the tank gunners' high accuracy and ability to see troops from a long distance its really no competition even for a infantry unit that has anti-armor capabilities. I eventually finished the mission after a couple of HOURS and countless deaths by using guerilla tactics and scavenging RPGs to take out the multitude of T80s, shilkas, T72s etc. that showed up. I also had to kill over 90% of the ground troops myself in addition to destroying about 10 armored targets.

Another thing that I'm noticing more with this mod than I did with just FFUR is that often the soldiers will change direction and fire with accuracy with out every getting set. Also, when going prone they often shoot immediately with high precision instead of taking a moment as if to line up the shot. Maybe I notice this more with SLX because of the increased aggression. Is their a way to make it so the soldiers have to wait a second or two before firing with any accuracy after they identify a target?

the new version of the SLX MOD is really neato but i find some errors that kinda bug me a little and some i think r done intentional.

-going prone automatically when under fire (must b that fear thing u put)

-giving orders to squad mates even though i didnt issue em ex squad disengage

-game crash frequently

-when in a village squad mates automatically go in full alert phase. There soppose to b relaxing but instead they go on full alert and try to hide in buildings. example of this is in the campaign mission called alert or camping.

-kinda laggy due to the so much smoke thats in the air after engaging a tank. i dont kno if that is how it really happens in real life so i wont go on about it too much. feels kinda awkward tho that i am fighting with smoke all around me lol

everything else is perfect such as how when u r under fire your aiming goes bad cuz of the fear u have. u can even hear yoiur players breath when engaging enemies its awesome. Again i love how ai just takes cover in those buildings one time i was playin a mission where i was defending a town and the soviets came and they used a grenade launcher to blow out the building full of everyone taking cover inside now that is SMART!!!!!!!!! Effects r great too such as the fire and ai dragging the bodies its so cool

things that would b cool to the next update if possible

-black ops with special abilities like climbing on buildings and swimming (PS: the black ops and spetz natz r great at stealth i had a hard time trying to find a spetz natz dude shooting me in a nearby bush GREAT!!!wink_o.gif

-Adding radio noises in tanks like ECP did

-If possible limbs flying off after being hit by a large caliber weapon like the M2 machine gun or a Abrams turrent(arms, legs, and head)

-Get shot in the head and the helmet flies off seen a addon or something like that where helmets come off. That would b cool

Not much else to think of cuz this MOD has everything that i want in flashpoint. You solus continue to impress me and everyone else with this awesome MOD keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE SLX inlove.gif lol

in that folder, I put the BIN folder that normally is created by combining the WGL5 and SLX-for-WGL bin folders.  Then I have a mod shortcut, with a target of:

-mod=@WGL5;@SLX;@WGL5_SLX

This loads all the WGL mod, then the data and addons from SLX, and then the combined mod config.  

KDxer, I am assuming that you place the SLX mod config bin file in the opflash\@WGL5_SLX\Bin folder right?

I tried this with ffur2006 and the game failed to load.

Still working on getting SLX to work.

confused_o.gif

MSMS_KDXer,

Would you be so kind as to post your combined WGL & SLX config for your combined-directory setup? I'm having all kinds of weird issues, usually a set of SLX effects are missing depending on the Target order of the mods in the shortcuts' Properties. I have tried Igor Drukov's kind advice, but I'm still getting "Cannot load mission..." errors, one dealing with the absence of wgl_wep and wgl_men.

I badly want to have the new bullet collision/smoke/flame effects, timed grenades that don't immediately explode on contact with a building or with the ground, and the terrifying effects of suppressing fire on its targets. No matter what I've tried, one or more of these amazing features always seems to be missing for me, and it's annoying to say the least.

I'd deeply appreciate giving your setup a solid go.

Yours,

Kyle

Dec. 3, 2006

smile_o.gif

OFP loads the mod folders sequentially, and it does overwrite anything previously loaded. What you are likely encountering is the fact that WGL has its own DTA folder... overwriting the DTA from SLX (since SLX is loaded first). You cannot load WGL first, since then the WGL bin would be overwritten. So its kind of inevitable.

However, you can bypass this problem with (yet another) mod folder... say @SLX_DTA. In that, copy the DTA folder from SLX. Then in your mod shortcut, make it read:

@SLX;@WGL;@WGL_SLX;@SLX_DTA

That will add the SLX data at the end, so you will have the new effects as well. Or you can just put the DTA folder into your WGL_SLX mod folder, too. Either way you will need a seperate copy, and remember to watch your hard drive space, as those files are large.

EDIT: Just realized I made a pretty important error in my first post... oops.

KDxer, I am assuming that you place the SLX mod config bin file in the opflash\@WGL5_SLX\Bin folder right?

I tried this with ffur2006 and the game failed to load.

Still working on getting SLX to work.

confused_o.gif

Yes, but remember to make the combination. To get the correct BIN, you have to copy the BIN from the WGL5 folder to the WGL5_SLX folder, then copy the SLX WGL-mod BIN into the WGL5_SLX folder, overwriting any files it finds. If you just use the SLX WGL-mod BIN, I believe it is missing files. The same may be true for FFUR, although I have not tried it.

Hope that helps smile_o.gif